Suggest An Event!

Suggest An Event!
« on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:35 PM »
It's clear from the "vote for the new EnterVOID tournament" thread that a lot of people have some ideas of their own for what they would like to see! So let's get the ideas flowing! What would you like to see tournaments or event wise? Keep in mind you don't have to give us ideas that have already done before. There's traditional tournaments, round robins, battle royale style, Arma style, collab/team style, etc. but there's likely much more that we haven't tackled on the site before. If there's a really cool idea you see in here and you want to make it a reality, contact the mods so we can work out how to make it happen.
Kittens wearins mittens

Re: Suggest An Event!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:45 PM »
The Invitational - we all know what that is

Welcome Wagon Tourney - An Invitational that's half newcomers, half vets. Pair them up to fight, getting them acclimated with the site and welcomed directly into the community.

Plot Thickens Tourney - Artist match tourney. Everyone does their round ones normally, starting the beginning of a story. Then, in the next round, participants are given a random story from the first round to continue. This repeats for the rest of the tourney. This encourages people to work with other's material, and to try to build off of other stories, as they may be asked to in published comics.

Think Tank Tourney - While probably not a good idea, it would be interesting. Normal small tourney, winner gets to be brought on as a Think Tank.

Backgrounds Only Tourney - Artist matches only. Make comics with only backgrounds, no characters allowed. You can see the battle Knomer and I did years ago as an example.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Damnit I had a reply all typed out and then my internet decided to go all haywire.

Anyway a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, I tried to kickstart some shonen jump pitches happening on the site back when there was that shonen jump pitch contest thing going on. While that was geared towards one particular genre due to the nature of it, it would be cool to have an artist battle tournament. But actually make it a tournament. No particular theme, can be that idea you've been thinking of for ages that you never really had any motivation for or something new. Just a fun way to kickstart some fresh, original comics and if you like what you did then you can continue it with no strings attached. I still think it would be cool to have people move on each round though, instead of it being a one off battle. 1-2 weeks per round until its done.

Either that or bring back the Sentai Tourney, mostly because out of all the themed tournaments I really wish I had been able to get in on that one (but it was before my time).

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:55 PM »
if any of you like an idea being proposed, you can help keep it alive by posting your approval of it; you can go ahead and have full conversations of development for new tournament ideas here. The amount of buzz a tournament idea is getting here can help both members and staff take notice on what's a hot choice~

Conversations in the chat are good of course but also fleeting and unrecorded; conversations here can be referenced back on

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:05 PM »
I would like to see more artist tournaments. Monster Mash, and other themed death tourneys.. we don't need to use so many resources, they'd be nice as an artist tourney a lot of the time. I would like to see another Story tournament, as well. I forget the name.. but Phil, Hiemie, and Kuro were in it. Very under-rated.

Under New Management 2.. I guess Fowlie would need to be involved in bringing that back, though.

Round-robin... Have we ever done one? Make them all scar matches.

Another death royale?

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Smut Tourney
Because we obviously need even more controversies in the site.

Um.

I actually like Qyz's Welcome Wagon Tourney idea. So, I think I'll vote for that one.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:08 PM »
I don't know what it would be called, and i don't think it's a tournament of some sort, and relies solely on the ability of someone not flaking out by deadline. This is a spinoff of the 5 minute 'comic jam' events I've gone to (one person draws a comic panel, switches off with the next person in five minutes, etc.)

Basically, all the artists who want in will sign up on a huge list, then be randomized in an order. So the first artist will draw their character of choice in a story, and then after one week, they pass that story along to the next artist, and after that week, to the next, and next, until 1) they reach the last artist in line, or 2) an artist defaults and the comic ends. No artist can discuss their future story idea with the previous artist. There is no wait time for voting; the moment the comic is released, it's the next person's turn to work on it. In the end, I guess it would all be combined to be one huge mess of a story.

