Lucha! Lucha! Lucha!

Lucha! Lucha! Lucha!
« on: Feb 18, 2016, 12:57 PM »
UUUHGGH... HYPERVENTILATION ENSUING... breathe breathe... okay.

Hi!

So... I'm working on my first character for the website. I am not a skilled artist like all of you but I enjoy drawing and doodling and sketching. My mediums are pencil and pen & ink (if i'm feeling brave). I don't own any fancy art gadgets or software so my drawings are totally done monochromatic on notebooks lol.

Well, without further ado, here is my character (in progress)!

Name: Tito Generico
Working Name: El Codorniz Colorado
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 220 lbs

Bio (Updated 3/14)
Friendly, sociable, at times oblivious and happily ignorant, Tito finds little to complain about. Not even the condition (Hypermobility Syndrome) he was born with.
As a child, his escape from reality was watching wrestling on television and in person. It was love at first sight. So much so that it became an unhealthy obsession (with psychological effects) and a life goal to become a wrestler. At age 22, the dream had finally come true.

Tito was vigorously trained by Mexican Luchadores for 5 years during which he was a fan-favorite jobber (wrestler who routinely loses).  Even so, he still doesn’t understand a word of Spanish. In fact, he is under the impression that his luchador name, given by his first promoter, means The Silver Hawk. He is very proud of it.

As a wrestler with immeasurable resilience, exceptional durability, and hypermobility, he quickly became the go-to Jobber in the wrestling industry. He is particularly proud of his glorious man-bun and had a luchador mask specifically crafted to house the beautiful bun and leave it unscathed after every match. Due to the mask's unusual shape, and his unearthly pain-tolerance leaving his body nice and red after almost every single match, he earned the work name El Codorniz Colorado.

He sports a “LUCHA” tattoo across his right shoulder which is the symbol of a prestigious Lucha Guild. Luchadores Unidos Con Honor y Amistad (Luchadores United Coinciding with Honor and Amity).

Non-Recorded Psychological Evaluation:
•   Perceives the world as a giant wrestling arena.
•   Tends to see those he focuses on as a luchadores. (Mostly noticeable during confrontations.)
•   Rarely removes mask. Claims that it is part of him.

Mask Anatomy:
•   Yellow symbolizes immortality, optimism and cheerfulness.
•   Blue/Turquoise symbolizes loyalty, integrity, and clarity of mind (ironic?)
•   The colors also represent the California quail.
•   Conical Cap symbolizes the quail’s plume (and houses Tito’s man-bun)
•   Trim: Bird-like features that symbolize the quail.

“When I put on the mask, I'm transformed. The mask gives me strength. The mask gives me fame. The mask is magical. When I remove the mask, I'm a normal human who can walk right by you, and not even get a "hello". Usually with the mask on, everything is positive. Without the mask I'm a normal being who has his problems, who cries, who sometimes suffers…  And this human being sometimes sacrifices a lot to give the this other identity life” – El Hijo del Santo

"Have an up and coming superstar that needs to be fed a wrestler? Need a luchador to entertain your blood-thirsty fans as table fodder? Want to hire a luchador that will work for next to nothing and give you all he has in return!? Then El Codorniz Colorado is your man!" - Promoter

2/18 Character Update:

2/19 Character Update, plus scan, and post-it Chibis!(?):

"OH NO GREECE, BEHIND YOU! HES GONNA SETH ROLLINS YOUR ASS! XD" - Shen

2/20 Update: Page 1 of comic. It's currently a work in progress! Plus more!

First time digitally coloring stuff!

Second attempt at using GIMP

2/21 Update: Working with the coloring tools in GIMP

Cleaned up CS a bit. Still gotta do something about that hair.

Updated coloring on page 1 comic. (unfinished)

2/23 Update: touched up the mask design + some top rope action!

Update 3/7
Intro pages edited to fit 4 pages. (None are finished)

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

All feedback is appreciated. ALL OF IT. I WANT to get better!
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2016, 01:57 PM by Dumorte »

Re: Novice corner of anxiety
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2016, 01:26 PM »
YES HELLO I AM HERE FOR WRESTLE CHARACTERS

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2016, 01:28 PM »
of course you are, shen^^
As for you Dumorte, i 'm rooting out for ya !
Not enough wrestlers in activity in this website ^^

« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2016, 01:30 PM »
:D Lucha! Lucha! Lucha!

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Hay hay and welcome to VOID! Also don't panic. We all started where you were. Don't be afraid to submit comics you feel might not be your best work or sketches that aren't polished or complete. At the end of the day repetition, consistency and getting that art out there is the key. This place, over time will help you improve, but ya gotta be brave and put your stuff out there. You'd be surprised how far some voiders have come from their humble beginnings in the incubator, so don't lose heart.

First off- comics. I would much rather have this characters personality and occupation/abilities explained in a comic than a wall of text.

