Sirius' Atmo-Fantasy Art

Sirius' Atmo-Fantasy Art
« on: Jun 23, 2012, 11:11 AM »
I felt a new topic was necessary.  My old one is like five years old or something of that nature.  Anyhow, I've been growing as an artist and have found out a lot about what I love in nature and what inspires me.  I am currently creating a portfolio and am attending art classes again in the fall of this year; my goal is to get a tattoo apprenticeship.

Anyhow, here's some new works:

Tattoo designs:

Critiques are great appreciated.  I'd also request links to comic artists who focus on atmosphere, world-building, and slow pacing to immerse the reader.  That is what I'm trying to do with my long-term comic project, Tainted Eden.  I have tons of ideas and influences now, but I want more ideas and refs for how a comic focusing in on the nature/bgs/immersion of the medium.

Re: Sirius' Atmo-Fantasy Art
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2012, 08:25 AM »

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2012, 11:34 AM »
Pi is always in my topics with the best advice.  Everytime. :D

Thanks, man.  I heard of Rice Boy, but never really started reading it.  Checking it out now, looks like exactly what I meant.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Comic art coming soonnn...

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2012, 02:18 PM »
I'm really liking your stuff and I think you use colour really well colour choice wise, now I just think you need to tighten it up a bit and make it less scruffy. I think you've got great potential and I'd be really interested in keeping up to date with this long comic you mention.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2012, 11:23 AM »

Need crits on the newest ones.  Thanks for the comments, joeNeary.  I do rush coloring at times and have been learning more self-control in that respect. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2012, 11:31 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Been doing well in my tattoo apprenticeship, haven't had much time for other art...So mostly pinups and stuff.  I'll do sequentials eventually (HOPEFULLY)!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2013, 06:25 AM »
Dude, you need to draw some damn comics! I always see these pin-ups of characters and it seems like you're got this whole big story going, and every time you post something I'm hoping it's a comic haha!! You should submit Lotus as a character :B

Anyways, love the markers... I think you're missing a darker color for some intense shadows. You're using this light blue or light grey marker for shadows, which looks nice on the skin, but overall it makes things look a bit flat. Adding in a better shadow will give everything a lot more dimension. I wish I had my markers in front of me to recommend a specific color ... but maybe a darker blue, or tan color? I dunno, experiment and see what happens.

You do this in some parts, like in the last picture, her right shoulder has some nice dark shadows, but then that's the only place it appears.Your colors are all nicely blended, so you just need some harder shadows in there too.

But yeah, your characters and weird and cool, just needs moar comic >:I

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Click to make 'em bigger.  Got a comic page done, finally!!  Working on more. :D

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:37 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 01:14 PM »
very cool stuff
I'm not always lazy... sometimes I'm procrastinating.
http://scruffyscribbler.deviantart.com

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2013, 12:32 PM »
Nightmares:

Commission:

Pin-up:

« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2013, 12:21 PM »

AHHHhhhh I didn't notice the back of his head at first o____o

« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2013, 02:03 PM »
1. Brandon Graham

Multiple Warheads
    King City

2. B.K. Vaughn/ F. Staples
    Saga

and of course

3. Moebius

now for some advice....your need to focus on your lines MORE....there has been improvment and i can see you are paying more attention but it isn't enough..you are trying to copy an effect without understanding why or how to do it...and your lines are awkward and often coming up boring or disruptive

first thing first..put your markers and pens away for a little while..go out to an art supply store and buy a cheap pot of ink and a nice thin round brush and the cheapest pen + nib set you can find(if you don't already have these items) and start drawing/inking with them....try to stick with using one or the other exclusively for a long while(although you will always want to use a fatter brush for filling in fields of black).....really play with them and learn the effects you can muster....then after a few months try drawing with both and combining them in a single image....and then start messing around with different brush and nib widths and tips
then you can try brushpens and then you can go back to your pens and your markers

this will help you develop your lines and will hopefully help you better understand the effect you are trying to fabricate with your pens and markers
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2013, 02:09 PM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Thanks for the crits, Wei.  I'll be sure to invest in those items asap.  Been broke because of college recently, but I should have some money soon.  It sounds interesting to me.

