GRAB A PARTNER! THE 2013 TAG TOURNAMENT!!

Poll

How do you feel about two shorter tournaments instead of one long one?

I'm for it!
32 (58.2%)
I'm against it!
13 (23.6%)
I'm not really sure. . .
10 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Re: GRAB A PARTNER! THE 2013 TAG TOURNAMENT!!
« Reply #175 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:42 PM »
As usual, remember we do view the votes on all battles to scan for shady activity. So keep this tournament clean everyone!
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #176 on: Feb 26, 2013, 12:36 AM »
Inception
1.How did you choose your partner? What qualities made them an appealing partner?

I didn't choose my partner, he chose me.. and it has been an honor to work with Felle, who was my 2nd opponent ever in Void, as well.

2. How much did your characters and story plans dictate this choice, if any?
The fact that P2 and Arena had met before made this a great matchup for what we had in store for our characters' eventual arcs.

3.How much research was required to craft your conflict with your opponents? If you did any at all.
Everything about the way this tournament started up just kept falling into our lap perfectly. First, the formidable Koba and Anya joined in, of whom Arena and P2 have beef with respectively, and that directed our first chapter. Then, we get paired up with Sonny, Arena's closest pupil, of whom they haven't seen each other in months.. it was just too perfect an opportunity to write the obvious.

Communication

4. How did you communicate your battle plans, brainstorming, progress with your partner?

Via deviantART notes, and near the end with emails and AIM to keep updated.

5. Did you feel the communication was good or could be improved? If so, what worked/didn’t work?
I think we didn't think about trying AIM at first for much quicker communication, so now that that's been revealed it may help us plan things out quicker.

6. What mediums or tools did you use to communicate effectively?
This sounds a bit like question 4..

Workload

7. Who performed which duties to your comics creation? Plotting, Scripting, Pencils, Inks, Colors, Lettering?

For this round, I wrote and colored what Felle drew and inked. I like writing screenplay format, so that is what I presented Felle with for him to decide on panels and composition.

8. How did you determine the division of labor between you and your partner?
The most obvious means of fair and even splitting was to decide who would draw and who would color. So after writing the script, I would start coloring every lineart that Felle finished. We also had a backup system where Felle would color flats for me if he finished lines before I finished colors, to help us save time.. and it helped us get 13/16 done, in the end.

9. What strengths or weaknesses did you attempt to manifest/cover up in your shared duties?
Felle has a wider range of artistic skill than I so it seemed like a natural fit for him to lead in the artwork. Felle actually offered to let me take full control of writing, which was fine with me since I love writing, often times to the point that I wrote too much for my hands to draw out on a time limit. I might also color a little faster than Felle, so with Felle's superior drawing and lining, it all fell into place pretty well.

10. Did you encounter some snags in your process that your partner helped you overcome?
I believe we helped each other out. I was able to get a script done relatively fast which meant Felle could focus on bringing that script to life the way that only he could. And when I was falling behind on colors, he helped with taking care of some flats.

Editorial
11. Were there any disagreements that arose between the two creators? Script issues, art issues, final cut decisions?

No disagreements, we were on the same page with just about everything. We did decide it was better to cut the re-slaying of Fedra short for the sake of bringing the opponents' characters back in faster, but that was also a unanimous decision.

12. How did you resolve any disputes that arose? Who made the final call?
No disputes yet. Hopefully none to come later.

Product

13. Are you satisfied with the fruits of your shared labors?
I am 81% satisfied. I'd be 100% satisfied if we were able to finish.

14. If yes, why? If no, what can you account that to and how can this be improved in the future?

Seeing as we both haven't Voided in a long time, and we have very busy lives, it was definitely a process to get back into the swing of things, and we didn't get the last pages fully completed as a result.

Tourney

15. Who did you want to fight in this tourney?
Koba and Anya. Felle feels the same.

16. Who did you fear to fight?

For me personally, it was probably anyone that could obstruct us from our main target. :) Hiemie the Fishboy and Toro Joe, Arena would stand no chance against them (And Set would probably join Murphy's Law)

17. What was the funniest thing that happened between your partnership during the comics creation?
While I'm sure we enjoyed ourselves I can't think of anything explicitly funny.

18. What was the most rewarding part?

Witnessing the fruits of our labors as each finished page was a fully realized mirror of the story we were trying to tell.

