Trying to gathering ideas for characters...

Poll

Sual's Profession

Magic User (Of some kind.)
0 (0%)
Photogapher
0 (0%)
Detective
0 (0%)
Physic (Though Reader.)
0 (0%)
Other (Add a comment.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: Jan 13, 2016, 01:15 AM

Trying to gathering ideas for characters...
« on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:30 PM »
Trying to figure out what I should do with this guy. Any suggestions will help.

No idea how to wright a bio...

Re: Trying to gathering ideas for characters...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:58 PM »
Well, I suppose the first order of business would be to make a full-body design sheet to him.

However, what is this character about?

I'm not really getting anything from him beyond the fact he's a guy who is (presumably) wearing a blazer. What's his name? What does he do? What can he do? Are you married to this concept or is there any other character of yours you have a stronger idea about? If you gave us more to go on at all, you would probably have stronger suggestions about how to develop him, either visually or with regards to their story.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:04 AM »
Full body version of him.

Think I might make him be able to fight with this cane... Not sure about his name or other stuff.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2016, 12:12 AM by TheSni »

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:11 AM »
That looks really solid! I'm all about those poofy sleeves and vest.

I guess the next order of business would be working on your intro comics. If you don't know anything about this guy, then you could always try to explore it through his intro comics to figure it out. Certainly if he's just some fancily dressed guy who fights people with his cane, that's an acceptable option, but he'll be a richer character if he actually has some character to him. Do you have any ideas about him at all?

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:13 AM »
I was thinking he could have some kind of illness but I not sure what to make him ill of.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:29 AM »
Have any suggestions for writing a basic bio or a template that I could build off from?

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:24 AM »
Still trying to figure out what he should look like.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2016, 07:57 AM »
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2016, 11:41 AM by TheSni »

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:40 AM »
I was thinking he could have some kind of illness but I not sure what to make him ill of.

That's a start, but illness come in all shapes and form to the magical and fantastic (vampirism) to the mundane and not-fantastic (spastic colon). So, I guess decide whether his disease is going to be fantasy or based in reality.

Have any suggestions for writing a basic bio or a template that I could build off from?

Void has no predefined rules for writing bios. They come in all shapes and sizes. From the exceedingly short sentences to the paragraphs that describe much, and everything else that I didn't mention, there's a lot of options.

If you see a bio to a character that you like or wanna model after, go right ahead. You could literally just say your character's name (which, what is your character's name?) and that he's a vampire.

Literally, it could be 'Yancy is a vampire.' If you wanna give more than that, you can (and maybe you should), but honestly the site has no requirements regarding character bios. Ultimately, just write something down. If it make sense, go with it and if you don't like it then rewrite it.

If you have thumbnails (which I really don't know what's going on in them, but I can see them at least) then go take the effort to making the comic and see what you learn about him through that. It could help. The drawings look great, you clearly know what you're doing there, I like the design and I'm pretty sure once we see comic pages they'll be competent as well.

Does your character have a name at least for you to go off of? You could just start listing off shit about your character.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:44 AM »
I'm going to wait on that poll for the character name to pass before decide on his name.
Other then that everything is up in the air for him.

« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:26 AM »
Ideas for this character so far. Still think I'm missing something...
But that could just be me being a newbie.

Name   : N/A
Height : 5' 6"
Hair   : Black
Eyes   : Black
Skin   : Pale Peach

Bio :

Suffers from mild depression.
Has a no fucks to give attitude.
Walks with a cane. Without it, he limps with his left leg.
He's right handed.
He can defend himself with his cane, if he has to, as a last resort.
He's not a very mobile person, tends to stay and enjoy the sights more then anything.

« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:34 AM »
Trying to get his face to look right.

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2016, 10:57 AM by TheSni »

« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2016, 11:25 AM »
Now I'm not sure about this hair style...

