The Void Invitational!

Re: The Void Invitational!
« Reply #325 on: Jul 14, 2010, 10:54 PM »
You're very impressive. If your writing is as entertaining as your art is... Good?... If your... If the quality of your writing is as high as the quality of your art (close enough) then a lot of us are in trouble.

« Reply #326 on: Jul 15, 2010, 12:28 AM »
I'm glad I saw this because both my characters are dead and I've been thinking of making a new one.

Im currently in France learning animation from a mime, and i wont get back until the 24th ish:

Are you at Gobelins?  I was there last summer for Animation classes and Robert Bennett (the mime) was amazing. 
Yes! Hes really awesome

« Reply #327 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Sorry to be pestering everybody with yet more questions, but a thought occurred to me while I was thinking about intro story pages for Salvo.

Is there a canonical explanation for this tourney or is the concept of the tournament external to the world of Void and instead we have just a series of unrelated battles?

If it's left up to us to decide together what we'd like, i'd like to mention that I find the idea of a canonical explanation quite appealing and i'm willing to help create one if everyone would like it.

So, how is this tourney going to go down?

« Reply #328 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:36 PM »
You can pretty much do whatever.  It isn't rare for artists to get together and try to share elements and continuity.  The general rule is that everyone does whatever the fuck they want.  In my personal opinion, I think it's cool when there's a shared story.

« Reply #329 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:55 PM »
Might I humbly volunteer myself for spearheading the development of such a thing? :3

Also, would this forum be the best place to communicate an idea, or would i need to contact each artist separately?
I'd personally prefer if I could just place an idea here and if enough people like it, then it could be displayed on the first post alongside the character roster.

« Reply #330 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:14 PM »
You could always start your own thread and see if there are any takers or if people will contact you.

« Reply #331 on: Jul 15, 2010, 11:25 PM »
That sounds like a good idea. I'll cook something up and then i'll post it up in a new thread.

I'll contact everyone individually but i'll also post a link here for everyone to follow once it's ready to pitch.

« Reply #332 on: Jul 16, 2010, 06:11 AM »
well sounds like a good enough idea, but some people may have troubles trying to fit a continuous story into their own with only a week to work on it

« Reply #333 on: Jul 16, 2010, 06:20 AM »
Well I'd be up for it, as soon as I turn my stuff in.

« Reply #334 on: Jul 16, 2010, 06:21 AM »
It's best to put emphasis on the art & story, because a good comic is a good comic.
If it ties into all your other comics, great. If it doesn't, great. Continuity's cool, but don't feel you HAVE to connect all the dots. So long as the primary focus is the work at hand, it's your perogative to utilize canon or not. Hell, you don't even need to have it take place in the city. Void City's a option, not a stipulation.

« Reply #335 on: Jul 16, 2010, 09:15 AM »
Voila!

I have concocted a rather simple but humorous possible canonical explanation as to what the deal is with this tourney.

Everybody check it out and let me know what you think:
http://entervoid.com/board/index.php?topic=11339.msg191518#msg191518

Also, does anyone think i should try contacting every artist separately or should i just wait for some feedback either here or on the thread i made?

« Reply #336 on: Jul 16, 2010, 10:45 AM »
I'm about 90% sure that not every artist is going to want to go with a shared tournament idea, no matter how great. Some people just prefer having more freedom. I also think that at least half of the ones who don't want to will simply ignore any private contact rather than coming right out and telling you they don't want to, but just cause it's human nature for some to shy away from confrontation. Meaning, if you do try to contact everyone privately I'm guessing about half of them won't respond either because they're too lazy, they don't have any input, or they don't want to do a tournament story at all. So my vote would be to just do it in that thread you made. You can contact people privately once you know they're interested if you have any secret details to work out.

« Reply #337 on: Jul 16, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Yeah disregard my previous post. I'm actually kind of ashamed of how dumb and unimaginative my idea was now.

I'll leave my previous post unaltered so people can still navigate to the page though, there seems to more conversation still happening there.

