Void Coloring School-Practice Your Coloring and Help Others!

Re: Void Coloring School-Practice Your Coloring and Help Others!
« Reply #25 on: Jun 11, 2009, 09:27 AM »
Dimension, that bottom one is Fantastic. If you think you could keep that up for comics it'd be incredible. That level of soft shading really compliments your linework nicely as well. I can't really say the same for the top left image, if only because it looks more shaded than lit, and less dynamic because of it. Really great stuff on that bottom image though.

As for the top right, I'm not really seeing any impressionism, strangely enough the most traces of impressionism are in the bottom image again. Again, I'd stick with the more dramatic soft shading, but your backgrounds clearly still need a lot of work, because your figure drawing is seriously catching up with your rendering.  I'd really like to see what you can do with more dramatic and coloured light sources, you seem to have a real knack for your colours and it's nice to see.

Scarn, those look really nice, you got the colours perfectly even across the characters and with the palettes you're using that's kind of tough, however there's no visible light source in either and I noticed a few lighting tricks used to maintain a balance in the figures, and neither one has any real background. I'd like to see what you can do in a shot with some intense visible light sources and a complete background.

Corny, those colours work perfectly, very simple and straightforward, and the purple outline really softens the figures and makes the pop out nicely. On the trads, the colours are a bit blunt and supersaturated but I think it looks fine since you maintained a bright and somewhat less saturated point of interest in the center. That picture would probably look really shitty with a background though.

Helf, a lot of this turned out really nice. The selections you made with shading her face especially. The points where the paint gets a little over saturated, the purple on her sleeve and waist, the red on her shoulder, etc., are nice too. The one thing I wish you'd done was use a stronger paper and re-inked the blue areas. where the blue paint covers the linework the linework's turned an ugly red and the paper's wrinkles are extremely dominant.
Be nice Jack.

« Reply #26 on: Jun 11, 2009, 02:53 PM »
Thanks a lot Jack! I actually plan to do a comic in that style sometime, but it would be a BB since it takes a long time to do and my time management has been rather poor lately.  Oh, and as for the top right one... maybe "impressionistic" wasn't the best word XD the reason I called it that is because the brush strokes were not blended at all in that one and I think of brush strokes when I think of impressionism. Thanks for the tips~

« Reply #27 on: Jun 11, 2009, 07:38 PM »
Haha well impressionism is more about creating a BETTER than real image, and they did like leaving their brushstrokes exposed (though some didn't, some of those paintings are frighteningly smooth in person) but the primary focus was light and poses, and I actually think you could do well to look a little more into impressionistic style, as I'd imagine it'd be a quicker form once you got it down and with your sense of light and shadow it'd probably look pretty great. Give it a shot!
Be nice Jack.

« Reply #28 on: Jun 11, 2009, 08:52 PM »
... I'd like to see what you can do in a shot with some intense visible light sources and a complete background.

Thx for taking the time to crit my stuff man - I think I might just take on that challenge once my battle's done. Lighting does seem to be the issue on these two pieces, and sadly enough - I had drawn out where the light was coming from on the last one with the big guy. *phail.

« Reply #29 on: Jun 11, 2009, 08:54 PM »
ohhh, I see. I'll be sure too look more into it and give it a try then :3

« Reply #30 on: Jun 11, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Well no, Scarn, the lighting was pretty good. It just seemed unrealistic as far as the source was concerned. In looking at it I couldn't figure out why they were lit the way they were, which is fine, but I think a more thought out process to the source and sort of light, rather than just light placement, would be really great to see.
Be nice Jack.

« Reply #31 on: Jun 11, 2009, 11:37 PM »
i wanted to participate. but. this was a mistake.
no more digital coloring while on scooby snacks.

« Reply #32 on: Jun 12, 2009, 07:45 AM »
Hey this thread is perfect for me because I'm been trying to start coloring more and I'm pretty crap at it.

Here's something in progress I wanted to get some crits on.  I drew it so I can trick the manga kids into reading my comics.

it looks much better as a PSD than as a JPEG.  Should I have saved it as a bitmap or something?

sloane, that portrait is totally not a mistake.  It's great how different it is from the rest of your stuff.

« Reply #33 on: Jun 12, 2009, 09:30 AM »
Garic: The colour choices for the first guy are great, but I'm feeling that the ninja's colours are looking washed out in comparison, especially since theirs so much white.

Craqued: How is this a mistake? Looks pretty good so far, tighten up the facial features to draw more attention to them, and you might just have a pretty awesome piece there.

« Reply #34 on: Jun 12, 2009, 09:48 AM »
Yeah, I should have mentioned that the second guy isn't even close to finished.  The guy on the left gives you a better idea of what I'm trying to do.  The strange and I'm sure archaic way I'm coloring is to shade using flat colors like I've started to do on the right, and then overlay a layer of gradients on top, which I've already done on the left.

« Reply #35 on: Jun 12, 2009, 02:04 PM »
I'm guessing this is Sasuke and Naruto from Naruto, in which case the colours on the first guy are mostly way off, and the drawing doesn't look enough like him for that to be really okay, but it's no big since one can kind of infer from the shirt. However, he looks totally sunburnt. Pull that skin tone away from the dark pinks a bit.

Also the yellow whatever-the-hell coming out of Naruto is a really nasty looking yellow, but given the source material I don't think it's really problematic.
Be nice Jack.

« Reply #36 on: Jun 12, 2009, 03:35 PM »
Garic: I definately think you should try to mix in some brighter colors among all those colder ones.

