IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #175 on: Jul 21, 2017, 07:32 PM »
Yoshiko room 28 where things are looking weird from outside if you can see it from room 3

Spoiler: show

Yoshiko noticed the hinge door slowly close. The worse kinds of traps usually involve a door closing, separating allies and leaving the trapped to slowly perish from starvation and thirst even if they survived the trap itself. Even if this were not a trap, this would not do, closing up a familiar exit route like that.

She lead the dance towards a pose that let her extend her arm out, one where she took out and threw a crowbar towards the door.

Throwing crowbar roll: 1d20 +4  = (13)+4 = 17

The crowbar made its mark, jamming the door from fully closing. Even if the gap wasn't big, it would at least provide a point of leverage to open it from the inside or the outside.

Yoshiko began to sniff the air and raise her ears, keeping herself alert to the mysteries of this room. She really hoped there was no smell of rotting.

Perception check: 1d20 +4  = (18)+4 = 22

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #176 on: Jul 21, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Yoshiko, Room 28:
Spoiler: show
There is indeed the smell of rot--rotting wood and mulch, and also wet growth. There is the faint odor of flowers from another nearby room, and the muffled sound of grunting from some wild animal in yet another hallway.

You get close enough to (Room 34) to see inside its wide open doorway, noticing scattered gardener's tools leaning against the far wall.

You feel the papery caress of ivy vines creep across your shoulders. The dancing statue holds you gently but firmly around the waist as his two dancing companions move between you and the West door to the circle room. Vines erupt from beneath cracks in the flagstone floor and climb the statues, writhing along their limbs to animate them.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 08:31 PM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #177 on: Jul 21, 2017, 08:54 PM »
Yoshiko Room 28

Spoiler: show

1d20 +8 acrobatics = (16)+8 = 24

Yoshiko slipped down and out of the statue's embrace. Clicking her tongue whilst dwaddling her finger in a playful manner, she took the statue's hands and gently led it towards the hallway to the south.

Once she knows what that muffled noise is, she could make her choice of how to go about this. At worse, she had oil flasks and alchemists fire. Plenty if it.

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 08:58 PM by Jiisuri »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #178 on: Jul 21, 2017, 10:05 PM »
Lai Shan, Room 8:
You notice another door on the East wall, a small non-descript black door that almost blends into the shadows.
Spoiler: show
"Lune Litheriyen, eh?" the lizardwoman mummy says as she writes it down. "Pleased to meet you! Linneax Gruel, Reptile Archive Times!" She extends her withered hand with appealing professionalism. "It's been a while since I've had someone warm-blooded to interview. Would you mind?"

She looks over at the shell, then back at you. "As long as we're quiet, of course! Wouldn't want to wake young Subfoetens Torn, or his nurse will escort us out," she whispers, and begins to lean against the wall rather than sit. There is a creak like ripping stitches as she bends her knees slightly. Close-up you now see this mummy woman in full, bound in dried decayed linen. Her ribcage is exposed and stuffed with many tightly rolled scrolls of nice parchment.

"Ms. Litheriyen--may I call you Lune? Lune, where are you from, and what brings you to the Maze today? Scholarly pursuits, I bet? Are you hoping to score big, like so many young hopefuls before you? The competition is heating up, you know! Are you traveling alone?" Ms. Gruel's mouth hangs agape in anticipation of the answers.

The little mutant baby (apparently "Subfoetens Torn" according to Ms. Gruel) gurgles lightly in the coils of the shell.


Lai Shan in Room 8
Spoiler: show

Lai Shan bowed graciously and began her tale...

"I am so glad you asked! You see, I am not any ordinary scholar, but an academic scion of the esteemed Litheriyen family! Our family is the leading expert in the field of history and culture predating the Great Fall, and part of this study is to take a hands-on approach to uncover the mysteries of old. As a student of this most treasured history, I am tasked with initiation into the higher echelons of academia. And part of this involves a quest to acquire a relic of great value, knowledge, and history! Might you know of anything in this complex that might serve my purpose?"

