Comic Art Mastercopy Jam (Now Drawing: Bill Watterson!)

All right, folks, since I've been kicking around this idea for a while, I figure now would be as good of a time as any to post about it. I'm wanting to start a comic mastercopy jam- in short, all participants would be asked to find the current artist of the week (or month, haven't decided yet) and do their best to emulate a single page or strip of their work, as well as engage in a group discussion picking apart the artist's style and technique. So far, I have a couple of artists that I feel would be great to study:

-Bill Watterson
-Akira Toriyama
-Eiichiro Oda
-Moebius
-Herge
-Will Eisner
-Jeff Smith

A mix of American, Euro, manga, and everything in between would be fantastic. The main purpose behind this jam is to expose yourself to a variety of different visual styles and also examine what sort of tricks the greats used for their own work that can be used independent of their 'look' (i.e. panel composition, lighting, rendering, anatomy, etc.).

I'd like to know who all would be interested in doing this, as well as what artists we should choose for our initial line-up. In my opinion, an artist of the week would allow for more variety, but doing it monthly would allow for a more in-depth analysis and also afford more time for those of us who are running hectic schedules. What say ye, Void? Are you up for the challenge?
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011, 03:27 PM by Theo »

Re: Comic Art Mastercopy Jam (Planning Stages)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2010, 06:27 PM »
I'm in!!! I'd say we do a monthly thing with this, cause i enjoy over analyzing stuff

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:46 PM »
I'm all for this! let's not forget some comic book artists like Dave Gibons, Jack Kirby, John Romita Jr. and others.
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:26 PM »
I REALLY like this idea, sounds super fun and inspiring. Especially at the thought of doing one of Oda's or Eisner's pages!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:22 AM »
I do this all the time and it's really helpful.  I usually like to work from cartoonists that have really strong compositions, and do just a quick sketch of the page focusing on layout, placing blacks, etc, rather than trying to get an exact copy.  I would recommend adding Alex Toth, Jaime Hernandez, Jacques Tardi and Yoshihiro Tatsumi to the already solid list you guys have complied.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:58 AM »
Ok, so I made a list of the names i this thread.

-Bill Watterson
-Akira Toriyama
-Eiichiro Oda
-Moebius
-Herge
-Will Eisner
-Jeff Smith
-Dave Gibons
-Jack Kirby
-John Romita Jr
-Alex Toth
-Jaime Hernandez
-Jacques Tardi
-Yoshihiro Tatsumi
-Frank Miller

If we do this monthly, we have enough to go into 2012.

If anyone has any other ideas, post them now. I think we should plan to start this in January.
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Starting this in January would probably be the best course of action- starting at the beginning of the month and a while after the holiday rush has died down seems ideal. I'll keep an eye on this list and we can keep adding artists as we go. Now, then, I'm thinking we should have everybody work on a page or strip of the selected artist- should they be required to post the copy as well as the original? For an extra challenge, it'd be cool to have people attempt to draw something in that artist's style, since we get a whole month to work with them. A group discussion and analysis of the artist's style seems ideal, too. Anybody have any other ideas?

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Let's kick off 2011 right with our first mastercopy artist. Up first is....

Bill Watterson!

Bill Watterson is the man behind one of the most beloved comic strips in America, Calvin and Hobbes. The strip examined the everyday lives and misadventures of the titular boy and living stuffed tiger, ranging from light-hearted comedy to philosophical meditations. To this day Watterson has shied away from the press and remains adamant about keeping his creation from being turned into merchandise- the nearly-ubiquitous car decals of Calvin peeing on a Ford logo or kneeling at a cross are, of course, unauthorized.

Your goal is to copy at least one black and white strip from the series- if you can, try and copy a colored Sunday strip as well. We can also begin examination of Watterson's individual style. Take a look at his fine arts background and compare it to his cartooning for a headstart. For bonus points, try and draw one of the strips in your own style.

I'm looking forward to seeing everybody's work. Let's get to it!

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

451 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 504.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us