Charlie's dumb stuff

Charlie's dumb stuff
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:46 PM »
I'm actually kind of scared posting this up here, I've had a good look-through on a lot of peoples stuff here and I'm nowhere near as skilled, but I'll try anyway. I don't have a whole lot to show right now due to not having a buttload of time since college started, usually being all drawed out anyway by the time I get home (I'm an animation student, so I draw lots there).

Anyway, most of these will just be links to what I have on my DA account, so not to flood the page with images.

First comic, page 1 -I have a link to the next page on each page, I stopped at page 3 because I lost inspiration and was screwing up my own characters...I changed 'em haha.

Second Comic, page 1 - I didn't link each page on here woops, but uhh there is a folder for all these pages in my gallery ^^;

Those are the only comics I have, I want to try and do more to keep practicing. They were also done in a relatively short timespan since I've been real busy with school + life and whatnot, but I need to learn how to make panels better and word bubbles better and all that cool stuff. I saw tutorials for the word bubbles ^^.

Now just for some sketches...

A doodle - Did this in Open Canvas etc. I hate Open Canvas though haha.

More doodles - from Open Canvas.

My folder for traditional sketches - Keep in mind these are just sketches =). I've got more from school, I just have to find a way to scan them =_=;

Sorry I don't have so much stuff to show, I used to have more when I used to be a huuuuge fanartist of the Sonic variety. I've long since broken away from that, though I draw the blue guy from time to time since its been my biggest inspiration. I took all that down though from my old DA account (its also really old stuff anyway, and I hate my old stuff) and so forth.

I'll try and get more stuff up eventually. Most likely that will happen when college is over.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2014, 08:18 PM by Charlie »

Re: Orange's Art
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Hey, welcome to void! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

First off I just want to say: get a photo bucket or image shack account to host your images, clicking links is annoying and time consuming.

Second, what program are you drawing those comics in? The lines are so pixely and hard on the eye. The comics show that you have a basic understanding of them, but not much more then that.  Like, you have all this dialog just dumped into word bubbles.  Paragraphs of text on the pages and only 3-6 panels.  You are throwing a lot of text at us in the first few pages when you could stretch it out over more panels and pages.  Remember that comics are visual story telling, not picture books.  In that first page you are missing out on a lot of opportunities to show the setting, get some character interaction and establish this world.  You have an establishing shot of the outside of the bar, but right after that we can only assume they are inside, since there is a table and they are holding drinks.  There is no second establishing shot of the bar inside, where they are in the room, if other people are there, what the scenery looks like. Your comic and nothing else in your gallery has backgrounds.  Post backgrounds in your next post! Backgrounds are SUPER important.

Digital is great when you are broke or lacking a scanner, but I really want to see some finished traditional drawings from you, that means completed pencils and inked. 

Now, back to work!

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 02:56 PM »
Alrighty, will do. As for backgrounds, I do have some finished ones but they are only in traditional media so I have no scanner for 'em. I have more works with characters on backgrounds too at school, same thing though is its all traditional media. As for the program I was in, I was just quickly slapping things together with Photoshop and I had the pencil tool out since I do spritework as well xD. Probably wasn't the best idea since when I go back to it I do see how pixelly it is.

As for my comics, thanks a lot for the critique! As I said I've never made a comic ever before those two, so my understanding is super super supppper basic on them. I am no good at making comics yet, so I'll take your words into very good consideration. I was just wondering if you know of a good place to learn more about the way to properly set up panels on a page so that I can do all the stuff you established there, or should I think of comics more along the lines of storyboards (since I've done those at school, so I'm more familiar with just really rough storyboards and the way they work).

I'll try and do a traditional comic then for practice, and then scan it in one day whenever I have access to one next that has a little more substance to it. I can do better than the ones I've posted up, I know it, I just have to find the time to really get down and do one ^^;.

Thanks again for the critique!