19. What was the most difficult part of your comics creation?
Timing. Busy lives prevented us from finishing, but we were probably also rusty. We're planning better for next round if we make it.

20. If you could do it all again, would you and what would you do differently?

Yes, completely. And I'd probably risk a late wake up to work or two to stay up later to finish the colors for pages.

« Reply #177 on: Feb 26, 2013, 01:47 AM »
1.How did you choose your partner? What qualities made them an appealing partner?
3:25 pm, January 25. Got a text from Knome, "Void Tag Team 2013." That's not all. Within that same day, I had another text from Wade suggesting a team up for the tournament, which is a story for another time.

The decision transcended our characters and any potential stories, this was about us as brothers in arms.  I think we both mystically agreed that this will be less about words coming out of peoples mouths and more about the fists punching those mouths.

3.How much research was required to craft your conflict with your opponents? If you did any at all.
Took me all of 45 minutes to throw together a scenario for all four fighters. Johnny Patch was the wildcard, and Johnny Sweet had some of the better plot possibilities. Johnny S. old west back-story led me to a Texas hold 'em setting. That was the easy part.

Communication

4. How did you communicate your battle plans, brainstorming, progress with your partner?
A mix of text messages and using Celtx workspace. Normally, Knome hits me up with a text to check in, but this time around I was hollering at him to make sure he wasn't killed by a table.

5. Did you feel the communication was good or could be improved? If so, what worked/didn’t work?
Our comm was good, but it could always be improved. Like, say Knome and I lived in the same area code. What did not happen was a daily dialogue between us, which I feel is important for any writer/artist team.

Celtx was a decent starting point for the prelim stuff. We shared thumbnails/panel map, costume redesigns, and hashed out finer details of the script there.

Workload

7. Who performed which duties to your comics creation? Plotting, Scripting, Pencils, Inks, Colors, Lettering?
Plot/script/colors/lettering/line art of pages 5-8 + 13-14 = me. Plot/line art of pages 1-4 + 9-12 = Knome.

The magic number was 15 (pages). Divide that by 2 (artists). With a tentative total like that, I was hesitant to leave it uneven, so I had hoped to throw in an intro splash and an epilogue/coda. Of course, that is not the case now.

9. What strengths or weaknesses did you attempt to manifest/cover up in your shared duties?
The story revolved around Knome's predisposition for action sequences. I, too, am a fan of hard boiled action, so that was that. Since this is my first sequential art project (in at least 4 years), I was rusty on sheer output. Luckily Knome banged out enough of the visuals that I didn't have to tax my brain on page design.

10. Did you encounter some snags in your process that your partner helped you overcome?
Lots. Firstly, the plot was thin and a one-liner festival. My kind of comic. There was a point in the drafting that I needed Res to deliver comeback remarks (pg10/panel6, pg11/panel3) that Knome filled in celtx (and quickly deleted, I think) that got a good reaction at my end on the level of YESSS THATS A ZINGER (something about calling Brute, "my lil pony"). And then there is the part where my phantom page 15 hinged on Knome's page 12. Nasty continuity stuff.

Editorial

11. Were there any disagreements that arose between the two creators? Script issues, art issues, final cut decisions?
The only disagreements were cosmetically minor details that we addressed during the mapping process. Specifically how everyone gestures in the poker scene and what kind of sunglasses Max wears. Altogether, I rolled in any ideas he had. Those being the helicopter explosion making a crater and Max freefalling. I definitely wanted Res to suplex Brute into the Johnnys. It worked in a way that we thought of cool moments to get EACH OTHERS fighter a time to shine.

Ultimately, I had the final say in the production. It was down to the wire of the weekend, and planning a updating session was not an option.

Product

Yes, and no.

14. If yes, why? If no, what can you account that to and how can this be improved in the future?
Yes as in Knome delivered some images that were on point (the dino suplex, Johnny Patch swinging a beam like a tornado). And seeing him draw a building was totally satisfying. No, as in, the deadline loomed when some key elements were losing value e.g. line edit/clean-up, color polish, panels and letters. It was a time-stab.

Tourney

P2 and Arena.

P2 and Arena.

