Vote for the next enterVOID tournament!

Poll

I want the next enterVOID tournament to be: ((PICK TWO))

Monster Mash
22 (19.3%)
Wrestling
21 (18.4%)
King of the Monsters
19 (16.7%)
Speed Shipping Tournament
18 (15.8%)
Urban Legends
15 (13.2%)
Scar-Healing Tournament
13 (11.4%)
A Muppet Entervoid Tournament
6 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: Sep 02, 2015, 07:52 PM

Re: Vote for the next enterVOID tournament!
« Reply #75 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Okay, but literally NO TOURNAMENT EVER keeps more than half of its participants, so just saying "Not the majority" is pointless. None of these tournaments will hold more than half their participants. The SRT didn't hold more than half its participants. The Prettiest Princess tournament sure as fuck didn't.

If the invitational is a Bandaid, then what the fuck do you call every other tournament?

I'm gonna try to stop talking in here, because like I said, I am getting really fucking angry about this shit right now, and I think I need some time to cool down.
Minions, assemble!

« Reply #76 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:27 PM »
since when has the point of an Invitational been to "retain members"?

The point is bring in a bunch of new people. What happens after that is to keep them around.

« Reply #77 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:30 PM »
I don't even get what you are talking about, GPS. The invitational is the only tournament for bringing in new members. New people can't have dead characters.. so they couldn't join SRT.

And, it's not Qyz. That was just responding to people who said that it would help the site. It does, but it's only temporary, and won't help longterm problems.

« Reply #78 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Since the beginning? It was made as a no barrier entry point to get people on to the site to make comics and hopefully stick around. It was almost like a free pass without going through the approval process, which scares a lot of people off. If the purpose wasn't to get people to stay then why was there such a blitz on focusing on having people stay during the last one? I have never ever argued against having an invitational and it should be clear that nobody is saying that we shouldn't have one. It was and still is a good idea.

GPS- I think the reason here is that we make the distinction about the invitational on the above criteria as opposed to other tournies which no matter how we slice them, are mostly for the existing crowd. Invitational is good at getting new people in and hopefully keeping them around because the requirements and stakes are dropped to an entry level so it's easy for newbies who were on the fence to come play. If we didn't want to have these members stay then why would so much work be dumped into putting an invitational on and getting the word out? It won't guarantee Us members who stay and again I stress that I think invitationals are a good idea I was merely trying to clarify what I assume Dawg had meant.
Edit: I am typing these all from my phone and it keeps hilariously changing words. Sorry if some stuff isn't coming across right.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2015, 02:35 PM by Charlie »

« Reply #79 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Well, I think it could be more than temporary, as long as it's not just a short-sighted thing. Just holding the Invitational will, as you said, be a temporary fix. But steps should be made after to keep people around, and encourage them to spread the word of Void.

« Reply #80 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:42 PM »
I agree! I think we could all put in a greater effort to get people to stick around. The first Invitational we only had 2-3 people that stayed on the site afterwards. The second one there was more success, and part of it was probably because Rofl PM'd the participants to encourage them to stay on the site. No matter what we will always lose some people that felt we were nothing more than another DA OCT. But we can always put forth that extra personal touch to make new people feel like we aren't. We should also look for ways to make us stand out vs. DA OCTs.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #81 on: Aug 23, 2015, 02:55 PM »
Yeah, maybe enough wasn't done to keep them around after. I don't really know, as I wasn't involved in any of those tournaments. I'm not sure a whole lot more will stay on average, though. On average it is probably between 15-30%? That's not too bad. It'd be better to try and get those ones to be more active, I guess. 15 people having 10 posts and a couple of comics is OK and all. We need some more Pye's and Willy D's, though.

