Landscape Jam

Landscape Jam
« on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:07 PM »
I'm surprised this jam hasn't come up yet, so I guess I'll start it. Draw any kind of environment with the scene as the main subject. Could be landscape, seascape, cityscape, space-scape, etc.

Re: Landscape Jam
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2009, 06:52 PM »
i was thinking of like a perspective boot camp jam, something to fill the role of that old 'third powah' thread. problem is you need art to start a jam & i got too much shit going on! gah!

but props to getting something like this going! that shot is tight. the trees in the foreground look a little fish-eye, but your textures for the wood & leaves/needles are looking real nice, man! good work!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Why is no one posting in this jam?

It was more of a sketch than an actual finished drawing, but I felt like doing something with ink without sketching it first that well. And I think it turned out well enough. It also had nice colours, but I still haven't figured out how to make my scanner NOT kill watercolours completely.
Okay, I'll go finish my intro pages now. Promise.

And, ablondin, those trees are awesome. They look so natural. And the way they get less detailed the further the perspective goes looks very natural too.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2009, 12:16 PM »
... but I still haven't figured out how to make my scanner NOT kill watercolours completely.
Okay, I'll go finish my intro pages now. Promise.

So far, the only way I can tell to get watercolors to look right scanned, is to use the really, really expensive kind, AND to use a good scanner.  Not one of those all-in-one machines, but one of the pricey ones, and even then there's no guarantee that the light blues will come out.

Stephanie Pui-Mun Law over at www.shadowscapes.com has some great watercolor paintings (and a tut!) but she doesn't say how she gets them to scan right... Maybe she photographs them?  I'll have to email her and ask.
I'm a walking talking example of "If you don't use it, you lose it."

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2009, 08:52 PM »
the problem might be that the lamp in your scanner is too bright. unfortunately, if you're like most people (myself included), you have a cheap scanner with a fixed lamp brightness, so there's nothing you can do about that.
you can try applying your watercolors a shade or two darker (just darker, not more saturated) than you normally would.
there's some professional method of digitally capturing your works involving a dark room, two floodlights, and a really good camera, but it seems like a huge pain in the ass.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2009, 09:26 AM »

... but I still haven't figured out how to make my scanner NOT kill watercolours completely.

Stephanie Pui-Mun Law over at www.shadowscapes.com has some great watercolor paintings (and a tut!) but she doesn't say how she gets them to scan right... Maybe she photographs them?  I'll have to email her and ask.

I emailed Stephanie and she replied!  I asked her what she did to make her watercolors not look like crud scanned and she said she uses an Epson 836XL--I looked that scanner up.  Back when it was new it cost $2500.  :o  And even now on Ebay it runs near $300.
I'm a walking talking example of "If you don't use it, you lose it."

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

264 Guests, 1 User

Most Online Today: 283.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us