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2016, 11:28 AM »
Props to RoflQu for leading the charge here! I hope you get some more feedback *nudges other VOIDers*

I'm really digging all the little details you're adding into this character! The skin tones you used on that latest version are legit! I think the main thing that's lacking is your character's motivation, driving force, raison d'ĂȘtre. If this person just lives in VOID, grew up there, etc. then maybe he's just trying to get by and stay away from all the crazy superpowered people and monsters and stuff. What's his profession? He sounds like he should be a writer or poet or artist or something, but he could also just have a super boring desk job and likes to imagine the art he'll create, but then he never actually gets around to making anything. Or maybe he's actually just a physical shell projected into this dimension by some other-dimensional being in an attempt to create a portal between dimensions and usher in the apocalypse when the horrors that lurk just beyond our reality seep through that portal and wipe out mankind in the most horrifying of ways. As it is now, your character looks cool, but at the core he's a blank template.

And you don't have to tell us what his real goals are or whatever; you just have to be able to know for yourself who he is and why he keeps going, and show us that there's something driving this character that makes his stories engaging and interesting to readers.

Anyways, I hope that helped, think your art is really interesting, and look forward to your next update!

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:06 PM »
I second every mention before.

My advise. Dont fiddle too much with his visuals at this point. You are clearly skilled with your tools. Its pretty much unimportant wich hairstyle or look you display him at first. This is a sort of developement that will take place over the battles you hopefully will show us in the future.

Concentrate on the character itself. Dive into him and go below the superficiality.
A good technique to get to know your character better are little question lists like these. http://tekkysfurries.tumblr.com/post/137069221442/get-to-know-me-uncomfortably-well
This is not the best sadly.
As mentioned before try out in comic form or just sketches how he would interact with other characters (of your choice though void ocs would be easy). Its like getting to know a stranger. But this stranger is your stranger with a cane.

The moment you feel your character as someone who could be actually real (as much as some stuff can be real *cough) you have it way easier to draw for him and to do comics.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2016, 12:08 PM by Elyan »

« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:07 PM »
Did a test animation to try and figure out his hair... Think it helped.

« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:13 PM »
I think the issue now is you are lingering too much on this character. He didn't come to you and now you are forcing a story for him. The design is relying too much on what we will say. I think your best off starting from scratch. Otherwise you are going to keep killing yourself over him.
MOST IMPROVED ARTIST 2016
MOST IMPROVED WRITER 2016

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:28 PM »

I really do want to work on this character.

« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:51 PM »
Hey there!

I could be totally wrong, but the incubator, to me seems to be a place to come to the community with your ideas and see how its received. In most, if not all incubator posts where a newcomers exclaim "Hey guys! Decide what this guy should look like/be named/powers should be/etc. They almost invariably end up with a character they ultimately don't want to use since its not theirs- its a mish mash of what the peanut gallery is lobbing at you over what might be cool.

If you wanna focus on hair, eye color and other accessory things, more power to you. There really is no deadline to get in. You can theoretically stay on the incubator for months if not years tinkering with the small stuff. Trust me, others have done so before you. XD , I can't speak for everyone, but the community excitement to dig into the nitty gritty with your character beyond the superficial is just our general excitement to get you in and do comics with you, but that's our damage.

In any case, I'll certainly keep my eyes open for when you dazzle us with some comic pages.

« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2016, 12:58 PM »
To kind of balance out what Kozi and Sean saying, my first character started kind of like yours, and I absolutely LOVE Ancelin. She's changed a ton since then, because as Kozi said, part of her character was just other people's ideas and opinions. The main takeaway is that if you bring your ideas to the table, listen to suggestions, comments, ideas, and critiques, and then just roll with it as you make your comics, your character can evolve and become what you want over time. You may end up with a well-fleshed-out character here in the Incubator, or you may get kind of a two-dimensional character that you develop through your comic matches. The most important thing is just to keep drawing and make some comics!

« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:39 PM »

« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2016, 02:43 PM »
That looks really solid, save for the incredibly small text.

« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Any recommendations for text size or font face? Not quite sure how big or small I should go with lettering.

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:36 PM »
Any recommendations for text size or font face? Not quite sure how big or small I should go with lettering.

The text could be a bit bigger. Like, if it's 12pt, try 14pt. Maybe 16pt? 

Also, on second look, your pages are kind of LARGE at 1800x1200. They should probably not be so large that we have to scroll left to right just to read them.

« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:00 PM »
I just now realized I used pt 5 on the font size. Oh man, that's way too small. Guess I do need to bump up the text size in the next one. Something more like this? I fixed the scale of the comic also not sure if it buggered out or not when down scaling it.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

358 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 306.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us