tell me your artstyle influences

Re: tell me your artstyle influences
« Reply #25 on: Jun 10, 2011, 07:00 PM »
some of the images are broken link guys, if you want to fix it use http://imgur.com to upload things rather than directlinking from other sites if you could!!
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #26 on: Jun 11, 2011, 03:34 AM »
awesome,tons of new artists to follow,im glad johny and Iketeruguy contributed !

« Reply #27 on: Jun 11, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Damn, so many of you guys already stated my influences!
In terms of composition and colors: Alessandro Barbucci and Barbara Canepa. ( Sky Doll, W.I.T.C.H )
Inks and tones: Naoki Urasawa ( Pluto, 20th Century Boys )
As for others that haven't been mentioned yet...

Kenichi Sonoda of Gunsmith Cats and Bubble Gum Crisis fame. His character designs were basic yet full of energy and were the main inspirations for some of my own.

The late Tove Jansson's Moomin comic strips.  She had a very unconventional style of art, along with a very warm sense of storytelling.

Lastly, Hieronymus Bosch. Because that man knows how to party.

« Reply #28 on: Jun 11, 2011, 10:50 PM »
Oh, as far as non comic sources....

Psychonauts

Triplets of Belleville

Jet Grind Radio (and Jet Set Radio Future)

And OF COURSE Bob Ross

« Reply #29 on: Jun 12, 2011, 02:10 AM »
I never commented on others influences before but alot of you guys have AWESOME tastes and I've found a few new artists to look up like that Asano Isio.

And while I'm here I might as well mention my non-comic influences!

Robert Mcginnis.  He influenced so many of the lifestyle and poster artists of the 70's and beyond.  Love what he can do with just some characters and a prop.

Takeshi Koike.  Probably my favorite animator ever.  Such crazy and imaginative movement plus neat choices of angles.  Once you recognize his work you can spot his scenes from a mile away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OuRajFzMYI

Rockin Jelly Bean.

Robert Valley.  Awesome animator though he also influences me with his kickass comics with great storytelling.

Ana Hurtado-Gonzalez.

« Reply #30 on: Jun 12, 2011, 10:28 AM »
Perhaps it's lazy or cheating, but here's the Influence Map I did several months ago. I still feel it holds true.

From top to bottom:

Samurai Jack- I could easily include Dexter's Lab and most anything else Tartakovsky has touched, but Jack always holds a special place in my heart for opening my eyes to a different style of pacing and art. I love quiet moments in my stories, and it's at least partly due to this show. Jack could be walking through a gloomy forest (beautifully painted by Scott Wills), with no sound other than the howling wind, and to me it was the most fascinating thing ever. It's probably also important to note that Tartakovsky's geometric style influenced my art, as well as thousands of other cartoons.

Gustav Klimt- I've been interested in patterns and textures in my pictures, though I backed away from them for a while partly to give my hands a break. I've been looking at more of Klimt's work, and I feel like there's something in it that I want to steal. I love the way he can suggest shapes with random patterns and mix realistic figures with pure style.

Maurice Sendak- I could put down a bunch of other children's authors (Dr. Seuss and Tomie de Paola almost made it on here), but Sendak's work was definitely the most influential on me. I remember reading Where the Wild Things Are over and over again as a youngster. When the movie came out last year, I rushed to the nearest Borders to buy a copy of my own, and I was astounded at how stunningly original and lush the illustrations are. I did tons of hatching in my drawings as a kid, and I'm certain it's because of this book.

FLCL- one of my first anime shows, and boy did it change my life. I'd already been exposed to the likes of Pokemon and Sailor Moon, but the show's valiant absurdity and rockin' soundtrack warped my brain beyond recognition.

Discworld- A fantastic book series written by the snappy Terry Pratchett. I loved how he could tell a million stories in the same world without ever feeling forced. Small Gods changed the way I thought about religion.

Calvin and Hobbes- I grew up with giant collections of this series as a kid, and it always reminds me of the better parts of childhood. Bill Watterson's nature scenes are some of the most inviting I've ever seen in art, and certainly impressed themselves on me at an early age. I feel like I appreciate nature more because of Calvin.

Pokemon- More specifically, the manga. I fell in love with the videogame, but it was the manga that really stole my heart. I was entranced by this vision of another world. I dreamed of one day setting out on my own world-spanning journey, a desire that I hope to recreate in my own comics.

Mark Kistler- This guy's goofy giant books helped me learn how to draw as a kid, and for that I have to put him on my list of influences.

Maus- one of the first 'serious' comics I read as a kid. The book was lying on a shelf in the back of my Hebrew school classroom. The rabbi urged me to borrow and read it for myself. My little third-grader mind was subsequently blown away. You could make a comic about the Holocaust? If you could do that, I realized, you could make a comic about ANYTHING.

One Piece- I have nothing but love and respect for Eiichiro Oda. His art hosts some of the most unique character designs I've ever seen in a comic, and despite the melodramatic comedy and violence, he still makes you care deeply for his cast. The fact that his comic is now one of the longest-running series ever is no small feat, and he deserves every bit of praise for his work.

Disney- I used Aladdin for this, but I could probably put down every single one of their movies. I watched them all obsessively as a kid, learning every single musical number and sometimes memorizing the whole script by heart. It's hard to say exactly how it influenced me, other than to say, "It's frigging Disney."

