24 Hour Comics Day! 2013 EDITION

24 Hour Comics Day! 2013 EDITION
« on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:11 PM »
Wow, holy humdingers! 3 years later! 24 Hour Comic Day!

Two years ago and then one year ago, our brave forefathers (me and a bunch of other loonies) took a historic step forward in comics everywhere. We suffered through hand cramps, back aches, and general sleepiness, to give our loved ones freedom. A freedom to wake up and do nothing but comics. As we near the anniversary of the event, it turned out that the damn thing is annual and we weren't that special to begin with.

Then we did it again and lo, it was as brutal as before.

But, we were still crazy, because we would all do it again.

For you see, once again, this upcoming Saturday, October 5th is

24 Hour Comic Day!

For those of you unfamiliar with it, 24 Hour Comic Day is where an artist has to make 24 comic pages in 24 hours. Or, if you're doing an infinite canvas comic, 100 panels.

So, what does this mean to you? Well, it means on Saturday, October 5th, Void is going to participate in our very own 24 Hour Comics Brawl! You'll have your 24 Hour Deadline and you'll be paired off with other artists in Battle Royale-styled Artist Battles.

"Okay there Mr. Pitchman, spin it again!"

The creator (that's you) may gather research materials and drawing tools beforehand, but cannot plan the comic's plot ahead of time or put anything on paper (such as designs and character sketches) until the 24 hours to begin. This is all original plots and thought up on the spot. Any breaks (for food, sleep, or any other purpose) are counted as part of the 24 hours. You've got your 24 hours and you're gonna stick to it! No more, no less!

And don't you work ahead of time neither, only lady-men cheat on 24 Hour Comics Day!

"I never get picked for Volleyball. It hurts my self-esteem and makes me feel bad!”

Anyone can participate! No harm to anyone who wishes to participate! You will not have a hit taken to your score or rank, this is all in good fun! If you get to the 24th hour and you're not at 24 pages, that's alright, upload it anyways! We want to see your noble failure! I'll repeat that again, THIS IS NO-STRESS FUN. YOU WILL NOT LOSE SCORE OR GAIN SCORE THROUGH THIS EVENT. IF YOU DEFAULT OR DO NOT MAKE 24 PAGES, IT IS OKAY. IT IS JUST TO CELEBRATE AND PARTICIPATE IN 24 HOUR COMICS DAY!

“Ahh, but there's a win/loss attached to it! Explain that!”

If your perfect record matters that much to you, then don't sign up with us. Make your entry a beyond battle. You can state your intent on here however and still enjoy participating in the revelry!

"Say, why are you announcing this a month in advance?"

Last year had a lot of people telling me how they had wanted to participate but were unable to. This year, I'd like everyone who's interested in doing 24 Hour Comics Day have a chance to do it. Whether this means you decide to do it a weekend or two before the event or you actually take time off of work to participate.

You can do it later too, if you'd like.

"I thought you just said no working ahead of time, I don't wanna be no lady-man!"

I meant working on the comic ahead of time over the course of multiple days. If your schedule doesn't match up with Void's and you decided to start earlier while adhering to the rules of 24 Hour Comics Day, that's totally fine! I encourage you to do that if it works better for you.

"Can you impart any sage advice for 24 Hour Comics Day, Rofl?"

Do NOT waste time scanning. You can scan and upload the battle the next day and will be just fine. Otherwise, you're just wasting your own time setting it up. So, October 6th, upload then. Or get some sleep first, whatever your priorities are after spending 24 hours awake.

Don't stay awake waiting for the day to start, you're going to be dog-dead-tired in the middle of the day. Make sure you sleep earlier and set your alarm for about 11:50 or so.

If your pulse stops, maybe go to a hospital, don't kill yourself over some comics, that's stupid. Go for as long as you feel comfortable. Almost everyone here last time didn't reach 24 pages, but as long as you enjoy yourself, that's what's important.

I wouldn't recommend trying to do both traditional and digital! Pick one or the other and stick with it.

I can say that we all had a good time with it last year and some fun short comics were made, even if the majority were finished. So, honestly, join on in. It's a lot of fun and won't cost you anything but a day of your time.

THAT DAY IS SATURDAY, OCTOBER 5TH, FOR 24 HOUR COMICS DAY!

SO SIGN UP WHY DON'T YA!

1. Charlie
2. Tofubeast
3. KENT
4. Wutata
5. Saburu
6. Slagglle
7. - - -

ALSO THE COMICS FROM YEARS PRIOR. . .

Charlie vs. Nothin vs. K E N T ^o^ vs. NRG vs. W U T A T A vs. Pocketmouse vs. Kinu vs. Magistelle vs. Thresher

MyHatsEatPeople vs. Atomicfish vs. Popokoli vs. Crafty vs. TKDZen vs. Inquisitor Galloglasses vs. Runic vs. Animeshen

AND THE COMICS FROM THE YEAR BEFORE THAT!

GOD DAMN IT ROFLQU vs. Charlie vs. oh shada vs. Mister Kent vs. JAZ vs. Orion

Slade vs. Nachte vs. endjoi vs. sixtem vs. nibbles

Mister Kent

AND THE COMICS FROM THE YEAR BEFORE THAT EVEN YET!!

