Silly Kingdom

Silly Kingdom
« on: Jul 12, 2012, 12:53 PM »

"It's the Kingdom Wizard's 211th Birthday, and he'll do EVERYTHING in his power to stop the party, in this fantasy-comedy suitable for all readers."

STATS: Self published, 38 pages black and white interior with a colour cover,
Bonus content: Character sketchbook, Drawing-a-page tutorial, Making-Of Comic
Fantasy & Humor
All ages

"Silly Kingdom features some of the best and most expressive cartooning I have seen in years, and the charming story is both sweet and hilarious. The Shanahans are simply brilliant!"
-Kazu Kibuishi ("Amulet", "Flight", "Copper")

"I WANT THIS ON MY SHELF. Adorable, pitch-perfect art from Katie and a hilarious story from Shaggy—I could read this every day!!"
-Svetlana Chmakova ("Nightschool", "Dramacon")

I love, LOVE this artist. Katie and her writer bro Steven Shanahan are really a mixture of comedic genius. The great thing is, they really play up their 'comic friend from next door' angle really well. They feel accessible and chronicled their journey towards making this comic and eagerly share it with their followers

When I heard about them self publishing this comic via indie gogo I was really dubious. A fantasy comic with an old wizard? Yawn!

Yet they really turned me around once I opened up the comic. It's lighthearted, funny and doesn't take itself as seriously as most fantasy epics do. The expressions alone are a personal inspiration for my own work and really push the envelope on how a face can be manipulated. At the end there's also lovely goodies like character design mock ups, background set up and more. Nice 30-odd pages of fun.

If I had to make a complaint it would be that Silly Kingdom isn't exactly a comic that's incredibly deep or penetrating- then again why would it be? With a name like 'Silly Kingdom' I think any reader knows what they're getting into.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

296 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us