17. What was the funniest thing that happened between your partnership during the comics creation?
The plot brainstorm was amusing (to me). Even before the tournament started, it was fun to talk about dusting knuckles.

Receiving Knome's last 2 pages (#11 & 12).

THE COLORING!

I would do it again only if I am allowed to freeze time for 48 hours on Saturday, February 23rd, coloring everything how I wanted to. Or maybe I could have stayed in on that day.
Respark clan ain't nuthin to f-ck wit.

« Reply #178 on: Feb 26, 2013, 08:20 AM »
My turn!

Inception
After I signed up as someone needing a partner, gregly sent me a PM saying something like "Want to be partners for the TTT? Maybe??? Of course, I said yes instantly.

Well, I was originally planning on using Nyle or Bill for the TTT, but when gregly and I teamed up, I HAD to use Ancelin. Their history together made for a perfect set-up, and gave us some interesting options for how to turn them into a team (since previous battles have all involved them being more or less enemies).

Well, considering the tight connection our characters have had in the past with Hiemie and Toro Joe, we didn't really have to do any research at all, other than getting up to speed with Hiemie's current design. Gregly may have done some more research, but for me it was already pretty straightforward.

Communication

By any means necessary! We mostly used Skype and Gmail, sometimes both at the same time.

gregly has a habit of signing into skype on a million different machines, so I can never tell if he's actually online or not, which caused some delays in communication. But he always got back to me, and I knew I could rely on him even when we were out of communication with each other.

Really, putting our ideas down in emails was much more effective for planning, since we could go back and reference what we had written earlier. Skype was good for double-checking on things and developing ideas before emailing each other about them. Transferring our PSD files back and forth was also crucial to our communication.

Workload

I inked and added the final dialogue; gregly did pretty much everything else.

Since I'm a huge fan of gregly's style, I suggested that he do pencils and I ink and color. As time drew short, however, it became clear that I wouldn't have enough time to color, so gregly stepped in and took over that part like a champ. We stayed in constant communication to make sure our comic was completed one way or another.

gregly is a much faster penciler than I am, and is better at putting together comic pages in general, I think. I was hoping to address some critiques he had gotten about inking in a previous comic he did, although I'm sure he would have done just fine anyways. I was hoping to use my coloring skills as a strength here, but my slowness counteracted that.

My biggest snag was my lack of time, which gregly compensated for beautifully.

Editorial
Our biggest disagreement was deciding between two good storylines for our comic. gregly is so laid back, it wasn't difficult to work with him at all.

We didn't really have disputes, but we kind of just added whatever we wanted to the comic during our turn working on it, and communicated with each other if we weren't sure about anything.

Product

Definitely! I think this is the best comic either of us has done for VOID (or at least, the best than I've been part of).

We did an excellent job of complementing each other's strengths, and had a lot of fun with it. I relied on gregly to make awesome pencil sketches, then added my own little flair through witty dialoge and retarded facial expressions. The only thing that would have been better is if we had more time to add detail to the backgrounds.

Tourney

Goodness! Who DIDN'T I want to fight? Everyone was really amazing in this tourney. I was especially looking forward to Scrumpy and Mammon, Hiemie and Toro Joe, and Satin and Lilyfeather, in particular.

Hiemie and TINMAN... of course... Also, Kura and Shen, Dure and ledes, and becs and mags.

I think the funniest thing that happened between us was how we managed to whip out this hilarious comic!

Working with gregly was a joy. I've been a fan of his, and working together was even better than I had hoped. We seem to have a similar sense of humor and appreciation for cartoony antics.

Not having enough time! I really wanted to add more details to the backgrounds and characters, but we just didn't have enough time to do it all! It's especially frustrating because I have school and other things that are important, but not important enough to stop me from drawing during class, so I always feel a little bit torn between activities.

I completely intend on working with gregly in the future, so I think that answers the question. What we've already discussed doing differently, actually, is having him do the inking and me adding color. gregly's not a big fan of coloring, and I love it, so that would probably work out better. For this round, though, it was good that I could ink because gregly was on vacation and probably wouldn't have been able to get much done until he got back halfway through the drawing period.

------------------------------------

I'd like to ask a question of my own, if that's all right:
What have you seen other teams do that you'd like to implement in future collaborations?