Try tinkering with a character sheet and draw this guy from all angles. Draw some expressions and varied poses that are things other than him standing there. From what you've given, I get the feeling you're just getting used to drawing this guy, so go at it.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2016, 04:18 PM »
Thank you! Definitely just started him. The pencil one is my first full body drawing of him. The bust is the second/third time. And thanks for the feedback!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Update on my character. Took some advice from RoflQu and, even though I do not have all the materials he suggested yet, was able to fix up my character with pens and sharpies, haha. This is a camera pic. Gonna see if I can scan it tomorrow at work.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2016, 10:59 PM »
dumorte if you don't have photoshop or sai or manga studio or corel or any of those you can find Gimp, it's a free program that does many of the same basic things and can be a good way to get started with digital enhancement. I'll help you clean up the linework once you've scanned it and you can test out GIMp to get some colors down (colors are only needed for the character sheet, for the reference of other artists. You can stick to black and white for your comics)

« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2016, 11:02 PM »
While PYras makes a good point, don't feel pressured in needing to do digital work. There are traditional comic artists on the site who make really great comics using the ol' watercolors,markers, and other media which should definitely be encouraged.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2016, 01:25 AM »
i second that! you´ll get better with your chosen medium the more you use it.
as for the comic pages. consider sketching out some trial intro pages to show here. they dont need to be final since the incubator is to help in the progress and not praising final works.
it helps figuring out what you actually wanna draw him like in action.

other than that i like the guy. not too much to say at this point :)

« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:20 AM »
[member=2620]PyrasTerran[/member] Thanks man! No I do not have any of those programs :X But I will definitely check out that free one! All help is appreciated ;)

[member=1262]Kozispoon[/member] thank you! I have always felt more comfortable with pencil/pen haha. But that's cause I've never tried anything digital! :P

[member=1276]Elyan[/member] I've been thinking about starting that. It's probably something I start this weekend. I'm still learning to draw (basically) so I'm taking babysteps lol.

UPDATE:

So, I just used the scanner at work, which sent me a PDF, to which I then took a screenshot and saved it in Paint as a Jpeg. The uploaded it into Photobucket and got the following:

Oh and I also drew him showing some mic skills.

Are there any recommended steps that I am not doing for proper scanning?
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2016, 06:23 AM by Dumorte »

« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:01 AM »
it's relatively clean for a scan, good job!

lay down some colors and then you can get started on some intro comic pages

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:06 AM »
That's the most terrifying thing I've heard in a while. I'll check out that GIMP site when I get outta work. Something about googling "Gimp" on my work computer is ringing an alarm in my head.

« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2016, 09:51 PM »
So i tried adding some color using the Gimp software and it was looking pretty awful. All my shadow lines got in the way and I guess the scan wasn't clear enough to make colors reach the lines. :/

With that said, I still went ahead and gave a shot at a page 1 for my comic! It's not completed yet and I have not decided exactly what to put on the last panel. Also, I do not own my owns scanner yet (I've been using the one at work) so instead I took a picture with my phone. But, this is what I have so far!

Re: Lucha! Lucha! Lucha!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2016, 10:51 PM »
I looked up a tutorial about getting clean line work in Gimp and found this, I hope it helps with the colors!

https://youtu.be/3FuIiQjpdnE

« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:01 PM »
Oooohh that does look very helpful! The ones I found weren't very good.... Thanks a lot! I'll totally check it out tomorrow! :D

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:44 PM »
I don't know GIMP off the bat really but does it have layers and does it have the option to use multiply on a layer?

if so, what you want to do is:

make 2 layers, one where you lineart is and one that is clean

set the lineart to multiply

color on the layer beneath it

this should help with things

you can also use the magic wand tool to select sections on the lineart and fill them on the bottom layer when you select it

this is kinda basic instrutions for most art programs so I'm hoping GIMP has these basic tools

Also great job completing your first ever page!

« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial video! Messing with it I was able to finish my first GIMP coloring! It's nothing fancy but it's my first so I'm excited lol.

It's Chibi Colorado getting ready to fight!

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2016, 01:49 PM by Dumorte »

« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Yay I helped!

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Attempt #2 at using GIMP. good lord i spent hours doing this :X

« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2016, 07:16 PM »
Totally forgot i drew this the other day. It was a rather quick(ish) sketch. Keep in mind that a "quick" sketch for me means about 30 mins. lol

THIS IS NOT GOING TO END WELL!!!! (For Colorado!)

« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Giving the comic page 1 a shot at coloring. (Colors not final)

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016, 07:27 PM by Dumorte »

« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:43 PM »
I'm kind of confused. Whose the kid in your comic page? Is that supposed to be Colorado? Why is he a green eyed red headed white kid in the past, but a mustachioed, black haired, dark eyed some-kinda-Latino all grown up?

« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:12 PM »
Still messing with colors. I had issues in the character sheet because of the lines that were scanned made anything but darker colors even worse. But eyes are still green and hair is a bit darker Brown than as a kid.

« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2016, 09:20 PM »
fixed up Kid Colorado's skin tone and hair.

Cleaned up the CS a bit. Having difficulty altering the hair to the intended color though. Might have to do a re-scan of the drawing and work from there.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016, 09:43 PM by Dumorte »

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

402 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 580.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us