What Brought You to Void and What Keeps You Here?

Re: What Brought You to Void and What Keeps You Here?
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2010, 03:10 PM »
My good pal Doug, Lysol-Jones, got me to join Void along with our friends Eric (Synje) and Jay (Scarce).  I really just joined to poke fun at Jay's manly looking lady character, but ended up staying for a long ass time.  I've basically been gone outside of the mod board and approvals for a while now, but I'm still here, and the only one of the original Florida Crew left.  Eric seems to be starting quite the life for himself, Doug's all in France eating baguettes banging hookers and creating characters, and Jay is in the back of a garbage truck somewhere -- tripping his balls off.  I still come back to help on the mod board and to accept fresh faces and new blood.

I didn't even want to make a goodbye post, but I was struck with how pathetic it was seeing people still bitching about how the site has changed. Fuck you, move on, grow up. If there's anything that should be learned from this site it's that there's way bigger and better things out there than Void, but this is a fucking great place to find out what those things are.

Yeah.  It's really sad people have become so bitter and cynical.  If anything has "ruined" Void it is that.  Not that I think Void is ruined at all.  It is pretty much the same as it has always been.  Lots and lots of amazing fun, with pointless, petty drama sprinkled in.  People have such unrealistic nostalgia of what Void was.  If anything, it's become less dickish and has gotten better artists.

Gavin, I am ashamed in you.  You claim someone else is trying to ruin your fun - but all you ever do on Void now is try to ruin everyone elses fun but yours.  What the fuck?  Grow up. 

PS-I'm leaving because Gavin ruined Void.

« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2010, 03:39 PM »
Seriously? Throwing blame on Gavin? Gavin just spoke his mind on what he thinks is going on with the site right now. Christ people.

I came to Void because it looked fun. I didn't come here to get better or do interpersonal politics or any of that bullshit. I came here to make comics and have fun.

I think we should always have events, we should let people in even if we don't like them or their characters. We should let people enjoy ourselves here. This place isn't a school. It's entertainment. You don't graduate from Void and it isn't just for children. When you say you're too mature for something, you often aren't.

« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 2010, 03:54 PM »
I suppose, among a few other things, Dragon Ball Z brought me here. i was reading a dragonball z fan magazine (back in the days that if i could travel back to in a time machine, i'd have kicked my sorry little anime faggot ass all the way to this site) and it had an article about Akira Toriyama's website. it was there that i found a link to a site called "busterkids" which was Maximo Lorenzo AKA 'crazybee' and some other person. it led me to his deviantart, which was filled with the funniest, best looking (that i had seen at the time. untill then i was on manga, once i saw that indie style, i was never the same) comics about this hampster named Del. eventually through watching Maximo on deviantart, i saw some comics he had made here, and i popped over.

What made me stay was partly the fact that in 2005-2006ish my mom had 2 heart attacks rapid fire, and subsequently had a quadrouple bypass. it was a rough year or two for me, and i spent it pretending to be good at art, and being overall a complete fucking cock shiner to all you fine people.

which is the other reason i've stayed (well, come back i suppose.) all you people have helped me grow as an artist comparably, as much as the art institute of pittsburgh is. i needed every critique any of you gave me, and you also gave my douchbag early teenage ass the harsh tough fucking love he needed to stop being a douchebag pretender, grow the fuck up, and focus on comics. People like sheldon and james are the kind of people i aspire to be, not in style, but in tenacity and dedication.

and i doubt sheldon and james are even the people they're aspiring to be right now. if i'm not, why should they be. so as i climb the ladder, i know it will only get longer.

but that's the fun. and even angie with her 30 page comics and immaculate colors can't police that shit.
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2010, 03:58 PM by HAVEN! »
Picard is the man.

« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2010, 04:06 PM »
I fucking hate cons but goddamn if WW07 wasn't one of the biggest things for me as an artist.

Times like those happen once every hundred years. It will never be topped or matched. Never.

« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2010, 04:46 PM »
Lysol posted art of Lotus on his DA... I came here via that.

I stayed because I fucking felt like it.

Then I left because I felt like it

then came back because I felt like it.

YUP

« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2010, 04:47 PM »
Qyz don't play by nobody's rules
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #31 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:03 PM »
He can play by mine if he wants ;)

« Reply #32 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:15 PM »
I was the one who disowned Roflqu to this place, and now I am back to claim what is MINE!

« Reply #33 on: Nov 05, 2010, 12:13 PM »
-To beat James in a battle!

