Illustration Promo Pieces: Who wants in?

Illustration Promo Pieces: Who wants in?
« on: Feb 26, 2014, 10:58 AM »
As someone who popped out of Illustration, creating promo pieces are a key to getting my name out. Editorial Illustration is a bit different from comics, since most of it is a stand-alone illustration.

Anyhow, I am giving the opportunity to anyone who wants to dive in to this business or at least try this experience once in their life to help me out, as postage and costs for stuff is always cheaper when people chip in.

Here's some info before the rest of the details:

What do you mean a 'promo piece'?
Promotion pieces is basically a postcard with your work that an editor or art director can keep for future reference. They often have binders at hand full of these things by different artists. When they need a specific illustration, they look for a piece they like, and contact you. Basically, like a business card for them to keep, but instead of a tiny 2.5x3 card, it's a 4x6 with an actual image on it.

Illustration? Is that like a comic?
Well, it COULD be. But for the sake of clarification for most of the addresses I'm mailing to, they are newspaper, magazine, and book publications (a number of them are children's book publishers). What you see in editorial illustration is usually an image that depicts an IDEA. Not necessarily an amazingly hyper realistic image, sometimes simple is good. But it represents an idea, a topic, a situation, etc. Sometimes wacky/cartoony is the way to go.

Okay. now, back to topic.

What's going to happen:
1) Everyone sends me an image file (4.25x6.25, 300dpi), gives me their name, email, and website.
2) I get them all printed at the same site and mailed to me (shipping is cheaper when you order more)
3) I have a book full of publishers; I will take everyone's work, and categorize them into pieces most suited for certain publication companies (for example, if your work is themed in Japanese culture, then I will look for cultural magazine publication company). Everyone gets fifty postcard prints, and I will categorize them in sixty-eighty envelopes (depending on theme)
4) Purchase postage, the promo pieces will all be grouped into envelopes and mailed out. DONE.

And some more questions to clarify:

How soon will I get a job from this?
LOL that's a hilarious joke! Well, it depends, really. It might be years it might be never. The thing is that now that the promo piece is sent to them, the editor might keep or toss it, but if they keep it they will know your art for the future. If what they're looking at is what they're interested in, they'll contact you. You'll never know, it's different for everyone.

What's the approximate cost?
I'm hoping to keep it so it's less than $20 per person. But I need to have at least three people to make this happen.

What kind of art is good for this?
Usually illustration is looking for provoking ideas, so if your art looks UNIQUE (like it has a nice 'style' that not everyone can emulate), if it is THOUGHT PROVOKING (like it displays an idea or concept without having the need of a verbal explanation), or it provides a strong sense of EMOTION (like your work is very dark, or it's very sad, kinda hard to describe this one). Basically, a drawing of someone standing up straight is most likely not going to get you anywhere, but a drawing of someone drinking coffee would be more likely. When choosing your art piece, please make sure it's something you enjoy drawing or you're comfortable with. If you made an awesome drawing of a monster, but you hate drawing monsters, that is definitely not a good piece to turn in. However if you love dinosaurs, your promo piece could be of a dinosaur--maybe an editor who is looking for an artist to draw them for a children's book would be interested.

Extra: Some of you might be masters of typography or vector work, that's totally fine. It's like the rage now anyways.

I do two different styles, what if I want to do both?
I'm going to limit everyone to three promotional pieces at tops. But they better be very different. Yes you need to pay extra for printing.

Waaah! I can't choose which piece, can you help me?
Yes, you can ask me.

I'm not in the United States, is that okay?
Yes, but just to inform you, the only place I'm mailing out these things is in the United States. Printed postcards will be sent to my house, so there is no need to anything like international shipping. There have been many situations where publishers will contact across the globe. The wonderful thing about freelance illustration is that most of it is digital information, so contact and work can be done via internet nowadays.

I have my own postcards, and i don't want you to print them for me. Is that okay?
Yep, just send me a message and mail them to me. I need fifty per illustration.

So many publishers/editors! Are you insane?
Yes. But no, on this topic. The chances of an editor looking and being interested is slim, and just like a website, one mailed out piece is only like one pagehit. You need a LOT of pagehits to get anywhere.

I don't think my art is ready, is it okay?
If you're not ready, don't do it. I am trying to keep these promotional pieces in the envelope looking as professional as possible.

Due date: July 20, 2014
*Yes it is perfectly fine to use a drawing you've done already. Preferably nothing over a year ago. A few months should be enough time to make one, two, or even three if you want. Doesn't matter if it's b/w or color.

Please post here if you're interested.  If you're not committed but still interested, just say so. Don't want to screw my information too much.

I will send more info and request for contact if you are completely committed.

1)Pineapple Pocky
2)?
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2014, 10:31 PM by pineapple pocky »
just browsing here and there

Re: Illustration Promo Pieces: Who wants in?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2014, 01:19 PM »
bumpy bumping this up.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2014, 01:36 AM »
Hey Pocky,

I am still gonna do this. I am totes dead atm but should be able to send it to you by eod tom?

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:53 AM »
totally fine :)

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2014, 01:56 AM »
UGH I can't believe I missed this. DDDD: *sigh* perhaps next time...

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2014, 08:13 AM »
If you can manage a set of fifty postcards mailed to my house around next week it'll still be good. I'm still waiting for current set to be printed.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2014, 11:43 PM »
Edit: Never mind found the site you used for postcards.

How is the quality in your opinion with overnight prints?  Do I  order from the same site and have it mailed directly to you? Or are you talking about postcards (that I already should have on hand) sent to you?
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2014, 11:50 PM by shojintakaru »

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Sorry for late reply, i can't believe i missed your post.

Apparently shipping arrives on the 21st for my postcards, and despite their name they take forever but quality is the best I'm aware of. If you're willing to pay a couple more bucks, you can get it at ps print and I can pick it up there. page: http://www.psprint.com/postcards

I can also go to the printshop and print them on cardstock and individually cut them all out, but that will cost a little over twenty bucks too.

Same with everyone here, if you're interested.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 AM by pineapple pocky »

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Okay, I'm resetting this thing again for anyone interested. The more the merrier (and cheaper). Please read revised info on first post if you'd like to join the fun.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

280 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 310.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us