The Zac Gorman Question.

The Zac Gorman Question.
« on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:54 AM »
So my team has been thinking of doing an extra comic on the side but this comic is more a thing of inspiration and just as the gods of nintendo would have it, there's a thing going on right now called Twitch Plays Pokemon.

And my question is thus:

What is the ruling behind doing copyrighted works as a parody or tribute ? I saw what Zac Gorman did with magic game time and quite frankly the premise we're attempting is quite similar.

Re: The Zac Gorman Question.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:08 AM »
You would have to read up on parody law, but as long as it's not huge I don't see Nintendo striking down the hammer on you.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:23 AM »
under copyright law, parody is indeed okay, but you have to prove it in some way or form if you actually do get a lawsuit. A easy way to roundabout is to create a derivative, you might have noticed it in a lot of cartoons. Some nice examples is 'Mapple' (apple computers), AmaZombie (Amazon, cept it takes place in the underworld), and Oniqlo (Uniqlo, but takes place in demonworld).
I believe that Nintendo did ask for an insane amount from Disney (or was it pixar or something else?) for rights, but they didn't want to pay the amount. So instead of Mario Cart in Wreck it Ralph, they used Candy Crush...i think that's the name of the game.

You can always email them if it's okay, who knows.
just browsing here and there

« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:44 PM »
One loophole I've been taught is that changing art styles can be considered parody. Zac Gorman's comics are not outright comedic parodies, but they reinterpret the games in his personal style, one that is not easily mistaken for the official Nintendo look. The main goal of IP laws is to prevent consumer confusion, so as long as you take steps to avoid that (by changing the style or by including disclaimers), you should be okay.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:55 PM »
A (relatively) little while ago, the rights that protect people who create stuff based on/using other stuff was expanded. As long as you can prove that your work is transformative, and uses the base work to create someone new rather than derivative, you're protected. Of course, this is highly dependant on the opinions of whomever is judging your case should you get brought to court.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

297 Guests, 2 Users

[] [Think Tank]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us