[OOC: Deception 1d20+3 = (10)+3 = 13]
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2017, 12:44 AM by A Bad Idea »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #179 on: Jul 21, 2017, 10:24 PM »
OOC:
Con check to keep concentration on Detect Magic: @Aaron Khuulurgrek Grok:  1d20+2  = (16)+2 = 18


Aaron stumbles to his feet, rushing to get out of the way as the shadow pits swivel around to meet him. Too late, he puts the pieces together to remember what it was that Yoshiko really said. Too late, he notices the way the shadows were just a little too deep. Too late, he rushes to avoid them. Too late, he scrambles away. His foot slips into the moving shadow, and as he trips yet again, the shadow continues to rotate, the floor materializing right where his foot should be.

The experience is oddly fascinating. Time slows to a near stand-still as the molecules making up flesh and blood are replaced with stone. Aaron feels his flesh separating effortlessly, not quite feeling the pain but observing a soft ripping sensation, like pulling a chunk out of a very light cake. He feels the sharp jab of cold stone against now-exposed nerve endings, feels the hot throb of blood surging out of veins and arteries suddenly open to the air, feels the gut-churning grind of bone on the hard ground. Half-rolling, half-falling, Aaron escapes the radius of the shadows' path and slumps against the wall. He pants heavily, calling upon his feral ancestry to carry him through the pain and summoning his years of careful studying to keep himself focused and lucid despite the black flashes threatening to close in on his vision.

Too preoccupied to call out for help, Aaron prays for his companions to come to his aid quickly. He quickly pulls out his blanket and waterskin, cleaning the wound as well as he can (it's oddly clean already, to his surprise) and binding it up with several strips of cloth. He knows it's probably not enough to save him, but hopefully it will help somehow.

OOC: Medicine: @Aaron Khuulurgrek Grok:  1d20-1  = (7)-1 = 6

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #180 on: Jul 21, 2017, 11:20 PM »
Bonus;
OOC Luis thoughts:
"Senpai called me a dog, but I am a wolf. That's okay, because she finally noticed me"
"Oh wait. My best friend is dying. Shit"


Before Sovereign could finish calling him, Sparkly had already dropped his backpack and was now holding his Healer's Kit to help Aaron. Adrenaline making him run faster than usual.

Guided by instinct, he slid nearby their bugbear companion. "It's alright, bud. I got you" He said, as he took out the tools from his bag, and attended the injured one.
"Stay with me, bichoso*, can't have you losing conciousness right now"

Maybe in another instance, Luis would have laughed at Aaron's poor attempt of bandaging himself up, but he was too focused on getting him patched up. Once done, it seemed they could move to a safer place, away from the perilous shadows.

At that time, Luis thought he could carry him on his own but...

Luis' strength check
1d20-1 = (3)-1 = 2

Who was he kidding, even in this alerted state, his body wasn't able to push itself further to carry someone as a bugbear.
"S-Sovereign, I need a little help!"
Embarrasing, but he knew this wasn't about him, and wouldn't let his pride get in the way.

*Direct translation of bugbear; Luis' friendly nickname for Aaron.
Bicho = Bug
Oso = Bear
Bichoso
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2017, 11:32 PM by elge »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #181 on: Jul 22, 2017, 12:08 AM »
Seeing the poor bugbear lose his foot, Seth turned away from the sight. Blood and gore was not a foreign concept to him but it doesn't mean he could stomach it so easily all the time. However, he didn't expect Lady Chanterelle to witness the gruesome scene as well and tried to shield her with his cloak as she screamed.

"Don't let the sight overwhelm you. He'll be in good hands," the man says, trying to calm the priestess down. With whoever's left out there in the other room, he thinks Aaron will be in good hands. Maybe.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #182 on: Jul 22, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Standing over Aaron and Luis, Sovereign sheathes her sword for now and tries to drag the two out of the room with her free arm.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #183 on: Jul 22, 2017, 12:00 PM »
OOC: Str/Athletics: @Aaron Khuulurgrek Grok:  1d20+2  = (15)+2 = 17

"Back off, guys," Aaron growled, waving away his companions, "I can take it from here."

His leg now properly bandaged and no longer bleeding out, Aaron gripped his maul tightly, hopping with his remaining foot until he was standing again.

