Homeless dude

Homeless dude
« on: Oct 08, 2014, 12:54 PM »

Working on a new character. Just dropping this sketch in here to see what people think. Working on a design sheet currently and i have thumbs drawn for the intro pages. This dude was once a well known journalist who fell upon hard times when void got destroyed by a damn meteor. Now he's a homeless alcoholic but a poet at heart.
MOST IMPROVED ARTIST 2016
MOST IMPROVED WRITER 2016

Re: Homeless dude
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2014, 01:16 PM »
first i would love to see those thumbs. depending on how recognizable you do them. this place is about comics so it would be a little spot you can get critiques on panel flow and stuff.
anyway post what you can show comicwise.

the character description leaves me wonder what that guy will do in void. what could be his motivation to act after. what character perks may be essential for his role and behaviour.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Duuude I'd be curious where you go with this. I find this subject always quite upsetting and it can make for some sad sad stories - and is is the vibe I am getting now. But its kinda hard to tell, pages please!

One thing I find a bit odd is the separated legs and body on design sheet.

Also he looks a bit like Organic Jim in his unshaven state.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2014, 03:03 PM »
Fern : Yeah, I really wanna work on a very story driven character and I feel like this would be fun to work on. I have had experiences with being homeless and knowing a lot of unfortunate people. Slice of life kinda inspiration. But yeah that isn't the design sheet, just sketches of the character himself. I am watercoloring a legit design sheet currently. Pages soon

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Design Sheet. Colored with watercolors and attempted to scan and fix it up in photoshop because it came out extremely bleached. Any suggestions to get the colors to look more like they do in the original?

« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2014, 04:56 PM »
    Well I can't see the original, so it's hard for me to say exactly what you need to do, but just make sure your paper is as flat as possible, and play around with the levels, brightness,contrast, and saturation afterwards. I can tell by the way the paper shifts to darker grey at the top and bottom that you still need to mess with your levels a bit more. Scanning watercolour is never super easy.

Also. try laying down your base tone/initial wash down faster, and use more water. You can see alot of scrubbing brushstrokes in the figure on the figure on the left. In contrast, the smaller figure of your character looks way nicer. There's a much more even and pleasant tone to your washes there.

« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Once you've got the traditional stuff down, there are three filters in Photoshop that you'll find especially helpful: Hue/Saturation, Levels, and Selective Color. I use those for EVERYTHING.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2014, 06:18 PM »
I am going to redraw the design sheet so I can give it another shot at painting it.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2014, 08:09 AM by SeanJude666 »

« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2014, 08:46 PM »
It's definitely coming along! Keep at it ~ I'd be interested to see what sort of stories you can make with him.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

268 Guests, 2 Users

Most Online Today: 304.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us