Charlie's dumb stuff

Re: Orange's Art
« Reply #50 on: Sep 02, 2010, 08:57 AM »

« Reply #51 on: Sep 02, 2010, 09:04 AM »
How about a HUGE Axe/Hammer?  A Battle-Staff with two blades/twined helebarde?
Massive Chainsaw? MorningStar?

Hmm the Design is Hardcore... i can´t say I´m looking forward to her since her Design is too dirty for my taste. She looks like those poor Punkers on the Street... but by chance that is your intention.

i wonder what she´ll look like in her final version... and what weapon she´ll wield. at all the concept is awesome.

« Reply #52 on: Sep 02, 2010, 09:44 AM »
I think the character really works for what it is. She definitely looks to part of a punk scene chick. I have to admit, my brother has a lot of punk friends and any time I go to shows with him everyone there reeks of B.O., so just looking at Jo right now makes me cringe at the imaginary smell that my mind is giving me.

Basically, while hardcore punk isn't my thing, I do think that the character works really well for it. It might be a little cliche, but you could give her a guitar of some kind as a weapon. You could also go with something improvised which I think would really play into her appearance. I don't want to say "trashy"... But I'm going to. Using a broken _____ or a ______ that's been ripped off of something would, in my opinion, up her punkish rebelliousness. Some kind of pipe or frame or sign post, hell, an old-fashioned heater, it may not be as sleek and assassin-like as a sword or as powerful and imperious as a battle axe, but I think a weapon made out of someone else's trash would fit the character and, if it was unique enough, become iconic, ya know?

« Reply #53 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:13 AM »
she seems more hardcore rock than punk.

Note: the word FUCK makes anything hardcore.

« Reply #54 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Oversized boots, undersized torn clothing, multi-color hair, studs, unusual designs/random words on the clothing. Aside from a little less symmetry, a little less color coordination, and a little more bandanas hanging from random limbs, her appearance seems to match the punk scene around here pretty well. I guess it's just something no one can label for sure. You might have to go with your own call on this one, Orange.

« Reply #55 on: Sep 02, 2010, 10:42 AM »
Yeah I'd say it has a bit of a cyberpunk feel. But Cherubas has some good points. Some bandanas or even just general punk/hardcore items in her arsenal. 8 balls in socks, brass knuckles, chains, etc.

« Reply #56 on: Sep 02, 2010, 12:27 PM »
hey, can't we compromise? that's what punk rock is for, right?

« Reply #57 on: Sep 02, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Could always make her secretly very passionate about her love of country music. Make her Billy Gilman's half cousin.

« Reply #58 on: Sep 02, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Haha thanks for the suggestions dudes. I'm gonna make things less symmetrical as I flesh things out more since thats what I noticed too in terms of the clothing when I was looking up references. I'll add in some other things here and there as well! As for the weapon I kind of like the idea of it being a bit roughed up, definitely was something I was going to do. I just need to figure out what exactly first :P

And haha Luniara, I am probably going to put another word there but I just wanted to put something there so I wouldn't forget : D.

« Reply #59 on: Sep 02, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Chainsaw nunchucks which are ON FIRE.

Or maybe a Chain-SHIV?! ON FIRE?!!

« Reply #60 on: Sep 03, 2010, 02:14 AM »
Seems like a chainsaw/chained objects are kind of the ones that won out so here is just a really wip reference sheet with a weapon. Made a few tweaks such as lowered the height of the boots, also put bandanas around, and shredded up the pants a bit and it'll have a patch on one side there. A chain etc etc. The Jacket no longer says Fuck haha, I moved the word Fear up there, and for some reason she has 'hope' written on the one side. I'll probably change that though too. I put a little heart in there too on the other side for laughs, but I'm taking it out probably.

I might still change the weapon because I don't really know how I feel about the chainsaw piece, but right now its a ballistic chainsaw-on-a-chain knife (although its a hugeass knife haha). It shoots out the chainsaw blade which will then start spinning because of the momentum. I'm sure that's not really realistic physics but whatever. It is made out of a bunch of crap that was lying around, pieces of scrap metal like stop sign pieces and whatnot. I'm sure if you put gasoline on it and lit it up, it could also be a flaming ballistic chainsaw-on-a-chain knife haha. The chain part was kind of inspired by a meteor hammer, which I thought that was kind of cool. So yeah anyway, when it gets shot out the momentum makes the blade spin really fast which allows it to just tear through crap and mangle it up really good. When its on the handle it doesn't have any momentum so it really can't do this, so it would take a pretty wild swing just to get some small revs going.

However the weapon, again, is probably going to change. I think its kind of dumb at the same time that I think its kind of neat. I also figure she'd speak in punk slang...only I can't find any of that, instead I found uhh, Cockney whatevermerbob I guess its called when looking for punk slang so I'm going to assume that that's close enough haha. I'll probably butcher it but whatever. Thoughts before I start doing this shit up when I have more time?

« Reply #61 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:27 AM »
Is she in a band? Because another trend I noticed in the scene was having some reference to The Misfits on your clothing or body. You could make up a band, but having a patch, tatt, sticker, or something that points to an "inspirational" band may be something to think about. You could probably even make up a band based on what she's already wearing, like "The Wanking Pandas".

(I just woke up. Gimme a break.)

« Reply #62 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:46 AM »
The art's nice, & it's an ok design.
But this whole punk discussion is funny to me. Punk slang?! Misfits on everything?! Kids these days.

Oh & Cockney rhyming slang is something else entirely.

« Reply #63 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Just the way things are, Kuro. The discussion's just to put info out there, Orange is free to take it or leave it. Like how someone making a movie based around a war veteran may or may not research war tactics and try to work that into the character's personality somehow.

I like the new look though. Stylish.