4 comic pages I did recently:

« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Hey! I dig how all your story & setting seems to be completely well thought out, It's got a certain feeling of earnestness (earnesty?? words = hard). Your sense of pacing and narrative is good.

I think you could really push it to the next level if you study a bit more on how figures sit in a space - often it seems like your characters are floating in space rather than being grounded - for example you have two characters on the same plane of distance and facing similar angles at the front of an image with only 1 other plane of depth - see page 3 and page 4-panel 1. They are flattened out compared to your other panels. This can usually be fixed by changing up the angles. Try taking note of how people are positioned next time you watch tv - make sketches! It will help. :)

« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2013, 07:11 PM »

Not a fan of the last page.  It feels too empty to me.  Can anyone critique that one especially?
BTW, thanks Ransom your crits were awesome I agree about your observations and will definitely keep your words in mind going forward.  I hate leaving big panels open and empty unless it has some meaning and/or reason for it.  So I'm trying to fill my panels but not 'overfill' them with unnecessary details that will hurt the flow or readability.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2013, 07:13 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2013, 10:06 PM »
I actually think that a lot of the last page is working.  I like how the use of black is drawing the eye through the page. 

I think that what is causing the empty feeling is the pure white backgrounds on the second and third panel so something as simple as a tone or some texture from the walls would help.  It would be kinda cool if the tone was used to pull the eye to the black by toning the whole thing but keeping it gradually getting darker.

It would kinda break the perspective but I was thinking that maybe using the picture hanging on the wall from the first panel in the second to frame the figure might also work.

« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:13 PM »

More comic pages coming soon.  College ending for the semester=More time for comix action. :D

« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:23 PM »
Looks like your perspective has improved a lot in those comic pages! Your poses still need a little work. In that last image I think it would have been better for the guy to be hunched over a little more to really push the pose.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2014, 07:30 PM »
COMIX!

Pinups: 

Angie:  Thanks for the crits.  I'm definitely trying to push my poses further than they are now.   I don't want stiff figures anymore and am making effort to improve them.  Tryin' to be looser among other things!

Wade:  Thanks for the ideas, I'll keep them in mind for future pages.

Now I want to push my colors a bit more and so far I've figured out that I need to stop using the flat ended copics and start getting more brush tipped ones.  So far I've amassed quite a few brush tips but for some colors I'm stuck with flats and it really shows.  Any tips besides using brush tips to improve my colors?  Thanks. :D

« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:57 AM »

Still working on scheduling my self better so I can pump out pages quicker without a dip in quality.  I script the whole ch but edit alot of it in the midst of drawing as well as finalizing things.  I should probably start penciling more than one page and then inking the pages all in one go rather than focus all my efforts on one page at a time.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2014, 07:56 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 11:06 AM »

I had this page (I am redoing my entire ch 1 because  I didn't save the files large enough for any other use than posting on websites (Fixed this problem now) with tones, but I removed them for now. I want want opinions on what would look good on my style for tones.  Should I be minimalistic like I'm doing now, or should I try and add a lot of tones to my lineart to make it pop more?

« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2015, 03:34 PM »
Hello Void!  It's been a long, long time.  Just wanted to post the comic I'm currently working on.  This is the first chapter of Tainted Eden.

« Reply #23 on: Sep 02, 2015, 12:55 PM »
Just wanted to post current/newer works!!  Please leave a comment/critique if you can. :)

FANART:

COMIX:

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2015, 12:57 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #24 on: Sep 02, 2015, 01:32 PM »
I've been seeing your work on tumblr. It's been looking great lately!

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

251 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 430.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us