The Void Invitational!

Re: The Void Invitational!
« Reply #100 on: Jun 30, 2010, 10:49 AM »
[
It can't be a comics site without comics though. If we're nixing the intro pages for this tourney, then hopefully the artists will all provide banging comic pages. If one of them instead gives us nothing, how's it unfair to ask for some actual comic pages before officially becoming active? Like I said, this whole thing's an opportunity. If they can't capitalize on that opportunity, they're not penalized, they'll just have to go through the proper channels. Others have been doing it for a while now, & so will those stumbling onto Void in the weeks following.

Besides...

... why hold such a tourney if we're only expecting people to sign up, not do anything, & never come back?

Also, I thought there was a thread in the incubator that was setup for that intended purpose, but no one was using it.

Because some people WILL come back. Not all of them. We can't expect every flower to bloom. We're expecting to get new people an additional audience. You know what happens to people who default and never turn stuff in? They have low ranks and bad scores. We don't need to babysit them.

People know who they'll want to fight and who not to fight. If someone doesn't turn in, no one will want to fight them. We don't need to instill additional discouragement and control what other people are using the site for.

Even if they never submit, they might bring it up with their friends, who might be REALLY interested. No one new is talking about Void. It's become very inclusive. It's like how a country's population is low and getting lower because no one is reproducing. We should worry about the comics that are submitted, and not just if people ARE going to submit.

And Cherubas, I really like the point you just made. That's exactly what I'm getting at. We're giving outsiders this awful "NO MISTAKES EVER" impression.

Yes, the real world is all "DO THIS OR ELSE", but jeez, this is a comic's hobby site on the internet.

« Reply #101 on: Jun 30, 2010, 10:53 AM »
The guys who make a character just to have one and default on their very first battle, fine, throw them to the dogs and do whatever, but this whole "if someone defaults at any point" business is too much in my opinion. Just throwing in my two cents.

I'm primarily talking about that initial round too. I'm not against "AT ANY POINT" but not about to start rallying for it either. I still don't see how just asking them provide us what's usually asked of them is "throwing them to the dogs" though.

« Reply #102 on: Jun 30, 2010, 10:55 AM »
The guys who make a character just to have one and default on their very first battle, fine, throw them to the dogs and do whatever, but this whole "if someone defaults at any point" business is too much in my opinion. Just throwing in my two cents.

I'm primarily talking about that initial round too. I'm not against "AT ANY POINT" but not about to start rallying for it either. I still don't see how just asking them provide us what's usually asked of them is "throwing them to the dogs" though.

Who cares about the first round? It just means they don't get further in the tournament, their scores suffer, and they lost. That's plenty. They try to do another comic and fuck up? There's 2 losses by default and more shit scores. If they're like that, no one is gonna fight them because they never turn in. We don't need to make them prove themselves. Don't associate not handing in comics with not being good. Remember Canaan? He never turns in, but he's talented and even has professional work.

« Reply #103 on: Jun 30, 2010, 11:06 AM »
I still really don't see what the big deal is, defaults happen, it's not the end of the world.

This whole tourney is to get people to come to Void and have a chance to just get in and experience in it. We have such a reputation of being hardass jerks and by proving that we're hardass jerks by taking away people's toys doesn't really help our image. I think this is one event where we should just be chill.

We also have a lack of new people, the approvals have been dry for a few months, anything to bring in some new people is great. Sucks if they drop the ball but hey, if they do an awesome comic down the line that's great.

If this was a super serious SDT or Arma or Heavy Weight or some other established event we hold in high regard, it would be different. But this is just a fun little tourney to get some new people in.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2010, 11:07 AM by angieness »
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #104 on: Jun 30, 2010, 11:11 AM »
Ok. Sorry for being a pessimist. Just worried about others down the line that would look at someone without intro pages & nothing but defaults & it discouraging them. If you really don't see it being a big deal than go ahead.

« Reply #105 on: Jun 30, 2010, 11:15 AM »
Ok. Sorry for being a pessimist. Just worried about others down the line that would look at someone without intro pages & nothing but defaults & it discouraging them. If you really don't see it being a big deal than go ahead.

It's no problem. It's always gonna happen. Remember GVSR? "HOW DID A RECTANGLE GET IN!?" I don't think it should be a problem. Relax Kuro. Have a soda.

« Reply #106 on: Jun 30, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Relax Kuro. Have a soda.

I will hold you to this soda.

« Reply #107 on: Jun 30, 2010, 11:18 AM »
It's cool, I mean defaults are probably gonna happen, it's inevitable in any tourney. But I think this is the one time we should just let it be
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #108 on: Jun 30, 2010, 11:25 AM »
I will hold you to this soda.

If you come to Chicago, I will present the soda in Hiemie's stead.

