Suggest An Event!

Re: Suggest An Event!
« Reply #25 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:36 AM »
Veteran-Newbie Tag-Team Tournament sounds rad as fuck!
If I dream of impossible, should I forget it?

« Reply #26 on: Aug 25, 2015, 09:34 AM »
But I see one big problem with how it's proposed right now. The big problem is... well, newbies are newbies and veterans are veterans! The veterans have a huge leg-up on the new people, and are way more likely to win as they're experienced with making deadlines, and already have proven themselves in dedication and skill. How many times do new people default on their first battle? A lot more than their second or third battle that's for sure. What happens when after round two, only a couple newbies have survived the gauntlet of veterans and it ends up being 4 veteran vs veteran rounds and only two newbie vs veteran? Maybe it'd be better set up as a tag team tournament, where it's a veteran and newbie teamed up against another veteran and newbie? That way each "loser" would actually be keeping the ratio even, and if you wanted you could shuffle the teams up each time. The only thing is that collabing might not be everyone's cup of tea, and it's sort of an added complication. I guess it's possible even though they're in a "team" to make their own individual comics, but that seems a little forced. Also veterans may end up shouldering most of the work....  Maybe the very last match would be a final exhibition where the winning team faces off against itself, or maybe the last match could be a free-for all 1v1v1v1 instead of teams, just so the newbies get to spread their wings on their own a little bit. The team-up would be better for building that artist-to-artist bond though, as they'd be forced to communicate in order to collaborate. As long as no one ends up despising the person they're paired with haha.

I like my solution: Round Robin

Every Welcome Wagon vet ends up fighting every Newcomer, no elimination, so everyone comes out with a bunch of comics on their belt

At the end wins decide Welcome Wagon Vet champion and Newcomer champion separately, ties would lead to tie-breakers (vet vs. vet and newbie vs newbie)

However,

this would be a very very long tournament as a result, even just 4 vets and 4 newcomers means each artist is battling 4 times. Although the time would be offset by not needing to wait for a week of voting to see who ends up on top and who gets eliminated
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015, 09:38 AM by PyrasTerran »

« Reply #27 on: Aug 25, 2015, 09:37 AM »
But I see one big problem with how it's proposed right now. The big problem is... well, newbies are newbies and veterans are veterans! The veterans have a huge leg-up on the new people, and are way more likely to win as they're experienced with making deadlines, and already have proven themselves in dedication and skill. How many times do new people default on their first battle? A lot more than their second or third battle that's for sure. What happens when after round two, only a couple newbies have survived the gauntlet of veterans and it ends up being 4 veteran vs veteran rounds and only two newbie vs veteran?

I also thought about this idea, and think it would make sense as a 'round robin' style (Edit: Pyras beat me to the punch haha).  That would mean each of the newbies who sign up would/could fight against each of the vets and gain a whole lot of experience.  The tag-team format would also work out where it's a newbie and a vet, but I personally prefer newbies working on their own at first because you learn a lot about how you work under a deadline.

EDIT: It might be interesting to have smaller brackets, like block a, block b, block c, etc., and have two pairs per block. If there's someone you really want to challenge past the initial set-up, send them a challenge!
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015, 09:39 AM by Minteh »

« Reply #28 on: Aug 25, 2015, 09:43 AM »
I'll also chip in that it may be a bit too much for newcomers to add in too many characters to their comic or to collab when they have no experience to do so.  I know people love collabs but it might not be the place to start.  But a Welcome Wagon of some sort is indeed preferable. 

« Reply #29 on: Aug 25, 2015, 09:59 AM »
Minteh blocks is a great way to speed up a round robin welcome wagon tourney, i"m all for that

« Reply #30 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:57 PM »
Round robins/block robins seem like a really good solution! It also means that a newbie won't end up with only a single comic under their belt because they got eliminated first round. There should definitely still be a "win" condition though, as I think the excitement of competition and the potential to win is also a big fun part of void.

Maybe the newbie and veteran winners from each block then compete with the winners of the other blocks? Either bringing in the tag team idea (because newbies will now have experience doing 4 or so individual comics) or maybe an all out brawl? Just trying to think of a good climax, I guess it depends on how many people enter and how many blocks there would end up being.

« Reply #31 on: Aug 25, 2015, 01:11 PM »
I would think the win condition would be obvious O:

whoever has the most wins by the end of the robins, wins! We can even separate it between Welcome Wagon vets and Newcomers.

if there's a tie, we go to a tie-breaker battles!

« Reply #32 on: Aug 25, 2015, 03:33 PM »
question, what exactly will be the determination of who is a newbie? some people here have been around here for like 10 years, compared to my 3 Im a newbie lol. Stomcrow has been here since March and has 2 comics in, would that fall under newbie? is it like... joined date, or number of comics produced? Maybe anybody approved within a year, or two years?

