FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here!

Re: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here!
« Reply #125 on: Jun 06, 2013, 08:43 AM »
As long as it's not a fan character or infringing on anyone Else's copyright, you can use any character you have already made. So a character from a comic you made would be fine, but not a character made for an on line game. For instance, my character Angela Rudell I used for years for my own stuff prior to Void. But I couldn't submit my WoW character as they belong to Blizzard.

What if I don't make references to the game at all? Or 'write around trademarks?'

For instance, if I change this character's story, could I theoretically submit him?
http://www.mediumsizedrobot.com/primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=Pokerface

We definitely encourage collaboration, it just has to be clear to your opponent WHO they are up against. Do you have a friend you were planning on collaborating with? What's your plan?

What I was thinking was a series of team-ups/collaborations with different artists and their characters, but those would probably be classified as "beyond battles".

I did like those tag team battles you guys had earlier this year. Maybe could do some of those.

« Reply #126 on: Jun 06, 2013, 09:28 AM »
No fan characters at all are allowed, just due to copyrights.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #127 on: Jun 06, 2013, 08:55 PM »
All right, back to the metaphorical drawing board then.

« Reply #128 on: Jun 06, 2013, 09:25 PM »
now hold on a second.  Adapting your online character to void is fine as long as you remove all references to the original game.  I noticed that it was a Champions online RP character and as long as the back story has nothing to do with Millennium City/Dr. Destroyer/anything else in the game, you can use the design.

Hell, my own character Bullet Princess had her humble beginnings as a Champions Online character.

TLDR:
For instance, if I change this character's story, could I theoretically submit him?

yes
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2013, 09:28 PM by Majikura »

« Reply #129 on: Jun 06, 2013, 09:50 PM »
And how much customization does Champions Online provide? If it's just a matter of you threw an outfit together that the game and the outfits exist in reality, that would be fine. However, if the designs are unique to the game like in something like World of Warcraft

it gets a little messier. The armor and weapon designs are clearly Blizzard's so I couldn't just straight up use those. Even though I got to choose what my character's hair looked like and what clothes she's wearing, obviously the armor itself is unique to the game.

If you were allowed to design everything yourself I could see it being okay. But if there is anything pre-done in there, you would need to heavily modify it.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #130 on: Jun 06, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Champions Online offers a HUGE amount of customisation. It's probably the game's best feature.

For instance, here's another character I made in it.

(I also made two robots, an alien and a Batman-type vigilante)

In fact, you should see what this guy does with the creator.

Man, if they made the character creator a separate program, it would be the perfect tool for character design. Make a model in 3D, then you can turn it around and get references from different angles!

« Reply #131 on: Jun 06, 2013, 10:25 PM »
I think in that case it's okay.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #132 on: Jun 06, 2013, 11:34 PM »
everyone submit ur saints row characters, saints row character speeddeath tournament 2014

« Reply #133 on: Jun 07, 2013, 03:17 AM »
everyone submit ur saints row characters, saints row character speeddeath tournament 2014

sign me up plz

« Reply #134 on: Jun 07, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Yeah.....I'm gonna have to go with....WTF!?.....WHY?
enterVOID is all about original material...so you need to take the opportunity to stretch your creative muscles...cuz there is a big difference between using 3rd party material because of your own shortcomings/inexperience and being lazy when designing a disposable character

We are as a community all about D.I.Y. and getting better by doing...so we don't approve of shortcuts....and we don't accept people trying to weasel around inadequacy
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2013, 09:14 AM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #135 on: Jun 07, 2013, 12:18 PM »
to clarify I was joking and my opinion is the same as wei's.

great, you have custom characters on an rpg server. Those are fun to make, but let's see what you can come up with on your own.

« Reply #136 on: Jun 07, 2013, 12:30 PM »

sign me up plz

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

« Reply #137 on: Jun 07, 2013, 12:44 PM »
Somehow i think my words were twisted in a way i did not intend.

I believe using the character creator is fine for getting inspiration for characters.  After all, you still have to draw the damn thing yourself.  That pokerface character had a good costume as far as using the in-game engine goes, but drawing it out yourself there's more to what you can add than what the creation system allows.

Whether the idea came from a generator, your own head, a coffee stain, it's still your idea.  And as long as there's no copyright violations it's fine.

TLDR

YOU STILL HAVE TO DRAW THE DAMN THING

« Reply #138 on: Jun 07, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Of course the in-game character is just a starting point. I already see a few ways he can be improved...

« Reply #139 on: Jul 11, 2013, 05:21 AM »
On the topic of copyrights..

