Art Junk - Inker Bait

Art Junk - Inker Bait
« on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:29 AM »
I can't find my original art thread and it's full of broken links and old crap anyway, so here's a new one and we'll just let the old one float into oblivion. XD

I need some inker feedback on this image. Shy-dog's stripes have been a problem since their conception and I've never figured out a viable way to tighten my pencils and give the inker an indication of where to ink, and where not to ink.

The stripes in this image are meant to not be inked in, so if any of you inkers could give me feedback I'd appreciate it.

Update: Edited out links because they were broken images. Sorry about that!

I'll be inking and coloring this myself later, but I guess if you want to use it for practice here's the large copy: X Some of the spaces in this image that look like they're supposed to be blacked in are actually not, follow the x's!

(Was definitely reading and thinking about Hellboy when I drew this.. I've come to the conclusion that on the unlikely day Shy-dog retires she'll find a crooked path to sit on and make a job out of telling people to go away)
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013, 01:17 AM by Kaelin »

Re: Art Junk - Inker Bait
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:16 AM »
I think this would look good if it was inked, not very good at digital inking however, so I can't really help you there.
;-)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:56 AM »
You can turn the lines blue, print and ink over them though
By air

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:49 PM »
um do you have an example of something in pencils that you inked the way it was supposed to look? That might help a bit to see both side by side because I don't really get what you are trying to do. Did you want to leave the stripes in pencil and everything else in ink? I know that's possible but its rare to mix pencils and inks and if you do that you need to be EXTREMELY clean like not even a speck of dirt on the scanner clean. If you want certain items to not have as heavy a black line you can change that in the coloring process of draw the stripes differently but I wouldn't really recommend doing pencils AND inks on one piece. Mabye one or the other...
your sig is too big! -the management

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2009, 03:15 PM »
whoops, I guess I missphrased.

I meant for the image to be fully inked (which I already have, I did it early this mornign shortly after posting this). When I said some things weren't meant to be inked I actually meant they weren't meant to be inked in solid. Some of the spaces were meant to stay white.

This is the finished copy:
http://kiraxlee.deviantart.com/art/Shy-Dog-on-a-Path-144003264

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2009, 12:20 AM »
If that's the case, as long as there's no "X" in the block, it shouldn't be filled with solid black, right? You can also go the long way and hatch the solid black areas. I'm told this looks more professional.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:14 AM »
That's not a bad idea. XD I don't know why I didn't shade more of the little areas instead of putting xs in them. I guess I wanted the line art to stay cleaner.

I'll consider hatching in the future, it'd give me a better mental image of what the inked version will look like anyway.. I made a mistake on this one. I shouldn't have blocked in the shadow under her paw,that could have done with a little hatching.

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:09 AM »
Hey, I just tossed up a short comment about this on your deviantart account.

If you don't mind, could I try my hand at inking this? I'd love to take a run at it (and troubleshoot it while I'm at it?).

Re: Art Junk - New Sketch
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2009, 07:36 AM »
Sure, I'd love that. XD Any input you can offer me would be helpful. <3

I may be turning pages over to someone else to ink in the future, so the more I learn now.. the less face-desking later.

Also, more art. A little soon and not much but it's not really an update. I'm curious if this character reminds anyone of another character they've seen. He's not unique by any stretch of the imagination but I'm afraid I might have accidentally copied someone else's design.

Though maybe not, my friends and I have pretty much already decided he reminds us of Jasper from 101 Dalmations, except if Jasper was a frog.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013, 01:18 AM by Kaelin »

Re: Art Junk - Character Sketches
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:32 AM »
oh! well then yeah just mark x's where you want the blacks to be. I have always thought it was pointless and a waste of time to fill in the blacks and then send it to an inker who then filled in the blacks again, especially with your style. I have seen several artists like Ed Mcguinness who don't do that and just send it to their inker with the x's.
your sig is too big! -the management

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Frogman does look uncannily familiar, but it might be because Disney has a monopoly on animal people, so a similar character could have popped up somewhere along in one of their movies. Just run with it, I don't think any Disney character was a bandit who stabs people.