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:22 PM »
I was just wondering if you know of a good place to learn more about the way to properly set up panels on a page so that I can do all the stuff you established there

The best way to learn comics is to read comics, and a lot of them, and keep it mixed up.  Panel layouts or one of the things I find rather hard to type out, but I do always see my comics as a movie in my head before I start planing them out.  Taking film classes in high school have me in the habit of thinking of them in that way. I find it easier to plan out shots that way.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Alright, thanks a lot for the advice then =). It'll probably be easier for me then if I just imagine my comics the way I do my boards (which my teacher is a big stickler for those establishing shots as well, so this works out nice). I'll start working on some stuff then, don't know when I can get anything uploaded though. They also probably won't be inked until I get feedback and critique on whatever pages I upload. I have no clue what setting/characters I'll use for it, so I'll give that a thinkover tonight and come up with something simple.

Again, thanks a bunch =)

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 07:02 PM »
Hey, you lied! You're not that bad.

You have a pretty good feel for dialogue I think; that's great. I found your comics hard to follow, though-- the characters' actions seemed random and weren't really connecting panel to panel.

The comics could also use backgrounds! I know you said you didn't have a lot of experience with them, but that's fine--this is the best way to practice. Plus that bar shot looked all right to me. You also might want to zoom-out the "camera" more often--I think you had a lot of panels of close-ups in there. Close-ups are for focus on the characters, giving a feel of intimacy or immediacy, or they are for focusing on details... wide shots are for establishing an environment (among other things)

Hope that helps, post more soon. :3

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 06:13 PM »
Haven't updated here in a while. I actually haven't had loads of time to draw because I've been working on my animation for my final project.

Just a warning though, my final animation project is a tribute to my favourite video game series, Sonic The Hedgehog, so if that doesn't float your boat then I apologize. He isn't the most popular guy anymore, so to speak haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6NLUFMmJ4Q - First preview, has very unfinished backgrounds. As of right now, these backgrounds have been tightened up and are pretty much finished except for animating some water in one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmpcPM8luME - Preview two, final one. More finished in terms of some of the BG work. Still most of it is rough, and when I go to reshoot everything the camera won't show you the workstation either and everything will be perfectly aligned in the screen (so parts of the page won't be cutoff).

Just figured I'd upload these because I've been trying to improve with my background's, and I'm doing quite a few for 'em in my animation so I figured I'd show I have done a few heh. Enjoy I guess ^^;. The final backgrounds for that first part look better too, since things are a little more in perspective heh. Most of the roughs are just for placeholder so I know where to animate. We've only got two months to work on it, and I'm a month in with 70% done about. 1st year animator, so I'm not really all that good yet, but I'm trying to make it fluid.

« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2009, 12:42 PM »
I like your animations. But the ones in the first part seemed kinda rippedoff from the sonic cd intro if im not remembering wrong.

« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Its definitely inspired by Sonic CD, however the major difference is that when Sonic encounters the trees in the CD intro he uses them as a loop quite fast-like and then speeds off again. Like I said, its a tribute and I figured that I'd love to have Sonic doing something that at least would be recognized. Thanks for your comment =)

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2009, 11:40 PM »
Its been a while but I have a few new things I guess. I've been doing comic battles over at WFA to try and get better at making them before I even attempt to come here, but in the mean time I am working on a void character.

Edit: fixed a fun typo...originally said getter instead of get better. Annnnnnywaaaaay.

First sketch I did of her, haven't named her yet. Uses some sort of a keytar/gatling gun-ish sorta combo.

Just started out as a sketch of the two characters but then I was bored and tried to sketch out a background. I still suck at them by the way, perspective hurts haha. I've been trying to work on it though. Oh yeah, and thats Robert there. I was talking to him at the time so I threw Rob in there.

Unfinished picture I started of the new character. Still major WIP.

Image I drew up today for Airlight.

An unfinished background I did quickly in the last 30 minutes or so in class. It sucks, but practice makes perfect. I just need to draw them more.

A drawing I did over the summer when I was bored of Burt from Sesame Street if he was old and unhealthy and probably into some drugs or something. I don't know. Just excuse his right hand (left side of the screen) since I was getting bored by that point. There are a lot of things wrong with this, but it was a quick sketch so whatever.

