This might just be a personal peeve, but...

This might just be a personal peeve, but...
« on: Aug 27, 2016, 07:20 PM »
While I might offend some people I will not apologize for my personal opinion as a fellow content creator and only wish for a civil discussion about the topic is possible.

I understand that I haven't been the most active member of Void with college ramping up and my other actives taking charge however, this is a trend I have discovered on almost every forum of creating characters or role playing as existing characters. While I whole heartedly encourage and enjoy crafting relationships between characters (wither it be canon or crack) I cannot help but be somewhat frustrated with shipping too quickly. For example, several new characters from the invitational and other wise, having submitted a single comic or not, seemed to develop pairs/shipping before a moment of character development has been portrayed. In other forums, such as dA, this problem effects numerous member's urge to participate if they feel extremely left out or with little means of character development.

Of course if your character has to sleep around or kiss everyone for a plot related things (you're the last of your race and need to reproduce scenario) then I don't mean to bash that sort of creative drive. On the other hand, when this mass shipping or pairing with no character interaction or little interaction within a small number of comics occurs many people feel less motivated to develop a strong backstory and flesh out a character. As such I'm left wondering if I should even work on fleshing out my character and thoughts or should I just hop on the bandwagon and have my character's shag every attractive character in sight. Perhaps there is a way around this system or perhaps my concern will fall on deaf ears as everyone continues to ship whole heartedly but, I am losing motivation to even complete jams or participate in Discord with little promise of my character gaining anything or growing as a character.

Re: This might just be a personal peeve, but...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2016, 08:08 PM »
I personally see your point, Nana. It is definitely important to create some character development and drive before just outright jumping into a pairing and just suddenly make it happen in comic or jams just because it's the easiest way to get that out there. On the flip side, some people experiencing this feel welcomed or flattered by this sort of thing because of a potential way to create some interaction between characters and maybe even story plots. Members are having fun with it, but it's important to not lose sight of what the point of the site is: to make comics, improve, and have fun doing it. So if someone has an actual pairing you want to go through with and have fun, the best way to do it in void is get to making comics

In my opinion, I don't think you should give up and not bother just because something like this is becoming more common now. If you're out to improve or develop a story based around your character, you should definitely do it, regardless of whatever current trend may be happening. Many members don't even participate in this sort of thing either, they're just out to make comics. There will be people on the site that will appreciate your work, shipping or no shipping.

edit: I have no clue why that went to -4444 size. fixed
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2016, 08:16 PM by Cracking Skulls »

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2016, 09:50 PM »
The point of VOID is to make comics. The REASON that people make comics here can be extremely varied.
You need to realize that people are here for different reasons. Some people don't care about backstory or character development. Some people just want to draw action and some people draw romance. Some people are very serious about improving their work and others aren't as much.
Honestly, try not to focus on what other people are doing and focus on your own development as an artist. Like Skulls said, we will appreciate your work and growth regardless of content. There have always been little groups that form on this site, it's just how it goes. People with similar interests will flock together and do their thing.
If making your character bone everyone else in 5 seconds isn't for you then that's totally fine. But, if other people wants to do that, that's ok too, even if you don't agree with it. Don't let other people stop you from drawing what you want to draw.
There are plenty of people who don't give 2 shits about shipping, myself included, but as long as people are having fun and drawing then I'm happy.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2016, 11:15 PM »
Hey Nana!

I am reading this at like midnight and I am on my phone so this post is gonna probably be rife with spelling and grammar mistakes and an autocorrect mistake or too probably, but I just wanted to echo the statement that you should do you on the site and be proud of the comics you make.

We are all here to learn and get better and have fun, and sometimes you just need to stick with the community a bit before you find your path. It's a scary, daunting task to breach the seemingly impenetrable walls of a new place and it gets equally frustrating when you see other people somehow do it so easily. I know, I have been there, and will probably continue to be there as that happens not only here but anywhere else there is a gathering of people.

VOID is a place where you can learn and grow and prosper as an artist for sure, but it is unfair to expect that everyone cares, because there is no obligation there or rule stating they have to. Unfortunately that is just real life and doubly so if you decide to make this a career choice. What I can impart to you though is there are a lot of people here that do, and even though it may take time there are a lot of people here that would be happy to see you and other new people participate!

I also just want to say if anyone here is feeling out of sorts, or they are feeling down about things in the community and just want an open ear to vent to, feel free to PM me because I am open to listening. It doesn't make me feel good to read when people are having troubles so like I said I am all ears!

I don't like seeing you new kids down!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2016, 03:31 AM »
I am so sorry you feel this way, nana! We didnt mean to make anyone left out. Honestly the shippers here are a minority but we are a vocal minority because its what excites us. shipping isnt a requirement at all to your character's growth and story and we are happy reading all sorts of comics on Void because we are first and foremost a comics community! But sometimes we see a character and get excited about the chemistry they might have with another character, And then the artists might become friends and things escalate offsite from people sharing their headcanons. And Thats how they enjoy Void and theres nothing wrong with it, I dont personally think, since this is a hobby site and we are all here to have fun. But if we made it seem like its something you HAVE to do to have an appealing character then I apologize sincerely, that wasnt our intent. You dont have to participate in that at all. As others have stated, we all come to Void and interact with it in different ways. But the main point is just to have fun making comics in what ever way you prefer. I hope our way of having fun doesnt discourage you from participating.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2016, 12:11 PM »
I super agree with nana-banana.