« Reply #82 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:05 PM »
This is basivally what i was hoping for. When i look at events for void, what im wanting is something to bring in new people, and yes, I know it will take extra effort to keep them around. Im sorry that I started to get more aggressive at the end, and maybe I didnt make my point clear enough. But basically, what I wanted when i saw this thread was an event geared for new people. I know its extra effort to keep them around, but thats the point. That the effort is shown and it made people feel welcome. It made me feel welcome back then. If i did cross anybody during my rant, feel free to message me personally. I dont want it to seem like im just ignoring what everyone's saying. Odds are, theres some miscommunication that is making one of us miss the others point, and Id love to actually talk to clear anything up. I really dont want to make any enemies out of this, i just have a bad habit of getting carried away at times.
Minions, assemble!

« Reply #83 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:20 PM »
You're right about making people feel welcome. That's the key. I've heard many people say that someone personally reaching out to them is the reason why they stuck around, invitational or not. Hell, that's why I stayed. Trust me, this is something Ive thought about and the reason why we've been trying to tweak the site to make it a little more accessible and easier to find the info that you need. General confusion is a problem with new people as well. I agree with you 100%. It's probably one of the biggest things that anyone can do to help the site. Definitely keeping what you said In mind, thank you.

« Reply #84 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:20 PM »
I really dont want to make any enemies out of this

Your point was fine. I don't think you understood ours, and perhaps that is my fault, so I'm sorry about that. Calling them bandaids overall isn't a bad thing. The people that do stick around are valued. Bandaid is referring to the boost in new activity during the tournament. Other tournaments do this to a lesser degree, that's true. The invitational is on another level, though, because it's all new people, so it adds a lot more to the overall activity.

To be clear, no enemies are being made here (or I hope not, at least). You are good. I'm just trying to bring some candidness to this thread where I can.

« Reply #85 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:22 PM »
To be clear, no enemies are being made here (or I hope not, at least). You are good. I'm just trying to bring some candidness to this thread where I can.

You are my shonen rival/enemy now Dawg and I will scream at the heavens to increase my power to defeat you atop Mt.Radass, which is the most radical badass mountain to fight on.

« Reply #86 on: Aug 23, 2015, 03:24 PM »

You are my shonen rival/enemy now Dawg and I will scream at the heavens to increase my power to defeat you atop Mt.Radass, which is the most radical badass mountain to fight on.

I will murder you in a well!

« Reply #87 on: Aug 23, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Urban Legends seems like a super cool idea, and I like the Healing matches as an idea, even though my character doesn't have any.

« Reply #88 on: Aug 27, 2015, 03:50 PM »
This list is pretty mediocre. Themed tournaments in which your limited to all muppets, wrestlers, urban legends can get kind of restrcitve. Two of my favorite things about SDT is that anyone can join and that the characters are all over the place. Prettiest Princess wasnt restrictive because it left a lot to the imagination of what they were the princess of.

You guys should take the three top choices on this list (which is hard cuz it's all kind of even) and make a new list with some better options.

« Reply #89 on: Aug 27, 2015, 04:05 PM »
I honestly don't see how those are much more restrictive than PPT was (except maybe muppets, just because it kind of limits your art style I guess?). There's still a ton of room for creativity, and I'm sure people will push the limits to the breaking point (if not further). It's not the theme that makes the tournament, but the artists. The theme is just a fun gimmick, and I'm sure we'll have themes you like better in the future if these don't do it for you now!

« Reply #90 on: Aug 27, 2015, 05:21 PM »
I like the Monster Mash just because I’m a sucker for monsters and cool looking character designs. And I like the Shipping idea because it points out that tournaments and comics don’t have to be fighting-based and you could have like friend-ships and stuff. They don’t have to be in love with everyone.

As a person who joined with an Invitational Tournament, I think they’re great they throw you into a very welcoming setting however I think if we do another one I think you shouldn’t be thrown out because once you lose it’s like you’re not part of the group anymore and on the sidelines after being so hyped. Sure you lost, really sucked , or even defaulted but you’re not ready to let go yet.

I think next time everyone should do like 4 rounds and the person who accumulates the most points from the 4 rounds wins the tournament.

Or something.

Also the reason I joined the Invitational was because for a long time I was afraid to apply, because I didn’t think I was good enough. And when I finally did,I wasn’t good enough lol. I was denied twice  and in truth my entries were pure shit and I was working on a 3rd intro comic when the tournament came along.