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2009, 09:32 AM »
my first thought was Bill from disney's alice in wonderland (the older animated one), though in finding some pics, they don't look terribly similar, just have the reptile/amphibious lankey theme with the jaunty cap.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/quiz/273000/273896_1249887396769_400_305.jpg
http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alicepic/disney-movie/bill-the-lizard.jpg

« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2009, 12:23 PM »
That's who it was.  First I thought Mr. Toad but they have no resemblance.  I was thinking of that dude.  But yeah, just go with whatever.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2009, 07:36 AM »
XD Billy came to mind! I guess there's just no shortage of thin characters in brown coats and slacks. Or newsboy/drivers caps.

Here's some more Wenler sketches.. I've been doodling around this character for a couple of days and it's a lot of fun. I guess because it's a body type I don't generally  use.

Some sketches go forward, some seem to step backward.
His skin is hallucinogenic. That's why the characters are trippin'

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013, 01:18 AM by Kaelin »

« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2009, 10:14 AM »
So he's poisonous, huh?

;-)

« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2009, 10:40 AM »
Easy way to differentiate him from Bill: Make him SUPER bright colored. Like poisonous frogs are supposed to be.

Keep playing with the depth/flatness of his face. When you make it longer, he feels more like a salamander/lizard than a frog. I think the same applies to having lots of pointy teeth, especially when they stick out of his mouth.

« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2009, 01:04 PM »
I've been thinking about what markings I could give him to indicate he's a poisonous frog without getting too wild about it.. I'm kind of leaning toward a plain flat color, XD (So far he's just straight muted brownish green. Some bright yellow eye spots on the back of his head might be what I'm looking for.)

I think I'm gonna get after his clothing design soon since that seems to be what he has most in common with Bill. With these sketches I hadn't been giving it a whole lot of thought. Their bodies aren't very similar. I've been doing some frog sketches to work on his face.. I think you're right about it coming off a bit Salamanderish.

edit: That's not the only thing I'm having problems with.. as tall and slender as he is, when I make his face too flat he almost starts to look like Jack Skellington with those big eyes and teeny little nostrils. (XD Which.. kinda makes me laugh. Since it has made me realize Jack looks a little like a frog to me).
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2009, 01:06 PM by Kaelin »

« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2009, 01:22 PM »
Frogs have some crazy crazy anatomy, like the way the move is unlike anything else, and I think if you used a little more of that with his posture you'd further avoid any confusion with that lizard and make a much more sinister appearance.

And doing away with the neck would also seal him in as a frog, since frogs don't really have visible necks, that's way more of a lizard thing. and if you kept his collar high and just draped his scarf a little lower across his chest it would look pretty great. Also, no visible neck would give him a hunched and effectively even more sinister appearance.
Be nice Jack.

« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2009, 07:55 PM »
While this may have no influence on your decision, I will say that I have always liked the blue poison dart frog for it's color.

« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2009, 05:53 AM »
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2013, 01:16 AM by Kaelin »

Re: Art Junk - More Wenler
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2009, 07:35 AM »

« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2009, 09:39 AM »
awesome, I still want to see you do stuff on Void every now and then!
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:30 AM »
he must be DYING in those shoes, judging by the size of his feet. i think keeping him barefoot would be a nice design choice, or modifying his feet to work better with shoes of that sort.

« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:50 AM »
I have to be able to hide his feet in public. XD It's not showing very well but his shoes are very floppy. They're really more like fabric wrapped around his feet with a little bit of a sole.

And yes his feet could  use a little redesigning, they fold up just like any other frog feet though. I'm in th ehabit of always drawing them all fanned out.

« Reply #24 on: Mar 29, 2010, 09:57 AM »
INKER BAIT.

Pretty much exactly that.. inker bait. I left it messy on purpose because that's how my lines usually are. Any feedback would be wonderful!

Bigger view: http://kiraxlee.deviantart.com/art/Spectral-Hhoota-Inker-Bait-158836598

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

301 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us