I also wish more people would develop their character in comics instead of in jams.

I also feel like a complete stranger in this community sometimes.

(I also don't care for shipping, but that's just my personal opinion.)
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2016, 12:16 PM by Hiemie »

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07:16 PM »
My opinion may not carry the most weight, but I would like to chime in on this topic.

To be perfectly honest and as unapologetic as you are in your original post, I don't think you should let what other people do with their characters affect you as much as it seems to. In fiction it's not uncommon for characters to launch into a relationship extremely quickly. In real life, on at least 3 occasions with completely different people involved in each, I've seen people meet for the first time and announce their relationship within the same day. People are horny, co-dependent, afraid of dying alone, desperate to find someone they can connect with on some small level, or any combination of the above. Most importantly though, it seems a bit spiteful or even envious of you to feel so flustered over other artists deciding to connect their characters in such ways.

My character is a 10 year-old boy. When I joined this site during an invitational one year there was another artist joining at the same time with a 9 year-old boy. Our characters were similar, and our positions as artists joining a community centered literally around judging everyone where neither of us knew anyone was similar, so we felt a bit of a kinship and decided to make our characters friends. Not wait until we battled each other and have our characters meet, but rather retcon our characters into being friends already and pop up in one another's comics. It was comforting to feel that connection and that sense of friendship amidst a bunch of noobies competing to be the new hotness and a bunch of oldbloods sharing oddly contradictory words of wisdom. If anyone had told me "the fact that your characters are best friends without taking 6 issues to establish that connection offends me and makes me want to give up making comics," my honest response would have been "good. Bye."

Don't let the happiness of others on matters that don't even directly involve you affect you so heavily. If tomorrow PunkRockGirl spontaneously came out of retirement to do a consensual 16-page three-way scissor-fest with Wizzie Belles and new character Gale Garland I honestly feel they would be completely justified in doing whatever they wanted with their characters even without your permission. If the story was entertaining, up to Hats' usual quality, and used the full creativity of the situation that I've already begun imagining then I feel it wouldn't matter how briefly the characters had known each other, given how little time it takes in real life for people to change their relationship status on facebook after they meet someone who shares their taste in beer and music.

And most likely Abigail Lynnhaven wouldn't have her world rocked by a woman-on-woman-on-woman tryst occuring on the other side of town, she's got important journalist things to do. So it shouldn't slow Nana-Banana's progress either.

(Unless you had Abigail develop the ability to suddenly view the full experience, whether she wanted to or not, anytime someone in the city was getting it on. Like a sexytime-sense voyeur third eye. Then she'd have a legitimate reason for hating spontaneous relationships. Sounds like a pilot you could pitch to Showtime. Hmm....)

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07:50 PM »
To be absolutely honest I totally side with Cherubas. I think character development is not limited to what is shown in comic pages, a good character has a world behind them, the story we are following is just a tiny window which thru we are able to spy the characters from time to time!

I forgot where I was going with this.

I just think both shipping and not shipping are ok, nobody should feel bad for not subscribing to the other side's ways.

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:13 PM »
I just think we should be drawing more comics.
MOST IMPROVED ARTIST 2016
MOST IMPROVED WRITER 2016

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:15 PM »
I just think we should be drawing more comics.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Then get out of this topic and go make some if you agree with that Hiemie haha. No malicious intent there when I say that ,but go make comics!

Also I will say there has been an upswing in the amount of comics being made lately, as there are quite a few to go vote on and there are quite a few also being drawn. So that's cool.

« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Why not both?

« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:45 PM »
edit: this post I guess doesn't need to exist haha, I ninja'd Jii and misunderstood the post :V
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2016, 08:53 PM by Charlie »

« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:50 PM »
Oh wow your reply came in as I was typing my reply lol.

That said like consider the art jam ships as like stress relief/fun/supplementary material that you can choose to ignore or accept. Most of the people I see involved in this do churn out some cool comics anyway so I really don't see a big issue.

That said I do acknowledge that this can be a personal peeve nana, and I can only suggest tolerance. It's good that you brought it up as a peeve of yours tho, so at least now we know. :D

Also like isn't shipping happening in actual comics nowadays?

« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2016, 09:54 PM »
people should be able to do whatever they like within reason, but don't forget the point of void is making comics. Even though characters are a huge part of void, they aren't technically necessary for developing your art in the medium. If anything I would promote shipping activity to happen in a sincere comic format, even if it were to be restricted in just the forums.

« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2016, 10:45 PM »
reading this i feel like most aspects on the topic are already covered.

there is no one true opinion. everybody has a point and the right to act on it as long as it is in within VOIDs rules.
i also dont think this is about anybody should change their opinion but instead consider and respect all the other opinions stated. broaden your horizon and keep doing what is important to you.
(which for me isnt comic making most of the time, thus my record :) but therefore shipping is a fun and easy way to stay in touch/interactive even if i dont get around making comics )

« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2016, 08:12 AM »
This reminds me, we started doing comic jams: http://entervoid.com/index.php?board=33.0

This was intended to mix the fun of our silly jam themes with comic battles. I know that a lot of you enjoy jams and alternative universe stuff, so I'm hoping we can channel some of that into comics!

I just posted up a new one, Back to school, so if that interests you head on over and pair up with someone for a battle! You can also do 2 vs 2, or 3-ways or artist matches.

Now, go forth and draw comics.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

294 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us