The Broken Dreams Jam

The Broken Dreams Jam
« on: Jun 26, 2014, 08:57 AM »
So imagine you get the chance to pitch your entervoid character/concept to a studio to turn into a show/comic/videogame/whatever. The studio likes your pitch and things are going well. You're so excited and desperate to get your idea out there that you sign away your creative production rights to the studio; the show will still be accredited to you for the story but you have little to no say in the production. Weeks and months go by, studio execs and focus groups come one after an
other and suddenly there are too many cooks sticking their ideas and opinions into your soup. Suddenly you're finding that your well crafted concept has been changed, for the worse. Much, much worse. The concept is pretty much the old one in name only. As a brand new product comes out that you are embarrassed to even have your name on, you wonder what went wrong, and how quickly you could kill your mutated lovechild bastardization of a character/concept with fire.

Enter the Broken Dreams Jam!

-pretend that a studio has taken your character/concept and transformed it into the worse possible thing you can imagine. Basically your character in name and pseudo-general idea only.

-add as much detail to this darkest timeline version of your character as you want.

Here is my contribution:

MILLER becomes MILLER DESU!

Original concept: member of a species that successfully infiltrated earth and rewrote the planet's memories, Miller struggles with the guilt of what he made possible and the unique loneliness of being neither human not Vektran. The friendships and relationships he forms feel like temporary relief from a life that seems like it is only headed in one direction: to an end.

What the studios did with it:

In this HI-LA-RIOUS harem anime, the Vektrans have infiltrated human society to learn their ways and find an efficient way to take over the planet. Miller and his sister Amber run a beachside inn and bathhouse, though it's mostly Amber who runs the joint, always thinking up ways to increase customer visits, often at Miller's expense. Miller's life is then turned upside down when five magical girls come to stay/work at the inn for the summer. How will ever Miller get any work done?? If you like tired anime fanservice tropes, irritatingly contrived love triangles, and "outrageous" comic misunderstandings, stay tuned for Miller Desu! Primed to sell a million copies and get tons of cosplays at a convention near you!

Some details:
-Amber fights for customers not only for her own profit, but in competition against the other nearby inns, run by Veronica Nightingale, Lady Vanity and Tiffany Dropkick, the closest things to "antagonists" the show has.
-Xia is a rock star who uses her fox magic to charm her audience. Her charms don't work on Miller (secretly because miller is never paying attention at the time), and that's how she's wrapped in the harem. Her dog Pip is the show's cute animal character.
-Gray is a solemn ghost that haunts the bathhouse. Miller mistakens her for a customer one day and treats her kindly, and now she follows him around.
-Lilyfeather is inexplicably jealous of the other girls having larger breasts than her.

Thanks to Shen for colors!
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2014, 08:58 AM by PyrasTerran »

Re: The Broken Dreams Jam
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2014, 12:01 PM »
omg YES. YES.
Please now make this terrible dream come true ;D

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Hahaha, I love this idea.

Lucy: Alien Investigator is a gritty story following special PI and her fight to uncover the truth behind a series of mysterious murders. Using her psychic powers, she will lead an investigation that will lead her to the heart of a nefarious alien plot.

Oh Lucy, what did they do to you?
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2014, 01:34 PM by Le Fred »
"I knew when I sighned up for Void years ago, Someday I'm going to prison for this site"  - Mister Kent, words to live by

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2014, 02:26 PM »

Loaf Angie, Loaf! is the award winning sequel to the best selling children's book, No Nip for Angie! Watch as everyone's favorite curious cat monster looks for the perfect place to nap in this action packed story! It is sure to be a hit with the whole family! For ages 3+

Not necessarily the worst thing, I actually wouldn't mind it that much. But it should go without saying what I want to do with her is the opposite of this.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2014, 02:39 PM by THE Angie »
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2014, 03:19 PM »
oh my god I am ROLLING, this is the best jam, I cannot stop laughing XD XD

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2014, 08:29 PM »
This is literally the best jam

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Pyras, what is wrong with you hahaha

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Red, kill it with fire it's so awful

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2014, 04:22 AM »
Lilyfeather's story is proposed as-is: a teen and young adult marketed story about a necromancer magical girl trying to change her fate and learning to accept herself.
What they did with it:

"we heard 'necromancer' and 'girl'. and.... something about demons? I think? Whatever make it a sexy supernatural romance or something."

« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2014, 05:53 AM »
This jam is fan friggin' tastic! These are some pretty amazing ruined ideas <33

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Oh shit Shen I'm totally leaving Jay to be with that Lily

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2014, 11:19 AM »
THE PITCH::
On the search for his younger sister, a naive man becomes trapped in a mysterious new world, filled with monsters and magical powers. Along the way, he finds allies in the form of magical Wizzie Belles and badass kaiju-hunter Raymond Reagan.

WHAT THEY DID WITH IT::

In the secret underground world of vampires, werewolves and witches, Nate and Ray hunt for their missing female ally. But along the way, when they both fall for a mysterious magical seductress, it threatens to tear their friendship apart.

So, basically taking a storyline that could be really cool, and turning it into a supernatural teen romance with a love triangle taking front and center. And the women being either the "eevil magical seductress coming between an awesome bromance", or "needing rescued". And making a canon gay character (Nate) straight. Booo.