« Reply #179 on: Feb 26, 2013, 09:15 AM »

Tourney
So many people! ROFLQU for one, but such was not to be.

your cute

Everyone's done a good job this round, no defaults! I hope next round brings the heat even more. All you viewers, get critiquing and congratulating for jobs well done.

« Reply #180 on: Feb 26, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Inception

Coatl and I live near each other, are friends IRL, and our characters are friends (even though we didn't make that too clear in our comic and we probably should have a right proper battle sometime), and we've been waiting to do a Sonny and Ehren team up battle since forever. So, when TTT came round, we jumped on that.

Before TTT actually started, we made a whole list of story ideas for each team. No joke, we wanted to be as ready as possible for each round. Our original overarching story idea was to have Ehren and Sonny bumbling around void, trying to get burgers, and running into trouble at every turn.

We both went back and read a ton of P2 and Arena comics to fully familiarize ourselves with the characters and their powers. Coatl was a bit more familiar with Arena than I was, since Sonny used to be in Arena's gang (Entourage). Coatl even asked felle about how P2 would act, etc.

Unfortunately, that whole "Set and Orphanage" bit of Arena's story confused the heck out of us,  even after we went and read some Agent Koba stories to try and figure out what was going on with that--so we decided to just focus on turning out an action comic that would feature all of our characters equally.

Communication

We used every bit of communication available to us. Aside from online email and facebook, we met at least three times a week and worked on pages and story ideas face to face. If either Coatl and I were going to try something different from what we'd planned, we always brought it up with each other.

No, I think we were pretty in sync, actually!

See above, etc

Workload

Pencils, SFX inking, lettering: Me
Inking, backgrounds, coloring, correction: Coatl

Between the two of us, we came up with the story.

We tried to cover for each other's weaknesses and take on an equal amount of labor between us.

I'm shaky on backgrounds, and Coatl would refer to me for panel layout, so we tried to refer to each other whenever we needed help.

Coatl managed to make backgrounds that less scary for me, and we were both working against his schedule, which was killer. We managed to rock it out as best as we could, though!

Editorial

Nah. We're both fairly chill and we were on the same page for the most part.

both of us had to come to an agreement on everything. Luckily, we always almost did or found a compromise.

Product

Yes, actually. I think we could have pushed ourselves even further with storytelling and made some things clearer/more polished, but our styles mesh almost perfectly together and we pulled off some panels that we've both never drawn before.

See above, and we just gotta try and do more in the future with the time we have!

Tourney

EVERYONE

Hieme and Tin, Knomer and Vision. Those were the main killers we saw right off the bat.

Knowing us, all the dumb jokes +jojo posing IRL +pretending to tell everyone that we were behind and dropping out and fighting with each other to mess with people.

Seeing the finished comic online!

Trying to get in colors and lettering under the deadline. I'm a superfast letterer, but when the deadline ended early, I was pretty mad for all of 2 minutes because I thought I was too late to upload our pages. Luckily, Coatl had already taken care of that.

Push everything more, maybe add about two more pages to make our flashback setup make more sense and our payoff ending less abrupt!

« Reply #181 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:46 PM »
Inception

I've raised Thresher in my basement since he was a hatchling, and recently released him to the wilds of the UK to unleash havoc and mayhem. Since that didn't go so well we decided to do this comic tourney instead.

We've been playing around with the idea of Tabris & Haze being in a relationship for awhile, so this seemed a good opportunity to explore that.

I read past comics and relied on Threseher for alot of it because he knows the characters much better than I do.

Communication

Skype and emails

Our time zones are so far apart he might as well live on Mars, so that makes meeting up to talk a bit more difficult. Fortunately for me, he likes to stay up to unreasonable hours to talk about this stuff.

Pretty much what I said up there.

Workload

Thresher did the story, thumbs/layouts, lettering and a lot of the backgrounds. I drew the rest and colored.

We devised a plan right away to divide things up that went right out the window when we ran out of time.

Thresher is the better story & dialogue maker, and loves doing backgorounds. I like coloring things and drawing people. So it worked out ok.

We totally ran out of time to get stuff done, but worked hard to do the best we could in the little time we had left.

Editorial

Nah. We are both pretty agreeable people.

See above

Product

Well, yes and no. See below.

Life happened and we completely ran out of time and it became a panicky race to finish before the deadline. So I know this comic could have been done so much better. We need to schedule our time a bit better.