It's possible to do a 1-page thing as well. This is different from a collaboration in the way that you cannot discuss your story or ideas with any of the other artists, and you have to wing it the moment you get your story. Comic improv, sorta.
just browsing here and there

« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:25 PM »
A lot of this sounds great, guys! Would love to see some of these brought to life!

And no, I don't think a round robin ever actually happened. I know Thomas brought it up a few times but nothing ever came of it?
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:33 PM »
It would be the funnest.. but would probably need a small amount of contestants. 8-10? 5 rounds might be pushing it.

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:37 PM »
I would like to see more artist tournaments. Monster Mash, and other themed death tourneys.. we don't need to use so many resources, they'd be nice as an artist tourney a lot of the time.

I will forever sing the praises towards anything artist battle themed. I've said it before, its where my headspace is at, and personally as a site to incubate and foster comic making skills I'd love to improve non VOID specific works with likeminded individuals here on the site. I feel it's like the next progression and artist battles have always felt like that next step to me, I'd love to see this happen.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Character Swap Tourney
You enter with a character as per normal, but instead of drawing your character you do an alternative take/redesign on your opponents, and your character can't be featured.
STILL spoken about in disgraceful social circles

« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2015, 04:16 PM »
As a reminder:  http://entervoid.com/index.php?topic=11407.0

we have a thread that lists all previous tournaments and events, just so no one is re-suggesting similar ideas.

However, you can of course suggest that we do another one of the listed events. I think that's perfectly awesome

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2015, 05:42 PM »
I 100% want the Welcome Wagon tourney to happen, I was talking about how cool it'd be in DA chat yesterday.  Also seconding Artist Tournaments because that's cool stuff.

Also Also, if someone is a superstar and heads some kind of publishing tournament, where it's an artistic battle royale with the goal of publishing the finished entries into a zine or anthology. That'd be pretty massive to organise but it would be very cool to see more physical works coming out of the site imo

« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:12 PM »
I back the Background Only Tournament 100 percent. I feel like that can really help people like myself study and understand backgrounds better. It will also help with storytelling and setting a mood without using characters. If we decide to ever push this one, I am totally down to participate.
MOST IMPROVED ARTIST 2016
MOST IMPROVED WRITER 2016

« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:26 PM »
Think Tank Tourney - While probably not a good idea, it would be interesting. Normal small tourney, winner gets to be brought on as a Think Tank.

At first I thought you meant a tournament only for Think Tanks, but that wouldn't be fair... 'cause I'd crush the competition 8)

« Reply #15 on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:40 PM »

At first I thought you meant a tournament only for Think Tanks, but that wouldn't be fair... 'cause I'd crush the competition 8)

U wanna fukkin go

No but i like the welcome wagon tourney, the background one and sugha's smut tourney because why the hell not lol
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2015, 08:43 PM by Shen »

« Reply #16 on: Aug 23, 2015, 08:51 PM »
Also as a reminder, there's Roflqu's helpful guide on setting up a tournament
http://entervoid.com/index.php?topic=11414.0

« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2015, 09:18 PM »
The Welcome Wagon Tourney would definitely be the most beneficial to the community I think, so we should see if we can make that happen.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Votes for welcome wagon! I've always wanted to pose as a be vet paired up with a new fish. Yessiree bob

« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2015, 10:18 PM »
welcome wagon or background tourney.

draw dem backgrounds, bring dem kids in.

« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2015, 11:55 PM »
Welcome Wagon Tourney - An Invitational that's half newcomers, half vets. Pair them up to fight, getting them acclimated with the site and welcomed directly into the community.

Plot Thickens Tourney - Artist match tourney. Everyone does their round ones normally, starting the beginning of a story. Then, in the next round, participants are given a random story from the first round to continue. This repeats for the rest of the tourney. This encourages people to work with other's material, and to try to build off of other stories, as they may be asked to in published comics.
I'm a big fan of both of these.  The Welcome Wagon would probably be best for Void, and it gets the newcomers right in the mix, but Plot Thickens has the most potential for mischief and mayhem.

