Marcus

Marcus
« on: Dec 26, 2012, 01:50 PM »
LET'S DO THIS

Ok so I did like 5 iterations of this character before coming to this. This started off as a bit of a joke, but then people started seriously telling me to do it, so here we are: Every comic will be sprited from scratch. Everything written after this sentence is due to change without notice (i.e. It's still a WIP). The character himself is a bit of a mess right now, so critique is greatly appreciated:

This dragon boy is the embodiment of "The World" card. He is fundamentally connected to the world around him in strange and often incomprehensible ways. This attachment causes him to seek out supernatural/mythological occurences and attempt to resolve them. The method for resolving these is different for each one; for instance, a supernatural beast might require him to kill or subdue it, while will-o-the-wisp would be absorbed or the like. This is more of a reflex than a conscious effort, however, and serves more as a unique storytelling mechanic than any set in stone rules about it.

Abilities:
"The World" Connection ability
Super durable body (Incredibly difficult to break bones, scaled parts of his body (arms, legs) are practically impenetrable, although scales can be broken off)
About twice the strength of an average adult human
Potential for shapeshifting, but incapable of it at the time being

Personality:
This half dragon, half human hybrid is a mischevious little scamp. He loves to play pranks on unsuspecting people, using his great claws to escape by climbing or skittering away before people can catch him. However, he can be quite brooding and serious when his "World" reflex kicks in, making him rather unpredictable. Normally, he adores attention, whether it be good or bad. He's also an incredible foody, to such an extent that he can be easily tricked with a delicacy as a bait.

Background:
He took to living in the Void clocktowers, where he could look out over the city and find all new things to explore and new people to trick. It also offers a great vantage point for his "World" connection. He is rather lonely, and enjoys his time simply eating, pranking, or hunting down strange things to resolve. His past is a mystery, as he hasn't met anyone to tell his story to!

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2013, 08:28 AM by Base »

Re: "The World" Dragon Boy
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2012, 01:58 PM »
I like how he looks like a young boy pretending to be a hero (red blanket pinned around his shoulders like a cape). I feel like the body might better balanced if the forearms weren't so oversized. Maybe still as elongated, but not as big. That's just my opinion, though.

OTHER THAN THAT, I'm itching to see some pages. Get drawing!
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:48 PM »
I like the overall design and the oversize arms. Is the sprite itself going to be further shaded than this, or will it be flat colors?

I also think you could work on emphasizing the arm of his that's pulled back, since the bend in his arm/pull back of his shoulder isn't quite so clear.

Maybe draw the elbow so it's visible more? This kid's forearms are exaggerated enough that you could probably pull his arm back more. 

« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:53 PM »
Good idea on the arm Tofu. And yeah, I'll be shading both the big drawing and the sprite, but I wanted to get some crits before I moved forward.

I wanted to incorporate some sort of Ouroboros motif but I didn't want to force it. Any ideas on how to get that in there?

Marcus
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2013, 08:28 AM »
Ok figured I'd post this up and get crits on his bio and stuff while I do the pages.

This guy is for the min scar tourney, and also I was thinking he'd be for SCAR MATCHES ONLY. This is a motivator to keep me working and updating stuff regularly.

On to his bio:

The concept is a basis on the duality of reality and imagination. Tapping into his imagination allows him to manifest it in any way possible, but is like a blight and taints his body the more he uses it. It recedes over time of not using it. If he were to ever become fully blighted he’d become ‘one’ with the fake version of himself.

The fake version of himself killed his lover one night, leaving the real version distraught and furious. Since then, the fake version has swept the countryside with horrific crimes and travesties, causing the real version to flee from police, bounty hunters, and avengers.

If he wishes to clear his name and get revenge, he must find and destroy the fake version before he gets killed himself.

He’s a total asshole, though, hardened by years of traveling and fighting. In a straight normal fistfight, he’ll usually come out on top just from experience; however, anyone with powers or high fighting skills will wipe the floor with him, unless he resorts to his powers. His powers can manifest in any way imaginable, but are restricted by his need to ‘stay human’.

To make matters worse, the fake version is absolutely indistinguishable from him to anyone who is not perceptively inclined. This means unless they have some power that allows them to, they cannot tell the two apart.

Any damage he takes is also done to to clone. The only exception is any damage the real version and the fake version deal to each other-- this includes indirect damage, such as area hazards (If a building falls on one because one threw it at the other, the first won't take damage from it).

Tell me what you guys think so far. Pages will be posted as I complete them.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2013, 08:33 AM by Base »

Re: Marcus
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Annnnnd page 1 is done (aside from text)

May do some shading/coloring if I have time. Need all 3 pages done by sunday to make the tournament so....

EDIT!** Redrawing this page because it looks bad.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2013, 07:11 PM by Base »

Re: Marcus
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2013, 01:40 PM »
He's got a manic vibe that I like --like if they ever made an anime of Eraserhead.

Also, did he make that clone to help him work his zipper? Because that thing is huge ;D It's so absurd I think I like it.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

181 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 236.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us