Heavyweight Tournament 2011

Re: Heavyweight Tournament 2011
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:59 AM »
I was thinking the same thing as you and Qyzex, I should think if the title goes unchallenged or the character goes inactive for a predetermined length of time then the title should go up for grabs in another tourney.

We could run into exactly the same problems if we just give it the top contender from the original tourney. It should only be held by someone reasonably active. As long as we don't schedule it during any other current events there shouldn't be any conflicts.

The whole thing cries out to be dynamic and coveted so it should come down to a new tourney with current artists if things go stale with the original holder.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2011, 09:02 AM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:18 AM »
I was thinking the same thing as you and Qyzex, I should think if the title goes unchallenged or the character goes inactive for a predetermined length of time then the title should go up for grabs in another tourney.

We could run into exactly the same problems if we just give it the top contender from the original tourney. It should only be held by someone reasonably active. As long as we don't schedule it during any other current events there shouldn't be any conflicts.

The whole thing cries out to be dynamic and coveted so it should come down to a new tourney with current artists if things go stale with the original holder.

Really it could even be a small 4 person 2 round tournament. It hardly matters the size of the event, because the entire purpose of it is to get the title of Heavyweight Champion out to active hands so it can be defended and passed around. I suppose in that regard, it'll be much much easier to schedule such an event compared to something of SDT proportions.

Here's a puzzler though, say the title winner enters into a Tag Match. If he loses, who gets the title then?

P.S. You're signing up to be that active title holder, right? You denied me with All-Together Now!, do something asshole.

« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Yeah there needs to be some stipulations and responsibilities to the title. Every battle the champion has shouldn't have to have his/her title on the line, perhaps bring back the trophy match concept but instead name it "championship match".

My suggestion is that the title should be defended at least once within a 2-3month interval, if not they must relinquish the title.

Another thing, to ensure that only "deserving" people are battling maybe only the top 50(25 whatever) ranked are only allowed to challenge for a championship match.

« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:00 AM »
I think a defense every 2 months is completely fair. If the title holder is supposed to be the alpha dog of the site then he or she should be active as well. Plus, during this tourney everyone (selected) has a shot at the title but once we have a champion we'll have to wait for the title holder to offer that chance. For some of us that will be a loooooong time, and if the champion only had to defend once or twice a year that would pretty much make it indefinite.

« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:08 AM »
Yeah there needs to be some stipulations and responsibilities to the title. Every battle the champion has shouldn't have to have his/her title on the line, perhaps bring back the trophy match concept but instead name it "championship match".

My suggestion is that the title should be defended at least once within a 2-3month interval, if not they must relinquish the title.

Another thing, to ensure that only "deserving" people are battling maybe only the top 50(25 whatever) ranked are only allowed to challenge for a championship match.
Giving the opportunity only to 50 top characters is very limiting, because it doesn't give the vote of doubt to those that might have improved a lot or are willing to step up to the required level.

« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:14 AM »
I think it would also be interesting if the title holder had a little icon or something placed in a corner of their avatar to actively show that they are the title holder.

« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Ugh...you know what. I've been feeling rather emo about my art lately, I think a tournament WOULD do me some good. This beyond battle I am doing right now is not turning out at all (its lame and stupid) and I fare better with a tournament type setting. I probably won't make it very far, but what the fuck. If I get in that means I'll have to cancel the BB and just do this instead (which is fine by me).

Orange - Luna

« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:25 AM »
YEAH! Never enough Orange or Luna.... or Orange Luna.

« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Winning the invitational just wasn't enough for you was it?  Now you gotta be King of All Void now huh?  Well guess what... I got nothing.  Long live the King.

« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2011, 12:44 PM »
I'm flattered but I doubt I am anywhere good enough to be called the King. There were way better people before me, and way better people on the site currently haha.

Thanks though! Gave me a good laugh :)

« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2011, 01:09 PM »
too bad Angie won't be in this torunament...

« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2011, 01:15 PM »
haha alas even if I was still battling my schedule is a little too unpredictable right now since I get pages for work at random intervals. Have some big deadlines coming up in March for like 2 books. Orange I need you to go far in the tournament so you can kick me off the top of the ranks dammit! It is my will that a newbie takes the #1 torch. Since I'm not battling anymore I would like to see someone who is take my spot since I'm just loafing around there

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2011, 01:18 PM by angieness »
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #37 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:14 PM »
I'll take that spot. : B

« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:21 PM »
Haha oh man the pressure. Okay sure, I'll try!

« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:55 PM »
Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!

NeoIcarus - Danielle

And don't worry, Angie, I'll do you a favor and take that spot. No need to thank me. It'll be my pleasure.
"C'mon, ladies! Play us a tasty lick!"

« Reply #40 on: Feb 07, 2011, 03:03 PM »
DO IT GUYS :D
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2011, 03:34 PM »
It's faster to get the title than angie's spot XD

« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Not really, Dure could get it in a few battles, if Orange gets far he'd net it :D. Drastic could get it pretty easily if that slacker would battle more than like 3 times a year. If any of those guys won the tournament overall not only would they end up with the #1 spot but they would also have the fancy pants Heavy Weight Champ title. Yes, I am trying to light a fire under you guys' asses so we can see some amazing comics.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:58 PM »
I choose you Will!
Just so I can watch him get his ass kicked.

« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:22 PM »

ledes87 - Agent Koba

« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:08 PM »
Here's a puzzler though, say the title winner enters into a Tag Match. If he loses, who gets the title then?
It's like wrestling - single titles aren't up for grabs during tag matches.

And I'm really not ready to comment on the eventualities of title transference beyond that inactivity will result in forfeiture.  Can we keep the discussion to sign-ups and hype?
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:57 PM »
Please just buy the car without looking under the hood. XD

Really though, this is crazy exciting. Some of my favorite artists and characters. It's almost worth signing up just to finally have that battle with Mr. Awesome.

« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:39 AM »
From the suggestions thread, in July:
If the titleholder's inactive for more than a certain amount of time, a toss up match or tourney's held & victor gets bragging rights.

Inactivity's the only thing that should be a concern & it's already been addressed. Bases were covered.

I really want in on this, but I've got a busy work schedule & I'd like to keep up the momentum for something else I'm already at work on. Though I may get crazy & sign up before the deadline anyhow. We'll see...

« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:35 AM »

Really though, this is crazy exciting. Some of my favorite artists and characters. It's almost worth signing up just to finally have that battle with Mr. Awesome.

Oh just sign up already. Jeez.

« Reply #49 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:47 PM »

Oh just sign up already. Jeez.

my sentiments exactly.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

TheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan DealbhaothTarkosDrawura

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 15, 2024, 12:08 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

105 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 129.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us