Tourney

Everybody! They are all so good a making comics!

Everybody! They are all so good a making comics!

Well there was that picture I did of Tab honking Haze's boob. That never made it into the comic tho.

Actually finishing before the deadline and still managing to keep my sanity.

Time management. Because I am slow and need lots of time to do these things.

If we had the time we originally planned, it would have been in full color, fancy backgrounds and I would have used proper perspective!

« Reply #182 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:43 PM »
REMINDER:!

Please make sure that you vote on ALL the battles, not just the ones with your favourites! There is some difference between the battle votes so just make sure that by the end of the voting period, everyone has more or less the same amount of votes

« Reply #183 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Inception

RoflQu told me that the Tag Team Tournament was going to be a thing, but despite a few jokes I had no idea who I would team up with. Johnny vs. Johnny had been something I'd been wanting to do with Sabu for ages, but I hadn't thought of it in terms of a team before. Then I came into chat once I saw it had been made official on the forums, and told Sabu she was my partner and Team Johnny was happening.

It was entirely dictated by the fact our characters share names. Also Johnny Sweet comes with dinosaurs, that's hella cool.

I did a little bit of research - read a couple of comics and looked at their bios. Our story idea didn't call for a whole lot of backstory though, so we didn't have to do much - Sabu hit onto the fact that we had three sort of 'bad people' and a bounty hunter and that was enough to set things running.

Communication

We both got on Skype and just ripped out a ton of ideas that gradually became a plot. Sabu laid out some thumbnails with some ideas for dialogue, and I would be like 'change this line' or 'maybe this could happen'. The fart, for instance, started as a really stupid offhand joke but became a huge thing that we built everything around. We had a lot of stupid ideas like a 'Choose-Your-Own-Explosion' comic too. Other than that, we'd communicate in Voidchat... Maybe a little bit on Roll20.

Our communication was pretty great, but we've upped the ante for the potential 'next time' with phone numbers. We'll also be seeing each other in a couple of weeks. Constantly bothering each other worked pretty well though.

Skype was the big one. Skype guys, get on it. It's even on your phones now.

Workload

We both did story and scripting. Sabu did pencils, inks and 98% of the lettering, I did the colours.

We bandied around a few ideas of how we would divide things up, but in the end it came down to me saying that I thought that Sabs could draw quicker and better than me, and Sabs liked my colours. So that worked out.

Sabu was going to do some flats for me because I had to take some teenagers camping for a weekend, but ended up running short on time. Luckily I skipped out on camp early, so I was able to do the flats myself. I think we did more learning about weaknesses than we did about fixing them though, we talked a lot at the end about what we would like to do differently now that we know how the two of us work.

Sabu helped me discover the true meaning of Christmas. I also had some struggles getting page 8 done in under time (the last page given to me), and Saburu supported my decision to forgo full colour. She also suggested taking off a lot of shading I had done on some pages that I had done early because it was unlikely that I was going to be able to shade other pages properly (and that came true!)

Editorial

I keep saying that I want really stupid, unrealistic dinosaurs in the comics and I feel that the more I do that, the closer my demise comes. We didn't really have any issues though. Maybe the sudden disappearance of page 9 but we found it quickly enough.

With Sabs doing the lettering and the uploading, she had the final call on all the dialogue and everything, but there weren't any disputes that needed resolving so it wasn't an issue.

Product

Sure. It could be better, but it came out pretty great all the same I think! Still so proud of page 14, that was our first and the best.

I think we worked incredibly well together. We have a similar sense of humour and I felt we were really in sync, especially in the story process. That's really where our strength is at the moment and I feel it covers up for a lot of our downfalls in the visual department. We were both really supportive of each other as well, having someone cheering you on every 5 minutes in that crunch was actually really helpful.

I think next time we both need to manage our time a whole lot better though.

Tourney

I honestly want to fight everyone, but we've got some great ideas for a few pairings... I think the ones against Hiemie & Tin are the most fun so far, though. But I tried to type out a listing of who else I wanted to fight a whole lot and pretty much ended up listing almost everyone in it.

Everyone hahaha. I know I have a habit of getting really excited about battling people who are a lot better than me though, so the excitement always outweighs the fear. I'm in here to learn from others.

