Lyme's redesign hell

Lyme's redesign hell
« on: Apr 08, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Im not sure if theres any unspoken rules for the "level of finished" that should be reached before making a post here, but after posting my latest wip in the discord i was encouraged to come post here -sooo here we goo.

Around 2-3 months ago I began designing this character for another site, one similar in content to entervoid. Between struggling with the design process, struggleing to learn how to write comics for the first time, losing my file that contained a 6 page comic wip, other major projects, and the poor quality of that other site's community -i lost interest in the project. Here are the major iterations of the character from the time period:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Theres a lot still that im not showing, changes to major concepts and the like. From memory ive drawn nearly full ref sheets for a version that had a handgun + knife, some type of break-barrel rifle, some type of sword, some type of sword/gun combo, i could go on. Not to mention all the design work i did for all of those different kits in their own rite. I suppose what i am trying to say is that i'm fickle, to say the least. Perhaps more fickle than the average person? These changes wern't brought around by a want for something "more cool" but rather as attempts to find a character i can write more interesting action scenes around. None the less the project was abandoned, well, until i came across entervoid from from a tv-trops page on webcomic hosting sites yesterday, anyway.

Heres what i've got so far:

Ive progressed as an artist a bit since the previous drawings, so i'm doing (yet another) redesign of the character. One featuring more complex prosthetic arms (hes a human with alot of cyber augmentations) and wavey fabricy bits. Ive since settled on the gun-polearm-thing as well (yea its also a gun) Narrative wise im working from the ground up here still, as his narrative was deeply entwined in the lore of the other site i mentioned earlier, more to come on that!

lasty, some very very very early thumbnailing for the demo (which is guess is technically nsfw?):

While i'm well aware its so very early on here, id still love to hear any crit you've got. Cheers.
Hello? Is this thing on?

Re: Lyme's redesign hell
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2018, 07:24 PM »
First of all, thanks to Astrodile (and other various wonderfully supportive people from the discord) for the support! I guess ill hit that update now. I didnt have much time to draw on the 10th but i made some progress on my intro comic today. Ive gotten the whole thing thumb nailed and drafted. For most people thats the easy part, but ive always struggled with sticking to an idea, and because of that im very happy i was able to draft out the whole thing out in just a few sessions (with minimal redoing), my workflow seems to have come a long way since my first few attempts. looks like its gunna end up being a good six pages when its all said and done (not counting the cover page). Heres some previews from that are in no particular order, theres more to show but ill save the rest for when its more cleaned up and presentable.

Nevermind the text, very much a placeholder. Also, apologies for not waiting until i had something more finished to put an update up, i feel weirdly obligated to keep up with this topic now that it exists. Tomorrow (or maybe tonight after a long break) ill either start working on lineing/coloring the template page or the first page of the comic. i promise i can actually draw and not just rough sketch forever Cheers.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2018, 07:33 PM by Lyme »
Hello? Is this thing on?

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2018, 10:43 PM »
I have only one critique.

Stop apologizing for yourself.

These pages are fucking dope, man, I don't care if he's not available yet,  hitlisted! Hitlisted!!
Want a Smile shirt?
http://www.redbubble.com

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2018, 10:47 PM »
 Oh,  and I know it was brought up on discord, but just because the intro can only be 4 pages, don't think you can't incorporate the rest of the story in an immediate followup beyond battle. So don't toss any ideas, just try to condense the essentials into a 2-4 page intro, and once he's in, drop the rest on us. It's definitely a challenge, but anything you can do in 6 pages can be done in 4, if you really have to.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2018, 10:49 PM by Heathen »
Want a Smile shirt?
http://www.redbubble.com

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:30 PM »
After a busy weekend and some days of technical difficulty im back on the ball with this project. I've done alot of work in these last few days, so heres some previews.

As for the comic, thankfully i can cut 3 pages out of it and it still flows surprisingly well with minor tweaking. I think im going to shoot to have the first page of the intro lined and cleaned up before i return the ref sheet to switch up the workflow. Cheers.
Hello? Is this thing on?

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2018, 10:30 PM »
Oooooh yes this is looking good! You made a great choice with the bright orange lights played off with desaturated greens.

Cannot wait to get to know your character!

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

301 Guests, 3 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us