Back once again with the ill behavior. [NEWNESS 11.21.14]

I'M NOT DEAD!!! [11.24.2014]

Void is more than comics to me. My whole life I've always been the person who starts amazing things and never finishes them. This is a promise to myself to become a better person and see things through to the end. This new page is a first step in that direction.

I've been drawing and studying art/writing like crazy since I first started this thread. Hopefully it shows in my work

[Past shizzz]

Been lurking this site for mad years now. Figure it's time I finally submit something.

This is a character that I'd eventually like to make a full comic about, but I don't have any experience making sequential art, so I figure Enter Void is a good place to brush up my skills. I don't have a name for this dude yet, but he has a backstory. Here goes...

He's a digitized human in a robot body and he's been sent back in time to the year 7013 to defeat the evil Renegade Masters and restore power to the people. Only, upon arriving in the past, he quickly realizes that this isn't the first time he's been sent back when he discovers the corpses of his copies from different timelines who all failed their mission. DUN DUN DUNNNNNN.

His gun is called the Default Damager (a.k.a. DFLT DMGR)and does all sorts of fun stuff. Handlebars and a visor can sprout from the front so it can be ridden like a hovercycle, it has a pop-up scope with flip-out OLED screen (with 400K display!), it can store a  petabyte of of information, has music and video playback, has an invisible camo setting, and can be controlled remotely.

His personality SEEMS over-the-top and off-the-handle, but he's a calculative dude and always in control of any situation.

I'm not set on his color scheme yet, but I'll post some more character studies and a better look at DFLT DMGR soon. In the meantime, please let me know what you think!

UPDATE [4.28.14]

Here's a WIP sneak peek a the first of four intro pages. This is my first time drawing a comic page EVER as well as my first time inking with a brush, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out so far. Character design sheet coming soon!

[UPDATE 4.30.2014]

One more update before I tweak this bad boy for scanning and coloring.

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2014, 04:31 PM by brownkidd »
"You will never change the world by trying to be like it."

Re: Back once again with the ill behavior.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2014, 05:21 PM »
I think my retinas are burning, LOL.
Seems like it would be a neat story, and the design is nice, but maybe share a more technical drawing of the dude (especially that wicked gun) so when he gets accepted, the people you battle against can make sure they get all the cool detail in.

And pages! Post us up some pages, I'd like to see the guy's personality and how it plays out in sequentials  ^.^

There are a bunch of different ways to make sequentials, a shitton of different paneling/comic styles. I'd suggest, going and finding a comic you like and trying to do what they do (That is what I did  ^.^)
// get on my finger, carl! \\

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2014, 05:27 PM »
First off, Welcome!

Character itself looks pretty rad design wise, and the story you got for him sounds promising for some sweet comics to come. I'll be nit picky about the choice of BG you went with and say that it kind of distracts me from your OC, but really that's all I can say about it! You got some awesome potential but to be more in depth about feedback, I'd have to see some more from you. A proper design sheet displaying your character back and front would be a preferable reference to use when you join the site, so hope to see that along with some intro pages!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Ok, right off the bat I have two things to say:

1- Backstory paragraphs = SNORE. Use your intro comic to tell us this, SHOW us the story, don't just type out a paragraph. That's what's so cool about comics: they can tell a story and drop knowledge an details without the need for a text wall.

2 - This is a good start for a design sheet, but there needs to be a bit more detail. Since he's a robot, it would be helpful to show a front and a back for him, as well as several mood faces for his display screen. You might also want to go more radical on the color, since he looks a lot like the robot from FLCL

BONUS - If I saw a comic titled "BACK ONCE AGAIN WITH THE ILL BEHAVIOR" at a con or in a shop, I would buy that shit so hard.

This guy looks pretty cool. Now let's see some pages!
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2014, 10:44 PM »
+PAGES

aside from that, it might be neat if you're going to  go with a crazy colorscheme throughout and have his colorscheme change from page to page, or battle to battle.

Let's see a ref sheet, too!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2014, 04:46 AM »
Heyo hey! Always glad to see new submissions and it looks like you got some great critique already. Here are my first impressions:

- I agree with most everyone else your paragraph summation really blows the winds out of your sails when it comes to your story. We read it and know what to expect, so here's hoping you blow us out of the water with your sequentials.

