Here's the Beard!

Re: Here's the Beard!
« Reply #50 on: Jun 18, 2011, 07:55 AM »
New stuff, couple supporting characters for a new idea I'm bouncing around.

« Reply #51 on: Jul 16, 2011, 03:01 PM »
Hey guys, some new characters in the same series as the others above. Still adjusting designs, but been using these to practice my coloring as well as try new style approaches.

Tested my ability with blacks on this one. I like it, but I don't feel it's the approach I'm going to take. More tests needed, maybe with the other characters to see how it fits.

Thanks for stoppin'!

« Reply #52 on: Jul 16, 2011, 05:28 PM »
A new sketch of the witch character above. Still trying to figure out her feet... Getting there.

« Reply #53 on: Jul 20, 2011, 09:58 AM »
Wow, these are looking great- very different from your Sketchy comics. Would you be willing to talk some more about what the comic's about?

« Reply #54 on: Jul 20, 2011, 11:44 AM »
first, great design on witchy wood woman.....love some of your choices

these may help you continue to work out the design;

I'd personally suggest going either this route( stayed away from the pun there ) or going all gnarly branchy rooty on both the hands and the feet...you appear to be leaning towards that in yer sketch as opposed to the colour test

....and just an extra note..more personal preference really...she screams out to have a different inking style....somthing approximating a brush or a quill pen (since you seem to prefer working digitally)
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2011, 11:52 AM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #55 on: Jul 21, 2011, 08:19 PM »
Thanks for the references, Wei! She's definitely becoming more twisted and wicked in design the more I draw her. I think at first I wanted to have more of a flowerly influence in her design, not pretty flowers, of course. But looking at these, a more tree like route seems more ideal.

Theo -
The basic idea is this: There is a plane of existence between "Life" and "Death" that our conscious energy (ie: soul) temporarily inhabits after our physical body can no longer support it. It is then processed to serve a greater purpose in the grand scheme of the universe.

The story will be about the inhabitants of Sundrop, a town set in this plane. This town, styled as a small desert town, is a place for souls to wait while they are processed by the greater forces at work. The warden, a former old west icon, and his small group of companions, live there to help shelter and guide the newly dead until their time to move on.

I'm trying to build it as open as possible so that the range of story possibilities is great. I don't have a grander plot for it all at the moment, not sure it will have one. Rather I want the stories to exist independently, the focus resting on the four main characters, their interactions, their histories, and their adventures. Character studies as well as thought experiments on life, death, and the workings of the universe.

Ok, so maybe that's not so basic, haha. But that IS the general idea, without getting deep into the characters themselves and the specific tales I am planning.

Anyway, I've invaded your eyeballs long enough, thanks for lookin'! More art soon!

« Reply #56 on: Jul 22, 2011, 06:19 AM »
well.....if you wanna go out there...you could keep the 'tree' theme and still have flowers and even fruits....maybe reflective of the seasons....and still keep her all gnarly and branch-y

like an apricot tree or a hawthorn.....or perhaps more suitably a crabapple tree

or you could throw a japanese cherry tree into the mix
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2011, 09:09 AM by Wei Ingnan »

« Reply #57 on: Jul 24, 2011, 08:01 PM »
I guess when I said "Flower Influence" I meant on her body as a whole. I was imagining something of an upside-down flower, her body was the stem, and her lower half/legs were the pedals. I've definitely shifted that vison tho, in building her back story and talking a bit to Ponbiki recently. He actually suggested a really clever solution for her leg issue that actually works out really well, and I'll be looking at adopting on the next revision. There's still her "hair" tho, I could definitely incorporate some flowery texture in there, tho they'd most likely be dead and withered ones. Gotta keep it creepy!

Speaking of revisions, here's another pass at "The Professor":

Thanks for stoppin'!

« Reply #58 on: Jul 24, 2011, 08:50 PM »
hey, fella. your site was blocked by AVG for some reason. was hoping to see more of the strips you have here. Are they at your site or someplace else?

I'm not really a great artist so I can't offer you much in any way anyone else here can't. But storywise, check into Dead Like Me for your most recent efforts. Yours is *nothing* like it but they share a similar idea in a very shallow way. Maybe you can find some inspiration in some fashion.
I'm not always lazy... sometimes I'm procrastinating.
http://scruffyscribbler.deviantart.com

« Reply #59 on: Jul 25, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Hey scruffs, sorry about the site. I kinda gave up on trying to find the problem a while ago. Everytime I'd upload new code, it would keep getting corrupted. Anyway, I parsed off the comics to their own section, seems to be unaffected: http://beardedmenace.com/comic/

Oh yeah, I've seen Dead Like Me. Good show, kinda became less so as time went on, but that's pretty much how it goes. But yeah, definitely dug it.

« Reply #60 on: Jul 26, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Nother revision of the Witch. Getting close, I think.

Enjoy!

« Reply #61 on: Jul 27, 2011, 05:56 AM »
just to continue my trend;
for the professor google goggle 'frogmouth owl'....they might give you some ideers for the design for 'The Professor"

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

298 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us