-It's my homepage...also undying love for the place and people...but mostly because it's my homepage.

« Reply #34 on: Nov 05, 2010, 03:09 PM »
I found out about this hole from following Monday, i was always infatuated by his art throughout high school and one day I saw he was into something called "entervoid".  I had to check it out for myself.  Hell, even my character coppermouth came from a failed attempt at some agent black fanart.

That was back in 2006-ish?   I saw what the site had to offer and fell in love, I was big into comics for a long time but when college started up I fell out of the loop with my lack of internet.  Because of that I lost a lot of my passion for comics, though now that's rapidly changing. 

Void is where i started to get serious, and it's where i'd like to continue to learn for a while. I've watched a good number of people evolve into stellar artists, and i hope to follow the same path as them.

« Reply #35 on: Nov 05, 2010, 08:19 PM »

So far it's the only proof I have that there is an audience and a future for this peculiar artform that I keep being told is childish and a thing of the past or that it has no worth if I'm not getting paid to do it.

« Reply #36 on: Nov 06, 2010, 02:35 PM »
I was brought here by mvm and penryn. They were talking about Void after I got back from playing football, and I had never heard of it... they showed it to me and were talking about how they had been reading stuff here for years but had never tried to make characters, and they started getting pumped talking about how all 3 of us should submit at the same time and try to get in, since they both drew and I had used to draw.
 I hadn't drawn in a LONG, LONG time and I wasn't so sure I wanted to at first. I spent most my time playing sports and working, but they talked me into it and we made a deadline to turn it in by... they kept telling me they were going strong, they'd be done soon, and I'd better be almost done too...
but then I submited and they didn't.
 I wanted to get on if they did... but otherwise, I didn't really care to do it at all, and I was pretty pissed they had talked me into it and left me hanging out to dry. I probably would have just left, but then people started critting me...
and it was really hardcore. I was upset. I didn't want to leave NOW. Defeated! I didn't really even want to come on in the first place, and now they weren't gonna LET me in?! It lit a spark in me.
 James was gone, Ponbiki was gone, Mize, Marley, Seel, Bacardi, Kure, Sheldon, Griffin, Chamba, Lysol, Corry, Foo, P2... all gone. I wasn't here for any of those guys fights, they had all left... and when I came here, talent seemed pretty thin.
 Why were people who sucked at anatomy, telling me I sucked at anatomy? Or people who couldn't draw perspective, ripping into my perspective? Why did some of the 'selection committee' members art look like they drew it on a bus on a bumpy road with their left hand when they were really right handed? or vice versa, and people I thought were horrible were in and had more then a few battles, and they wouldn't let me on?
 Now I'm not saying I had the right attitude, I'm just telling you why I took it so hard when they told me over and over and over that I wasn't good enough to be on the site and to try again.
 In retrospect, I would have done it differently... I'd try to not be so easily upset, or not try to out-dick people that are dicks... but now, it's funny, Void isn't that way as much anymore. It's way nicer. Far more welcoming. Sometimes even kind and encouraging. There are people of all levels, and people are fine with it. It even seems pretty easy to get in now... they even had a tournament, just LETTING people in. And we have NEW legends: Amazingdavid, One Dark Knight, Drastic Fantastic, Jet, Airlight, Squidman, and Orange... Ponbiki's back, P2, Kon, Jho, Perca and Mize have all stopped back thru, and there are many, many, many more awesome artists doing stuff right at this moment.
 I've even been trying to bridge the WFA/Void gap and go over there and do stuff regularly and bring some of them over here to do awesome comics.
 I've made some enemies on here, but I've made a lot of FRIENDS too... and mvm and Penryn finally got there butts in here also.
 That's what brought me here, that's why I stayed, and that's why I'll be back.

« Reply #37 on: Nov 06, 2010, 03:14 PM »

So far it's the only proof I have that there is an audience and a future for this peculiar artform that I keep being told is childish and a thing of the past or that it has no worth if I'm not getting paid to do it.

And whoever tells you doing something you enjoy doing is bad isn't worth listening to. Well that's unless you're killing children or something but you get the point. Keep fighting the good fight and don't bother with the haters since you make some awesome stuff.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #38 on: Nov 06, 2010, 03:44 PM »
Man, we had a table at either the Baltimore or Philly Comic-con and some (white) guy came to our table and told us about the site.
I ran across the website when we(Me,Fox24 and Coldstream) made it back and the rest is history.