Giving each other wrong pages in the last few hours was pretty hilarious. Seriously though, the random chats were great and the whole partnership is a lot of fun. Some choice quotes:

Sabu: I don't know which start I like more
Jet: I like one that involves an explosion for no reason

Sabu: Maybe a small explosion happens in the cafeteria or something?
The opponents have everyone locked in there?
Jet: Yeah and then Patch lights one of the dino's farts. Is that too stupid or just stupid enough?
Sabu: oh my fucking gOD OKAY LETS DO THAT

Jet: This is just a really poorly thought out juvie place
Sabu: We are blowing it up its all good

Sabu: Patch is a closet asexual and not even he knows it

Seeing the comic up on the website and breathing a sigh of relief. Also we're totally awesome buddies now, and that is pretty cool.

Time. It was working against us.

I would be on Sabu's back a bit more in the beginning to ink faster, get more than one page done in a day so I could colour faster. I would probably put more work into a palette and try unify it a bit more. Especially on page 8 hahaha.

And Bobo's: 21. What have you seen other teams do that you'd like to implement in future collaborations?
I love the other team's work, but I think we're onto a good thing. If we Patch it up some more we'll be Sweet.
sugoi

« Reply #184 on: Feb 26, 2013, 09:55 PM »
If we Patch it up some more we'll be Sweet.

You're a freakin poet, man.

Inception

Matchmaking site. We fell in love almost immediatly.

I was very happy to have Casino and Awesome together, because they have some similar familly issues in their plots. The two relate on some levels, and I hope we can get to show that later on.

I refreshed myself on their comics, but I was already rather familiar with them. Mr.Awesome was the one I had to dig the most for, actually.

Communication

We chated and shared pages over skype the whole time.

There was only a limited window of time each day when we were both able to be online, because of time zones and I don't get up before noon. Also, neither of us is totally the best at english so there were a few misunderstandings, but overall it was pretty good.

I loved being able to say "Yeah, I'm super busy because of school and stuff and also I'm collaborating on a comic with a dude in POLAND."

Workload

We both kinda came up with the story; We jugled some ideas around, then I puked up some dialogue with some basic description of action (like " and then THEY FIGHT") and then he drew the pages, adding stuff as he felt, like action and empty bubbles for me to fill, then I colored them pages and added the dialogue in.
So; I did the dialogue and colors, he did the drawings.

I like writting and coloring, he doesn't. I don't care much for sketching and lining, he does. It was very natural.

I think the way we split the work is pretty much that.

Editorial

Not really. When we had something we didn't approve of in the comic, we talked about it and everything was easely resolved.

Product

Yes. I think this is a much better comic than what I could have come up with alone under these circumstances.

Tourney

Everyone is just awesome, but I'd have a soft spot for Video-Kent and Space-Tresh.
-I'm very excited by that May Wu character and I'm in hot love for Mister Kent.
-I always enjoy kicking Greg's ass.

Magi-Shen Red-Salt tin-Hiemie
-Those people may very well be even crazier than I am. I'm never comfortable going crazy-on-crazy.

Seing the first page finished and knowing that hey, this is going to be so rad!

For my part, I'd say the empty bubbles Pawel gave me. Finding dialogue to fit those was a surprising challenge! But kinda fun.

Totally. We might have to if we win this round! I think next time I wont wait half a week before writting the dialogue. We got started a bit late and we paid for it with the blood of our hands.
"I knew when I sighned up for Void years ago, Someday I'm going to prison for this site"  - Mister Kent, words to live by

« Reply #185 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Inception

I didn't have a partner set just yet, though I was hoping to partner with WilliamDuel's Cavallero to try and do some Avant Guardian comics.  However, he dropped out so I ended up on the list of people needing a partner. Video approached me with the prospect of teaming Jules with Ivan, which would be interesting since I'd had some idea of how to connect our characters together even before the tag tournament.  I had hopped onto the Void chat, and it swauger suggested I partner with Julienya since she was looking for a partner.  I was hoping to do something with another AG member, so that's how our partnership was settled.

It doesn't seem like touched to much on the history, though we did relate some jokes in our comic to previous battles.  We had the Avant Guardians as our common ground, but our characters had never interacted with each other before.  We figured, we'd have our characters go to a store together to restock on supplies, diabolos for Ivan and arrows for Nyaasu.  It would be a perfect place to start and we could easily adapt to different tag teams that came our way in this neutral setting.