"My gratitude, Bluis," he turned and nodded toward his friend, then shifted his attention toward the west door. "I believe the feline went that way. The north room our nautical hero is in has some... stipulations that I'd like to avoid, and the room to the east is going to be especially arduous in my current condition, so I plan on accompanying our companion to the west."

Aaron carefully skirted the edge of the room, avoiding the shadows' radius as they circled, and entered the west door, following after Yoshiko. As he entered this new room, he watched the glow of his Detect Magic spell and surveyed the room.

OOC: Perception: @Aaron Khuulurgrek Grok:  1d20-1  = (3)-1 = 2
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2017, 12:47 PM by Bobo »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #184 on: Jul 22, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Grok losing his foot was traumatic, but what could Truman do about it? He wasn't a medic, he didn't have the strength to carry him, and he didn't have the personality to soothe his mind. It frustrated him to no end.

Damn fool is lucky to be alive. THIS is why we need to be sticking together, THIS is why we need to work as a team. These people need guidance.

Truman decided to check in on Lai Shan, make sure she hadn't sprung any deathtraps. He trusted her judgement, but if the smartest member of the team could lose a foot so casually, Truman didn't want to take any chances.

Truman peered into the staircase room, and took note of the position of the bodies on the... floor. Ideas started forming in his head, and soon he had a plan of attack. Tying a rope around a nearby sconce, Truman effortlessly rappelled down toward the door opposite him. Upon inspection, the door was locked, fueling Truman's curiosity.

OOC: Truman's Thieves' Tools roll
@Q-Bit:  1d20+6  = (8)+6 = 14


Unlocking it was easy enough. Truman opened the door just a crack, taking a peek at what was inside.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #185 on: Jul 22, 2017, 07:18 PM »
"Fine by me," Sovereign said, letting the bugbear go. She then went back to what she was doing earlier in [Room 3], which is going to investigate the [open North Entrance].

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #186 on: Jul 22, 2017, 10:29 PM »
Sharis stopped and looked in the direction of the commotion, seeing the grizzly sight, wincing slightly at Ashen's scream.

"Worry not, Fair lady, for the Bugbear will be fine. His reflexes might have dulled from his studies, but he it still more a warrior than most. Something like that will not stop him."

Sharis turns back to facing the mosaic room, smiling, placing his maul back in it's resting place on his back.

"I trust that this will properly inform the group the real dangers we face in the challenge before us. Now, I suppose, let us dawdle no longer."

Taking a squared stance, Sharis slaps his hands against his chest, and begins to move forward, dancing, each step a harsh movement, as if fighting an opponent only he could see.

Sharis spends an inspiration point on the attempt
1d20+1  = (5)+1 = 6
1d20+1 = (1)+1 = 2 <NOT USING THAT ONE

Minions, assemble!

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #187 on: Jul 23, 2017, 02:16 PM »


Yoshiko, moving from Room 28 to 29/30:
Spoiler: show

Yoshiko slipped down and out of the statue's embrace. Clicking her tongue whilst dwaddling her finger in a playful manner, she took the statue's hands and gently led it towards the hallway to the south.

Once she knows what that muffled noise is, she could make her choice of how to go about this. At worse, she had oil flasks and alchemists fire. Plenty if it.
The statue follows as you lead it to the South hall, where you find a room with a bench carved from natural stone. The bench is made for two, and the statue gently pulls you towards it, wanting to sit. There are no vines here, save the ones that continue to extend from the statue room, dangling from your dance partner's body.

The room to the East is blocked by fallen shelving units, but in the dark room beyond there is a large, lumpy, grunting thing that wants to get out. For a brief moment you think you hear it whisper in Common, but it mostly grunts.

Please make a raw WIS save to resist sitting on the bench.



Aaron, entering Room 28:
Spoiler: show

Aaron carefully skirted the edge of the room, avoiding the shadows' radius as they circled, and entered the west door, following after Yoshiko. As he entered this new room, he watched the glow of his Detect Magic spell and surveyed the room.
OOC: Perception: @Aaron Khuulurgrek Grok:  1d20-1  = (3)-1 = 2
You see animated vines creeping up from the broken floor, and a vibrant, living magic coursing through them. They seem to be interacting quite intimately with the black memorial statues standing here.

You see Yoshiko turn a corner at the far end of the room, wrapped in the embrace of an animated statue.


