Suggestions?

Suggestions?
« on: May 23, 2013, 06:55 AM »
So, I was super thrilled that so many people participated in Round 1... but now that has dwindled to ... zero participation now lol.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions or comments on VCU. I don't want to nix it, but there's no point of having it if no one will ever use it.

So:

Do you think you will ever participate in a VCU challenge? Why?

What kind of challenge would you want to participate in?

Would a more interactive or group based thing be more appealing?

What can be done to make it better?

Re: Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:18 AM »
Do we still have it to where only mods can start threads here? Opening it to everyone being able to start topics could help boost activity too. Just obviously we'll reserve the right to remove anything that doesn't belong in the section.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:28 AM »
Well then, I shall also ask if anyone would have any interest in creating their own challenges?

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:13 AM »
Do you think you will ever participate in a VCU challenge?

Yeah! I really like the VCU, and I feel bad I haven't been doing them recently. I've just been freaking out over my Black Stripe submission.

Why?

I get a lot back from doing this stuff. Like, from VCU Round 1 I ended up using a pose I sketched to help me in one comic. Round 2 was crazy awesome, I found out a new way to draw backgrounds, and stumbled onto a fun way to quickly add tones to them that'll I think I'll be using during Prettiest Princess. I find VCU super helpful.

What kind of challenge would you want to participate in?

I like everything, so I can't really be helpful here. Anything that gets me out of my comfort zone really.

Would a more interactive or group based thing be more appealing?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I would like it if people were encouraged to critique more in VCU. Even when there was a lot of activity in the first round, it was mostly posting art. I'm totally guilty of this too, since I didn't try to be helpful at all.

I like Angie's idea to have people other than mods help create VCU rounds. We could just open up the forum to let anyone post and moderate it closely, or have people send a mod a mock-up of the round they'd like to make to approve then post. Also, a template could help keep them consistent.

We could also make a rule that whoever posts a VCU Round thread has to participate in it, so that there's at least one person  submitting content to get more people interested in that challenge.

Well then, I shall also ask if anyone would have any interest in creating their own challenges?

I was interested in making a challenge about varying the details in background stuff to make different backgrounds. I'm not very good at explaining it succintly, so I'm not sure if you know what I mean.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:31 AM »
I haven't been on here much lately, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but having read up on it a bit, I thought I give you my two cents:

First of all, I have to give you two thumbs up for the VCU initiative, taking your time to think up and make assignments for the rest of us to learn is worth major awesomepoints!

Now, on to your questions:

Q:Do you think you will ever participate in a VCU challenge? Why?
A:Yes (if real life allows). Mainly because I could use the practice..

Q:What kind of challenge would you want to participate in?
A:As Puzzlething said; Anything that gets me out of my comfort zone really.

Q:Would a more interactive or group based thing be more appealing?
Uhmm.. I really don't know. the VOIDCHAT room is there, maybe it could be used as a "classroom" of sorts.

Reinstate the teacher. And by that I mean that the person making the thread should be responsible for constructive feedback (aka telling me what I am doing wrong). I know that would be asking a lot and not everyone has the time to be an art-teacher (for free!) on her/his spare time, but someone telling you what you are doing wrong would be greatly helpful..

More of an off-the-wall suggestion, what about lessons on livestream -audio/video about any subject (anatomy, posing, drapery, shading, coloring, perspective, storytelling, etc) ?

Sure - aslong as he/she is up to the task.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Reinstate the teacher. And by that I mean that the person making the thread should be responsible for constructive feedback (aka telling me what I am doing wrong). I know that would be asking a lot and not everyone has the time to be an art-teacher (for free!) on her/his spare time, but someone telling you what you are doing wrong would be greatly helpful..

Wishful thinking, really. I don't think a single person could really fill that role. Ideally, I thought we could all critique each other, like we normally do on our comics.

I like Angie's idea to have people other than mods help create VCU rounds. We could just open up the forum to let anyone post and moderate it closely, or have people send a mod a mock-up of the round they'd like to make to approve then post. Also, a template could help keep them consistent.

I kind of like the template idea... The reason why it's closed right now is because we usually discuss and plan what's going here... and so we can make sure the right topics go in here.

It would be cool if people could find various challenge type things online and post their own versions here. I'm fine with opening it up to anyone to post here.

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:51 PM »
The teacher idea might work if a different person were in charge of each thread, and that person was an expert or at least highly interested in the topic at hand.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 01:58 PM »
I'm worried that might deter people. Let's say I found a cool drawing exercise and wanted to post it in here, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert in that subject. What happens then?

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Then you just don't act as a teacher so much. It doesn't have to be a requirement to be an expert, it just seems like people who feel confident about a topic might do a good job of providing feedback if they create the thread.

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 02:26 PM »
Do you think you will ever participate in a VCU challenge? Why?

Ideally? YES! I'd like to--it seems fun.
Realistically? No :( I'm working on half a dozen comics at any given moment, so I don't really have the time. At least not now, maybe someday.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 04:13 PM »
I'm always willing to do livestreams to teach people how to color, I've done it a bunch of times in the past. (provided time permits it, but when it does I can make a thread for it)
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 02:22 AM »
QFE:
Then you just don't act as a teacher so much. It doesn't have to be a requirement to be an expert, it just seems like people who feel confident about a topic might do a good job of providing feedback if they create the thread.

Also livestreams (or recorded video because of time-zones) would be excellent; in theory we could create a library of sorts with complete "video-tutorials"

« Reply #12 on: Aug 20, 2013, 12:35 PM »
I'm definitely bad for not participating in these, as I would love to do each and every one of these.  As a suggestion, what about "same character, different body type"?  We all know people come in all shapes and sizes, all equally fantastic and amazing.  So an excercise in creating a character that is visibly that character, regardless of what size they are?

I really wanna do these, will have more time in September when the company I work for finalizes the change in location.

« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I'm definitely bad for not participating in these, as I would love to do each and every one of these.  As a suggestion, what about "same character, different body type"?  We all know people come in all shapes and sizes, all equally fantastic and amazing.  So an excercise in creating a character that is visibly that character, regardless of what size they are?

I really wanna do these, will have more time in September when the company I work for finalizes the change in location.

Whoa. I really like that one.

This section of the forum is actually now open for anyone to post a new topic. I'd love for you, and anyone else that has a good idea, to create a new topic and set up the challenge. If you don't want to, I can do it later for you and write something up with some examples!

That sounds like a really fun challenge. As you might have noticed, I'm only really good at thinking of soul-crushing challenges :)

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

297 Guests, 3 Users

(1 Hidden)

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us