VOID Monthly Artist Showcase II: July

Poll

Which Mystery Artist 'out-Melvin-ed' the rest?

Mystery Artist A
12 (60%)
Mystery Artist B
8 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: Jul 25, 2013, 01:46 PM

VOID Monthly Artist Showcase II: July
« on: Jul 04, 2013, 11:52 PM »
This will be a very special type of artist jam, the Monthly Artist Showcase had many previous incarnations on the Web all of which I believe are now since defunct.
One of these previous versions was completely to blame for me joining VOID in the first place.

It will work as follows; each month an original character design will be presented. Character Designs will consist of either a turnaround image or front and rear view images (at least one should be in colour) and a short biography.

Artist Entries will consist of a pin-up  or splash page containing the monthly character design. Entries will(hopefully) be submitted to me by e-mail before the deadline.
Images should be within 800 pixels x 800 pixels or thereabouts for proper viewing on the forums.
These entries will be posted in the thread by me after the Deadline and forum viewers will be able to vote by poll on their favorite along with any comments.

DON"T POST THE ENTRIES HERE.....E_MAIL THEM TO ME.........MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR FORUM NAME IN THE E-MAIL

An example of the previous incarnation may veiwed here: http://entervoid.com/index.php?topic=11740.0
...and since this probably quite new to more than a few of you....don't be afraid to ask questions.

The winner each month will then be asked to submit their own original design for the following month.

weiingnan@gmail.com
THIS MONTHS DEADLINE IS July 18 ....all entries must be in my E-mail before 12 Midnight this date.
VOTING WILL BEGIN ON July 19-20 and the Winner will be announced on July 26

Any artwork submitted after deadline will be posted after voting is over...... and after winner is announced anyone still wishing to submit images to this thread may do so.

The Winner will then have until Aug 2 to Submit their new original character design.
In the event of a tie the winning artists have a choice; work on a submission together or submit two seperate entries.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2013, 12:46 PM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

Re: VOID Monthly Artist Showcase II: July
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2013, 11:56 PM »
VOID M.A.S. July 2013
character design submitted by FetusMan

MELVIN

Full Name: Melvin Waturski (pronounced 'waterski')
Height : 5'9"
Bio:
        When a mysterious package arrives at Melvin's doorstep, it's not long before he realizes it's from his uncle, a military scientist who recently went missing.
        Inside the box Melvin finds a strange glove-like device connected to a helmet and a beat up folder full of cryptic notes and instructions.  Inside the box is also a note which simply reads 'keep it safe'.
         Reading the contents of the folder it doesn't take long for Melvin to learn that his uncle had been experimenting with captured alien technology, working to create a device that can enhance and project a persons latent psychic energy.
         After weeks of studying his uncle's notes Melvin is confident he can control the device and use it's power to track down and help his uncle out of whatever trouble he's found himself in.

ARTIST SUBMISSIONS

The entries are in and voting will continue until September 1st to decide the winner. The winner will then provide their own original character design for next month.

Please feel encouraged to provide your review of the work and response.

Mystery Artist A

Mystery Artist B
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2013, 01:40 PM by Wei Ingnan »

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2013, 01:56 PM »
over 200 views and no comments or questions...I can  only hope that means that you are all far too busy working on your entries to do anything else

8 more days til deadline....entries are due before 12 midnight on July 18th

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2013, 02:32 PM »
Count me in. I really like this idea.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2013, 02:36 PM »
I am on my third version of my piece, so rest assured that my silence = busybusybusy ;D

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2013, 06:24 PM »
I'm working on this over the weekend.
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Also, if you do this... don't sign your work! Haha, sometimes you can tell who did what... but it's supposed to be a secret so don't slap your name on the bottom. That happened a few times when we did this before.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2013, 02:32 PM »
just a few days left....remember entries are to be submitted to my e-mail NOT here in thread....I will be posting the submissions anonymously and will announce  the winner after a week of voting

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2013, 12:43 PM »
last day of deadline...all entries are due tonight before midight
remember send them to my e-mail...don't post them here and don't post that you have submitted...entries are supposed to be anonymous until after voting

any artwork submitted after deadline will be posted after voting is over...... and after winner is announced anyone still wishing to submit images to this thread may do so
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2013, 12:47 PM by Wei Ingnan »

« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2013, 01:49 PM »
Submissions were received and are now posted above and voting poll is open...Winner will be announced on July 26th.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2013, 03:37 PM »
Ahh these are great!

