Lucha! Lucha! Lucha!

Re: Lucha! Lucha! Lucha!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2016, 10:37 AM »
Dude this is one hell of a progress. You are doing good. I dont know what the approval commitee says but at this rate youll have your character in in no time

« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:10 AM »
Thank you!! Indeed I'm trying very hard lol.

« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:07 PM »
Updated the mask a bit and drew some top rope action! Then colored both.

« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:46 PM »
You're making some real nice progress, keep at it man!

« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:49 PM »
Definitely like what I'm seeing so far. And you seem to be getting the hang of using GIMP.

From the examples I've seen, I would like to see a little love given to the backgrounds, like perhaps a training room or stadium, just so the readers know where the character/event is taking place and not just floating in blank space. I understand completely that they're not fun for everyone (myself included), but you will grow more comfortable drawing backgrounds as time goes by. Practice and perseverance can take anyone a long way.

« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:03 PM »
I second that, backgrounds have always been a pain for me to draw and even now as I try to push myself to draw them more I still need a lot of work.

Also, references are your friend!

« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:23 PM »
Cleaned up the CS a bit. Having difficulty altering the hair to the intended color though. Might have to do a re-scan of the drawing and work from there.

Or you can just draw the character sheet again. Its clear you've tweaked and modified quite a few things since this initial drawing that it may almost need a second or even third go around to really solidify the look. You're on a site where you're gonna be doing pages and pages of what amounts to sequential repetition. May as well get used to it! :)

« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2016, 06:18 AM »
[member=21207]OberonGoat[/member] Thank you! I definitely use references! At least those I can find. I will need to find a good one that involves backgrounds and perspectives haha.

[member=6146]JayKat[/member] You bring up a good point. I've done little to no background work due to discomfort of attempting it haha. But, I know I need to do it :X I will definitely start on it!

[member=1262]Kozispoon[/member] Yeah, I've been thinking the same. Haha. It will need to be redone. And repetition is indeed key! Thanks for the tip!

« Reply #33 on: Feb 27, 2016, 09:52 AM »
working on page 2

« Reply #34 on: Feb 29, 2016, 01:26 PM »
Ok, so I just started lurking again today after like 2 or 3 or more years of inactivity (more like 5-6?) and I had to post here to say I love the idea behind a lucha character! Especially one based around Sami Zayn's old indie background El Generico!

Good luck to you! Make sure to listen closely to the advice given by the guys around here, they'll always steer you right and try to help you!

And now, I vanish back into the shadows!

« Reply #35 on: Feb 29, 2016, 05:54 PM »
[member=935]Enef[/member] Noooooooooooooooooooooooo, he is not based on samis character! Lol
In fact, I created this character and was later informed by a Void user of Sami's character. It was purely coincidence! Haha But I like the name I gave him so I kept it regardless of the fact :) I did change the work name though so it wouldnt truly seem like I ripped him off.

« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2016, 08:08 AM »
cool to see you playing with point perspective, you can liven up those buildings with random dots and cracks and spots, grime on the corners by the ground, a few posters/signs, etc. and don't forget to draw a horizon, be it mountains, buildings, etc.

Take into consideration where you want your word bubbles to be before you start laying down finishing inks, that way you're not stuck with compositions that inhibit good bubble placement.

« Reply #37 on: Mar 01, 2016, 09:02 AM »
You're making nice progress but you've got some major perspective issues. You seem to understand the concept of it, but you're not really implementing it correctly.

Page 2, first panel:
Classic 1 point perspective. What you're doing wrong here is that with this technique all of the horizontal lines of your buildings should be parallel to your horizon line. Where it stands out is in the bottom corners of your doorways. You have the lines going diagonally, what point are they connecting to? Those should be horizontal.

http://i.imgur.com/KWgHOIx.png

more in depth here: http://www.totallylamerobot.com/void/horizonposition.jpg

The rest of your panels you're just slapping in a vanishing point and not considering scale. Remember: YOUR VANISHING POINTS DO NOT HAVE TO FIT INSIDE OF YOUR PANEL! On the second to last panel your horizon line is WAY too high. Lower it down because that's what's making your ring look awkwardly long. Draw scenes and then crop into them. Otherwise you're going to get the scale of the room wrong. You also have to draw your figures to fit in the scene.