To offer another suggestion, maybe instead of pitting newcomers against vets in a Welcome Wagon tourney, we could team each newcomer up with a veteran in a collab battle royale.
Want a Smile shirt?
http://www.redbubble.com

« Reply #21 on: Aug 24, 2015, 12:52 AM »
Oh, like a tag team event, but every pair is a newbie and a vet? I really like that. That'd really encourage new people to get involved in the community, and as long as every body has a good work ethic, could really help newbies feel like they're part of the site.
Minions, assemble!

« Reply #22 on: Aug 24, 2015, 08:36 AM »
and sugha's smut tourney because why the hell not lol

Terrible idea. lmao.

« Reply #23 on: Aug 24, 2015, 02:31 PM »
I like all of Qyzex's proposed tourney ideas.  I'm especially drawn to Welcome Wagon Tourney and the Background Tourney. I feel that the background tourney will really push artists to hone their skills in that area.

« Reply #24 on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:18 AM »

THIS 1000% I know I'm not one to talk since I haven't yet finished my own first character/intro (life got in the way but I'm back to working on it I swear!) but I love this idea and I think I can speak a little bit to what draws people to void (not necessarily stay since idk about that.) I think what is both really appealing about void and completely terrifying about it is the depth of the history and community. What makes it unique from an OCT is that you can come back and fight the same artist you fought before, and also the living history of void city as shaped by the artists that came before you. I remember seeing Angela's plot (not that it's typical) and dreaming, DREAMING of facing off against her and helping her build her story. Or imagining what the plot of my comic would be when I faced off against my favorite voiders (and how much it would pwn them!!!1! thanks high school self)

That's the attraction of void (at least for lurkers familiar with it), but it's also a giant hurdle. People want to battle their favorite veterans and to build that shared story, but it can be a little hard to actually penetrate into the "core" of void that people want to participate in. It's scary to approach veterans, and it's also hard for veterans to build serious plots off of completely new characters that have no shared history and no comics to explain their personality and history. What I've seen is that mostly, newbies end up challenging other newbies, or people join with friends, challenge each other, and then don't know where to go from there with strangers. Maybe they start character relations with another person, but that person leaves and leaves their plot hanging and they can't bring themselves to tie it up awkwardly without completion...

I think this idea does what a lot of others don't, which is giving unstable newcomers still finding their feet a chance to interact with the stable core of void. Maybe they find that one cool plot point with a veteran they want to explore, and since the veteran isn't as likely to leave as another newbie, the new plot isn't as likely to fizzle and die. It'll also just help people TALK to veterans, and get involved with the actual people of void not just the characters and plot :) If you have friends here you like just chatting with, that's probably the best reason to say, all plots and characters aside!

But I see one big problem with how it's proposed right now. The big problem is... well, newbies are newbies and veterans are veterans! The veterans have a huge leg-up on the new people, and are way more likely to win as they're experienced with making deadlines, and already have proven themselves in dedication and skill. How many times do new people default on their first battle? A lot more than their second or third battle that's for sure. What happens when after round two, only a couple newbies have survived the gauntlet of veterans and it ends up being 4 veteran vs veteran rounds and only two newbie vs veteran? Maybe it'd be better set up as a tag team tournament, where it's a veteran and newbie teamed up against another veteran and newbie? That way each "loser" would actually be keeping the ratio even, and if you wanted you could shuffle the teams up each time. The only thing is that collabing might not be everyone's cup of tea, and it's sort of an added complication. I guess it's possible even though they're in a "team" to make their own individual comics, but that seems a little forced. Also veterans may end up shouldering most of the work....  Maybe the very last match would be a final exhibition where the winning team faces off against itself, or maybe the last match could be a free-for all 1v1v1v1 instead of teams, just so the newbies get to spread their wings on their own a little bit. The team-up would be better for building that artist-to-artist bond though, as they'd be forced to communicate in order to collaborate. As long as no one ends up despising the person they're paired with haha.

I've done a lot of rambling for someone with zero on-site-comics. Sorry U'''B
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015, 12:20 AM by Inksword »

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

306 Guests, 5 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us