UPCOMING CONTESTS

UPCOMING CONTESTS
« on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:43 PM »
This topic is dedicated to upcoming comic/illustration contests. Every year there are often contests you can submit to. They often cost money, but the moment you get accepted, you're in super great shape.
!
So if you have the money to spare and the time and confidence to submit something, GO FOR IT

Tip:
Know what the hell you're submitting: make sure you got the right theme, and check out past entries to make sure your art would be suitable. If a contest is looking for well rendered images, you probably don't want to send them a black and white vector.

Annual and Quarterly Illustration contests often get thousands of entries, but the 200-400 entries that win are published into giant magazines for art directors. Be wary about it though. Don't overspend for these things if you're not interested.

Comic competitions require a lot of time and willpower, and often only get a handful of winners from thousands of entries they have to read. Winners often get it posted online, and sometimes added in a publication. I've never seen a comic competition that requires payment too. Problem is that the prize money isn't often the greatest in the world.

Either way, post all the drawing contests! Professional, ametuer, comic, student, etc.

Please post:
1)what the contest is called, and site
2)cost, if any
3)due date
4)what theme they are looking for and who is it for (illustration, photo, comic, etc.)

Current contests:

1)Break into comics with Harley Quinn http://www.dccomics.com/node/305151
2)free
3)10:00am PDT on Tuesday, October 1, 2013
4)Artists who want to break into comics.

1) TOP COW TALENT HUNT 2013
2) FREE
3) 1/31/14
4) From the makers of Witchblade and The Darkness, they want to see you work with past versions of their characters (FYI the Witchblade, Darkness, etc. are items passed thru history, with different wielders) Either DRAW a comic based on one of their sample scripts or WRITE a script for a 22-page comic.

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2013, 09:53 AM by pineapple pocky »
just browsing here and there

Re: UPCOMING CONTESTS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2013, 06:44 PM »

« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:37 PM »

« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:30 PM »
I support this thread, with my well toned shoulders.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:37 PM »
Tomb Raider DA contest

6k and a 360 and other stuff up for grabs. Did I mention 6k? YEAH. I don't really like Tomb Raider and I'm gonna totally do this.

« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:11 AM »
Something I forgot about, WeLoveFine also has multiple contests so there might be one out there for people who don't like flights and tights.  So while right now only the xmen one seems worthwhile, you can see here that they've had multiple contests of a wide variety and will continue to do so (Adventure time, cats, power rangers, etc.)
http://www.welovefine.com/contest

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2013, 01:01 PM »
I know how much you all love Rob Liefeld so here's a chance to work with the master himself.  Rob's having a contest see?  A contest for writers mostly.  If you win, he'll draw your story.  Reinventing characters has worked so far for the man.  I mean hey it's worked for Brandon Graham on Prophet and Joe Keatinge and Ross Campbell on Glory so it can work for you (if you've got EXTREME talent, anyways). 

Go here for details:
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/02/22/rob-liefeld-extreme-contest/
Click on the source link for the original site where the contest is held.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2013, 01:15 PM »
It has always been every comic fan's dream in the history of ever to have such a talented master of comics to draw their own creation. People should be fighting each other for the chance to have Liefeld draw their female characters without internal organs while wearing 500 leather pouches.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2013, 01:16 PM »
I'm going to add that if you probably have the character's feet cut off in a tragic accident and the character just floats on stumps, you'll be a shoe-in.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2013, 02:41 PM »
Here are some websites with competitions in the UK. (People outside the UK will have to check to see if you can submit, I'm sure you will be able to with some of them).

I don't know the details for all of them, but everything should be made clear on each website.

Young Creative Network (YCN) Student Awards
www.ycn.org/awards/ycn-student-awards/2012-2013/briefs
Entry Deadline: Thursday 14th March 2013 at 6pm

This one is full of competitions set by companies, such as Bacardi, LEGO and Yahoo. Exciting stuff.

Design & Art Direction (D&AD) Student Awards
www.dandad.org/awards/student/2013
Students should register to access briefs.
Entry Deadline: 20th March 2013 at 5pm

These ones are very advertisement based. Things for channels such as the BBC and channel 4 aswell as things like designing cycle wear for Oakley.

RSA Projects Student Design Awards
www.thersa.org/sda
Registration and fee deadline: 22nd March 2013
Registration fee: £35
Submission: 22nd March 2013

Note the £35 submission fee. This is more social stuff like improving daily commutes through design.

Macmillan Children’s Book prize 2013
www.panmacmillan.com/macmillanprize
Submission: Monday 29th April – Thursday 2nd May 2013.

I'm doing the Children's Book one. Its fun! Basically design a 32 page children's book and finish four double spreads for it.

I think pretty much all the competitions have prizes. Have a look. :)

Also... this...