What keeps me? The diversity ( without sounding corny) with artists like Heimie and Amamloo then the more rep artist like Canaan and RTV potentially clashing... it's like what COULD happen next?

That and Corry made it in, big mistake to my social life (or lack there of).

« Reply #39 on: Nov 06, 2010, 04:19 PM »
And whoever tells you doing something you enjoy doing is bad isn't worth listening to. Well that's unless you're killing children or something but you get the point.

Wait, why the double standard??

« Reply #40 on: Nov 06, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Well, I would hope no one on Void is killing children and all
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #41 on: Nov 06, 2010, 10:09 PM »
came for the awesome art dudes

semi-stayed for the zillion dramas

thanks to void tho i drew lots of comics and still do but the difference is i dont show any to anyone now

also void makes me feel special for knowing special people. all kinds of special.
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #42 on: Nov 06, 2010, 11:12 PM »
I was brought here by MvM and penryn. They were talking about Void after I got back from playing football, and I had never heard of it... they showed it to me and were talking about how they had been reading stuff here for years but had never tried to make characters, and they started getting pumped talking about how all 3 of us should submit at the same time and try to get in, since they both drew and I had used to draw.
 I hadn't drawn in a LONG, LONG time and I wasn't so sure I wanted to at first. I spent most my time playing sports and working, but they talked me into it and we made a deadline to turn it in by... they kept telling me they were going strong, they'd be done soon, and I'd better be almost done too...
but then I submited and they didn't.

I like how your always telling that story.... let it go man, its old news.... lol

My brother showed me this site and suggested I could use it to improve my art. I got a couple friends (MvM and Carlito) to join up with me, but i procrastinated. I eventually got on and did a few fights, but kinda lost interest in my character. but i still check out the site, read the comics, Vote, go through the forums, and comment every once and awhile. I really like the resources Void offers through the Void University were you can easily find advice and techniques that others provide. I've used it many times and I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to post there. I know voiders at times cause a lot of drama, but maybe in most cases its because we're passionate about Void and all that it stands for.

« Reply #43 on: Nov 07, 2010, 05:14 AM »

also void makes me feel special for knowing special people. all kinds of special.

I like to think we're all a little special.

« Reply #44 on: Nov 07, 2010, 09:10 AM »

Why were people who sucked at anatomy, telling me I sucked at anatomy? Or people who couldn't draw perspective, ripping into my perspective? Why did some of the 'selection committee' members art look like they drew it on a bus on a bumpy road with their left hand when they were really right handed? or vice versa, and people I thought were horrible were in and had more then a few battles, and they wouldn't let me on?
 Now I'm not saying I had the right attitude, I'm just telling you why I took it so hard when they told me over and over and over that I wasn't good enough to be on the site and to try again.
The right attitude is definately not tracing, being caught, and say nothing happened.

The approval comittee is definately not an expert on all these points you mentioned, but you bet they can catch someone cheating with tracing on plain sight. Subestimation is ROCKIN' attitude.
By air

« Reply #45 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:34 AM »
WFA/Void gap?
Picard is the man.

« Reply #46 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:35 AM »
There used to be some hostility between Void and WFA (another comic battling site) but I don't think there is anymore since people probably stopped caring.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #47 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:32 PM »
A guy I used to know showed me the site... oh jesus like 5 or 6 years ago.  He always talked about wanting to put a character up but not being good enough (I'm pretty sure he's forgotten about it but he makes more money doing commissions than I do at my job now hahaha).  I decided I would try it and started posting some stuff up. I hate to admit it but I wasn't mentally ready for it and I kinda jumped on some comments like I was being attacked and then I took a long break without ever submitting anything.

Now that I'm back and more established with my 'style' and have more experience under my belt I stick around because I want to do this and stick through what I told myself I would do way back when.  I've read a ton of comics and there are members of the site I would absolutely love to battle with more popping up every now and again.  I don't think I -could- leave, it's like an addiction.

« Reply #48 on: Nov 08, 2010, 11:49 AM »
did this hostility occur while i was gone? i've never even heard of another comic battle site until now
Picard is the man.

« Reply #49 on: Nov 08, 2010, 12:27 PM »
i was linked here back in 2003 and i just fell in love with the place. I loved the battling and all the awesome art, and it was (and still is) just this awesome resource for comics improvement and meeting rad people

what keeps me here i guess is a matter of VOID being a huge part of my improvement as an artist, and being able to know so many awesome people over the years i've stuck around

i'd never leave this place
an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Augustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan DealbhaothTarkos

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 26, 2024, 08:28 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

308 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us