Month of the Dead 2010?

Yes
50 (80.6%)
No
12 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Re: Month of the Dead 2010?
« Reply #50 on: Aug 11, 2010, 08:15 PM »
I voted Yes and would like to participate - my Dipuc Beyond Battle should be finished by then, and I'm still in the mood to draw him!

« Reply #51 on: Aug 12, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Yes! yes!!!! Do it! MotD brings out a different fire in folks... do it do it!!

« Reply #52 on: Aug 12, 2010, 01:59 PM »
Wait are we asking for a tourney or just to keep the tradition of the MotD alive (no pun intended)?
The reason I ask is because I know the winner of the tourney gets to be revitalized, right?

I think either way, it shouldn't be a problemo seeing as though only ONE character is brought back to life/activity.
I agree with Phil; like the edginess of one risking the livelihood and existence adds to the thrill of the viewers, real talk. And the fact that that said character is GONE makes it all the more bittersweet.

I def voted yes (if I hadn't mentioned earlier)

« Reply #53 on: Aug 12, 2010, 04:09 PM »
I voted yes, and planned on doing some comics with my dead guys,

However after reading this thread, I realize that my shitty comic in December last year pissed people off.
So maybe not... you guys have a point.
But Dure's half was good. I don't think all the M.O.T.D. comics were shit last year.
Some people did cool comics like Mamorus I remember, using the M.O.T.D. as a clever story device.
I think it can be used to make new and good things, or it can also just be fuckaroundfun comics.
It all depends on how you wield it.

I believe it should happen again, maybe with some restrictions.. I agree that the battles should be started earlier so that they all end in October for example.  And maybe have it every other year if not annually....

Regardless, it is clear that the community will not agree one way or the other...I am even internally torn due to Phil's argument of Death matches losing impact. However I still lean toward yes as I am biased and like my dead characters.  :-\
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2010, 04:22 PM by JoshuaEliGilley »

« Reply #54 on: Aug 12, 2010, 05:12 PM »
To be quite honest, MOTD is cool and all, and I mean its fun that alive characters can battle dead ones. ( for interesting story possibilities)

But I liked the SRT so so SO much better, I would jump on that hard core. And I know six would. (though probably not with Ivan no matter how much I made sad faces at him)

« Reply #55 on: Aug 12, 2010, 05:55 PM »

but then I don't have any dead guys yet...

But that's the OTHER side of the story that hasn't been discussed in this topic yet ( I think). The other side of MotD is for people to face dead characters they enjoyed reading comic from in the past. They would never have a chance otherwise. Take Fowlie for example. Fowlie, I hope you don't mind me using you as an example. Fowlie has shown major interest in battling my character Ashley. She even said she'd like to face him during the Month of the Dead. Without MotD, she wouldn't be able to battle him.

It's only partially about using your dead characters again... the other part is getting to battle other people's dead characters. :D

right?

Man, yeah.  If MotD did happen this year I would make time to battle Qyz ahaha.

« Reply #56 on: Aug 13, 2010, 12:42 PM »
There's no reason NOT to have it. That would be ludicrous and simply STUPID. It brings out activity because there is a set timeline ppl can use their characters and even allows old members to return. We had a heavy turn out last year.

« Reply #57 on: Aug 13, 2010, 01:08 PM »
Out of all the points I've read thus far, I would have to agree with Nachte the most on this. As cool as Month of the Dead is, I would much rather have a Speed Resurrection Tournament because it has more purpose. Fighting for the right to live seems less arbitrary and more challenging/within the vein of enterVOID's atmosphere than dead characters getting a free, month long pass to battle whoever before they're unable to be used in any other time-frame of the year.

I voted "Yes" because I do agree with promoting more site-wide activity and reasons to make comics, but I may withdraw that vote because there are very strong counter-arguments (especially a point raised by Phil) about the overall significance and impact of the Death Match. Not sure if I'd be totally against MotD happening, though, so I can't vote "No" with honest intention.

Whether I'd battle for MotD this year really depends on how my college schedule will look, but if it'll happen, I'll try to make time for it.

« Reply #58 on: Aug 13, 2010, 01:24 PM »
That's a shame. Yours was the dead character I wanted to play with this halloween, but I wanted to have a couple more comics to show before I asked so I wouldn't simply be laughed at. I really like your work, I was looking at some of it yesterday.

Dunno how much weight my opinion carries, but I'd like to see a speed resurrection tournament. Returning from the dead would be a pretty impressive thing to add to a character's resume, and a lot of characters died well before I knew this site existed, so it would be cool to see.

