Void Realism Jam

Re: Void Realism Jam
« Reply #100 on: Mar 26, 2010, 06:11 PM »

My character Ziggy From SDT 2010. I wanted to finished the torso, but I'm real busy with a million things in the next few weeks so for now here's the incomplete one. Looks like he's still mad about losing. He'll get over it.

« Reply #101 on: Mar 26, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Man that is totally not buff guy proportions. As for the head, look up gorillas or dogs, the shape is similar and you might gain something valuable from studying them.

« Reply #102 on: Apr 07, 2010, 10:13 AM »
sweet sweet art jam.
I'm gonna give it a shot!
Pee Pee...Pee Pee Vagina!

« Reply #103 on: Apr 17, 2010, 11:25 AM »

LOL

« Reply #104 on: Apr 25, 2010, 01:09 AM »
i haven't been posting a lot of art lately, but it's not like i haven't been drawing, i swear!

here's the best stuff from my life drawing class. i'm still really struggling with it, so any help would be very much appreciated.

bigger versions:
http://irepeatmyself.carbonmade.com/projects/2657443

NSFW

« Reply #105 on: Apr 25, 2010, 07:34 AM »
i haven't been posting a lot of art lately, but it's not like i haven't been drawing, i swear!

here's the best stuff from my life drawing class. i'm still really struggling with it, so any help would be very much appreciated.

bigger versions:
http://irepeatmyself.carbonmade.com/projects/2657443

NSFW

Is this guy in everyone's life drawing class?

« Reply #106 on: Apr 25, 2010, 08:08 AM »
Damn, that's looking nice Pi! Well the first big thing I have to get on you for that my figure drawing teachers got on me a ton for is never treat the background as an afterthought. Like I know that the point of figure drawing is to improve on drawing your figures and stuff, but it's helpful to be practicing how the figures interact with their surroundings. Your anatomy is looking pretty spot on, just occasionally the heads look slightly too large for the body like in the 4th drawing. The only other thing I'd work on is your shading. It's looking pretty good in most of the pictures, but in the last few drawings your tones are all hovering in the middle range.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #107 on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Mkay. They're actually out of chronological order, so the last ones were done earlier. Good to know that I've improved at pushing the values, haha. I'll try including the backgrounds/props more, that sounds like a good idea.

My professor said that my biggest issues have been with edge control and making sure they're not too sharp. Is it just a practice issue, or are there tricks I can do to ease up my edges?

« Reply #108 on: Apr 29, 2010, 11:56 AM »
@Pi

Nice life drawings! You are doing well in shading, may I ask how long every drawing took? You really should practice some Bodyparts, especially knees! I also see a big improvement between the first and last drawings, go on with it!

Not my first ones and definitely not my best :P but I think I remember the requirement of up-to-date art in here and my best ones were drawn half a year ago. Every drawing took between 7-15 minutes. Life Drawing was for 2 hours (too short if you ask me :/ )

« Reply #109 on: Apr 29, 2010, 01:25 PM »
Nice work, man. I'd like to see how your really extended work comes out. Almost all the ones I put up took anywhere between 3-5 hours, some in class, some at home. They've all been assignments, so I haven't been focusing on specific bodyparts, although I might try that after the semester is over.

Something that I've been thinking about is the difference between what I've been seeing here (and what I've been "taught" here as well) versus what I've been shown in class. Here on Void, I think we've all taken a sort of "outlines first, then shading" mentality, which a classmate of mine claims is "an illustrator's style." In class we're encouraged to block out the shadow shapes first, then slowly refine it by adding more shadow layers and highlights, which I suppose would be "the fine artist's style."

For anyone else with this sort of training, have you found any advantages/disadvantages compared to the lines-first method? To be honest, I'm finding stronger results with the shadows-first method, but I'm worried that it doesn't transfer over as well when you don't have a model and strong lighting to reference from.

« Reply #110 on: Apr 29, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Pi, I'm just terribly curious, but I'd like to see something recent you've done that's not a life studies thing, something from you.  Because, well, man I don't know how to say anything without sounding like a jerk, but yeah, I'm just curious, not in a bad way but I wanna see what you can do. 

