Month of the Dead 2010?

Yes
50 (80.6%)
No
12 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Re: Month of the Dead 2010?
« Reply #25 on: Aug 10, 2010, 05:20 AM »
But, I am assuming MOTD will happen, so can we place some sort of cut off on the matches?  It's Month of the Dead, not Two Months of the Dead.  People shouldn't be cheating the event that let's them cheat.
Are you saying MOTD matches should begin AND END within the month of October?  Because that can be arranged.

I'm actually leaning toward not doing it, despite the overwhelming majority of votes in favor.

For me, it's not about 'death matches don't mean anything anymore' and more about doing something new.  I'm always striving for whatever is fresh and new, not just with VOID specifically, but in stories, games, movies, TV... everything.

Month of the Dead feels like rehashing the past, which is sometimes alright, but we have better ideas out there for things to do this year.  One's being discussed on the admin board now.  Annual SDTs don't fall into the rehash category for me because it (typically) forces everyone to create new characters.

I still have no interest in doing another Resurrection tournament, but SDTs are such fun, and the demand is so high, I think we'll always find somewhere to work it in.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #26 on: Aug 10, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Yes, make the comics have to end in the month of October. There were a few people that set up battles the last day last time
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:45 AM »
But, I am assuming MOTD will happen, so can we place some sort of cut off on the matches?  It's Month of the Dead, not Two Months of the Dead.  People shouldn't be cheating the event that let's them cheat.
Are you saying MOTD matches should begin AND END within the month of October?  Because that can be arranged.

I'm actually leaning toward not doing it, despite the overwhelming majority of votes in favor.

For me, it's not about 'death matches don't mean anything anymore' and more about doing something new.  I'm always striving for whatever is fresh and new, not just with VOID specifically, but in stories, games, movies, TV... everything.

Month of the Dead feels like rehashing the past, which is sometimes alright, but we have better ideas out there for things to do this year.  One's being discussed on the admin board now.  Annual SDTs don't fall into the rehash category for me because it (typically) forces everyone to create new characters.

I still have no interest in doing another Resurrection tournament, but SDTs are such fun, and the demand is so high, I think we'll always find somewhere to work it in.

That is exactly what I meant.  The last match for MOTD ended close to Mid-December last year.  That is little much.

Something new instead would be great.  Most events should be a one time deal.  I mean, I'd LOVE to see some King of Monsters or Heavyweight, but something fresh and new would probably be better.

« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:46 AM »
Can I change my vote to the no side?

« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2010, 11:44 AM »
Can I change my vote to the no side?
Now you can

...I mean, I'd LOVE to see some King of Monsters or Heavyweight, but something fresh and new would probably be better.
Shh, you'll ruin my surprise!

I've actually got an idea for Heavy Weight that, I think, WOULD make it fresh.  But that'll be next year
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #30 on: Aug 10, 2010, 02:14 PM »
Matches should be set up the first week of October..... and then set up so that they go live for voting 7 days before Halloween. That way, they ALL end ON Halloween, and within October.

Can't make the "dead"line? Don't sign up.

« Reply #31 on: Aug 10, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Can't make the "dead"line? Don't sign up.

That's horrible.

« Reply #32 on: Aug 10, 2010, 04:13 PM »
I dont think rigidifying the parameters of MOTD would make it better, Making all the battles end on a holiday (regardless of start time) would be FUCKING cool but I dont think we should do it again this year if it means  doing a new event.

However, I was under the assumption that MOTD was a well established tradition...
Can't we have another event happening on top of it since MOTD isn't exactly a mandatory set up ?

A halloween themed battle royale, or void wide holiday comes to mind.

I always wondered if voiders just went out as normal people on Halloween.

« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2010, 04:15 PM by Monday »

« Reply #33 on: Aug 10, 2010, 04:15 PM »
I dont think rigidifying the parameters of MOTD would make it better, but I dont think we should do it again this year if it means  doing a new event.

I'd rather have it next year if it meant we didn't have a rigid MotD.

« Reply #34 on: Aug 11, 2010, 01:11 AM »
How can it be a tradition?  It's only been done twice.

« Reply #35 on: Aug 11, 2010, 03:40 AM »
How can it be a tradition?  It's only been done twice.

In internet time that's more than enough for tradition to be established. So few things can last more than 30 days on the internet. :(

« Reply #36 on: Aug 11, 2010, 08:29 AM »
I vote for no, despite having enjoyed it a lot the first time it happened.

I know each person has a different understanding of Void, but to me each character is meant to have a distinct type of storytelling, or so is what I tried with my characters: Delanna - story driven blabla character, Pothole - Comedy, action, varied, Anthropos - Horror comics.

That said, you don't need to wait for an october to come back to make horror comics, or whatever was you character used to do. Just create a new guy and do it again any other 11 months of the year. Actually - create a character that's completely different from your dead person. Void's strongest quality is to allow you to experiment.
By air

« Reply #37 on: Aug 11, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Jumping right from the gun, I voted YES, keep it.  BUT, after reading people's thoughts and thinking for a moment myself, I change that vote to NO!