Lai Shan, Room 8:
Spoiler: show

"I am so glad you asked! You see, I am not any ordinary scholar, but an academic scion of the esteemed Litheriyen family! Our family is the leading expert in the field of history and culture predating the Great Fall, and part of this study is to take a hands-on approach to uncover the mysteries of old. As a student of this most treasured history, I am tasked with initiation into the higher echelons of academia. And part of this involves a quest to acquire a relic of great value, knowledge, and history! Might you know of anything in this complex that might serve my purpose?"
[OOC: Deception 1d20+3 = (10)+3 = 13]

Linneax Gruel takes down your information eagerly, but hesitates when you ask her for some intel. "Asking me a question?" She cranes her neck, leaning closer to you.

"Oh--OH! Am I being interviewed? How novel! I've never been interviewed." Her decayed expressionless  face seems to smile, somehow. "Let's see...valuables eh? I'd suggest you go North-and-West to see the Gallery, and North-and-East to see the Medusa's private collection. Oh, and if you ever want to visit me, come by the Archive! We're just North of the Gallery!"

The baby, Subfoetens Torn, begins to stir, and Ms. Gruel frowns. "The Prince is waking. Oh dear...we'd best leave quickly...oh, I knew I was pushing my luck! The first time in one hundred years I venture out of the Archive, and now I shall die all over again. Well, at least I'm in good company." She pats your hand.


Truman, in Room 4, scouting Room 174:
Spoiler: show

OOC: Truman's Thieves' Tools roll
@Q-Bit:  1d20+6  = (8)+6 = 14

Unlocking it was easy enough. Truman opened the door just a crack, taking a peek at what was inside.
You see a large cloakroom, with cupboards and closets, and a table with rotten hors d'oeuvres. A 3-foot tall figure waddling mechanically around the front of the room notices the door open and approaches.

"You're late, sir! Come on in, come on in! Please present your Invitation and come on in! Gifts to the right, in the buffet room! And may we take your coat?" The obviously clockwork peacock gestures to non-present assistants and awaits your response. "The majority of the guests have been here for approximately...approximately..."

The mechanical bird pauses and jerks, then returns to his spiel. ""You're late, sir! Come on in..."

In the far corner of the room, you see the ghost boy appear where the hallways diverge. He stands with his hands neatly folded in front of him.


Sovereign, entering Room 6:
Spoiler: show

"Fine by me," Sovereign said, letting the bugbear go. She then went back to what she was doing earlier in [Room 3], which is going to investigate the [open North Entrance].
There is a scraping sound in this dimly lit room. Metal on stone. A shadowy figure approaches. It is very old man with a royal seal sewn to his chest. The man looks very weak, and has been run through by three bastard swords. The points of the swords emerge from him at all angles. When the old man exhales, he breathes flickering neon gases that briefly illuminate the room before fading.


"Please help me, young maiden," he says to you with outstretched arms. "I am King Sanguifluus Torn, born old and never to die. Only you can grant this old sinner his death. Please...kill me..."

The is an open hall to the immediate West and a closed stone door to the North.



Sharis, dancing across Room 7:
Spoiler: show

Taking a squared stance, Sharis slaps his hands against his chest, and begins to move forward, dancing, each step a harsh movement, as if fighting an opponent only he could see.
Sharis spends an inspiration point on the attempt
1d20+1  = (5)+1 = 6
1d20+1 = (1)+1 = 2 <NOT USING THAT ONE

The mural Cyanoxantha comes to life. She stretches outward from the wall, looming over Sharis and watching his dance. She is a twisting, serpentine figure made of mosaic tiles, and her face animates with ghoulish pleasure at his rustic performance.

She looks to the doorway to await the next participant.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2017, 03:48 PM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #188 on: Jul 23, 2017, 03:16 PM »
Seth puts away his longbow and takes out a dagger in return. He steps away from Ashen as to not freak her out from what was going happen.

"Dear, I suggest you go on and sing us a tune if you're not willing to do this."

Suddenly Seth stabs his left hand, wincing a bit. He holds his hand to keep the blood from spilling too much, waiting for Ashen pass through the door.