RoflQu vs. Orange vs. Pi vs. Le Fred vs. DJ Neko vs. Ransomlikescake vs. Slagglle

Jong Bom vs. Fowlie vs. Fetus Man vs. Fushigi vs. PsychoSean vs. Mister Kent

Zsabreuser

Galvo
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2013, 10:28 AM by GOD DAMN IT ROFLQU »

Re: 24 Hour Comics Day!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:14 PM »
COUNT ME IN.

Edit: And hey, don't let anyone's fathers beat their child with a sack of me's. Miis? Me...s. ME AND MY CLONES.
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2010, 11:17 PM by Orange »

« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:16 PM »
i'm all in.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:23 PM »
:( I have a production on that day. (one of my last) for The Matchmaker and I have a lot of homework that I am just plain not getting done... life sucks when you can't keep up... :(

*Reeeeeally want to do this! But can't.*

« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:27 PM »
:( I have a production on that day. (one of my last) for The Matchmaker and I have a lot of homework that I am just plain not getting done... life sucks when you can't keep up... :(

*Reeeeeally want to do this! But can't.*

Hey, if your plans change, feel free to let us know!

« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:35 PM »
Will do. I love me some comicing but life is life...

Kudos to those that can make it.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:56 PM »
I'm hopin on this bitch. Count me in.

Fuck, nevermind. I'm working all weekend uuugh
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2010, 04:43 PM by aribooboo »

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2010, 12:27 AM »
I have work that day, so I can't  :'(

Is this happening again next year?

« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2010, 12:31 AM »
I have work that day, so I can't  :'(

Is this happening again next year?

It began in 1990 and it has been growing bigger and stronger ever since. Every year before 2010 has done it and I don't doubt next year won't have it again. It's a shame you can't enter though!

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2010, 01:41 AM »
Work, plus the world time-zone difference and my lack of scanning facilities would force me to cheat
if I want to enter this time.

So yeah, next year it is.

« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2010, 05:08 AM »
YES.
"I knew when I sighned up for Void years ago, Someday I'm going to prison for this site"  - Mister Kent, words to live by

« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2010, 05:11 AM »
Did it last year, and doing it again, it's immense fun!
Put ma nam ther!
By air

« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2010, 05:12 AM »
Doesn't mean you can't just do one the first day you get a chance. Sure it's not part of like a sanctioned tourney or event, but you'd still be doing one & you could ultimately still post the result on Void.

I don't know what my schedule's going to be so let me wait until the 1st to throw a hat in.

Also the one Z did was tremendous!

« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2010, 05:39 AM »
Any possible link to that?

« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2010, 05:48 AM »
Count. Me. In.

« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2010, 05:59 AM »
Any possible link to that?
If you mean the one I did, here it is!
http://entervoid.com/board/index.php?topic=10948.0
Had to edit it and put a page that was missing
By air

« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2010, 06:09 AM »
Thank you! ;D

-edit: Read.... wow... Now I REALLY want to do this... I guess I could step up my game and spend my entire morning drawing and get as much done before night performance as long as I get my work out of the way. My Bro will be driving up that weekend as well so I would have to be a good brother and hang out (like that is a hard thing to do with him. :D) I guess I could hang around and bring a sketchbook and make it throughout the day. At the very least I could draw up all the thumbs and write the dialogue to be finished at a later date. Comic making is comic making and I will take any good excuse to do so. :) Still I have always wanted to do a 24 hour comic run (always heard about them from Seqalab and they sound like a real fun time.) You guys make me want to draw more now then I ever had before and I would love to duke it out old school with this!

Maybe I will finally give David something to do!

Here is to the day! I will be counting them down. :)
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2010, 06:31 AM by Orion »

« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2010, 07:23 AM »
At the rate I am going, I can only draw one page in 24 hours. Maybe if I was 18 again I could draw 5 comics in 24 hours. =(

Sigh... getting old.

« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2010, 07:27 AM »
Orion, if it's THAT specific day the problem, start a day before, and submit right when the battle is up!
By air

« Reply #19 on: Sep 22, 2010, 07:36 AM »
Orion, if it's THAT specific day the problem, start a day before, and submit right when the battle is up!

Well, it's more in general that the next few weeks are really going to be a hassle ,and I am not doing as well as I would like in my classes anyway. I tend to not have a lot of free time most days and when I do it has to be filled with school work. Studying two subjects that involve a lot of studio time really puts a damper on all time you have. Still it will be after finals and I do have more time on Friday then any other, plus it doesn't say that we have a performance that day.... so maybe I could do something.

I'll have to get back to you all but I am leaning...
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2010, 07:38 AM by Orion »

« Reply #20 on: Sep 22, 2010, 07:47 AM »
This seems like a pretty cool idea. I look forward to reading all the cool 24 hour comics on sunday. Break a leg, guys!

« Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2010, 07:58 AM »
TEMPTATION TEMPTATION TEMPTATION.

I'm going to a housewarming party that day. But we'll probably end up drinking and artjamming.

D:

« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:42 AM »
i was just talking about how i wanted to do a 24 hour comic this year, but i'm going away the weekend of the 2nd.  hmm hmm hmm

« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2010, 09:01 AM »
I'll probably be visiting my parents that same weekend, for brazillian elections in the sunday, but even so I'm bringing several sheets of paper and ink!
By air

« Reply #24 on: Sep 22, 2010, 09:12 AM »
I work that day :( I got to either choose to have my birthday off or get this Saturday off so I obviously chose the former since I can't take several weekend days off
Kittens wearins mittens

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

423 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 580.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us