« Reply #33 on: Aug 25, 2015, 04:16 PM »
If you go by achievements, a Veteran is someone who has a character for two years or more, but if may be a little more loose? Ultimately I think it's up to whoever's running it to make that distinction.

« Reply #34 on: Aug 26, 2015, 09:56 PM »
Achievements aren't what we have gone by, and that one is a bit of a misnomer. Though, I guess they could be what we go by.

In the past, it just meant you had completed more than 2 comics, pretty much (that wasn't a requirement, but a barometer to decide who could do what). A newcomer would be someone just joining right? So, People who have battled + people who have not battled.

« Reply #35 on: Aug 28, 2015, 12:19 AM »
Achievements aren't what we have gone by, and that one is a bit of a misnomer. Though, I guess they could be what we go by.

In the past, it just meant you had completed more than 2 comics, pretty much (that wasn't a requirement, but a barometer to decide who could do what). A newcomer would be someone just joining right? So, People who have battled + people who have not battled.
This is pretty much what I was thinking, too.  By "newcomer", I'm referring to people who are brand new to the site (i.e. those brought in by the invitational), and anyone who either doesn't currently have a character, or who has only an intro, but no battles under their belt. 
Want a Smile shirt?
http://www.redbubble.com

« Reply #36 on: Aug 28, 2015, 05:46 PM »
Young at Heart(??): We get a pool of characters created by young children (could be drawings from voiders when they were little, or current drawings from their kids), and randomly assign them to contestants.

« Reply #37 on: Aug 28, 2015, 06:10 PM »
ok i kind of love that idea lol. i want to enter the mirror monster OC i made when i was seven XD that touney could end up really goddamn creative haha!

« Reply #38 on: Aug 31, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Welcome wagon sounds really rad

« Reply #39 on: Aug 31, 2015, 01:08 PM »
i think it would be cool if Void had its own sport or sports tournament, idk if anyones already said that but if they did i second it!
Life is a series of sent messages and awaited responses.

« Reply #40 on: Jan 01, 2016, 09:36 PM »
Tag Death Tournament.
2 people, 2 weeks.

Always wanted to see these two mashed up.

« Reply #41 on: Mar 22, 2016, 07:25 AM »
Treasure Hunt.

Like any other tournament, except the characters are competing for some sort of tremendously awesome tangible reward you can hold in your hands, leading to much Voidian chaos and hijinks everywhere.

Think Scarmaggeddon with more greed.

« Reply #42 on: Apr 19, 2016, 12:27 PM »
Can we revisit the idea of a Wrestling Tournament?

I apologize if it's been expressed here already as I skimmed the forum.

I'd love to see the minds of artists and their perspective of my favorite soap opera.

« Reply #43 on: Apr 19, 2016, 04:11 PM »
it's definitely a theme that keeps bouncing around, so chances are high you'll see some kind of wrestling tournament in the future

« Reply #44 on: Apr 19, 2016, 04:18 PM »
>=D CANT KEEP ME AWAY FROM DAT ONE
it came down pretty close when we did a vote between monster mash and wrestle tourney- either way i had made the same character lol- everyone seems pretty interested in this idea though so we should totally put a pin in it

« Reply #45 on: Apr 19, 2016, 04:59 PM »
So here's an idea I've wanted to pitch for awhile, Movie Night Tourney/ Event, honestly I feel it could work as either one. Your character has been given the leading role in their own movie, whatever genre it is banks on the character's tastes. The end goal would be simple, perform well enough to rake in the cash or win whatever Void's equivalence is to an Oscar (a "Voidey" I suppose you'd call it). Their opponents could take on whatever role suitable for your story, supporting actor, background actor, film crew, hell they could even be trying to sabotage the movie. What do you guys think?...

« Reply #46 on: Apr 21, 2016, 08:31 AM »
Treasure Hunt.

Like any other tournament, except the characters are competing for some sort of tremendously awesome tangible reward...

Bring back Trophy Matches.
Also, Movie Night sounds cool!

« Reply #47 on: Apr 22, 2016, 03:18 PM »
I think Trophy Matches got killed off because we had too many of them where people didn't actually win a clear trophy?
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #48 on: Oct 23, 2019, 03:31 PM »
I know we only have a week of October left but I was hoping on a Death Resurrection Tournament. I want White Dwarf back! Any way we can make this happen?

« Reply #49 on: Oct 23, 2019, 04:08 PM »
One idea I had for a while was a Resurrection Tourney but done in Tag-team style, where two dead characters have a chance at being revived instead of one.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

292 Guests, 2 Users

[] [Think Tank]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us