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Awesome, great to see the submissions, though a larger turnout would have been nice ;)!

Now for a quick critique~

Artist A -  Excellent work, nice use of perspective and environment. Though I think it would have worked better if you kept it green toned, my eyes get drawn to the soda can because of all the vibrant colors and the subject gets lost. Also the figures anatomy seems phoned in, his furthest leg is larger than the one that should be closer in perspective, also his forearm in perspective looks strange, it looks somewhat like he's an amputee with a tentacle shoulder pad, you should practice more with building shapes into figures in perspective to make everything feel like it fits.  Good work overall though!

Artist B - Slick Stuff! First off big points for sticking to the design so well, even down to the little sliding switches and button placement. I admire an artist who sticks to a design while making it their own. Also nice layout and colors choice, makes him look like some club kid in the 90's, always a good thing.  Good form and construction, the hands and face are especially solid.  My only real nitpick is the helmet looks a bit small and oblong on his head, i imagine it larger and rounder like a ping pong ball. Though its really all semantics in the end. Very well done!

Good luck both of you!
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2013, 10:46 PM by Fetus Man »

« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Last time this was going on the first one also only had two entries, but the next one had like 20! Hoping next round will be like that!

« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2013, 09:43 PM »
voting ends tomorrow at midnight and the winner will be officially unmasked on the 26th.

i want to thank both of the artists that contributed ...and in true VOID fashion i will do so by commenting on the artworks submitted

Artist A: for the most part i agree with fetus' response....using fields of white in addition to flat greens would have improved this image
in addition something to break up the background...even actual tone or additonal shadow would also have added to it

but despite the roughness and lack of proper anatomical accuracy.. the work has  a personality and conveys a story

Artist B: while technically far superior and visually much slicker than the preceeding submission this piece is a rather flat representation of the character and despite the visual 'gloss and glitter' there is very little going on in this image......this is you drawing the character...which is ok..... but.i would rather see a pinup of this character by you...with a healthy portion of your imagination and creativity to go with your artistic ability

good luck to you both and i look forward to the winning artists character design.
....and what will hopefully be many entries with more helpful reveiws of them

« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2013, 02:01 PM »
...and the winner is Mystery Artist A....Ahmed
Ahmed has until Aug 2nd to submit his original character design for next month's competition

« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2013, 02:13 PM »
Congratulations Ahmed! A worthy opponent :))

« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2013, 02:31 PM »
I'd like to see the sketches/designs you tossed aside

« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2013, 10:38 PM »
Okay :) Originally I was going to do a profile portrait ~ even in these sketches I still didn't have the helmet too big, I had it a little too tight on Mel's head. I did some sketches of the cool techno arm thingy, because I'd considered doing a Power Rangers style "morphin' time" pose with it, but I didn't go that route!

If I were to do it again I'd get really crazy and exaggerated with the helmet, and leave it really wobbly on Melvin's head. Also I never get tired of drawing that cord!

« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2013, 01:51 PM »
yah...darn...thought you might have gone in another direction with some of the other concepts....but you hit the nail on the head in your own comments....you are doing 'portraits'....this isn't about portraits...its about pin-ups and splash pages...somthing that tells a little story or conveys attitude and emotion...somthing beyond just a basic representation in a particular style...thats what people should be aiming for and you are missing the mark...you know how to draw/photoshop obviously....but this is drawing and telling a little story in one image/page

there isn't anything wrong technically with what you are doing..you have the skills...but you aren't giving us the right energy or imagery........you are showing us a portrait taken at the mall as opposed to a spread in national geographic (although if someone had actually convincingly done a 'portrait taken at the mall' that would have been so awesome)....so going full bore on the sentai train might have been the better route

...and I hope this is all taken in the right context.....supposed to be fun but also an oppourtunity for you to practice and learn/get better
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2013, 01:53 PM by Wei Ingnan »

« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2013, 02:03 PM »
No I see exactly what you mean :)) I'm excited for next time to try this again, try out some new things!
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2013, 02:07 PM by K E N T »

« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2013, 02:49 PM »
now I'm twice as excited

« Reply #21 on: Jul 29, 2013, 09:14 AM »
I'm def not missing out on the next one. I've missed these Showcases.

« Reply #22 on: Aug 01, 2013, 04:29 PM »
I'll have my character design submitted sometime tonight or early tomorrow! I hope you guys like it!

« Reply #23 on: Aug 01, 2013, 04:32 PM »
EEE can't wait! ;D

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

235 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 284.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us