Now, drawing a big-eared mouse with red trunks and call him "Mark Mouse" is gonna land you in a world of trouble.. but what are the rules about copyrighted characters /material being displayed in your comics? for example if a character wears a Mickey Mouse t-shirt or has a Mickey Mouse poster on his/her wall? What if your character gets knocked out and hallucinates meeting Superman? What if, for a one-shot comic, your character eats a lot of mushrooms and dresses up as Batman?

I guess what I am trying to say is: I understand that characters should be original but up to what point can we include "copyrighted material" in our comics? Or is it just off the table, period?

« Reply #140 on: Jul 11, 2013, 05:55 AM »

Now, drawing a big-eared mouse with red trunks and call him "Mark Mouse" is gonna land you in a world of trouble.. but what are the rules about copyrighted characters /material being displayed in your comics? for example if a character wears a Mickey Mouse t-shirt or has a Mickey Mouse poster on his/her wall? What if your character gets knocked out and hallucinates meeting Superman? What if, for a one-shot comic, your character eats a lot of mushrooms and dresses up as Batman?

I guess what I am trying to say is: I understand that characters should be original but up to what point can we include "copyrighted material" in our comics? Or is it just off the table, period?

I remember at the time when some of us were creating the EnterVOID anthology, we were specifically told to NOT put in any copyrighted material of any sort into our comics.

I think its due to the fact that the anthology was a profit-based product, and because of this you avoid copyrighted material at any costs to keep you out of trouble from the fat cats.

However, personally, because our webcomics here on enterVOID are not on the commercial market, they're free for anybody and everybody to read, I'd find it more acceptable to have copyrighted material in your work because you're not making any money from it - heck, it's essentially free advertising for them.

« Reply #141 on: Jul 11, 2013, 06:14 AM »

It's not off the table. Parodies are fine and legal. I would encourage everyone to try to avoid copyrighted material though. Most people swap out a brand name and create things like "Void bucks coffee". I would use copyrighted material sparingly and for parody purposes only.

So essentially... Mickey Mouse poster? Sure, whatever. Comic about Batman? Ehhh... maybe not.

« Reply #142 on: Jul 11, 2013, 08:15 AM »
Yeah, references are fine outside of the Void Anthology. The anthology is stricter because Ka-blam, the printer, is stricter.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #143 on: Aug 15, 2013, 09:48 AM »
Can a dead character, during the month of October, issue a death match challenge?

« Reply #144 on: Aug 15, 2013, 10:05 AM »
Can a dead character, during the month of October, issue a death match challenge?

Yup.

« Reply #145 on: Aug 15, 2013, 10:49 AM »

Yup.

But if the dead character kills another already dead character in a death match, what happens then? Do they die again? Are they DEAD dead? Double dead?

Will we do the impossible, see the invisible and PIERCE THE HEAVENS?!

« Reply #146 on: Aug 15, 2013, 10:53 AM »

Yup.

But if the dead character kills another already dead character in a death match, what happens then? Do they die again? Are they DEAD dead? Double dead?

Will we do the impossible, see the invisible and PIERCE THE HEAVENS?!

Yes, you the character will become "double dead". Next year, you will have the opportunity to become "triple dead". Only when you have achieved the rank of "quadruple dead" THEN you may then piece the heavens. Piercing the heavens before you have reached quadruple dead is strictly against the rules.

« Reply #147 on: Oct 08, 2013, 02:42 PM »
Hello! I have a question concerning characters--

I plan on creating a character team of 2 (possibly 4, depending on the answer to this query), and each character has a friend that I plan on cameo'ing often (though, for the purpose of comics and battles, they will not be the focus of storyline/comic). Because the 4 are closely related, I plan on putting the tag-alongs on the ref sheet and including some extra information in the biographies, however... Well, the 2 extra characters belong to some friends of mine-- I do have permission from both to use them on EnterVOID, however all drawing/writing/scripting on here will be done by me. I guess what I mean to ask is,  with permission is it alright for me to include these characters on EnterVOID despite the fact that my friends do not plan on participating themselves on the site artwise, how much detail about them would be acceptable for me to put onto the team profile, or should I simply treat it like a 4-man team?

« Reply #148 on: Oct 08, 2013, 03:16 PM »
Team characters are perfectly fine. As for permission for your friends' characters, as long as you have permission from your friends to use them, you'll be fine.

« Reply #149 on: Oct 08, 2013, 03:18 PM »
Yeah, as long as your friends' characters aren't part of the actual submission, you're good. Cameos are fine.
Kittens wearins mittens

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

TheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan DealbhaothTarkosDrawura

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 15, 2024, 12:08 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

93 Guests, 3 Users

Most Online Today: 121.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us