Void Coloring School-Practice Your Coloring and Help Others!

Re: Void Coloring School-Practice Your Coloring and Help Others!
« Reply #75 on: Jan 29, 2011, 01:14 PM »
Working on a color theory assignment for art class, thought I'd try my hand at some actual lighting. I know there's probably a bajillion things wrong with this, so where should I start?

« Reply #76 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:19 PM »

« Reply #77 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Theo-I think you made some good color choices, but the lack of contrast between tones can make it a little hard to differentiate the foreground from the background since the gun and back end of the bike get slightly lost. I think adding a little subtle yellow highlights into the figures and bike (not bright, perhaps the same tone as her hair) would help make them pop slightly more.

Ernesto-one thing to keep in mind with doing just flat colors is you have to be very careful with color choices. Since you don't have fancy shading to make your stuff look all fancy pants awesome, you have to rely on the tone itself to look awesome. I think that while the colors for the characters are fine, there are a few instances where you went too bright so it makes it hard to focus on the overall piece instead of just one area. Like my eye instantly goes to Vivian's hair since it's quite a bit more saturated than the rest of the piece, making her hair the same color as Sonny's shirt would help tone it down. I think darkening the red in the background a bit would also help the characters stand out more.

Hopefully this was all coherent, I'm about to go to bed haha let me know if you need me to clarify what I mean
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #78 on: Feb 03, 2011, 03:42 PM »

rough concept shading, did it with medium grey to get a good idea where light might hit.

« Reply #79 on: Sep 03, 2011, 12:23 AM »
Doing some rough work to figure out the color style for a noir-ish character I'm working on, and I could really use some input.

« Reply #80 on: Sep 03, 2011, 08:31 AM »
One thing I've found is with more noir inking styles, you can get away with minimal shading. I like the overall color choice, but for the shading you probably didn't even need it. While the shading in the coloring is fine on the neck, I feel as though you were trying to have some on the face and because the shading is mostly following the blacks, it feels like it doesn't really need to be there. It may even help to introduce a slight gradient to make the shading feel softer and less jarring against the inking like so

Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #81 on: Sep 03, 2011, 12:31 PM »
Oh, that's perfect! What color did you use for the gradient?

« Reply #82 on: Sep 03, 2011, 01:16 PM »
I'll have to double check when I get home from work but I believe it was the darkest tone you used on the neck. For the second one I just set the gradient layer on multiply and tweaked the hue/saturation slightly to make it a bit more red. For gradients like that I always toss them on a second layer in the event I want a different effect on the flats or gradient layer.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #83 on: Oct 02, 2011, 02:25 AM »
After re-thinking it all, how's this?

« Reply #84 on: Oct 02, 2011, 09:50 AM »
The coloring itself is good, I have no complaints there. It does however bother me that you have a lot of digital elements in the background next to very nice inks which looks kind of weird. I would personally draw in the window and the mirror/picture frame that is behind him so everything goes together better stylistically. You should be able to get away with leaving the clock display as is because it's such a small element and it would make sense for something like that to be done in that style. It may also be good to put a few more lines/black into the blanket.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #85 on: Oct 02, 2011, 10:57 AM »
it's weird because the perspective of the clock and the screen behind him are going in different directions, and the bed too, i think. if those were to be fixed, it might work better between the graphic and illustrated elements. [/non-coloring tangent]

« Reply #86 on: Oct 06, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I might be one of the few people who doesn't like their colors to be insanely perfect (or to admit the fact I suck with hyper realism). This was one method I found that worked alright.

This was one of my first tries. I didn't use lineart, I just straight out painted on the thing. Bottom link is third try: http://pineapple-pocky.deviantart.com/art/Q-Hayashida-s-Dorohedoro-330918487?q=gallery%3Apineapple-pocky%2F9467441&qo=1 (series: Dorohedoro)

I was wondering what you thought of the style, where the colors and shapes are implied but the actual coloring isn't 'realistic' nor is it soft shaded or just flat colors.
just browsing here and there

« Reply #87 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:11 AM »
@PineapplePocky: I like this, the texture and vividness is really nice but I feel that the character seems to have just been stuck onto a background and they really don't relate to one another. For example, the woman is supervibrant so she obviously has light shinging on her, so why then, are their black silhouetted trees behind her. Surely they would receive some of that light, at least to a certain degree, and she would cast a shadow. I also see that you are trying not to use lines, but a bit more black here and there on the character may help define her better as at the moment it is as if I am looking at her with crossed-eyes.

I've posted this up on my Go For Broke thread but this thread seems much more appropriate.
Here is a way of colouring i have been experimenting with. I know it is sort of scrappy, but I sort of like that.

I have trouble because my work is sort of quite detailed, like how Angie was saying about Sean Gordon Murphy, she wouldn't put too many colours onto it. Thats sort of what I've tried and was just wondering what people think, or if they could advise other ways or techniques to colour the lineart that I show here.
Thanks.

« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2013, 05:21 PM »

Lines by devgear

I started using manga studio more.

« Reply #89 on: Jun 04, 2015, 04:15 AM »

Pencils from the Greg Capullo. Inks by Rexbegonia.

I'm studying to be a better colorist. I got a good critique on SA that helped take the work above from this:http://i.imgur.com/gYyukHs.jpg

I read on tumblr that this community was even better for learning, so I came here.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

318 Guests, 1 User

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us