For myself, I had to re-read some of both Mr. Awesome and Casino Reasoning's stories to re-familiarize myself with the characters and their personalities.

Communication

We first communicated in Void chat, then we took it to Skype which is where all our communication has been.

I feel that our communication was pretty good, though I often forgot that we had a 3 hours difference between the two of us. But I think we communicated very well.

Skype.  We didn't really use any other path of communication.

Workload

We both plotted the story together, we would throw ideas into the mix, like Nyaasu and the mecha suit and rearranged the elements to work.  After we put together the story, I was in charge of doing the thumbnails and I also included notes on what happened in the panels as well as suggestions on what dialogue could be used.  From there, Julienya took my thumbs and used them as the base for the digital inks. While she did the inks, she made the necessary amendments to the script/dialogue.  She works so much faster than I do in digital.
Whenever she finished pages, she'd send them to me, and I did the coloring. Towards the end it was cutting it close and I'm not that fast at coloring, so she took over the coloring for the last two pages of our comic.

We divided the work based on our strengths which were hashed out right away.  She inks digitally much faster than I do, so linework would be completed much quicker so that color could be applied. She also is wonderfully talented at making the best facial expressions on characters. I'm not that confident of my coloring skills but I thought I could do my best to support Julienya with coloring the pages she inked. I did the initial panelling within my thumbnails and left it to Julienya to change them if she saw a better solution.

I would often ask Julienya for her opinion on the colors or backgrounds, asking whether the textures were too strong or colors too bold.

Um, she helped keep me in check when I was applying too strong a texture and gave me advice.

Editorial

I think we had a hard time settling on a conflict for the comic and what the characters would be fighting over.  For the most part we talked to each other about everything and made sure things were okay with each other.

We just discussed it together and chose what we both agreed with.

Product

Yes, I am VERY proud of our work together.  I had a lot of fun and our work is beautiful!

Our work was all sorts of fun, though I only wish I could have done more to help.
Tourney

AnTinWoodsman and Hiemie because I wanted to do AG vs Murphy's Law; Video320 and Mistah Kent because I've wanted to fight them for a while and I think we could have made an awesomely funny match against them.

AnTinWoodsman and Hiemie; Fel and Pyras

Uh, I think all the funny expressions/art Julienya made that of course never made it to the final.

The fact that we finished everything with so much time to spare.

Scripting, working faster.

I wouldn't do anything different, but I do wonder what it would have been like if we had switched it up with me doing inks/pencils and Julienya doing color instead.

« Reply #186 on: Mar 04, 2013, 06:16 AM »
Oh my god..... Round 2 match ups .... I pooped my pants.

« Reply #187 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:35 AM »
So bummed we didn't make it through, but I can't help but be super excited for the match ups this round! Best of luck everyone!

« Reply #188 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:22 PM »
CONFESSION TIME

I didnt want to do TTT and did my best to sabotage it as much as possible after weeks of Tofu insisting that we should do it. Then she actually went to my house witha list of ideas we should do and so I was basically forced into it.

i dont really like ehren that much. like he's cool and all but not as cool as sonny/ but Tofu wanted me to do this and that and this and that. and I was like "FUCK" so while I tried to convince her to change some things the story wrote itself for better or worse.

i didnt really care. I read the Bios. Tofu did the work.

Communication

Tofu would call me up late at night while everyone in my paper-thn-walled house were asleep. And sometimes I'll try to email some well thought out ideas but she kept calling me a little bitch and making fun of me.

It coulda been improved but I guess its too late now...

She kept throwing me spam mail and fcebook spam and she hijacked my tumblr and forced me to post progression pics to "motivate me to work"
Workload

I was forced to do all the work down to drawing in her style. My fingers are all fucked up.

I told tofu I was busy and she said "NO FUCK YOU, STAY UP UNTIL ITS DONE" I dont even know what dreaming feels like anymore.

I kept getting hit with a bamboo sword until the drawings stop looking moderately like shit.
We used speech bubbles and SFX to hide my horrible anatomy.

I tried to sleep with one eye shut and tofu decided to punish my by cutting off one of my toes.