Overall I think you're drawing the horizon lines way too high and limiting yourself to 1 point perspective too often. You need to move the vanishing point outside of your panels to make a more interesting or accurate scene.

Read up here:

http://entervoid.com/index.php?topic=10652.0
http://entervoid.com/index.php?topic=12151.0
http://help-me-draw.tumblr.com/post/118172712950/notes-on-perspective

You're on the right track for sure, it's just a little off.
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2016, 10:14 AM by Red »

« Reply #38 on: Mar 01, 2016, 10:34 AM »
[member=2620]PyrasTerran[/member] thanks for the tip! I was indeed thinking of adding such things once i began the coloring :D As for the bubbles, yeah I've found myself not giving myself enough room for bubbles on some panels. :/ Also it doesnt help that Im currently working with a comic panel template. lol. But it's just for now.

[member=1499]Red[/member] thanks a lot for the feedback man. Yeah, perspective has always been a weakness of mine. I use a lot of reference pictures to aid me but clearly it's not enough. :/
As for the first panel issues, do you mean the doorway edges where it meets to make the 90 degree angle?

Also, good call on that second to last panel thing. I didnt really notice (or see it) till you mentioned it and now i totally see it. When you say "crop into them," do you mean using the crop option in the art software? I think you do and if so, that will be the next thing I will need to learn how to do. I currently use GIMP and all I really know how to do right now is how to set layers and color, lol.

Thank you for those links and your help! I will totally check them all out. I am very grateful for you taking your time to aid me in my drawing!

« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2016, 11:56 AM »
I mean don't just draw what is going to appear in your panel. Sketch out the entire room so you know you have things set up properly, then you can use a portion of that sketch to make your final drawing. It's difficult to get everything placed correctly if you don't have things like the floor and ceiling for reference. You're getting the concept of bringing all the times back to the vanishing point, I'm just saying you can place it way off to the right or left and crop it out of your actual panel. I drew it out on the horizon placement tutorial.
I've never used gimp, but if you're drawing traditionally you can just sketch out the scene. 
Perspective is weird at first, but looking at photos helps a ton. Once you learn things like horizon point placement it will eventually become second nature when you're setting up a scene. But for now just be aware of how the placement will change your scene.

Let us know if any of that doesn't make sense, sometimes I am bad at explanations! :D

« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2016, 12:11 PM »
I'm gonna redo that second to last panel to see if im getting this perspective thing right. it's actually more difficult than i thought, haha.

« Reply #41 on: Mar 01, 2016, 01:54 PM »
[member=1499]Red[/member] redone the panel in pencil for perspective practice

« Reply #42 on: Mar 01, 2016, 05:52 PM »
better ! just be careful with that hand ^^

« Reply #43 on: Mar 01, 2016, 07:48 PM »
[member=21068]Radji[/member] Watchu talkin bout, Willis

« Reply #44 on: Mar 02, 2016, 01:50 AM »
i think he means that the hand/forearm is in line with the rings string wich looks a bit wierd.
other than that that panel is ace in comparission ;)

« Reply #45 on: Mar 02, 2016, 02:48 AM »
i think he means that the hand/forearm is in line with the rings string wich looks a bit wierd.
other than that that panel is ace in comparission ;)

Excatly !

« Reply #46 on: Mar 02, 2016, 05:20 AM »
Oo didn't even notice that. Thank you both!

« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2016, 10:07 AM »
not really comic related but i like it so im adding it here :)
it HAS given me an idea for the character though!

« Reply #48 on: Mar 05, 2016, 10:19 AM »
ha ha you should post that on what's hat pokemon topic on the forum, it's cool !

« Reply #49 on: Mar 05, 2016, 11:08 AM »
haha i totally did! that topis ic what made me want to make this ^_^

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Augustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan DealbhaothTarkos

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 26, 2024, 08:28 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

228 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 198.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us