@fukuro: 1d4 = (2) = 2
Seth takes 2 damage.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #189 on: Jul 23, 2017, 03:56 PM »
Sovereign, entering Room 6:
Quote from: Mister Kent

Spoiler: show

As much as it pleases Sovereign to finally have something to stab in this thrice-cursed maze, even she knows that randomly sticking her sword into people isn't the most prudent of choices. Usually.

"If three swords couldn't kill you," Sovereign says, while trying to unsheathe her sword as slowly as she possibly can, "what makes you think mine can, Your Highness?"

As she waits for a response, Sovereign tries to remember if she's heard of this so-called King before.

@Ten Dead Kings:  1d20  = (12) = 12 [History]


*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #190 on: Jul 23, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Sovereign, Room 6:
Spoiler: show
"If three swords couldn't kill you," Sovereign says, while trying to unsheathe her sword as slowly as she possibly can, "what makes you think mine can, Your Highness?"

As she waits for a response, Sovereign tries to remember if she's heard of this so-called King before.
@Ten Dead Kings:  1d20  = (12) = 12 [History]
You vaguely remember the name "Sanguifluus", some ancient tyrant, possibly connected to the Triarchy's reign, well before the last Armageddon. You remember overhearing some monks in a tavern mentioning going on a pilgrimage out past "the Fallen Citadel of Sanguifluus". You also remember most of a dumb old nursery rhyme:

The Bad Old King
Met Bad Old Knights
The Bad Old Knights
Fought the Bad King's fights
After one-thousand days
And one-thousand nights
The Bad Old King
Said "Kiss the Ring"

The Bad Old Knights
Became Bad Old Lords
The Bad Old Lords
Had Bad Old Swords
The Bad Old King
Ruled Bad Old Lands
With Black Demands
And Bloody Hands

The people of the Bad Old Lands
Thought power should be changing hands
They traveled for one-thousand days
Until they reached the Bloody Maze
They caught the King
And trapped his Friends
Bad Old Kings
Meet Bad Old Ends


The King huffs another flickering sigh, this one staticky and golden, lighting up like electric before dissipating. "No, girl," he says weakly. He accidentally scrapes a sword tip against the stone wall, and he winces. "I have enough swords within me, as well as the restless ghosts of my loyal knights. No, what I need is to have these swords extracted--only then can I truly die."

"Cursed with my mother's immortality, I served her kingdom, but not well, I'm afraid. I foolishly led our people into war, and am forever damned by the Medusa for it..."


Seth, entering Room 7:
Spoiler: show

"Dear, I suggest you go on and sing us a tune if you're not willing to do this."

Suddenly Seth stabs his left hand, wincing a bit. He holds his hand to keep the blood from spilling too much, waiting for Ashen pass through the door.
@fukuro: 1d4 = (2) = 2
Seth takes 2 damage.

Ashen composes herself, flinches as you bleed, then clears her throat. She strides beneath Cyanoxantha's gaze, singing a song.

It seems to pease Cyanoxantha, who looks to you eagerly.



*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #191 on: Jul 23, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Lai Shan, Room 8:
Spoiler: show

"I am so glad you asked! You see, I am not any ordinary scholar, but an academic scion of the esteemed Litheriyen family! Our family is the leading expert in the field of history and culture predating the Great Fall, and part of this study is to take a hands-on approach to uncover the mysteries of old. As a student of this most treasured history, I am tasked with initiation into the higher echelons of academia. And part of this involves a quest to acquire a relic of great value, knowledge, and history! Might you know of anything in this complex that might serve my purpose?"
[OOC: Deception 1d20+3 = (10)+3 = 13]

Linneax Gruel takes down your information eagerly, but hesitates when you ask her for some intel. "Asking me a question?" She cranes her neck, leaning closer to you.

"Oh--OH! Am I being interviewed? How novel! I've never been interviewed." Her decayed expressionless  face seems to smile, somehow. "Let's see...valuables eh? I'd suggest you go North-and-West to see the Gallery, and North-and-East to see the Medusa's private collection. Oh, and if you ever want to visit me, come by the Archive! We're just North of the Gallery!"