The reason I wanted to join was because I thought comics were cool, I thought the people were cool, I wanted to improve, and I really just wanted to be a part of it.

I was 15 when I first discovered Void and 19 when I got a character on through the tournament.
I just wish sometimes I tried harder to get in earlier because I feel like I just don’t have the time. And at 15 I knew I wasn’t very good but I wanted to produce and I wanted the motivation to produce and I believe I had a hell of a lot more time to do it than at 19 with going to college and working full-time and dealing with the shit life likes to throw at you. So I also think just getting a character in Void a little more lenient… ?
\'Ello...

« Reply #91 on: Aug 27, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Yeahh, it's WAY more lenient now.

Themed tournaments in which your limited to all muppets, wrestlers, urban legends can get kind of restrcitve ... Prettiest Princess wasnt restrictive because it left a lot to the imagination of what they were the princess of.

How are princesses less restrictive than monsters, every urban legend ever, or every type of wrestling ever?
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2015, 07:18 PM by justarhymes »

« Reply #92 on: Aug 27, 2015, 07:50 PM »
This list is pretty mediocre. Themed tournaments in which your limited to all muppets, wrestlers, urban legends can get kind of restrcitve. Two of my favorite things about SDT is that anyone can join and that the characters are all over the place. Prettiest Princess wasnt restrictive because it left a lot to the imagination of what they were the princess of.

You guys should take the three top choices on this list (which is hard cuz it's all kind of even) and make a new list with some better options.

It's pretty disheartening to just hear you call the list "mediocre" and not give any feedback at all.^^

I would definetly encourage you to give some of your own ideas of what you'd like to see and participate in!
In fact, we have a Topic just for that: http://entervoid.com/index.php?topic=12959.0

« Reply #93 on: Aug 27, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Yeahh, it's WAY more lenient now.

Themed tournaments in which your limited to all muppets, wrestlers, urban legends can get kind of restrcitve ... Prettiest Princess wasnt restrictive because it left a lot to the imagination of what they were the princess of.

How are princesses less restrictive than monsters, every urban legend ever, or every type of wrestling ever?

Adding onto this: Even though it only says Pro-Wrestling or Lucha Libre, that's outdated; the wrestling tournament would indeed allow you to cater to any kind of wrestling, even one you make up from another planet etc.

« Reply #94 on: Aug 28, 2015, 01:01 AM »
First let me say that i like the idea of themed tourneys, more broad then specific but themed none the less. I feel like they are a challenge, to create a comic that is outside the box while staying within the perimeters and still entertaining. While having no theme at all obviously more flexible, i feel like that too is more geared towards regular battles. IDK what will bring more activity to the site but i do feel like tournaments are one way, and the more accessible they are the more people will get involved, obviously. However, i do not feel like character entry should be made more lenient because that would make it less of a skill building environment. Dont kno if that helped, but hey.

btw, i like monster mash and king of monsters but only because i dont have a character in, but i still think the wrestling idea could be pushed in many different directions.   
Life is a series of sent messages and awaited responses.

« Reply #95 on: Sep 01, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Tomorrow night is the deadline for these polls!  Two of the choices are tied so make your choice before the end of tomorrow.

« Reply #96 on: Sep 02, 2015, 09:06 AM »
So if Monster Mash and Wrestling are still tied at the end...

does that mean they get combined into the WrestleVania tournament?
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2015, 09:52 AM by Majikura »

« Reply #97 on: Sep 02, 2015, 10:33 AM »
WrestleVania isn't out of the question if enough folks are on board, though it looks like King of the Monsters has jumped to tie with those two as well!

« Reply #98 on: Sep 02, 2015, 01:33 PM »
If it matters, I misclicked and didn't get my second vote, which was for the Monster Mash.

« Reply #99 on: Sep 02, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Oh shit. I hadn't read any of the posts but i just changed the lead! Tense!

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

283 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 310.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us