Editorial
I didnt like the story at all and then I was met with a brick to the face.
I lost 2 teeth

Tofu did.
Product

Kinda but since we lost, Tofu is looking for me. I'm somewhere in the middle of some hick town in the south in hiding as of this writing.

Tourney

I wanted to fight someone like Energy and TDK but they never got in.

TL Bot, how can we overcome something that cute?

Getting my pinky chopped off was apparently hilarious to tofu along with me trying to photoshop the blood off our pages.

The hot coffee to the face during our meet ups.

Workign with tofu. I dont recommend it. She's

« Reply #189 on: Mar 05, 2013, 12:03 PM »
NO MY SECRETS HAVE BEEN REVEALED

« Reply #190 on: Mar 17, 2013, 03:13 PM »
FOR PEOPLE UPLOADING TOURNEY PAGES TONIGHT:

IF YOUR COMIC UPLOADS INCORRECTLY OR NOT AT ALL, CONTACT BOBO. I CANNOT UPLOAD YOUR COMIC. bobojo@gmail.com AND COPY ME ON THE EMAIL SO I KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM bdotscotts@gmail.com

I WILL BE POSTING THE COMICS, SO IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE I POST THEM!

PLEASE EMAIL CUSTOM THUMBS TO ME IF YOU HAVE THEM: bdotscotts@gmail.com

CAPSLOCK!!! I hope everything goes smoothly, good luck to all!!

« Reply #191 on: Mar 17, 2013, 03:21 PM »
And remember, Red will be awake pretty damn early, so get those comics in on time!
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #192 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:52 AM »
Everyone hang tight, there are .... let's say... several technical difficulties haha.

Unless you sent me thumbs, everyone is getting pretty basic thumbs, I don't have the time to thumb what is probably close to 100 pages. Yup! Sorry for delays again, the uploader seems to get extra funky with these tag team matches.

« Reply #193 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:24 AM »
We believe in you~

Also by pretty basic thumbs do you mean just the default void no-image thumbs?

« Reply #194 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:27 AM »
We believe in you~

Also by pretty basic thumbs do you mean just the default void no-image thumbs?

Oh, I mean you'll have a thumbnail image, I just duplicated the same image for everyone of the thumbnails. It would have taken me literally hours to do individual ones... everyone had a large page count this time haha.

« Reply #195 on: Mar 20, 2013, 08:15 AM »
Is a new survey template going to be made for this round, by chance?

« Reply #196 on: Mar 20, 2013, 08:30 AM »
Is a new survey template going to be made for this round, by chance?
I was also wondering this, if not I'll fill out the original one... I just didn't have time to do it before.

« Reply #197 on: Mar 20, 2013, 09:33 AM »
I was also wondering this, if not I'll fill out the original one... I just didn't have time to do it before.
I was gonna do it after voting ending, in case my self-defeating attitude worn on of on voters, haha. Then I got caught up in the next round.

« Reply #198 on: Mar 21, 2013, 06:32 PM »
I want the next round to be everybody vs everybody - 4-way battle, la grande finalle. Every team will pop at least 10 pages so it shouldn't be a problem to place 8 characters up there.  Instead of expecting the people that win this round to go against each other I suggest that we do all out right now - we're all exhausted anyway - I'm a bit anyway. Winning such a hard core round would be a real finally to it all, not just making a great story and art, but also flexing that to accommodate 8+ characters.
It should be a freakin' Tag Team Battle Royal Final Round

EDIT - for the 3rd round Ill do new faces
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2013, 07:57 AM by Wolcik »

« Reply #199 on: Mar 23, 2013, 07:03 PM »
I want the next round to be everybody vs everybody - 4-way battle, la grande finalle. Every team will pop at least 10 pages so it shouldn't be a problem to place 8 characters up there.  Instead of expecting the people that win this round to go against each other I suggest that we do all out right now - we're all exhausted anyway - I'm a bit anyway. Winning such a hard core round would be a real finally to it all, not just making a great story and art, but also flexing that to accommodate 8+ characters.
It should be a freakin' Tag Team Battle Royal Final Round

EDIT - for the 3rd round Ill do new faces

Only if we have a month to work on it. Then I would consider it. Who else would like a one month final round everyone fights everyone?
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2013, 07:05 PM by Hiemie »

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

342 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 361.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us