Need Help with comics/deadlines/colors/etc? Come to ANGIE BOOTCAMP

It was grate, I do highly recommend signing up :)

The_BenT_One got fired, so if you're still interested in doing this Monday let me know. Otherwise I'm open for another person.
Kittens wearins mittens

I'm not ready quite yet (still getting the new laptop set up) but sign me up please, for after Monday :)

Added to the list!
Kittens wearins mittens

The_BenT_One got fired, so if you're still interested in doing this Monday let me know. Otherwise I'm open for another person.

Life got in the way (as it is wont to do). No other excuse.

The comic is still going on schedule, and will be up only one day after the original deadline.

Thanks for all the help, angie!
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

I missed my self-set deadline for my Beyond Battle for Trix a while back, and I feel that it is completely unacceptable (which is partially why I haven't done a battle in so long). Now that I've completed my fight with Kars, I think I want to sign up for this and try to get the BB done.

Pitch: Trix goes adventuring in the underbelly of the city to find a ghost that's been calling out to her. She gets attacked by a monster along the way, and must prove her worth before the ghost will agree to help her.

Probably looking at a 5-6 week long deadline, maybe about 8 pages depending on how I decide on the finalized script. Just tell me when you're ready to start (I know you've got a line already).

Thanks!

Added to the list!
Kittens wearins mittens

Okay since Monday is in the SDT and Kent is currently battling, are you ready to go Base? That's unless Kent wants to do this at the same time as his battle.
Kittens wearins mittens

It's okay--Base can go ahead if he wants :)

Alright then, if you are ready to go Base, let me know!
Kittens wearins mittens

Right this moment might not be the best time for me to start it-- I was expecting to have some more time while the other two went. I'm starting classes and moving in a week so my time is stretched thin already. If you need me to start now I think I could, but I don't know how good the quality would be that way (i.e. I'd have to rush it in all likelihood).

If Kent wants to go, it'd probably work better for me. Thanks :D

I'll take the slot then.

Project: Current BB in prog. Total Project Due: 10/02/11

X3

Sure thing, email me any details or other things you want me to look over
Kittens wearins mittens

i'll have a nice info pack in your inbox tonight, boss
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 06:05 PM by Slade13 »

Slade is fired, so I'm ready for the next person
Kittens wearins mittens

No excuses from me. Shot myself in the foot. Still, thank you for your help, Angie. This is the most I've worked on a comic in a loooooooong time. It feels good. The bb is still coming. XD

haha fired
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

Mister Kent is now in progress.
Kittens wearins mittens

And because it's been asked before, added some information about going again in the first post.
Kittens wearins mittens

Oh wow, this is indeed a great idea. Lord knows that I was pretty decent meeting deadlines and making battles when I had no life, but now with an all day job, I've literally come to a standstill when it comes to comic making. I'm not sure if I want to commit to this now (as I'm not 100% sure I could make it and I WANT to make it, so bad!), but I'd love to pick your brain on how you manage YOUR time and make space for the epic work you do.

Well if you ever want to sign up, go for it!

Pretty much the way I work is a goal and reward system.  I try to make an overall goal for the week and will break down how much I need to do a day. (for instance, you're doing a Void battle and have 7 days and want to do a 20 page comic, you need 3 pages a day to do it) Obviously I have to take in account how much I can do on a day I have to go to the day job, so I always make it something realistic. You don't want to make impossible goals as your daily goals as that'll just discourage you when you can't meet it.

As for the reward system, this is how I break it down

If I want to do something fun, I have to accomplish my goal for the day before I can do it.

So for instance, on a day I have to go to my day job I normally shoot for getting 1-2 pages colored depending on the length of my shift and when it takes place, I normally do all color work after my shift. I'm not allowed to play videogames/watch tv/read stuff/etc. until after I have colored what I need to for the day. If my shift wasn't 2-10 on a Saturday, I will most likely try to squeeze in drawing a BB page.

On a day off from my day job, I usually set my goal as 3-4 pages for my color work and 1-2 comic pages drawn. But in the case of my comic pages, getting to draw my pages is my reward for getting those color work pages done. By making getting to draw my reward, it makes me look forward to drawing the pages and makes it even more fun.

It can definitely be tough, especially on days I have a very long shift at my day job so coming home and doing more work can be hard. But it's always worth it. Really the big key things you need for this are dedication, self control, and focus.

For bootcamp I don't expect people to straight up work this way, as a lot of people aren't going to be used to/be able to handle the idea of work work and more work before play. This is what I've done since freshmen year in high school so it's what I know as I've grown up doing it, but I know that most people are going to be different.

From what I've seen on Void, people aren't necessarily having time management problems (well in some cases, that's a problem) it's just that a lot of people have issues with setting unrealistic goals/trying to do things that are impossible for them. I'll see people planning giant epic comics even though they've never finished anything.

It's fine to plan big exciting comics, but set those big exciting comics as your goal for down the line. If you can't do 3 finished comic pages, you're not going to suddenly become awesome and crank out 30 pages in a week. But it's something that can definitely happen down the line. Know your limits, but keep in mind you can gradually increase those limits. Do a complete 3 pages comic this time, next time shoot for 4 pages, then 5 on the next battle, and so on. If you can't surpass 5 pages, keep working on it until you can.

Another enemy of Voiders is over planning.

No wait, this is a serious business issue so

is more appropriate.

It's fine to set a cool story as your goal down the line, but if you just got into Void or have never managed to finish a comic on the site, don't even think about a big lengthy back story for your character. Remember, no one cares about your character, who they are, where they've been, etc. until you make us like them through your comics, and I'm not going to like them if all I've seen from you are sketches and excuse pages. If you're the type that wants to do a big storyline for them, don't even start planning things until you know you can do it. Getting to do something exciting story wise for them can be a nice goal to work towards, so I definitely recommend not allowing yourself to overthink things until you'll be able to do it.

Kittens wearins mittens

Another enemy of Voiders is over planning.
Thanks for that.  I find that to be really true for myself.  In fact, a large part of why I decided to join Void is to get myself over my tendency to over-plan and over-think, and just draw some freakin' comics.

Glad to help! People are free to plan and do big stories and stuff, it can definitely be done successfully. But it has to stop if it hinders you from doing anything or finishing anything. That and new people should really get a feel for the site and hit the ground running before they decide if doing something that will require a lot of planning is right for them.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2011, 11:08 AM by angieness »
Kittens wearins mittens

Hey, I'm pretty much all set up after my move finally, so I'm ready to begin whenever you are. (If you need to get my attention, you can always bug me on AIM at alternabase)

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

442 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 504.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us