Top 10 US States - game map

Top 10 US States - game map
« on: Apr 23, 2014, 07:55 AM »
I have this project for a game that I will start working on as soon as I get a new job. Untill then I'm working on the details, e.g. map that has 3 countries similar to north america. I can't place too many areas as I'd be doing the whole thing myself, so I'd just chose 8-12 states (4-6 Cities in Canada, 3-5 Cities inMexico).
So I ask you what are the most representative states with their representative cities to show off whole USA.

Re: Top 10 US States - game map
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Movies have deemed New York, New York and Los Angeles, California as the ambassadors of United States culture~

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2014, 10:52 AM »
You could take a US map with all the states and sort of combine the states into regions--a quick sketch--

Ideas for cities:
Northwest - Seattle
West Coast - Los Angeles, Las Vegas
Southwest - Dallas, Salt Lake City
Southeast - Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami
Great Plains - St. Louis
Great Lakes - Chicago, Detroit
Northeast - New York, Boston

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2014, 12:08 PM »
That's awesome summary Kent!!

I don't think I can use Hawaii as that would require aquatic travel - that's maybe when everything is done and I have to create more content with new continents.

Wouldn't Great Plains states have more remarcable cities?

Where are the biggest mountains in US?

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Also, speaking as a man in Miami, South Florida is very different from the rest of the SouthEastern US. Very hispanic, and Miami's a huge party city. Wouldn't be considered part of the "Deep South".

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Thanks Wolcik!

The thing about the "Great Plains" or Midwest region is that the cities aren't as big as on either coast--that's sort of its big characteristic. Major cities sort of thin out as you travel East to West, barring a few major ones along the way, and until you get to California of course.

On this map the Rocky Mountains flow down from the Canada, through the upper right corner of the Northwest, down leftmost edge of the Great Plains section, and down to the middle of Southwest section.

Another important mountain range, the Appalaichans, which run from the top of the Northeast down through to the middle of the Southeast.

The 11 tallest mountains in the US are all in Alaska, however, so I'd suggest sticking with general ranges. The highest mountain in the main US is in the middle of California, Mt. Whitney, but no one ever talks about Mt. Whitney.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2014, 01:21 PM »
I wouldn't be using Alaska, cause I wanted to player to be able to enter only states he has citisienship bought in or adjacent ones - so I might need more areas than that.

The setting is more fantasy one with elfes and orcs, but I may still mix things up about the magic races.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2014, 01:42 PM »

Wouldn't Great Plains states have more remarcable cities?

MINNEAPOLIS, YO.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23, 2014, 02:00 PM »
Haha yeah I guess :p

Also, if you need to break up areas it'd be easy to break Texas off from the Southwest due to sheer size. Also you can split Great Plains into Northern and Central Plains--if so, I'd move Montana and Utah from the Northwest and Southwest regions to the Northern Plains to make the sizes more evened out.

Maybe:
Northwest - Seattle, Portland
North Central - Mineapolis
Central Plains - Denver, St. Louis
South Central (Texas) - Dallas, Houston
West Coast - Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas
Southwest - Phoenix, Salt Lake City
East Central - Washington DC, Nashville
Southeast - New Orleans, Atlanta, Miami
Great Lakes - Chicago, Detroit
Northeast - New York, Boston, Philadelphia

For Canada, I'm afraid I can't help you :D
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2014, 02:31 PM by Mister K E N T »

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Canada and Mexico will have their own cities, towns and villages, but they will be bought access to as a whole area

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

540 Guests, 3 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 643.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us