A Colossal Princess

A Colossal Princess
« on: Apr 26, 2013, 04:15 AM »
So I decided to create a princess.

She pretty much awakened after thousands of years of slumber and rose out of the ground only to see a big friggin city built atop the lands that she used to rule over. She is pretty shocked.

She also converses in an ancient tongue that people in Void don't speak.

Anyway, only got the quick sketches I did above, will make a design sheet later and hopefully not grow too attached to her.

UPDATE: So rather than sleep, I ended up doing more of her.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2013, 08:41 AM by Jiisuri »

Re: A Colossal Princess
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Oh man I love this princess. What a good idea. But why would a princess that massive need a weapon at all?

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Well, because smashing things with your hand wouldn't be very princess-like =O

This is a very striking concept, and very cool too! Fair warning; the nature of her comics will call for a LOT of cityscape shots, so be sure to beef up your cityscape drawing!

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Julz: her design pays homage to the third colossus Gaius from Shadow of the Colossus :)

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2013, 09:39 AM »
But why would a princess that massive need a weapon at all?

Maybe in her day, she was used to killing things bigger than her...

I love the design and it'll be fun to see her in action!

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Oooh, I had a feeling it might be an homage to SOTC. Hoping so even. I still love this character though.

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2013, 09:31 AM »
Yeah, heavy SOTC influence going on for her. Also, I've been in a mood for giants lately.

Also, have some inks.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2013, 10:49 AM »
She looks awesome, and I'm digging the horns. :)
\'Ello...

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Are the horns attached to her head, or a part of the helmet?

« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Me likes her.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 12:46 AM »
Horns are part of her head, rooted at where the ears are meant to be if she were human.

Edit: As we can see here. Also, now with base comparisons, side view and weapon ref.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:23 AM by Jiisuri »

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 07:21 AM »
Whoa, what huge building is that!? It's gotta be like 100 stories tall!

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 07:43 AM »
Whoa, what huge building is that!? It's gotta be like 100 stories tall!

I believe it is Empire State Building, which is 1,250 ft (381.0 m) high (102 floors)
If I dream of impossible, should I forget it?

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Yep, that's the empire state building.

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Holy crap I never realized how tall that was! So how does she compare to King Kong?

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 01:54 PM »
Well, because smashing things with your hand wouldn't be very princess-like =O

Smashing things with your hands can hurt a lot, even if the things are small enough to squish. A needle might be small in comparison, but it'll hurt like hell if you try to punch it.

On the character: The design is nice, but her thighs seem to be up to some mischief.
I personally like the second image, where she seems to have slightly longer limbs. It enhances the sense that she's huge, because her proportions play into the theme that she's more like a walking building than a human in terms of scale.
Look at Gaius for examples of this. The head of Gaius is tiny in comparison to his body, and it makes him seem even larger. The arms are longer and the legs are more like pillars than organic shapes.

Beware of her arms becoming too short, as it makes her look "stumpy", and not massive as she actually is.

The crown on her head could perhaps be made slightly taller, once again to accentuate the height of her. As it is now it kind of "cuts" her off at the top.

Depending on what her personality is like it could also pay of to be more direct with your strokes. Once again the second image is (in my opinion) better at this than the later ones. She just seems more powerfull and it works with her size that she moves with pretty much unstoppable direction. She could still be very careful if that is what you're going for, but there is weight behind her movement that is just colossal.

I also look forward to see what you do with perspective. I'd love to see you show some extreme angles and play with how enormous she is.

Must say I really like the idea, and look forward to read your stuff.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 09:40 PM »
Holy crap I never realized how tall that was! So how does she compare to King Kong?

Going by King Kong's biggest height at 40m, she's at least 6m taller than any iteration of him.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I approve of this.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 02:54 PM »
Oooo I hope your still entering the SDT, really want my character to battle yours.

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Not to discourage you...because I would very much like to see you compete.....but what is going on with her pelvis and the huge gap between her thighs ....this is further accented by the position and shape of the Armour on her thighs....makes it look even worse
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 04:42 AM »
She was made that way. Kinda hard to have a soft and slender crotch when you're made of some kind of stone.

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 07:03 AM »
I'm not sure, but I think what Wei was referring to was how the way you drew her thighs and her armor makes it look kind of like her legs are shaped like this:

It looks like her legs are either broken or just really weirdly shaped. I hadn't noticed before Wei's comment, but that might just be a little thing to fix (I don't think it's a huge deal as long as you pay attention to that in the future).

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Ooooh I see it now. Yeah will take note of that when I draw more of her.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

283 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us