« Reply #64 on: Sep 03, 2010, 02:08 PM »
i probably just didnt see the other pages but are you influenced by megaman zero on your character design (void fighter) ? just curiouss
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #65 on: Sep 03, 2010, 02:22 PM »
I really like those boots! One thing to watch out for is all the little details on her, it might make her a pain to draw
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #66 on: Sep 03, 2010, 06:34 PM »
The art's nice, & it's an ok design.
But this whole punk discussion is funny to me. Punk slang?! Misfits on everything?! Kids these days.

Oh & Cockney rhyming slang is something else entirely.

Yeah, I figured it was as much. I'm going to avoid the band names being put on stuff, I don't want to put that label on. The only reason I'm trying to find stuff like punk slang is because I'm really trying to make sure that the character when speaking and acting is recognizable as a punk. I mean, I think to be a punk is not really in the way you talk or dress, it is more of a style of life I think than something you can just attach these things to but I want to try and play up on maybe the average joe's perception on what punk's generally look like/act like/speak like so I can make sure that its instantly identifiable to the reader. So when I was looking for punk slang I came across the Cockney rhyming slang, and while I realize its different, to me I think it fits nicely with the punk image. Of course if its a problem with anyone I can change it, I just also feel like writing a character that speaks in a different manner from other characters I've done. If you have any suggestions on that front I'd like to hear 'em!

Is she in a band? Because another trend I noticed in the scene was having some reference to The Misfits on your clothing or body. You could make up a band, but having a patch, tatt, sticker, or something that points to an "inspirational" band may be something to think about. You could probably even make up a band based on what she's already wearing, like "The Wanking Pandas".

(I just woke up. Gimme a break.)

Nope, no band, and I've already got words floating about on her body so I don't want to overdo it anymore than what I have. Thanks though!

I really like those boots! One thing to watch out for is all the little details on her, it might make her a pain to draw

It shouldn't be too much of a problem for me I don't think, I am much faster at placing details and drawing details on characters than I am at backgrounds and background details :). Thanks!

i probably just didnt see the other pages but are you influenced by megaman zero on your character design (void fighter) ? just curiouss

I think you're the first person to publicly post out the correct main influence I had in mind when drawing up Luna (assuming that is who you are talking about). Everyone is guessing power ranger/digimon/insertotherthingIdidn'treferencehere and while its been funny, nobody seems to have put the two and two together. I love Megaman, it is one of my favourite franchises, so for the invitational tourney I figured I'd use that as my main inspiration. Of course the initial concepts were much more derivative than the one I settled with in the end. But basically I've got a bit of Megaman and a bit of BlazBlue and a bit of other things I really like to be made for her, since I just wanted a character that was a homage to things I really liked for the invitational. Megaman Zero is one of my fave Megaman line of games, along with ZX and Legends so there we have it :)

Anyway I'll be starting on the reference in full soon.

« Reply #67 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Just the way things are, Kuro. The discussion's just to put info out there, Orange is free to take it or leave it. Like how someone making a movie based around a war veteran may or may not research war tactics and try to work that into the character's personality somehow.

Right, but if you want to research, get reliable sources. I'm laughing because the progression the conversation seemed to take & how it felt like no one knew what they were talking about in relation to something I thought was really common place to pretty much anyone born after 1979. Obviously not.

Yeah, I figured it was as much. I'm going to avoid the band names being put on stuff, I don't want to put that label on. The only reason I'm trying to find stuff like punk slang is because I'm really trying to make sure that the character when speaking and acting is recognizable as a punk.

Firstly, you date & overly personalize your character too much if you put real bands on there, unless it's something that's universally loved or accepted, usually classic. Anyway, it's more fun to make up your own. I just thought the suggestion to add Misfits accouterments was funny.

But 'punks' don't have slang. That's why you're having issues finding anything of the sort. If there's anything remotely close to a manner of punk speak, it's usually filled with obscenities. Cockney Rhyming Slang was sort of developed as code. To throw the uninitiated off of what's being said. If anything, you skirt around the use of curse words which isn't very punk at all. Berk sounds far less offensive than Cunt.

« Reply #68 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Alright :D! Thanks a lot for your input by the way, much appreciated! I'll figure out a manner of speech, probably won't get it downpat anyway until a few comics and I've actually started battling with the character.

« Reply #69 on: Sep 03, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Well, like I said, I wasn't suggesting to actually wear Misfits stuff but rather suggesting wearing a made up band in the way that real world kids like wearing misfits stuff. It was just a suggestion.

« Reply #70 on: Sep 03, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Well, like I said, I wasn't suggesting to actually wear Misfits stuff but rather suggesting wearing a made up band in the way that real world kids like wearing misfits stuff. It was just a suggestion.

Because that totally makes them punk.

« Reply #71 on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:06 AM »
hah i loved megaman stuff too, used to draw the original and the x series (up until x4) like 24/7
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #72 on: Sep 11, 2010, 10:59 PM »

Because that totally makes them punk.

In a word, yes. :)

« Reply #73 on: Nov 28, 2010, 02:14 AM »

Redesigned her, she's almost like a different character for the most part. Anyway,
WIP intro pages. The little girl is a character Qyzex is making, the dude there is basically an NPC I guess of ours haha.

Still major WIP.

Just some artwork of some of WFA chars:

lyrics are from a song by Machinae Supremacy

Some WFA art for other people (that I need to finish):

I guess really thats all I wanna share for now. Most of 'em are just sketches but w/e.

« Reply #74 on: Nov 29, 2010, 02:09 AM »

Just a crappy doodle. I am thinking of going back and retelling this story from the beginning as a standalone comic because I really like drawing this character and I like the eyeball moon and Seven is cool too, even if the opposite type character has been done to death. I think I could have a cool story on my hands if I did it right *shrug*

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

541 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 550.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us