Thinking about it, things that happen every year like clockwork with no change could hurt a site like Void, where every few weeks someone gets a new Idea for a new tourny or event.  Stuff like SDT happen every year, but they are always slightly different, and have new themes.  MotD can't really be switched up like that.  And Last year, while I campaigned for MotD super hard, it was a very disappointing month, with MotD battles ending in December just pissed me off.  It was just taking advantage of a loop hole and didn't even produce some good comics. 

Lets kick that out and try something new this year, or make MotD more rigid so people can't take advantage of it and become more selective on what they do with that time.  Maybe that would inspire better work, but I'm sure it wouldn't.

« Reply #38 on: Aug 11, 2010, 02:22 PM »
I'm curious - of the people that have voted "Yes", how many are planning to participate and how many just want to see the dead come back again?

« Reply #39 on: Aug 11, 2010, 02:31 PM »
I voted yes. Mostly because I like to see some of the dead characters come back again and battle. I also would like to try and make Sodah vs Moa Goetia happen, but I still don't even know what my plans are going to be like on October or if Red's up for it. So I can't say for sure that I'll participate.

However, like others.... after reading the comments, I think I changed my mind. I think I would much rather have something new happen for the month of October...

« Reply #40 on: Aug 11, 2010, 03:05 PM »
I voted yes, and I would DEFINITELY battle during MotD if it did happen. Without a doubt.

But if it's replaced with some cool event, I'd be fine without MotD.

I was looking forward to this years MotD though, because I missed last years due to no internet. :(

« Reply #41 on: Aug 11, 2010, 03:25 PM »
I would if I could but I can't.  I didn't cast a vote as a result, because I don't count.

SAAAAD FAAAACE.

« Reply #42 on: Aug 11, 2010, 04:31 PM »
I'm curious - of the people that have voted "Yes", how many are planning to participate and how many just want to see the dead come back again?

I don't have a dead character but there was someone I was thinking about battling. But my schedule is unpredictable so I don't know if I'll be able to so I shouldn't count. I voted yes because as long as more people do comics I don't care why.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #43 on: Aug 11, 2010, 04:47 PM »
I voted yes because Soldat owes Polar Pal a rematch and I was gonna try to sucker Veronika Roch into a fight with Red Rabbit.  I guess not.

« Reply #44 on: Aug 11, 2010, 05:03 PM »
I voted yes on the grounds that I wanted to do something with Sweet Itch besides a BB. However, if there's a better tournament/event to replace it for the year or any other year, then who cares?

« Reply #45 on: Aug 11, 2010, 05:14 PM »
I voted yes because I'd really like to participate.

« Reply #46 on: Aug 11, 2010, 06:07 PM »
I voted yes on the grounds that I wanted to do something with Sweet Itch besides a BB. However, if there's a better tournament/event to replace it for the year or any other year, then who cares?

I agree, BUT, if it was replaced with a tourney or event match, then not everyone could participate. With MotD, they're still just regular battles, you just get to see old (dead) faces.

And also, on a previous note, I'm not sure MotD really diminishes the severity of death matches. I mean, I really miss Ashley, but I was stupid enough to enter a character I really liked into SDT, and I've payed for it. I can't do battles with him (I can certainly do Beyond Battles, but really, that's not as fun, in my opinion). I'm paying the price.

I don't really care either way. I'll still end up doing stuff.

« Reply #47 on: Aug 11, 2010, 06:14 PM »

I am planning on participating if I can! I'd like to do a proper Straps battle that isn't a beyond battle and has what I've learned since SDT to do it, and possibly fight characters I'd never get a chance to fight otherwise. There are so many cool dead characters that I wish I could have a chance to fight =(. It really all depends though now for me if I can get my computer working since making comics and not having a place at my house here to get stuff going and colour and stuff as I would like is irritating the hell out of me right now haha.

But yes, I would love to participate. I almost wish I made a character I didn't end up finding I could have much more potential to do stuff with until they were dead. Oh well! I have a cool character now, but it would still be nice.

« Reply #48 on: Aug 11, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Let's make MotD a special match type then, that only unlocks from the 3rd week to the end of September,
and the matches must all end on the 30th of October?

but then I don't have any dead guys yet...

« Reply #49 on: Aug 11, 2010, 08:13 PM »

but then I don't have any dead guys yet...

But that's the OTHER side of the story that hasn't been discussed in this topic yet ( I think). The other side of MotD is for people to face dead characters they enjoyed reading comic from in the past. They would never have a chance otherwise. Take Fowlie for example. Fowlie, I hope you don't mind me using you as an example. Fowlie has shown major interest in battling my character Ashley. She even said she'd like to face him during the Month of the Dead. Without MotD, she wouldn't be able to battle him.

It's only partially about using your dead characters again... the other part is getting to battle other people's dead characters. :D

right?

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

303 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us