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2013, 02:54 PM by JoeNeary »

« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2013, 08:53 PM »
1)the "Evolution of Abe Sapien" art contest
http://multiversitycomics.com/contests/announcing-the-evolution-of-abe-sapien-art-contest/
2)free
3)March 31, 2013
4)fans of the Mignolaverse, aspiring artists, no established artists allowed

"There are no rules for what you create. Creativity is encouraged, both in what you depict Abe as and what art medium you use."
"The prizes for the winner include:
- All six of the Hellboy Library Editions for yourself and for your comic retailer of choice (1 set each)
- Your piece will be featured in an upcoming issue of “Abe Sapien” (multiple pieces will be featured)"
"All pieces must be submitted to Multiversity at AbeSapien@multiversitycomics.com by 5 PM, Eastern Standard Time on March 31, 2013, along with your name, location and your retail store of choice."

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2013, 07:04 PM »
http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2013/solarmax/contest.php

1.Solar Max Anime Contest sponsored by NASA
2. free
3. 2/18/13 - 3/20/13
4. Nasa wants your anime.  Design them an anime superhero to hang out with their Solar Max mascot. 
"Please provide as much metadata with the image as you are comfortable providing:
Your name
The name of your character with a 1-2 sentence description of your character's super hero power(s). (Your super power(s) must be related to some aspect of space weather (i.e. solar flares, solar storms, magnetism, magnetic fields, sunspots, solar wind, the solar cycle, aurora, etc.)
Your affiliation (e.g. school, community group, etc...).
Any other interesting details about your artwork."

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2013, 09:57 AM »
some site I found with multiple competitions: http://www.talentcall.com/
small prizes, and completely free.

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2013, 10:37 PM »
some site I found with multiple competitions: http://www.talentcall.com/
small prizes, and completely free.

Err, while these kinds of sites seem appealing at first (there's a few of them) they are really just a way for people to get around paying someone what the deserve for an illustration or logo. Think about it... why commission someone for a logo or illustration which should cost you hundreds of dollars, people go to these sites and go "oh hey it's a contest and you could win a prize!!" But really, you're giving them one of like FIFTEEN or so completely done options to choose from for a measly $100. ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR 15+ OPTIONS THATS INSANE. And they are just going to use it for their shitty small business. If you have a desire to be paid for you illustration or design work, please make sure you get paid what you deserve for your skills. If someone wanted to pay me $100 for a logo I would laugh pretty hard.

Contests like Moose Kid (see below) are cool because that's a totally unique opportunity, and he's truly seeking talent, not cheap labor. Sorry for the rant, I just really hate those sites!! BAH!

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2013, 12:36 AM »
naw you have a point there. However, when you jump right out of college you still got to start somewhere. As long as it's not free and not just something like twenty bucks, it's still worth a try. But you're completely right. I wish one of those commissions walked in front of my face too, but they have never. Then again, at comic conventions people do commissions of drawings for twenty bucks too.

the stuggle of illustrators: do work for cheap, or wait for a big one to come? Just don't do it for free.

Also, can you send the link to the moose kid thing? I think you forgot to put it on your post here.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2013, 07:25 AM »
Oh, Joe Neary posted it a few posts ago!

« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2013, 09:57 AM »
1)Break into comics with Harley Quinn http://www.dccomics.com/node/305151
2)free
3)10:00am PDT on Tuesday, October 1, 2013
4)Artists who want to break into comics.

"draw one page of HARLEY QUINN #0 alongside some of comic’s most amazing talents, including Amanda Conner, Paul Pope, Bruce Timm, and a few other"
"Submissions can be Pencils, Pencils & inks or Pencils, inks & colors. Please keep in mind, the level of your work should be of professional-quality, so don't feel the need to ink or color your work if you're only confident in penciling."
"This promotion is an open talent search pursuant to which DC is seeking new artists to work on DC publications.  This promotion is NOT a sweepstakes or a contest in which one or more winners will be selected.  DC makes no guarantees or representations whatsoever that DC will reproduce, display or use any of the Artwork submitted to DC or that DC will extend to any submitters of any Artwork hereunder an engagement to any render services for DC as a freelance artist."

« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2013, 12:17 PM »
Ah, nice catch! I'm entering that. Also, this one, for artists or writers (I'm entering as a writer):

1) TOP COW TALENT HUNT 2013
2) FREE
3) 1/31/14
4) From the makers of Witchblade and The Darkness, they want to see you work with past versions of their characters (FYI the Witchblade, Darkness, etc. are items passed thru history, with different wielders) Either DRAW a comic based on one of their sample scripts or WRITE a script for a 22-page comic.

FOUR unpublished artists and FOUR unpublished writers will be chosen to work on some cool project in the end (the rules clarify what they consider published/unpublished). Some spots reserved for female creators, to encourage the presence of women in comics.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2013, 12:27 PM by K E N T ^o^ »

« Reply #18 on: Sep 07, 2013, 06:03 PM »
omg i forgot i even made this thing. I'll update it eventually.......

« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Send in your pictures of spiderman to the DC comics contest.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

418 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 452.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us