Heavyweight Tournament 2011

Re: Heavyweight Tournament 2011
« Reply #250 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:13 AM »
A big thanks to Dimension for our fight, and having the closest battle in round one. Thank you for making it so difficult! It coulda been either one of us!

Man, I am super excited for this round!

« Reply #251 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:24 AM »
A big thanks to Dimension for our fight, and having the closest battle in round one. Thank you for making it so difficult! It coulda been either one of us!

Man, I am super excited for this round!

No probs maaaaaan. ;D hope you do a good job this round too~ I'm gonna do more comics as well and totally not slack off by playing pokemon.

« Reply #252 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Fantastic round 1 everybody, and thanks for the awesome match carlito! I hope i did chia right by your standards.

oy vey,Im gonna have to facilitate my time more wisely on this one, this round is falling on my finals week for school, ugh ugh..!

« Reply #253 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:58 AM »
I have an idea.  This first round was so excellent that I think it cements the fact that our contenders are heavyweights.  Since they're in the tourney they're obviously the cream of the crop so I think they should have recognition with some sort of Heavyweight Award.

« Reply #254 on: Mar 07, 2011, 02:18 PM »
LETS PUT ON A GOOD SHOW GUYS.

Also RoflQu you scare me right now so I'm gonna have to try my best to not fuck up like last round. Let's do itttt.

« Reply #255 on: Mar 07, 2011, 02:54 PM »
Fantastic round 1 everybody, and thanks for the awesome match carlito! I hope i did chia right by your standards.

It was awesome! I really liked it and dug the fight scenes and the humor... and it was a real honor to fight you. Seriously one of the top 5 favorite Chia-Hui battles. Thanks for that and give em hell the rest of the way thru.

P.S.
I hope you don't mind me borrowing Copper Mouth for my next few BB's should I choose to keep going

« Reply #256 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Man round two is so promising, guys. I thought the first round had awesome brackets, but the second has only gotten better.

Best of luck to all the artists.

« Reply #257 on: Mar 08, 2011, 09:02 AM »
Aiiiee Good luck Round Two'ers!

« Reply #258 on: Mar 09, 2011, 12:35 AM »
really surprised no one else has thrown up an elimination bracket yet, but i did this up quick to help out.

Round 2 is lookin' SHARRRPP!!

« Reply #259 on: Mar 10, 2011, 11:40 AM »
Pretty cool how i'm next to my opponent everytime.  That means..Hiemie is my end boss and i must have my revenge!!!!

Awesome work Pi!
It's stuff like this that keeps me enthusiastic.

« Reply #260 on: Mar 14, 2011, 05:43 PM »
I don't regret a lot of things in my life.  I do hate that being extremely busy and away from comics kept me from seeing this tourny.  I really wish I could have got in on this.  Either way its awesome! 

« Reply #261 on: Mar 16, 2011, 09:44 PM »
Quick question, there is no way I can possible upload my finished comic, grab my score, and then bow out of the tournament without resorting to a default right? I don't want my score really to take a hit, and I do intend on finishing this comic, but I'm entering into some real busy quarters at school and I wanna build up my 3D demo reel a lot more. Unfortunately my first major project would coincide with the end of the heavyweight next quarter, and I don't want to risk having this effect that too much.

If I do manage to make it to round 3 I'll still submit, I do not/will not default ever on a match, but I'd rather not have to try and contend with this at the same time. If not, its cool, I'll still keep going if I have to (and if I actually do make it past this round), it was just a thought really.

« Reply #262 on: Mar 16, 2011, 09:46 PM »
I believe Toast has allowed people to bow out in the past, I'm not totally certain on that. I think it was on the invitational?
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #263 on: Mar 16, 2011, 09:48 PM »
It would be cool if I could. I don't want to take the hit on a default. I'd love to finish, I'm really getting into it as much as I can with all my schoolwork piling on top of me this round (I'm currently undergoing final projects and exams at the same time as doing this round xD).

If not, its no big deal, I'll still try super hard to keep going on. I just wouldn't expect anything amazing outta me haha.

« Reply #264 on: Mar 16, 2011, 11:20 PM »
otyher way to do it is put half of your battle up (so let the other dude win) and post the rest as bb. no default, just probably lower score but no default.
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #265 on: Mar 17, 2011, 05:10 AM »
Remind me of this when the voting is close to over (Saturday or Sunday).  I'll see what we can do for you.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #266 on: Mar 17, 2011, 05:37 AM »
otyher way to do it is put half of your battle up (so let the other dude win) and post the rest as bb. no default, just probably lower score but no default.
Lowering his own score is half  defaulting - why would Orange even draw all that if he were to get below his battle.
RoflQu might still win :P

« Reply #267 on: Mar 17, 2011, 07:45 AM »
I think maybe I'm reading this different then everyone else... You're saying you're definitely going to turn in something complete this round, but if you win, you want to drop out of the tournament without Luna getting a loss. Right?
If that's what you're asking, you shouldn't be allowed to do that. Nothing against you though. I really like your Luna comics.