« Reply #111 on: Apr 30, 2010, 01:17 AM »
@Pi

Probably there will be never a chance to, at least not in life drawing. 3-4hour life drawings are very unusual around here. I have some portraits I drew digital with a photo ref. But, seriously, digital painting of photo refs is not really significant for someones abilitys. Link1 Link2

I prefer the the line method. But it's more an ability and tendency thing I think. I would call myself an prospective illustrator, so the illustrative way seems to fit ^^. Just use the way of drawing you like most. I don't think there is a perfect/best way to do life drawings. In the end it's only a question of taste.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2010, 05:00 AM by F3E »

« Reply #112 on: Apr 30, 2010, 04:06 AM »
Pi, I'm just terribly curious, but I'd like to see something recent you've done that's not a life studies thing, something from you.  Because, well, man I don't know how to say anything without sounding like a jerk, but yeah, I'm just curious, not in a bad way but I wanna see what you can do. 

Now that I'm back in school, most of the drawing I've done for the past few months has been for class. Some of it for my life drawing class, and some for my story development class. Neither is probably what you're looking for. The closest to finished thing I've done lately was the toon I did for an OC tournament on dA. You're a resourceful guy, I'm sure you could find it. It's not that great (and still unfinished, haha), but that should give you a pretty decent idea of what my stuff looks like.

« Reply #113 on: Jun 15, 2010, 01:32 AM »
Awesome! Posting late to an art jam.

So, I kind of wanted to experiment with doing something like this with Edgar. I used mostly reference from a coyote since that's what his facial structure looks closer to.
Wow... this looks really weird to me. I don't know how successful I was with the picture, but it was still rather fun to do anyway.

« Reply #114 on: Aug 04, 2010, 03:50 AM »
@Krat

I would say: Mission sucessfully! His face expression is adorable and his ears look outstanding realistic!

Reaism and Elves...I know, this is contradictory :P

« Reply #115 on: Aug 04, 2010, 08:43 PM »
That's purrty! I think you handled the "realistic elves" quite well!

« Reply #116 on: Aug 11, 2010, 09:43 PM »

using this as reference:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/dboyzero/semireallesson13.jpg

i really didn't get the face right, not sure if it's because i was working small or if it's because i'm rusty at charcoal realism.

« Reply #117 on: Aug 13, 2010, 01:43 PM »
Theres realism and theres relying on the source straight out of a picture,

the nose on her is either off a bit or her anatomical right eye is is too far away.

Down the line you should know when to ditch the original source material in favor of making a picture work.

Everything here is working you just need to tweak it with a few liberties if you can dare it.

Your body is successful but the head and face just needs a bit of careful tweaking.

You'd be surprised how much geometry goes on in a person's face, it gets rather engrossing and becomes very fun to master.

« Reply #118 on: Aug 13, 2010, 02:56 PM »
Most caribou pictures I see have thinner, more branch-like antlers, so I can see how people would assume this was a moose. It's a good drawing though, even if it's an elephant.

« Reply #119 on: Aug 13, 2010, 03:31 PM »
cherubas are you dumb
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #120 on: Aug 13, 2010, 06:42 PM »
I think he was posting in reference to the earlier part of this thread(in which there is a drawing of a caribou).....so it's not that he is so much dumb as unable to use the quote function...........or a calendar
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #121 on: Aug 13, 2010, 07:04 PM »
oh... my bad
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #122 on: Sep 04, 2010, 09:04 PM »

self portrait :D

« Reply #123 on: Sep 09, 2010, 02:27 PM »

Just going to throw this in here.
I tried to really push myself and lay down some more extreme dark areas, and even ended up using charcoal pencils.
Never really dared to do that before. Great experience, and a  pain in the ass too.

I also tried to make her humanly unsymmetrical, with horrific results.

My tries at touching it up fails. Sorry.

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2010, 02:36 PM by Rama »

« Reply #124 on: Sep 09, 2010, 03:48 PM »
damn, epic first post!!

it looks pretty fantastic to me, the errors aren't really noticeable unless you're looking for them.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

535 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 548.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us