- From a character building standpoint, I think you're trying to make your fighter the Swiss army knife of personalities. He's over-the-top and off-the-handle, and calculative and always in control? If he juices and cuts fries, I would buy him for my home! Don't be afraid to commit to one angle and really expand on it. I like the idea of an over the top TV personality time traveler.

- Right off the bat, I also saw Canti from FLCL as well, so definitely experiment with different shapes and color schemes. The gun looks so wacky, it should have a funky wielder to match!

- You have an awesome character with a TV for a face. I'd definitely recommend exploiting that and not just sitting on the 'regular face' format. Some great examples
http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120225231460/borderlands/images/6/6d/Zero01.png
(NSFW)
http://31.media.tumblr.com/2d976d9418c21f5404c4aec1ca1379a9/tumblr_mqxbrgVJ5Z1sb403uo1_500.png

I think its great you're here to hone your comic making skills. That's the exact reason I joined myself once upon a time. I just enjoyed it so much here I stuck around. Lookin' forward to seein' those pages!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2014, 04:07 AM »
Updated with a page in progress.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2014, 06:37 AM »
Loving the no fear attitude with the blacks on that page, good to see you haven't abandoned us, also :P

I definitely wanna see more pages from you, especially once they're scanned in and cleaned up with some text and maybe some colors?? Good stuff!

Re: Back once again with the ill behavior. [UPDATED 4.28.14]
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Thanks, Mintley!

It's definitely been a learning process. For the past few months I've been doing a lot of research on not just comic art, but how to structure a compelling story, pacing, etc. I also keep the entire collection of "The Best Of Wizard Basic Training" books nearby at all times.

Been practicing my skills until I was confident enough to FINALLY get on this. Super excited about it.

Re: Back once again with the ill behavior. [UPDATED 4.28.14]
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2014, 07:46 PM »
I'm psyched to see your progress! The design is fantastic :)

Re: Back once again with the ill behavior. [UPDATED 4.30.14]
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2014, 05:09 AM »
Gracias, Mister Kent.

Updated with one last pic before the finished version goes up.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2014, 05:12 AM by brownkidd »

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 01:45 AM »
I gotta tell ya, your character looks so much more striking when he's in black and white as opposed to color. Great pages!

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Please come back with that ill behavior because you are nailing those pages so far!

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 07:09 AM »
Don't worry! Still here. I do freelance video production and had a buttload of jobs fall in my lap, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on this. Here's something to hold you over in the meantime. Still a work in progress.

Still tweaking his design. Realized I don't like the weird diaper thing and I came up with a way more awesome idea for his gun, so this might not even be worth finishing. Who knows.

Exciting things to come! Stay tuned!

(And thanks for the words of encouragement! It's definitely motivating and gives me fuel to keep going!)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 07:11 AM by brownkidd »

Re: Back once again with the ill behavior. [NEWNESS 5.27.14]
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 07:55 AM »
That looks so cool kid! I like his suit and the colors you used--nice details too!

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Yaaaaaay! I totally understand being busy, but I hope you'll at least post sketches as you get the time. And don't let a day go by without at least drawing something! It's really hard to get going strong when you've been sitting on your ass for months like I have (I just barely managed to squeeze in my art for today at the last minute).

A side note on whether your previous work is worth finishing: you've gotta find the right balance between making sure you don't give up too early in the process (thus losing the opportunity to hone your skills on your trouble spots) and being willing to "kill your baby" (I don't know who said that, but it's stuck with me for years and made a huge difference in my art) and start fresh when you know you've got something that would be worth more re-doing than finishing as-is. And you can always come back and finish an old work of art for practice using new coloring techniques or whatever later!

« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Bumping because I'm done being a lazy poopoo.

Re: Back once again with the ill behavior. [NEWNESS 11.21.14]
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Heck yeah! Back with the Ill behaviour, the sequel, REDUX.

HYPED! get working on those pages, mang!

« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:07 PM »
What a cool style!

« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Interesting.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

289 Guests, 3 Users

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us