Hat & Kent- I am so fucking sorry.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2014, 12:17 PM by Rob »
// get on my finger, carl! \\

« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2014, 02:16 AM »
Concept: Fantasy world board game where princesses wage war against each other to obtain a mystical crown.  Lead character uses guns.

What they did with it:  "Did you say GUNS!? This MUST be a first person shooter!  But we can't have the player character be a girl, the focus groups weren't comfortable playing as a girl, so let's put a rugged white guy as the player character and make the girl into a supporting role.  Also, that girl was wearing too much clothes so we made her more appealing to our target audience.

...lets throw in some zombies just to be safe."

« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2014, 02:54 AM »
Original concept: This is a compilation of multiple storylines following different characters in a city where people are mysteriously turning into espers. Each of these stories eventually converge paths to form a cohesive whole that unravels the mysteries surrounding this city, while also developing each of these characters in their new circumstances. One of the sides tells of Miyajima Minori, a highschool girl who developed enhanced and unfiltered perception, as she and her growing group of esper friends solve mysterious happenings. Another side tells of Clyde Mcdowell, a man with a consuming void in place of his right arm and his trials as he goes on the run, encountering factions of varied moralities.

What they did:

Multiple plotlines and morality issues are too complicated and controversial! This is a superhero teenage group of teenagers with ATTITUDE facing off against an EVIL SCIENCE ORGANISATION!

Also, we think our audience can relate to Clyde more so we'll make him the main protagonist and have him meet Minori, our female lead, in a BOY MEETS GIRL encounter!

Gensougan to Void-tsukai no Shounen (Illusion Eye and the Void-weilding Boy)

Boy meets girl, girl tells boy of EVIL SCIENCE ORGANISATION, boy develops DARKNESS POWERS, they fight against EVIL SCIENCE CORPORATION! We'll also toss in a romance subplot between these two and introduce more girls into the cast to cater to a wide range of tastes and potential ships!!!

Also we''re giving her an illusion making EVIL EYE and a KATANA!

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2014, 03:00 AM by Jiisuri »

« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2014, 07:09 AM »
ROB I AM SCREAMING OH MY GOD

Okay okay I will have to do something for this I'm sure

« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2014, 08:12 PM »

Wizzie Belles! A sparky little witch who's started at a new school full of whacky adventures! Wizzie dreams of being a fashion designer and has lots of fun with her token black friend.

Or alternatively,

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Wholesome clean wacky fun!
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2014, 09:26 PM »
Wizzie just sort of becomes Lilyfeather! XD XD omg too perfect

« Reply #18 on: Jun 29, 2014, 12:42 AM »
Concept: Florence, previously an assassin, ends up in a new city and must blend in the crowd. But the moment his identity is revealed, he has to run for his life and escape the city before he's caught!
Genre: horror, action, thriller

Since it was about a kid, the studio thought they could 'appeal to the younger audience' by doing this:

Florence to Flora-Chan!:

(it's a bit rough but i dont feel like cleaning it up anymore >.>')

Florence, a top secret assassin, moves to a new city to go to school. However, the secret Bunny Assassin Guild accidentally files him into an all girls school! Now he must blend in the crowd and hope no one finds out before graduation!

"Something is...odd with the new transfer student. It must be a conspiracy!". Lily, the eccentric president of the occult club seems suspicious of the new transfer student Flora. With the help of her not-so-eccentric secretary Satin, she tries and befriends Flora. While trying to fake his gender, now he has to deal with an annoying classmate! What kind of hilarity will ensue? Find out, in Florence to Flora-Chan!
Genre: comedy, action, ecchi
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2014, 09:33 AM by pineapple pocky »
just browsing here and there

« Reply #19 on: Jun 29, 2014, 01:40 PM »

Basically if Boom was Sakura from CardCaptors
and if Meredith was Naga from Slayers.
I like both of those animes but noooooooooooooooooo nononono.
Boom would be the same age but look 18 because anime.

« Reply #20 on: Jul 02, 2014, 09:25 PM »

A secret Agent? Lets make her tortured and full of angst. She just wants to be a normal person but is burdened by her past and pursued by a shadowy group. She should have amnesia.
She needs to be younger and more hip. Lets make her a highschool student. And since we can't have her be homeless or a hobo lets have her be adopted by a handsome lawyer. He can be a single dad struggling with raising a young daughter.
Shes a bit too... ethnic. Lets make her whiter. We can do some product placement with the GAP for her clothing.
The powers are too unrealistic lets just make her like a regular spy. Like those Matt Damon movies but not as violent.
Also she needs a proper name but cool. Like Seline. We could spell it Selyne to make it hipper.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2014, 09:40 PM by KevJB »

« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2014, 09:03 PM »
pretty much just suzi-x and murray the robot from el superbeasto:

(the tamest screenshot i found...)

« Reply #22 on: Jul 18, 2014, 09:15 PM »
I'm speechless and also laughing forever

« Reply #23 on: Aug 20, 2014, 05:20 PM »

The wacky eclectic kids series, of a blue skinned alien with elf ears, who goes around teaching children science facts about the universe! Yay!

Poor Fob.
// get on my finger, carl! \\

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

179 Guests, 4 Users

[] [Think Tank]

Most Online Today: 404.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us