The baby, Subfoetens Torn, begins to stir, and Ms. Gruel frowns. "The Prince is waking. Oh dear...we'd best leave quickly...oh, I knew I was pushing my luck! The first time in one hundred years I venture out of the Archive, and now I shall die all over again. Well, at least I'm in good company." She pats your hand.


Lai Shan in Room 8
Spoiler: show
"But of course! I would not wish to overstay my welcome, and so I must depart! You have been of great aid to me, and it has been my honor to make your acquaintance!"

With a theatrical flourish and a bow, Lai Shan deftly and quietly exited the room heading northward.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #192 on: Jul 23, 2017, 08:20 PM »
Yoshiko, Room 29/30
Spoiler: show

resist vs sitting on bench: 1d20+2  = (10)+2 = 12

Yoshiko looked at the bench and her courtier's offer to sit. It seemed harmless. Comfortable really. Like nothing could go wrong. However, something about this felt a little awkward for her. Especially with the grunting thing at the next room. Especially. Did it just speak?

Needless to say, she thought it best to delay it for a bit, instead offering it to sit first, as she began to yell at the huge lump, knowing the statues wouldn't understand her.

"AY, Y'ALRIGH N'THERE LAD? Y'KNOW W'SUP W'TH VINES AN' STATUES 'ERE?"

« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2017, 08:25 PM by Jiisuri »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #193 on: Jul 23, 2017, 10:26 PM »
Seth, entering Room 7:
Spoiler: show

"Dear, I suggest you go on and sing us a tune if you're not willing to do this."

Suddenly Seth stabs his left hand, wincing a bit. He holds his hand to keep the blood from spilling too much, waiting for Ashen pass through the door.
@fukuro: 1d4 = (2) = 2
Seth takes 2 damage.

Ashen composes herself, flinches as you bleed, then clears her throat. She strides beneath Cyanoxantha's gaze, singing a song.

It seems to pease Cyanoxantha, who looks to you eagerly.


Spoiler: show
As Ashen made her move and sang her song, Seth went to move forward into the next room ahead. He allowed the blood to spill from his hand and held his palm towards Cyanoxantha's gaze to show that the wound was genuine. He hoped it was enough blood to satisfy the mural and that he didn't have to do anything else drastic.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #194 on: Jul 24, 2017, 12:21 AM »
Sovereign, Room 6:
Spoiler: show
"If three swords couldn't kill you," Sovereign says, while trying to unsheathe her sword as slowly as she possibly can, "what makes you think mine can, Your Highness?"

As she waits for a response, Sovereign tries to remember if she's heard of this so-called King before.
@Ten Dead Kings:  1d20  = (12) = 12 [History]
You vaguely remember the name "Sanguifluus", some ancient tyrant, possibly connected to the Triarchy's reign, well before the last Armageddon. You remember overhearing some monks in a tavern mentioning going on a pilgrimage out past "the Fallen Citadel of Sanguifluus". You also remember most of a dumb old nursery rhyme:

The Bad Old King
Met Bad Old Knights
The Bad Old Knights
Fought the Bad King's fights
After one-thousand days
And one-thousand nights
The Bad Old King
Said "Kiss the Ring"

The Bad Old Knights
Became Bad Old Lords
The Bad Old Lords
Had Bad Old Swords
The Bad Old King
Ruled Bad Old Lands
With Black Demands
And Bloody Hands

The people of the Bad Old Lands
Thought power should be changing hands
They traveled for one-thousand days
Until they reached the Bloody Maze
They caught the King
And trapped his Friends
Bad Old Kings
Meet Bad Old Ends


The King huffs another flickering sigh, this one staticky and golden, lighting up like electric before dissipating. "No, girl," he says weakly. He accidentally scrapes a sword tip against the stone wall, and he winces. "I have enough swords within me, as well as the restless ghosts of my loyal knights. No, what I need is to have these swords extracted--only then can I truly die."

"Cursed with my mother's immortality, I served her kingdom, but not well, I'm afraid. I foolishly led our people into war, and am forever damned by the Medusa for it..."


Spoiler: show

"Your sins mean nothing to me, old King," Sovereign says coldly, "However, undeath is an affront to the natural turning of the Planes. Before I end your torment, tell me more about this Medusa; who or what kind of being is she to have the power to inflict this curse on you, and how?"