« Reply #109 on: Jun 30, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Ehh, so nervous. Hope I do this righhtt.. And sorry for lack of good comics....I have a bad inferiority complex when it comes to them so I have a tendency to not upload any that I do. (And crap I made the sheath to short OTL )

Sasa Geisbert, SasaGeisbert

dA: http://u8pp.deviantart.com/

F..Feedback always appreciated.
Screams in World Building

« Reply #110 on: Jun 30, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Something to consider for future reference is the lower half of the body feels a little stiff compared to the upper body, but it's nothing earth shattering that needs to be fixed right now. Looks good!
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #111 on: Jun 30, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Updated my post and submitted.

« Reply #112 on: Jun 30, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Something to consider for future reference is the lower half of the body feels a little stiff compared to the upper body, but it's nothing earth shattering that needs to be fixed right now. Looks good!

Ahh, alright. Thanks!
Screams in World Building

« Reply #113 on: Jun 30, 2010, 02:31 PM »
To my understanding we've already established that the more people sign up for this the longer it's going to take. If we end up with a lot of competitors and someone pops out two impressive comics in a row for the first two weeks and then on the third week his girlfriend dumps him, his mother dies, his computer explodes, and his sidekick is blown up by the Joker, he's still not allowed to default? I understand it's frowned upon and yeah, I'm not part of the family yet so my opinion may not carry more weight than a wet paper bag, but I also see there are people with several defaults who are already in. The guys who make a character just to have one and default on their very first battle, fine, throw them to the dogs and do whatever, but this whole "if someone defaults at any point" business is too much in my opinion. Just throwing in my two cents.

You make a good point. Good comics for 2 rounds and you win both and then life happens... does seem like punishment to take the character away. I didn't mean it that way. Plus I'm ALL FOR this tournament and really excited for it. I was just thinking about the beginning rounds mainly.
Do whatever, it was just a suggestion.
and Mishi your stuff looks SICK!

« Reply #114 on: Jun 30, 2010, 06:06 PM »
i've had a long enough break.

i'll post some pico shit tonight.  8)
an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs

« Reply #115 on: Jun 30, 2010, 06:09 PM »
SDT was all about the animals...THE INVITATIONAL IS ALL ABOUT THE SCARVES (neckwear)!!!  The strongest scarf in void!

« Reply #116 on: Jun 30, 2010, 06:39 PM »
You know what, how about fuck scarves.

I got a sudden urge to kill someone just now!

« Reply #117 on: Jun 30, 2010, 06:58 PM »
angie and various others said she'd beat me up if i didn't do this shit

so im GUNNA. I gotta get me comix vibe goin.

YEAH ANOTHER SCARF GUY BUT HE'S BEEN USING THAT SHIT SINCE 2005 SO LAY OFF

and to show that i can do comics, i have some comics from last year that pretty much still show where i'm at comix wise:

« Reply #118 on: Jun 30, 2010, 07:00 PM »
SAGEBY AND HEYZOOS MAKING MY LIFE LONG DREAMS COME TRUE
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #119 on: Jun 30, 2010, 07:00 PM »
radiophonics (9:58:52 PM):   gonna submit him now
radiophonics (9:59:00 PM):   so i just use the design sheet as his comics pages right
angieness9 (9:59:03 PM):   YESSSSSSSSS
radiophonics (9:59:04 PM):   aight
angieness9 (9:59:05 PM):   my dream has come true
radiophonics (9:59:08 PM):   :-)
radiophonics (9:59:19 PM):   greg completely blows angies expectations by submitting garbage comics
radiophonics (9:59:22 PM):   laughed off the stage
angieness9 (9:59:24 PM):   hahaha
radiophonics (9:59:31 PM):   angie why did you do this to me
radiophonics (9:59:38 PM):   greg found dead at his computer
angieness9 (9:59:42 PM):   I can't wait to see your comics
radiophonics (9:59:47 PM):   bottle of pills and half empty bourbon in hand
radiophonics (9:59:51 PM):   here lies greg
angieness9 (9:59:53 PM):   hahaha
radiophonics (9:59:55 PM):   peperony and chease

« Reply #120 on: Jun 30, 2010, 07:06 PM »
Yes my dream has come true

Roster updated on the main post, shit's getting exciting!
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #121 on: Jun 30, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Ah dang.... this makes me want to hurry up like NOW!

« Reply #122 on: Jun 30, 2010, 09:42 PM »
So many good entries so far... wish all my characters were dead so I could join!

« Reply #123 on: Jun 30, 2010, 09:51 PM »
So many good entries so far... wish all my characters were dead so I could join!

Let's do it Qyz!  I'll kill you first and then you can kill me.  We both win!

« Reply #124 on: Jun 30, 2010, 09:53 PM »
You know what, how about fuck scarves.
Heretic, it's all about the scarves!
Go and bathe in the blood of kittens to repent for your sinful soul!
"I knew when I sighned up for Void years ago, Someday I'm going to prison for this site"  - Mister Kent, words to live by

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

434 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 449.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us