Brubaker's Stuff

Brubaker's Stuff
« on: Aug 02, 2014, 10:29 AM »
So yeah, I do cartoony type of stuff.

DeviantArt
Tumblr

I draw on paper with a brush pen, then color on Photoshop.

Comments?

Re: Brubaker's Stuff
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2014, 10:43 AM »
well its not the stuff i like though i feel like you know what you are doing :D
but well if its not for me to compliment you i know some here who might be inclined to hahaha

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2014, 12:33 PM »
@yaz.....so you have absolutely nothing of any merit whatsoever to say...no constructive comments or criticisms....what was the point of making that reply?

are you doing any 'underdrawing' or sketching out ahead of time?
your lines are much too fast and loose...you need to slow down and practice control more.......gesture and energy can come later after you practice form and control

simple forms cry out for tight underlying shapes and strong lines

no backgrounds?........even this type/format of comic greatly benefits from establishing shot and backgrounds

your panels are too cramped(mostly to make up for the lack of anyhting else in panel) and it is uncomfortable....in addition the breaking of the panels seems haphazard....more like you are drawing panels afterwards instead of breaking them for graphic effect

REALLY study your Peanuts and Pogo....public librabries are full of anthologies of the stuff

« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2014, 01:45 PM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2014, 07:54 PM »
i started reading your comic... like these characters, they're pretty appealing! i agree with wei that there could be more backgrounds, i saw you were adding them more in your recent comic on tumblr but it needs more regularity to hold the page together. i think the biggest improvement you could make would be to have a better way to draw the bodies. you obviously know how to draw your characters faces, because that's where the best lines are, but the bodies are all pretty similar and pretty sketchy, so a light underdrawing would definitely help for that. figure out what it'll look like, and then use the nice swoopy lines for those. plus the bodies are always the same shape, the best example is in the picture with the characters holding on to koko on the broom, jodo's shoulders are horizontal, they should be more vertical because of how he's holding on. i can tell you're passionate about comics! i'll keep reading.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, the faces are fun to draw.

I'm doing some new pages of a new storyline right now, which is 1/3 done. I'll post them once I finish drawing all the pages. Hopefully the art'll be better on those (I'm trying to add more to the backgrounds).

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2014, 03:15 AM »
I guess it's a style-issue; Either you don't like it, or, like me, you love it! :D Cartoony characters are my thing, and I can really dig the look of your drawings. That said...

Backgrounds, backgrounds, backgrounds.. You need them if you want to grow up to be a strong man like me. Your hatchings help, but the odd carpet, couch, wallflower, a line to divide the floor from the walls... anything to bring more life to your comic and make it feel like your characters inhabit a living, breathing world would be mucho appreciated.

Also, posing and camera-angles.. I can't help noticing all your characters / drawings are posed facing left, right, and in 2/3rds shots ; Where's the full face-on? Where's the zoom in, zoom out, birds-eye, frogs-eye view? Experiment with your panels, right now you are suffering from the "talking heads syndrome"  (see below)

Try something like this instead:

They are still "talking heads", but we now have a background, moving of camera (zoom in, zoom out) and movement / "acting" from the characters. Much more interesting to read at once :)

« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2014, 12:16 AM »
The biggest issue seems to be backgrounds, or the lack of it. I guess I'll work on that first. (If I had money, I'd hire an assistant to draw backgrounds for me).

Glad you like the design style, though. I'm going for the 1960s Jay Ward look.

Here's a new strip I drew.

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2014, 12:21 AM by cbrubaker »

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2014, 09:47 AM »
A very smart man once told me how the "environment" (rather than "the background") is just as important as the characters. He said;

"(..) the visual higher archly and environments is where things tend to break down, when they do break down. I totally get this cause when I started drawing I was doing it for the characters not the mailbox in the bg behind him. But there are times when the just abbreviating the environment kind of takes away from your fun characters. (..) Now let's not get anything thing twisted time for this stuff is a huge factor so save it as much as possible. (..) I don't think people need to go in and draw every stone in an enviornment though, but what yo do show just bring it to the level of your characters."

My art, like yours, has always been very character-oriented, but the above thing really opened my eyes; It's doesn't help how fun or interesting your characters are if they are drawn against a poor or uninteresting background (sun, clouds and grass.. ouch!); In your comic, it just about works in the first panel because of all that is going on (and the little bee!), but the rest is just clouds sun and grass. If your characters inhabit a forest of somekind, your panels should be "littered" with rocks, mushhrooms, moss, Elk in sunsets etc etc. A background is not a plane wall behind your characters, it is the environment (the background,middeground,foreground - 3D space) that your creations inhabit.

And yes, they are a pain to draw at first (trust me, I know) and there really is no easy way out of it (hiring an assistant would only stunt your artistic growth), but trust me on this; it is really great fun to  see a completed page with characters interacting in a believable environment that you have drawn and created from scratch. And that's before you even get into the endless sightgags and in-jokes you can put everywhere..
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2014, 03:45 AM by Fed »

« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2014, 12:59 PM »
I just wanted to pop in and say Fed- you are providing some great feedback here. :) Definitely words to take to heart, cbrubaker!

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

297 Guests, 3 Users

[] [Think Tank]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us