The First Draft Jam

The First Draft Jam
« on: Aug 28, 2015, 05:02 PM »
I did this for fun a few days back as i was going through my old sketchbooks so I figure i'd make it a jam.

Most likely you've gone through several concepts and drafts before actually deciding on a final design, or maybe you like to change your characters look every year.

So let's go back to the beginning and draw them as thier very first incarnation/concept:

They could be wearing their first outfit, or drawn in your old style, or whatever you feel like doing.

Bonus points if you can provide a reference of the first draft:

Satin's first concept from 2005:
https://40.media.tumblr.com/9fcff1cb25d709b524142bd83b81b812/tumblr_nsureoiXVo1s4x3o6o5_1280.jpg
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2015, 05:04 PM by Majikura »

Re: The First Draft Jam
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2015, 05:42 PM »
Long before Gray was the delusional weeping murder ghost we've all come to know and loathe, she was a Dungeons and Dragons character- a little eight year old psionic girl named Charlotte who kept her psion gem in her doll. She was not even my character lol, she was my husband's. She was killed by a lich, and we couldn't afford to resurrect her, so we put her in a treasure chest with a note that said "res me". When we came back later, the box was open, and her body was gone, but the note was still inside. We never saw her again.

later i revived her as the Gray we know for a superheroes campaign, and then entered her in an OCT.

edit: found the first ever drawing. Looks like there was supposed to be sleeves, whoops.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2015, 05:55 PM by Shen »

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Well you're in for a doozy because Wizzie started her life as a humble Rayman fan character and looked like this monstrosity.

Of course, she eventually became human. And I felt like drawing her in her design for shits and giggles.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2015, 01:47 PM »

If you've read Dolly's first two comics, you would know that she once had a power where she can create anything out of her imagination.

I removed such a power from her in favor of giving her a wand and magical girl powers.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2015, 08:49 PM »

hard to find the originals these days, but finnegan started life as a hyena anthro!

might get around to the others if I have time

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2015, 10:49 PM »
and now original cue:

https://41.media.tumblr.com/5646dc4baca4950750eca265dee8327b/tumblr_nsuqjfddSx1s4x3o6o1_1280.jpg

Interesting tidbit, Cue was created before Satin, but Satin made it into void before Cue did because I was lazy with doing her intro story.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2015, 12:44 AM by Majikura »

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2015, 11:21 PM »

My first drawing of Shift was from 2011! I had him visually more childish and androgynous to match his clueless nature, but eventually swapped it out with a sportier look to compliment Caps.
Capslock was created one year later, he was more slender-looking and much grumpier in personality :0 He definitely went through the most changes.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2015, 12:37 AM »

Boom and Meredith were from two totally different stories-

Meredith was originally an earth goddess (the other 3 were water, fire and air) and their kingdoms became unbalanced by evil forces (trying to corrupt her an her sisters) so they had their knight find a fifth girl to be their equalizer. Meredith's hands, at one point, started to rot and didn't want to accept things were going wrong and instead became bitter and unfriendly because she, being a goddess and used to being in power, could not control the bad things happening.

Boom came from a story that evolved into their current plot. She was much older and had a costume (a version of it is in my character thread). The story was about not mixing science and magic because the one could mutate the other. A science experiment went wrong and blinded a character. The group went looking for a solution and Boom was to give magical information and remind the group/readers of the world's rules. She was bubbly but was very nervous about breaking any of the rules in fear it would cause further harm.

SO YEAH

« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2015, 01:11 AM »
These are from a year before I joined enterVoid,

Arena never looked THAT different,

But she did have a sort of mecha form when she bonded with the person who dreamed the dream she was born from

« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2015, 01:44 AM »
Okay so I might have to do Remmy separately because he used to be creepy as fuck and I have to go digging for his FIRST sketch in a sketchbook somewhere.

Anyway Aurora used to be stupid thin, and I can't remember what my earlier plans of her were but I completely changed her motives and personality. Also, I was going to submit her by herself and I think there's a thread floating around here somewhere.

Oooooollddd:
http://fav.me/d2bkgfu

« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2015, 11:39 AM »

This is from Winter 2012. Audreymeda was originally the princess to a kingdom of people cursed to slowly rot and become liches. (In this image, the outside of her ears, and most of the flesh on her back, has rotted off)

This is from November 2013. Jiko Shi was originally named Jiiko Shinda, because I misspelled her name and also jikoshinda isn't a proper conjugation of 事故死

Anyways, she was a member of a college class of supernaturally-influenced kids (under a professor who was also a paranormal detective). She was catty, 'popular', and her major trait was an obnoxious Amy-Rose-ish crush on a vain dullahan.

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2015, 12:46 PM »
the other entervoid character I have that was before entervoid:

originally she wasn't Korean American, she was Japanese, and shy and easily flustered and good god I'm so glad I changed things up

« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2015, 01:22 PM »
I'd draw an image of Pyro in the old design, but she didn't really change all that much. Here is the original sketches that started this character from 2012:

And here is the most recent image of her I finished:

Most of the changes have either been stylistic or just small tweaks to the outfit, but nothing big enough to warrant really a redraw of the old design haha.

I do have some Ailie's tho, and Ferdinand! Maybe I'll do a redraw of them:

« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Audreymeda was originally the princess to a kingdom of people cursed to slowly rot and become liches. (In this image, the outside of her ears, and most of the flesh on her back, has rotted off)

a little eight year old psionic girl named Charlotte who kept her psion gem in her doll. She was killed by a lich

CONFIRMED: ORIGINAL AUDREY KILLED ORIGINAL GRAY

« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2015, 01:19 AM »
Conway's origins are a bit convoluted.

First, this is Speedy and Trashmouth.

They're demons I made for an RP who named each other so nobody could use their real names to summon them. Around the same time, I found Al Columbia's comics and got super into Seymour Sunshine, my favorite being I Was Killing Before Killing Was Cool, which also featured Knishkabibble the Monkey Boy.

(The dog head in Conway's Inferno is a reference to this scene, and a really nasty illustration of Pluto by the same artist)
So I drew Trashmouth and Speedy in a sorta similar style as a fun little thing because I was hyped about super creepy toon comics.

And then I realized I adored Toon Speedy.

I had been wanting for a while to play with the other toons on Void, and I was excited to find a design I liked, but I didn't want to actually use Speedy because his story is complicated enough and doesn't translate well to him being a toon. So I kept the visual aspects of the swept over hair, the freckles and facial hair, and the clown nose and threw out the personality for something new. I also gave him a nice hat as a little nod to Knishkabibble, and made his sidekick, Marty, have a vague resemblance to Seymour Sunshine, primarily just in his body shape and bald head. I also tried to make his smile creepy and unpleasant since the Cinnamon Boy smile stuck with me from those comics. (Conway is just stuffed to the brim with Al Columbia inspo, I kinda feel bad about it)

I also got way too excited and submitted him before I had drawn him enough times for him to be at all consistant. But! He has finally developed into a recognizable look and personality I'm happy with.

(Also his comics were originally going to be like 99% dark comedy, but the lighthearted tooniness is a strong siren call to try to ignore.)

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

304 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us