« Reply #338 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:44 PM »
BAM! Here a little comicy thingy to get into things. Its to show some more of Beef's personality for a better reference story wise. HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE IT

ALSO starring 2 of my favorite VOID veterans, Ben and Nova.

PS: it should be noted that i do indeed suck with backgrounds and will try to improve it with every comic (not that i can guarantee that XD)

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2010, 01:48 PM by otamie »

« Reply #339 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:53 PM »
Ben's a veteran now :o Cute comic.

Don't be so hard on yourself Jimmy, it was a valiant effort.

« Reply #340 on: Jul 16, 2010, 04:00 PM »
It is a cool comic. Always nice to reveal a little more about a character.

« Reply #341 on: Jul 16, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Nova loves apples. <3

« Reply #342 on: Jul 17, 2010, 03:09 PM »
haha this makes me like beef even more, this is a good idea! Might help make battles easier if we can get inside their heads a lil bit (i know itll help me)

i'll throw up a little somethin' about Pico, too
an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs

« Reply #343 on: Jul 17, 2010, 09:15 PM »
For the new folks - I'm curious how you got here.

I know quite a few people have been sending out invitations to artists they've had an eye on.  But we've also made announcements on various websites.  So how did you find out about our tournament?  Please share.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #344 on: Jul 17, 2010, 09:44 PM »
I found out about void almost a year ago after I found Lysol jones on Deviantart. For that last year I've just been coming here every now and again to read the comics. This tournament seemed like a good chance to get in to void and start making comics.

« Reply #345 on: Jul 17, 2010, 10:17 PM »
Good thing too. Hope to face your character sometime in the future

« Reply #346 on: Jul 17, 2010, 10:42 PM »
Well I've known about VOID for a while...since Airlight joined here actually! Only unlike him I was too scared to join in on the fun and didn't do any comics or comic battles until last year on War For Arcadia...after a year of lurking there too haha. So anyway when the SDT rolled around I joined in that since I felt a little more confident, and now I'm joining in on this cause I feel even more confident than when the SDT was hitting. So yeah...thats that!

Edit: Submitted to the main site! Intro pages and all. : D
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2010, 12:10 AM by Orange »

« Reply #347 on: Jul 18, 2010, 04:08 AM »
I've known about Void for a long time, i think since i found out that M.E.Charm from DeviantArt (his account is now shut down, he's disappeared it seems) was on here involved in an SD Tourney. After that i pretty much lurked for a long time, off and on.

I've always considered getting an account here and trying my hand at battling but i've never had the confidence for it.

Then one day i decided to just draw a character i was thinking about using on EnterVoid in a piece i submitted to DeviantArt, just for the hell of it, but i never actually decided on entering it to the website or even considered it very strongly.

Then Angieness commented on the piece, told me about the invitational and linked me this thread, so now here i am.

EDIT:
One thing i'd like to inquire about before i forget; i actually forgot to put a link to my gallery inside my bio that i submitted for Salvo on the entervoid site. I do have a link on my entry in this thread though, but I can't seem to locate any options for fixing my error on my site submission.

I bring this up because the rules for the tourney indicate that gallery links have to be in the site submissions for characters. Could anyone please let me know: how i can go about making this simple alteration, or do i not need to?
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2010, 04:27 AM by JimValid »

« Reply #348 on: Jul 18, 2010, 05:38 AM »
I'd been thinking about joining Void FOREVER. I've actually had an account on Void so old that the join date hadn't been recorded haha. I never did anything with that account though, except write a really embarrassing bio of myself. (I was like 14...)

Anyways I heard about this tournament on zsabreuser's DeviantART journal and it made me wanna come back and see if I could actually do Void for real this time. That's it! Pretty boring story...

« Reply #349 on: Jul 18, 2010, 08:45 AM »
Regrettably I can't recall who was responsible. I can tell you that a little over a month ago while I was having a random "look at the newest submissions in deviantart and see if any catch my fancy, if not, refresh the page" session, I saw someone's comic. I gave it a look and in their author's comments they mentioned they had made it for this site. I normally would have moved on but I was in a curious mood and decided to check it out. Angie was the one who told me I should act on the tournament.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 14, 2024, 09:08 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

164 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 176.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us