Void Coloring School-Practice Your Coloring and Help Others!

Re: Void Coloring School-Practice Your Coloring and Help Others!
« Reply #50 on: Jun 18, 2009, 03:19 PM »
I know how to do that

Hit me up on AIM or send me a PM and I'll explain it to you ;3
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2009, 03:21 PM by Corny »

« Reply #51 on: Jun 18, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I always figured he just drew it in.

« Reply #52 on: Jun 18, 2009, 06:39 PM »
On a last note to Angies crit to Airs coloring, the lightsource in the pants is completely off, with no real lightsource hitting it (vs the one in merks skin), though its ok to be more difuse than the skin
By air

« Reply #53 on: Jun 18, 2009, 07:09 PM »
I am awful at coloring, so this is just what i need!

the marker version looks better irl, but my scanner killed it :/

« Reply #54 on: Jun 18, 2009, 08:42 PM »
Air, the purple shading on the skin and shirt looks great, but the colour scheme on the clothing really isn't working that well. The pants look kind of hideous and the greens feel sort of wrong. Not a bad job, but I feel like you can do better.

Kozi, Aside from what's been pointed out, these do look great, but the shading on the lance, near the hilt especially, is fairly off. I don't have any solutions for reference or a specific way to fix it, but that part could be rendered a bit better.

Fowlie, looking good! The angular shaded areas are real rad.

Qyz, tighten up those brushstrokes and utilize them better. You should use a greater variety of brush widths, and work on where the figure meets the ground. It looks like she's floating. The colour scheme is nice though.

Garic, Much better.

Vanilla, the marker looks MUCH better than the digital colour. The shading and highlights on the digital one really don't work terribly well. Given your style though, the more simple and subdued the colouring the better. Watercolours survive the scanning process much better and give you a wider spectrum you can use, and sit better within simple linework. If you do want to continue with digital though, I'd work with desaturated colours and experiment more with organic textures.

Be nice Jack.

« Reply #55 on: Jun 19, 2009, 07:31 AM »
what i don't like about the marker though, is that you get those lines, you know? and patches where it's darker or lighter, even when working with copics. even though i like how it's not smooth in that picture, a lot of the time it doesn't work as well. is there any way to have that not happen?

« Reply #56 on: Jun 19, 2009, 11:14 PM »
Layering, a lot, has worked for some people I know, but they do flat colours and like 10 layers for each. You're going to have a hard time losing those lines without a brush.
Be nice Jack.

« Reply #57 on: Jun 20, 2009, 10:09 AM »
one way i've fixed markers a bit (but it's only worked on certain things) get the darkest & lightest tones for a particular area, have a mask of that area & then filter>render>clouds over that area on a new layer. then mess with the opacity until you get something happy. like i said it's hit or miss but if you can manage it just right, you can cut down on the patchiness & still kind of keep the strokes at different tones.

« Reply #58 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:08 AM »
Got a new tablet yay :u

« Reply #59 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:04 AM »
Pretty much all of what I told you on AIM still stands, I feel like you have no true shadows. Like you have a pretty good color selection for the most part and I'm glad that you're trying to incorporate several colors into each area. But aside from the last two panels I'm like okay where's the light coming from? Because I could think those two beams of light would be adding a little more lighting as they're just pretty much beams of light, right? And I think I already talked to you about this on AIM but it's much better to start with your darkest tones as your flats and gradually lighten things, since the using mid tones and adding lights/darks to it seems to be contributing to the muddly feel of the coloring. 
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #60 on: Dec 05, 2009, 06:01 PM »
First time using textures. Critique away.

« Reply #61 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:55 PM »
tentative designs for a new character

and style accompaniment.....

« Reply #62 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Mmm, you have a lot of un-blended brush strokes there. (You can tell when you see like those opaque circles as you get to the end of a stroke) I would spend more time blending and blurring those out. This is assuming you are using Angie's tutorial of coloring like most people have been doing.

I should really make a tutorial...

« Reply #63 on: Dec 11, 2009, 02:47 PM »
I should really be posting this in fanart jam or something...

« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009, 02:57 PM by Monday »

« Reply #64 on: Dec 11, 2009, 03:14 PM »
I like the style reminds me of the nickelodeon cartoon Doug I think the more finished ones like the Agent Black look nicer.

« Reply #65 on: Dec 19, 2009, 05:50 PM »
 Mmmmnnn... I gonna likey this thread. Makes me Tummy Warm Like a shot of Rum&GingerAle would(1/3X2/3ds).

Yeah I like you coloring style too (like on the Previous page). And the reason I like it is: it matches your sketchy, rushed, I don't have all my time for this shit, gotto jam my emotional state out on my guitar, but beautifully consistent, and marvelously followable, Comic Art Style.

Please no offense to any your criticizers, they probably right about it if you wanted to change your style closer to what is mainstream... but alot of mainstream is fed by the Underground Rivers so Please leave you valve open.

« Reply #66 on: Dec 20, 2009, 03:59 AM »
Using Gaia Online art a guinea pigs to try new ways of coloring. Trying out textures and colorization a-la Angie style. This totally reminds me of Bondage Faries >.>

« Reply #67 on: Dec 20, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Yay I remember Bondage Fairies.
It's cool, but...hmm maybe that shade of pink around her could be a tad different?

« Reply #68 on: Dec 20, 2009, 09:07 AM »
Yeah, I was worried the plant and her would kinda bleed together :P Bleh.

« Reply #69 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:32 PM »
KIDS, STUDY PHOTOS.

STUDY STUDY.
ADD SOME ATMOSPHERE TO YOUR ART!
WHAT TIME OF DAY IS It? ARE THEY IN A DARK ROOM?
IN THE SUNLIGHT?
AT DUSK? AT SUNSET?? WHEN? WHERE??????

« Reply #70 on: Jan 31, 2010, 01:34 PM »
Whatcha think?

« Reply #71 on: Jan 31, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Glow little star bits, glow!

« Reply #72 on: Nov 12, 2010, 10:24 AM »

Doctor Thunkit

Jada

& Sega Girl, whatcha guys think?
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2010, 10:56 AM by Psycho Sean »

« Reply #73 on: Nov 12, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Question: Does a highly detailed style of art hinder or help in the digital coloring process?

« Reply #74 on: Nov 12, 2010, 09:17 PM »
Question: Does a highly detailed style of art hinder or help in the digital coloring process?

It can hinder doing flats but it cuts out render time. When I color detailed lineart I make the coloring less detailed because it's really unnecessary to do tons of fancy shading when the lineart is doing all the talking. I mean look at http://seangordonmurphy.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2yqkwt Sean Gordon Murphy, while you *could* do tons of fancy pants rendering all over it, it'd be kind of dumb with all those rich blacks.

And Psycho Sean I think this is an improvement for you, that first and last image especially. The middle image while neat and fun is a little overwhelming to look at due to the color selection and energetic strokes in the outfit. The first and last image however are showing a bit more confidence and are giving you a lot more clarity in your work. You may want to be a bit more careful on things like the jacket in the first image though, the inconsistent washes make your watercolors look faded in some areas.
Kittens wearins mittens

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

436 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 452.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us