Cool stuff, I'll keep trying to get better before I join in on the fun.

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2009, 02:21 AM by Orange »

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2009, 07:44 AM »
stufff's looking good! make some comics, i think you'll be fine as long as you put your all into the submission. you've got lots of potential, just start finishing some projects!

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2009, 08:32 AM »
poenax!!!
aaaawe you traitor ;_;.... nah just joking.

looks good so far. and finally thats a chance to fight you... for my luck i´m in the mood to do a character again. and then once i made shit work again for me we´ll meet on the alternate alternativebattlevieground of the voider system i´ll never understand. *cough

haha ok here is some crit and i hope i´m doing it not too wrong. (am i intoxicated? damn i´m acting/feeling strange and i haven´t drunkl... excuse me?)

the character sheet is looking good so far. the thing that annoys me a bit is the profile view of the head. jaw and nose are looking a bit minor and the eye is sort of a perspective issue i think. maybe its what you want but remember how eyes  looks different from the side as frontal.

her left arm in the sideview is strange too to me but maybe its just me so ... yeah

your background picture is looking very good to me. couldn´t do it that good.

you understood the ely? *waves with language barrrrrrier

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2009, 04:53 PM »
@Pi

Thanks a lot dude, I do have what appears to be lots of unfinished things in here haha. My time has been more or less dedicated to working on comic cycles on WFA so I can get better at them before coming here, but I just didn't post any of my comics there since I've only had one good cycle so far imo. I'm still trying to get efficient at making them before I even think of battling here, otherwise I'll just get crushed hard.

@Yaz

Hmm, I don't know who you are. Who is this Ely you speak of ;D. But yes, it is I, Phoenix roflroflrofl. I'm not being a traitor though haha, I know you were joking but why not be able to enjoy both =D?. I'd definitely up for having a battle against you once I get better at this though for sure.

As for the crit, thanks for it I'll try and fix it up. As for her nose I don't intend for her to have a big nose anyway, but I'll see what I can fix up anyway. I'll see what I can do about the arm, by left arm you mean the one holding the gun in the sideview right? If you mean her actual left (as in the one that isn't holding anything) I can see where it might get confusing since her hair almost looks like it is her arm (or something like that). I'll fix that up though as best as I can.

Also yes I can understand you just fine =D

« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Haha, while it's flattering that you feel the need to "practice" before coming here, just spend more time in the community so we can get to know you better, see more of your art, all that jazz. We'll decide if you're ready or not for battling, all you have to do is draw.

« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2009, 10:19 PM »
You'll probably learn a lot more by actually doing battles. Remember that we have 4 week drawing times, if you can't do at least 3 pages in that time you're gonna have to speed up! It's best to just get in and get comfortable through battling than worrying about getting good enough to get in. What you have in that latest post is fine, would just like to see some more complete work from you.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2009, 10:35 PM »
Oh I can do more pages than just 3 in a 4 week period! I just seem to on average only be able to put out 4 pages I'm happy with in a one week period (even then it is kind of cutting it close), hoping to try and get faster with that. I want to make sure I can give my opponent a nice looking comic above all. I'll finish up some work hopefully in the coming weeks, though its been hard to balance college work + job hunting + an upcoming trip home for most of December haha. Chances are I'll be posting more stuff in January sometime!

Thanks =)

« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:06 PM »
Okay, so remember that I suck at backgrounds so I'm trying to make them now...

And I tried to paint, and I was asking my pal Airlight a bunchload of questions. I guess was trying to make cool backgrounds like he does but I doooon't know how he does it so well. So here is my first finished try at painting up a background. Ignore the size of the little people I randomly drew there, I spent a lot of time on this today so they were just thrown in at the end.

Anyway, Happy Mart there is the place where my punk/whatever/keytarwielding character works when she isn't out destroying things. Gotta pay the rent somehow right? Its a pretty big evil chain or something that likes to roll UP prices lololol. Yeah. So there is a piece of some finished work that sucks. I'll just have to keep making more!

« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2009, 03:45 PM »
Just some misc stuff, WFA Character:

Wasn't picky about lighting in general. I was just trying to shade it to where I thought it would work as a simple ref image. I only realize right now there are a few places I didn't clean up the coloring, I did do this rather late at night. I should probably go back and fix that.

One of the jams over there, not my characters

Just a sketch...

Other character of mine, it was a rather quick job and the actual drawing of it is now a little old. I maybe drew this around August after a month or so of not really drawing. I didn't color it until a good while later, and I rushed it hah. I scanned it in and didn't really clean up/fix anything.

« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:11 PM »
Yay 2010 :)

One ref thing finished...

One still WIP, but I am getting close to finishing!

I'll probably just use one of these two on VOID actually. I had been working on other characters but none of them really were clicking, or I couldn't write a backstory I was content with. Oh well, I'm starting to improve.

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:16 PM »
Don't spend too much time on back story, that stuff'll come to you after you get a character in.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:46 AM »
Been working on a comic called Badwolf, or thats the temporary name. Basically it tells the tale of Badwolf, who was to be the successor to the title of Big Bad Wolf. The problem was that everyone in her lineage prior to her that held that title was male, so she was left for dead as a child. Another quirk is that each one prior to her has died rather young due to their pride/stupidity and inability to change with the times. That bloodline is at war with the Hunters Guild (temporary name) and they had killed Badwolf's father. After surviving all these years she has dedicated herself to claiming her families title and taking out the one responsible for her fathers death. The catch? The one who killed her father is dead, but his son "Red" is still alive...leader of the Hood Gang. AND SO ADVENTURE BEGINS. So far its going to be probably a one chapter affair, I don't know if I'll expand it into the full Hunter's Guild thing yet, so I won't make it a huge part of the plot yet. Also really rough story, I'm still working on it xD;;

So enjoy some references and concepts.

References first!:

Badwolf

Red

WIP STUFF/CONCEPTS:

Red's gang henchmen: Bruiser and Joint. Bruiser is the huge guy, and Joint is the small guy...they both die really quickly in what I have planned so far. This is still a WIP image, hence the random stuff.

Red rides a bike...a motorbike. Here is the concept and what could potentially end up being a promo piece/cover idea.

Potential cover, going to do lots of other different variations more when I have my script written out and perfected etc.

Also there will probably be guns and whatnot used, a bit of other fantasy elements. I'm still designing stuff after all :D. Timeline is in a futuristic timeline, yet the weapons most people use are swords rather than guns. Its like a loose-samurai fighter styled setting, going to be on a fictional planet probably.

« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:10 AM »
looks sweet, let's see more finished up stuff!

...is the twist that wolf and red fall in love?

« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Haha I haven't even thought of that. I had a different twist planned, but Iam trying not to plan too far ahead so I can see if I can finish a chapter first.

Thanks!

« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2010, 04:34 PM »
Even though I'm a chump for twists on fairy tales, I like it.

« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2010, 12:32 AM »
Okay, shitloads of sketches...probably nothing finished because I was working mainly on my SDT entries and schoolwork and sick most of last week... but tonight when I was over in the WFA chat rooms I asked for some random character ideas since I felt like -trying- to draw. Some are quite shitty, just fyi. None of the ideas there were mine, and this is what came out of it:

I forgot to label the sumo, but he was supposed to be a Sumo with serious brass balls...so the balls, they are serious.

Forgot to label the golem too, but its a stone golem ballerina. There is a village there too!

So yeah, did that. I had more to tackle too, like a Microwave Headed Chainsaw Armed Savage robot, and a Mad Scientest Flying Squirrel to name a couple, but my tablet driver crashed and i haven't restarted yet.

It started off just as a sketch with me just wanting to draw a giant robot in the voting phase here...and it turned into this random page. So yeah, just a random page with swearing and stuff *shrug*.

Some random robots I drew at the start of the month in class.

So yeah, basically just a sketchdump. I'm still working on my own comic though I mentioned in here, I finished my script and I am gonna go and revise it a bit. I'm taking my time with it since I want it to be awesome.

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

438 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 504.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us