« Reply #268 on: Mar 17, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Well, sort of. More like getting out of it without any hit to my overall artist score. But I do realize in essence it is kind of unfair. I guess I'll just see what happens and if I happen to move on this round I'm gonna scale down my next entries to a very low pagecount.

« Reply #269 on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:56 AM »
I have to agree with Carlito on this one. It's nothing personal, obviously. You're an amazing artist and a fun person to talk to. But something like half the people who applied for this tournament didn't make it in, you were given the opportunity in someone else's place. If you knew you wouldn't have the time then you shouldn't have tried out, but more likely things have gotten hectic recently, which is just part of life and happens to everyone.

« Reply #270 on: Mar 17, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Since I'm in the tourney I can understand Orange's point of view more I guess. It's very draining to give your 100% and if he knows he might default next round it's better to give up his win.
The only person that you could say that took someone's place was "namless" since he defaulted in the first round, and he got in based on his history with half-done product and defaulting.
It's still too early to say whenever Orange will win against RoflQu, and the fact is that he'll provide us with two very enjoyable battles.

For the sake of bigger good, or lesser evil it's best for Orange to quit if he knows he won't be able to work. He has his reason and I'm sorry that he didn't lose both his hands in car accided, because you might order him to do next round with his feet or mouth.

« Reply #271 on: Mar 17, 2011, 01:21 PM »
I think it's great that Orange is being upfront. In a professional environment, if you're in over your head, it's good to let people know in advance rather than stay the course & fuck something up. Would've been nice, Orange, could you have anticipated the schedule conflict, to bow out before the thing started. I'm in the opposite boat, frankly. My schedule looked ridiculous & now it's kind of cleared up. I'm kicking myself for not entering. But hindsight's 20/20, & a motherfucker. Obviously you can't anticipate every aspect of everything.

It's fair that if Orange can't proceed, someone willing & more able can & should take his place. He got where he got to with solid work, as would whoever might step in at this point.

All that having been said, it's pretty goddamn silly to care THAT much about your score. No matter how great you're doing, it really is an arbitrary number. The work is always the most important. Concern yourself with that.

And hey man. Not only that, but like wolcik pointed out, what about your opponent? I think you're really undercutting Rofl here by kind of implying you defaulting would be his only chance at winning. Give him some credit. His last round was solid & he could have the better comic this round. Then you'd still be out anyway & be leaving with the best score possible you could muster.

« Reply #272 on: Mar 17, 2011, 01:41 PM »
Whoa whoa WHOA. I didn't say that RoflQu's only chance of winning was me defaulting. I was speaking in what ifs and I'm sorry if it came across as anything BUT that. I still said I would be turning in a comic this round, finished as complete as I can get it. I do -not- ever default -ever-. I was simply stating in the chance that I managed to move on, I would not be able to uphold a certain level of quality. I never meant it to seem like I said RoflQu stands no chance, I've told him already many times that I'm kind of nervous about this fight and we're pretty good pals so he knows for a fact I don't think that.

I have already decided against dropping out anyway, Carlito already brought up a good point. Also yeah, I wasn't expecting to be this busy. I knew I was going to get busy with school but not quite at this level.

Also I know its silly to care that much about the arbitrary number, but that arbitrary number has given me something to shoot for. I play VOID like I play a video game, the number to me is the EXP and the rank above where I am is the next level so to speak. I can't level up if I don't do better, and so I have fun in giving myself a goal to reach - otherwise I'd turn in sloppy shit. I know the actual artwork is the most important but I use the scores as a benchmark for myself to try to beat, so it does make me produce better stuff :P

« Reply #273 on: Mar 17, 2011, 02:00 PM »
It sounds perfectly fine to me. Dude wants to bow out, but not default. He's still making comics, and said if he had to, he would continue the tourney and not default. Not really a slap in the face of anyone who didn't make it in, in my opinion.

I think his attitude on this whole thing is a big reason why he was chosen in the first place. Good comics, and an attitude of not turning in crap, even if times get hectic. Sounds like he's handling it very rationally and excellently.

« Reply #274 on: Mar 17, 2011, 02:08 PM »
Its no big deal anyway, it'd be unfair if I was allowed to just drop out anyway (like it was pretty much said last page heh) so I'll just keep going until I lose. If I lose this round, cool, saves me a headache and from what I've seen of Rofl's comic so far it is a big possibility (and then Rofl, you will have achieved your goal of saving me haha)! If not then I'll keep going until I do lose. I realize I made a commitment just like a lot of other people did when signing up to this, I was just seeking a possible way out early was all without having to sacrifice anything. Really though, as stated, it is unfair. So we'll just see where it goes from here and I still am going to give RoflQu my all since I promised him a great round.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

296 Guests, 3 Users

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us