Random Shape Challenge!

Random Shape Challenge!
« on: Apr 27, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Howdy folks,

Now I'm sure more than 89.7% of you current voiders don't recognize me because I don't participate much around here anymore, but I've had this 'jam' planned for quite some time now and I think it would be fun/useful to many of you!

I present to you, the Random Shape Challenge!!! To put it simply, you take a page full of random shape outlines, paint blotches, coffee stains, etc. and turn off your brain and begin filling the shapes with whatever you can fit into them.  It's an excellent exercise to do as a warm up before a big drawing session, or to get some new fresh ideas when you're in a jam/ suffering from an art block.  Here's a quick example of some that I've done in the past.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

You get the idea?

So for this jam, I will initially provide you all with a high resolution scan of some random watercolor blotches which you can save and draw over using your program of choice, or you can even print them out and draw over them traditionally (my preferred method)!  Now this isn't about picking who filled the page with the best stuff, it just a nice warm up exercise with the purpose of getting you to try something new.

Here is your first assignment:

Hi-Res here --> http://sta.sh/0dtss01olty

The fun of this exercise is there's no set rules to executing it, just take the image and let your imagination take over, turn the page any direction you wish and you will begin seeing different things than you would just looking at it head on.  You don't need to get stuck drawing portraits either, try drawing mini environments, vehicles, architecture, anything!

Save at roughly 800px in width and upload for all to see, after about a week I will upload my results and supply a new batch of shapes.  Also, if you're feeling ambitious please make your own shapes and share them for others to fill out! We're here to grow and develop as artists, and this is a great way to get those creative juices flowing.

I look forward to seeing what you all have to offer, please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer as best I can.  Have fun!!

Re: Random Shape Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2014, 12:23 PM »
For a bit of inspiration, here are some more scans of shapes I've filled, this time with random outline shapes instead of watercolors.

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2014, 12:46 PM »

Still working with the bottom one. This is fun!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2014, 08:58 PM »
yay!......great creativity and style stretching exercise
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2014, 09:15 PM »
I guess those are little incense lamp thingies...

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Excellent work people! Looks like you've got a hang of it so far~ I like how you're both using the different colors to your advantage, really creative stuff.

Keep it up everyone, I hope to see more people participating soon!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2014, 06:38 PM »

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 07:40 AM »
I say old chap! Care for a spot of tea?

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Whoa, great work everyone, hah! It's awesome to see all the different interpretations of the splotches.  Wonder what a psychiatrist would have to say about this? Hmm...

I'll upload the next round of shapes soon. In the mean time, if anyone wants to share their own blank shapes please feel free to do so! Just upload them at high resolution, at least 300dpi so it will be easy to work with.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 09:22 PM »
used this as a quick warm up exercise...which I really really needed

it really is a great way to get both your mind and your hands warmed up
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 08:28 AM »
Wow! These are all great! What an awesome warm-up!

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

308 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us