Mary Blair- Her style was synonymous with Disney back in the day, and it's easy to see why. Her color palettes are brilliant (in every sense of the word), and her stylized shapes were certainly an influence on a generation of artists, myself included.

Hey Arnold!- If I had to pick one Nicktoon, it'd have to be this one. I loved all of the characters on this show, and the slightly over-the-top city seemed like such a fun place to live. Looking back, I'm impressed with how diverse the cast is without delving into what I like to call Captain Planet Syndrome. The fact that Arnold lived in a boarding house allowed for the creators to have immigrants from all around the world, but more to the point, the characters were more than their nationality. They had individual, genuine personalities, which made them feel more 'real' than any other cartoon show I've seen.

« Reply #31 on: Jul 08, 2011, 01:23 PM »
A lot of my influences have already been shown, But I'll list mine anyway:

CALVIN AND HOBBES

JAMIE HEWLETT

CHARLIE SCHULZ

JEFF SMITH'S BONE

SPIDERWICK

BRYAN LEE O'MALLEY (scott pilgrim and Lost at Sea)

« Reply #32 on: Jul 12, 2011, 04:36 PM »

Jeffrey 'CHAMBA' Cruz

chris bachalo

ERIC CANETE

Matt Herms

« Reply #33 on: Jul 12, 2011, 06:30 PM »
ahaha, chamba needs to get his butt back over here.

« Reply #34 on: Jul 12, 2011, 10:27 PM »
ahaha, chamba needs to get his butt back over here.
hey should. he's actually how I discovered VOID. Through his character Syke.

« Reply #35 on: Jul 24, 2013, 05:16 PM »
MEGA BUMP.
it's blue like megaman geddit

I just wanted to bring this back from the dead! We got a lot of new members, also influences change!

Here was my old list from Tumblr

From about a year ago! I should really update it with some of the people who have recently been inspiring me sometime, but the list is still largely the same as it was then.

What artists inspire you guys nowadays?

« Reply #36 on: Jul 24, 2013, 05:42 PM »
Hirohiko Araki

Otomo

Moebius

Oh! Great

Mike Mignola

Toulouse Lautrec

Ralph Steadman

Jamie Hewlett

Nightow

« Reply #37 on: Jul 24, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Brandon Graham

Hirohiko Araki

Alessandro Barbucci

Massilmiliano Frezatto

Kaori Ozaki

Kentaro Miura

Yusuke Murata/b]

My friends
Emily B

Yuki Salinas

Etc

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2013, 09:30 PM by CrunchMcbuttsteak »
"I'm giving you a head start, you're going to need it. Cause I fight like a girl."

« Reply #38 on: Jul 24, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Sky doll ... I didn't think it was possible to love you more, RJ <3

« Reply #39 on: Jul 25, 2013, 12:09 AM »
Fabien Mense

Eiichiro Oda

Jake Wyatt

Afu Chan

Love all of these guy's stuff.

« Reply #40 on: Jul 25, 2013, 01:09 AM »
I can really see the impact that your first influence you listed has made on you dude, I really see the inspiration there! I also really dig that image too - is that from a comic?

Lots of cool artists posteeeeeeeed.

« Reply #41 on: Jul 25, 2013, 01:55 AM »
oh boy here we go

Junko Mizuno

Shotaro Ishinomori

Ai Yazawa

Hirohiko Araki

Go Nagai

Corey Reyyy Lewis

The Brothers Hernandez

Paul Pope

Asumiko Nakamura

Deth P Sun

Ralph Steadman

Masami Teraoka

« Reply #42 on: Jul 25, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Quote from: Jax
I can really see the impact that your first influence you listed has made on you dude, I really see the inspiration there! I also really dig that image too - is that from a comic?

Yessir! It's from Agito Cosmos, his amazing comic series that I can't read because I cannot speak French, but I am tempted to buy anyway. His blog is here if you're interested.

But yeah, as of late, I have been SUPER influenced by his work. I always check his blog to see what he's up to.

« Reply #43 on: Jul 25, 2013, 05:03 PM »
I'm not gonna spam this thread... much. But for posterity's sake, allow me to share some of the wonderful people who have inspired me to draw.

Hokusai:

Miguel Covarrubias

Al Hirschfeld

SEM

Rea Gardner

George Woodbridge

George Price

Charles Addams

SPY

So many more people whose art has touched my life but I won't put them all here...
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2013, 05:13 PM by Field Marshal Lionel Forsythe W. Underwood XIII, GBE »
I say old chap! Care for a spot of tea?

« Reply #44 on: Jul 25, 2013, 06:03 PM »
I have a friend who is really inspired by Al Hirschfeld as well, while he doesn't influence me at all I dig his work too. I love his useage of negative space and the general flow of his lines.

I love this thread. I'll gather up an updated list of my influenceeeees and post 'em sometime in the next few days.

« Reply #45 on: Jul 25, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Herp. All my influences are gonna be animu. Oh boy! (save one haha)

Yuzo Takada

Masashi Kishimoto

Hirohiko Araki

H.R. Giger (mostly for my horror illustrations and monster designs)

Miwa Shirow

Those are the main ones I can think up for now. There are a lot more, but nowadays I just take small aspects of technique or design from many artists and apply them to my work to make something new. :)

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

453 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 504.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us