« Reply #59 on: Aug 13, 2010, 01:55 PM »
Since it's been brought up more than once - At one point we were talking about only doing a Speed Resurrection Tournament once every three years.  Currently, there are no plans for another, but we're still dealing with this year.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #60 on: Aug 13, 2010, 02:26 PM »
I find MoTD interesting most of all because of the matches that wouldn't be possible normally.  Like Flintlocke vs Flint Locke or Leviathan vs Kid Atom, and basically other matchups from characters who couldn't be used outside of tourneys.  As well as the meetings between older more appreciated characters and some of the newer ones. 

I won't use my own comics as examples because they were fucking terrible and would serve the argument against MoTD.  But I'm not gonna apologize either for abusing the deadline.  If such opportunities present themselves of course I'll take it.

I don't know what will take the place of MoTD but I suppose as long as it's equally memorable that's something.

« Reply #61 on: Aug 13, 2010, 03:04 PM »
I'll toss in another yes, but I do very much so like that time frame idea. No matter when the match begins, all MotD matches must posted on Holloween. It just makes sense to me. (yeah, i'm one of those that abused the opportunity and botched it up last year, so I won't feel bad if you do give any weight to my opinion; but if you do, this is it. XD )

« Reply #62 on: Aug 13, 2010, 05:59 PM »
Anything that has the potential to bring back dead character/older members back is good in my book. I'd prefer an SRT over a MOTD.

Perhaps a schedule that'll allow alternations every year? Like one year be SRT, another year be MOTD and then like. I dunno carnage scar match tournament. Rinse and repeat cycle? I'd say SDT but that's become a yearly tradition and it'd be a shame to see it not happen for a year. Its also a shame October is such a weird month because people are starting school up again and you may get a good number of people participating but not a good outcome as far as comics being produced.

« Reply #63 on: Aug 13, 2010, 08:32 PM »
That's a shame. Yours was the dead character I wanted to play with this halloween, but I wanted to have a couple more comics to show before I asked so I wouldn't simply be laughed at. I really like your work, I was looking at some of it yesterday.

Wat? Someone actually wanted to battle Adonis? (Funny, 'cause I just updated his design sheet, too) Thanks dude, I'm flattered that you like my stuff.

Also, I think you misread what I said, I said I would definitely try to see if I can make time for MotD IF it happens this year. Nowhere did I say I refuse to participate in such an event.

« Reply #64 on: Aug 13, 2010, 09:16 PM »
I can see how having an annual speed resurrection tournament may be a bit too often and cheapens the death of characters (I never understood why people cried when people died in Dragon Ball because they were coming back from the dead every other episode), still, I do think that MotD is a fun thing to mess around with. I think I echo the majority in saying that there should be a MotD but all battles involving dead characters should be finished before November starts.

« Reply #65 on: Aug 15, 2010, 09:05 AM »

I'd say SDT but that's become a yearly tradition and it'd be a shame to see it not happen for a year.

Wasn't SDT on hold for a couple of years?  Between the last one and the one before it?

« Reply #66 on: Aug 15, 2010, 09:53 AM »

I'd say SDT but that's become a yearly tradition and it'd be a shame to see it not happen for a year.

Wasn't SDT on hold for a couple of years?  Between the last one and the one before it?

One year.  I think the plan was to alternate with SRT every third year, which people tend to think of as a part of SDT.  People also tend to think of KoM and Sentai as a part of SDT.  So, in that sense it's like none were missed.

« Reply #67 on: Aug 15, 2010, 12:10 PM »
I think we learned not to take a year off SDT ever again since so many people were upset it didn't happen and it's always such a big crowd pleaser.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #68 on: Aug 24, 2010, 05:26 PM »
oooooooooooooo what about:

love battles- on valentines day
or
dream battles- your character dreaming about anything (sleeping)
or
movie battles- a battle vs your fave character, show or movie

what do ya think??
The pen tool is my friend, and the instrument of the soul, pastels are the color of my life.

« Reply #69 on: Aug 24, 2010, 05:52 PM »
You can do those whenever you want.

Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #71 on: Oct 04, 2010, 11:19 AM »
I'm assuming a Month of the Dead tournament where the winner gets to come back to life and be active again is an idea that's already been discussed to death.

Hah

« Reply #72 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:02 PM »
I'm assuming a Month of the Dead tournament where the winner gets to come back to life and be active again is an idea that's already been discussed to death.

Hah
That's Speed Resurrection Tourney.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2010, 12:52 PM by William_Duel »

« Reply #73 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Cool, the more you know

« Reply #74 on: Oct 10, 2010, 04:23 PM »
I noticed no one gave a real final verdict on the matter and I know some people may still be unaware about it. Month of the Dead isn't happening this year. If for whatever reason you were wanting to use your dead characters, The 2010 All-Together Now! Tournament is your best substitute this year.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

249 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 280.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us