« Reply #37 on: Jun 12, 2009, 04:11 PM »
garic =P What you've got to do is get your scheme down. Right now the scheme is very... his shirt is orange his hair is yellow. That kind of approach actually pulls apart your composition. You want the image to flow together, so pick one color and base the entire drawing around that tone. Kind of like if you put a color filter on camera. Start with your darkest color and then work your way up to the lighter tones and be careful not to over render. I think that simple is best with strong line work.

Hope that makes sense ;____;

Craqued paints lovely ladies =P
Gotta update my site!! for now ---> http://shortfury.deviantart.com

« Reply #38 on: Jun 12, 2009, 04:25 PM »

It's been too long since I coloured anything.
Someone might have fun with this.

« Reply #39 on: Jun 12, 2009, 08:13 PM »
@Dr.Salt: not bad, but I think the shadow could be much darker, also I don't think the extra shadow looks too good on it. I think just one shadow would look fine.Err... This is kind of hard for me to explain, but I suggest trying to add more variety in the shape of the shadow...like instead of making it look like a straight line going down her clothes, make the shadow  form wrinkles in her clothes or streaks of hair on her head.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2009, 08:26 PM by dimension »

« Reply #40 on: Jun 13, 2009, 02:17 PM »
@Dr. Salt: I'm not an art graduate or anything, so this is just personal experience. Take it with a grain of salt. XD;

You have a nice, clean simplistic style. Like dimension said, could benefit from some more shadow and highlight shape variation. Could also be a bit darker. I think your style could also work fine with more saturated and crazy colors, like the second example. And don't be afraid to add some depth! Simple curves in your shadows where you have straight lines make the character pop out and stand out.

« Reply #41 on: Jun 13, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Thanks for the crits, you guys...it's really helpful.  How's this?  Any better?

« Reply #42 on: Jun 13, 2009, 04:05 PM »
the top left dude seems a little dark, and I think we should be seeing light shining on him from the other yellow light source in the bottom right. Still, It is pretty snazzy.

I'm hesitant to put this here, since it's a style I really don't like coloring in, but whatever. Any feedback is good feedback... most of the time.

« Reply #43 on: Jun 13, 2009, 05:46 PM »
I feel like the legs are the best example of this, but it feels like there's too much going on there.  I feel like the color should be a little more gradual.

« Reply #44 on: Jun 13, 2009, 06:29 PM »

« Reply #45 on: Jun 13, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Garic-I think that's an improvement but I think the lighting could really be pushed a lot further. Without going all Narutard, both attacks are very bright ordinarily, Sasuke's especially since it's supposed to resemble lightning. I think you're starting to get it on Sasuke, but on Naruto it's still looking kind of bland. Don't be afraid to use different shades of orange and yellow, I think part of the reason your coloring is looking dull is because it looks as though you're adding grey or going less saturated with each shade.

Qyzex-I like the tones here, you might be able to push the lightest areas just a little more but what you have here is fine. I think the problem here is that you lack sharp edges really anywhere so it makes the picture look slightly blurry. Like it works for the far background since you want that stuff to really stay in the background, but the foreground could be just a touch sharper. Refining the edges of the character and ground that she's on could help quite a bit.

Fowlie-I like the color choice here and I like that you're starting to give your colors some visual texture. I know that you're a linework heavy artist so I've always been interested in seeing you do what you do with your lines with your colors. I think it would be well worth experimenting with and what you have here is a step in the right direction.

Hopefully all my crits are coherent, just walked in from work and my brain is like way dead haha.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #46 on: Jun 13, 2009, 08:59 PM »

Did this since Qyzex colored my linework. Kind of a quick coloring job, but it was a fun break from my battle. I'll post more here prolly maybe.

« Reply #47 on: Jun 16, 2009, 11:25 AM »
Trying out lineless style :o Inspired by B1nd1 over at DeviantART. did these based off a tutorial she posted a couple months back.

« Reply #48 on: Jun 17, 2009, 02:42 AM »
Air-I really like the purple shadows here, it really makes the palette interesting. Really the only thing I noticed was it seems like his skin and shirt are getting darker shading than the pants and shoes even though the latter are darker in color. I think it's just an illusion though since some colors appear different when surrounded by other colors if that makes any sense? haha I think it's just an optical illusion like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Optical_grey_squares_orange_brown.svg though. It's nice to see you do something more controlled, I've gotten so used to your expressive coloring it's nice to see you step outside your comfort zone.

Kozi-I think the bottom one works very well, you may want to darken her shadow a tad more because it took me a minute to figure out that she was staring at her own shadow. The top one is very nice as well but the outline around the character is a little overpowering to the point of it making me focus more on the outline than the character. I feel like you could have done a little more with the shading on the skin tone since at the moment it blends together with the base color a bit too much.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #49 on: Jun 18, 2009, 03:09 PM »
Kozi-I think the bottom one works very well, you may want to darken her shadow a tad more because it took me a minute to figure out that she was staring at her own shadow. The top one is very nice as well but the outline around the character is a little overpowering to the point of it making me focus more on the outline than the character. I feel like you could have done a little more with the shading on the skin tone since at the moment it blends together with the base color a bit too much.

I totally agree. In hindsight, the outline is kinda 'ehhh'. I really want to try the 'cut out' outline I saw Lysol use in his fanart of Mimi, but for the life of me I can't figure out how he did it. http://lysol-jones.deviantart.com/art/Mimi-54531004 If you can finagle a tutorial out of the man, that'd be just dandy.

Thanks for the pointers on the skin shading- if there's one thing I know I need work on, its shading :P

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

281 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us