Inspiration and influences: YOUR COMICS REFERENCES !

Inspiration and influences: YOUR COMICS REFERENCES !
« on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:48 AM »
I'm sure most of us had at least one artist that largely inspired us to draw or that heavily influenced our own personal style. I propose a quick homage to those masters .
Mines were:

Run, with MUTAFUKAZ

Singelin with THE GROCERY and FRESH FLESH AND HOT CHROME

NEYEF with SOUTH CENTRAL STORIES

Raf with DEBASER

MAUDOUX with FREAK's SQUEEL

ODA with ONE PIECE and JOHNEN VASQUEZ wit JOHNNY THE HOMICIDAL MANIAC. I don't NEED to show you those, at this point everyone know those.

That's all folks.
And you? What what your inspirations ?

Re: Inspiration and influences: YOUR COMICS REFERENCES !
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:51 AM »
Strictly comic artists? Or just in general? (I'm mostly inspired by videogames, but I don't wanna pollute the thread)

I'll just list off comics, though, to be safe:

One of my biggest inspirations is Go Nagai, the bizarre-ass manga artist who invented the trope of the piloted giant robot. As well as fanservice. He's a pretty big deal so far as anime is concerned, for better or worse!

(what the fuck)

I'm also a fan of Eiichiro Oda. His facial and body variation is very very noteworthy and distinct (and I really appreciate his writing). He used to have really bad sameface and samebody for his female characters, but he amended this in the Amazon Lily arc, so props to Oda for improving.

TOTALLY on the other side of the spectrum, but I also really like Alan Moore. Watchmen and Killing Joke are two out of the only three Western comics I've read (third being Deadpool and Cable. I just, don't care about Western/superhero comics, sorry).

(Also, Roflqu is a really good person to talk to about the art direction in The Killing Joke, he could talk a lot better and more than I could about it.)

I'm also a Gerald Scarfe fan. He does more political cartoons, but that counts, right? You may know his work as concept/character designer for Disney's Hercules (for every character but the eponymous lead); it's why that film's character design is so bizarre in relation to other Disney work.

I know him fondly from his work for Pink Floyd. I bought his book, Drawing Blood, and it's a very amazing and thorough volume if you're a fan of his!

And another tonal shift, but in terms of people who do webcomics, a big inspiration is Gigideegee/GGDG and Cucumber Quest. Not only because there's cute character design and amazing colorwork, but the writing is very wholesome and charming.

I also regularly read comics by former/current Voiders such as The Shufflers, Dungeon Princess, and Babe Warp, so if you haven't read those I suggest you do!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:53 AM »
yes i did mean comics artists strictly ^^
awesome references you have by the way ! I was genuinely surprised !

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2016, 08:57 AM »
and wait,Go Nagai !!!!? THE mother-devilman-fucking GO NAGAI !!!!! IT explain SO MUCH !
we are doomed.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:02 AM »
and wait,Go Nagai !!!!? THE mother-devilman-fucking GO NAGAI !!!!! IT explain SO MUCH !
we are doomed.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:04 AM »
we are doomed.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED !!!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:04 AM »
GO NAGAI FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I say old chap! Care for a spot of tea?

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:25 AM »
D'AAAAHHHH FUCK i knew i forgot someone

I also really love Junji Ito, especially Uzumaki, Gyo and ESPECIALLY Tomie. That probably isnt that big of a surprise, either.

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:30 AM »
hm, nope, this isn't much of a surprise after GO NAGAI.
Hey, it's even better than JHN CENA memes !!!..... Oh my satan what did i just said !!?

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:08 AM »
My comic inspirations are pretty diverse, so here's a handful of my favourite comic artists:

Mawil

Kirsten Rothbart

Becca Tobin

Robert Crumb

art spiegelman

Rebeccca Sugar

Disa Wallander

Bryan O'Malley

Tove Jasson

Posy Simmonds

Hellen Jo

and of course, Jamie Hewlett

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:34 PM »
Daaamn, Jamie Hewlett, i knew i was forgetting someone in my list !

« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:36 PM »
Oh good, I can put my ultimate hero on this list 'cause he has done some comic pages.

So number one, to get this out of the way, because it should be obvious -

Hiroyuki Imaishi

Yukito Kishiro

Kouta Hirano

Shirow Miwa

Joe Madureira

James Stokoe (do I really need to say more, we should all know him here :P)

Sheldon Vella (and this guy too :D)

« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016, 04:38 PM by Charlie »

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2016, 09:01 PM »
My biggest inspiration is probably Jim Lee, and especially the pencilling work he did on the Batman comic Hush. It's to date one of my favourite comics, period, and I own the pencils-only copy of the comic specifically to try and learn from it.  Instead, I usually end up fanboyng over it every time I opened it.

« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2016, 07:43 PM »
Not too sure who influences me from a writing perspective, but if we wanna talk visually, I have--

Osamu Tezuka-- As a kid who grew up with the anime boom of the late 90's to early 00's and is interested in classic American animation, his work covered the middle ground quite nicely.  Maybe this is who influences me most in both style and writing?

Tove Jansson--  Her lush illustrations are a delight, and her characters persuaded me to draw hands more often to convey expression.

Walt Kelly-- Again with the style.  I want to be able to create charming characters like this one day.

Gekidan Inu Curry-- something completely different!  I love the details that go into the backgrounds and how everything looks like a mix of dainty yet deadly.  Most recognizable examples are the witches from Madoka Magica, but I'll always hold a special place in my heart for their work on Maaya Sakamoto's "Universe" music video.

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2016, 07:45 PM by Pitafish »

« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2016, 08:12 PM »
My choices here are based on impact in my formative years for creating my style in my adolescence and early college days.

GOYA
startling, dark, and bizarre. One of my favorite painters. His art informed me of the aesthetics of brutality with his occultly violent subject matter.

GOGH
This man's paint strokes are literally crackling with life force. If you ever get a chance to see one of his paintings in person, you will notice that his paintings are shimmering with hypnotic tension. Gogh paintings taught me that the artist touch carries enormous gravity. He is probably the sole reason why i ink everything traditionally and paint the way i paint with acrylics.

DORE
I started crosshatching because i wanted to emulate this dude.

STEADMAN
I like Steadman for much the same reason i like Goya. His drawings are obscene, humorous and misanthropic. Furthermore they're bristling with energy. Looking at his art is like downing Redbulls.

OH! GREAT
I was a huge fan of his in high school. I did a lot of mastercopies of his art, trying to learn dynamic perspective and overlap- my layouts and action scenes are rooted in my obsession with this man's art.

ARAKI
I got into Araki in my college years. He is my prototype for how i use crosshatching now with the ink nib. I took a page on dramatic closeups.

OTOMO
READ. AKIRA. He's a master of architecture and perspective. READ AKIRA. READ AKIRA. READ AKIRA.

HARREN
I got into Harren recently. Definitely has that artist touch effect. I love how free he is with inks.

MOEBIUS
The master. No more needs to be said.

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2016, 08:37 PM by Choleric »

« Reply #15 on: Sep 06, 2016, 08:43 AM »

MOEBIUS
The master. No more needs to be said.

OMG, yes! I didn't actually discover Moebius until I was in college, but I instantly fell in love *_*

And also a big YES! to Walt Kelly. Those environments! Those inks! Just everything! 8D

Walt Kelly-- Again with the style.  I want to be able to create charming characters like this one day.

Although, I have to admit that I knew Jeff Smith's Bone first:

On the Manga side of things, one of my faves is Rumiko Takahashi. I know her best for Inuyasha and Ranma 1/2. Her characters are so soft and expressive, and she uses such a variety of subject matter in her comics:

And of course, gotta mention Miyazaki:

I'm also into Franco-Belgian stuff, so in that vein;
Lewis Trondheim, with the Donjon comics:

And, OMG, Pierre Alary. This guy is the bomb! I know him best for his comic Belladone:

I've also gotta mention a couple webcomic artists;

Emy Bitner and her comic Trying Human really inspired me to start trying more Western art styles:

And my absolute favorite webcomic, Gunnerkrig Court by Tom Siddell. Besides the writing and the art, one cool thing about the comic is that you can clearly see how Siddell has improved over the course of making the comic. It's really encouraging to see that you don't have to have everything perfect when you first start out:

Here's one of the first pages:

And here's some from later:

There's so many more artists I could mention, but it would make way too long of a post XD
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2016, 08:47 AM by Rhimwill »

« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2016, 04:08 PM »
Comic artist only, huh? Alright to save some space I wont mention anybody who already been brought up

Let's start with:

Jm Ken Niimura

I love the way this dude puts together scenes and action, and man, that art is to die for, those inks, that design! Crisp.

Kohei Horikoshi

of My Hero Academia fame, this guy is my dude! Great energy, great expressions, and i got a
particular love for the way he draws teeth!

NAKAYAMA Atsushi

This guy, where do I even start? This guy has some of the weirdest stuff I've ever seen, like some strange mash up between Imashi and Jhonen Vasquez, but man is it INTENSE. This guys willingness to break his characters features and anatomy to get a feeling across is something I admire the hell out of!

There's a bunch more but, they've either been mentioned, or are not comic artists so I leave it at that!

« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2016, 11:47 PM »

No need to explain my inspiration since it's right there in black-and-white. In fact, my inking style came from this guy himself.

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

445 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 504.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us