As she's talking, Sovereign circles around the King, trying to examine the swords and the best method to pull them out.

"Who else has met their un-end in this maze as you did?"



*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #195 on: Jul 24, 2017, 12:01 PM »
For a moment, Aaron's curiosity gave way to the frustration that was really starting to kick in just about now. This fucking maze had just taken his foot, and he was not in the mood for any kind of funny business with these vines and statues. Dropping his Detect Magic spell, which really hadn't helped him that much anyway, Aaron summoned the elements to Create Bonfire on the nearest set of vines. His focus was a little clouded, so it wasn't so much a bonfire as it was a Scout Kids' campfire, but hopefully it would be enough to at least dissuade the vines from attempting to involve him in their nonsense.

OOC: Create Bonfire dmg: @Aaron Khuulurgrek Grok:  1d8  = (1) = 1 (must roll a Dex save DC 12 or take all that damage wow so much; also if the vines enter the flames or end their turn there, they'll take an additional 1d8 damage until Aaron ends the spell)

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #196 on: Jul 25, 2017, 02:35 PM »
Spoiler: show
Truman paused a moment.

"Invitation... remind me, what is the protocol for a lost or stolen invitation?"

He didn't quite expect any kind of coherent response from the mechanical bird, he decided simply asking it a question was worth a shot.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #197 on: Jul 25, 2017, 05:12 PM »
Just as he was going back to retrieve his backpack he had thrown aside to help his bleeding friend, Luis barely managed to see how Sovereign and Aaron had decided each to head to a different room.

"Guys, but what about keeping the group together..." The sudden spark of adrenaline had ended, and his body was now in a recovering state. He Currently didn't have the energy of shouting to be heard by them. He groaned, as he picked up his stuff.

As  much as he'd like to be with Sovereign, it'd be best to follow Aaron; While already patched up, he shouldn't push himself too hard. And maybe since they were friends, Luis could persuade the bugbear to slow down and rest.

Knowing what the Shadow Trap was about, he stayed close to the walls, until he stopped at the door Aaron was.

"You sure you're alright, fuzzy? I know you are pretty strong and all but-..."
Sparkly stopped when he saw his friend cast a spell.
"What are you doing, what's in here?"

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #198 on: Jul 25, 2017, 09:48 PM »


Truman, Room 174:
Spoiler: show

The mechanical peacock clicks disapprovingly. "Lost invitation? My, how careless of you! Well, you simply must have an invitation--or, the alternative would be to have a guest vouch for you." The bird leans closer suspiciously. "The Chancellor is trying to run a tight ship here, and all guests should be on time!"

The ghost boy lingers in the back, occasionally looking over his shoulder down the hall. There is a distant scream he seems slightly concerned about, but is maintaining his calm.


Lai Shan/Sharis/Seth, with Ashen, Room 9:
Spoiler: show

Lai Shan:
Linneax gently waves as you step upon a rope bridge to the North room. After you get a few steps out on the bridge you feel hear a muffled screaming from the room you just left.

You emerge from Subfoeten's room into a cavernous chamber consisting of rope bridges spanning a dark chasm. There are some torches dotting the North wall, but without more light it is impossible to tell how deep the crevasse beneath you actually is.

You spy another rope bridge to the West, and Sharis, Seth, and Ashen walk onto it from another room. Linneax seems delighted to see more subjects to interview. There is another bridge even further West.

Seth/Sharis:
Cyanoxantha seems pleased with your participation, and sinks back towards her East wall, not flattening into it completely but instead floating eerily one foot in front of the surface. She keeps her bulging eyes watchful for the fourth person to pass through.

You emerge from the mosaic room into a cavernous room consisting of rope bridges spanning a dark chasm. There are some torches dotting the North wall, but without more light it is impossible to tell how deep the crevasse beneath you actually is.

There is a rope bridge heading directly North from you, and there converge two other rope bridges, one to the West and one East. You see Lai Shan cautiously walking on the East bridge from another room.


Aaron/Luis, Room 28 AND Yoshiko, Room 29:
Spoiler: show

Aaron:
You hear a beastlike grunting South hall, where Yoshiko just walked, accompanied by a statue.

The tangles of vines are immediately damaged by the flames and curl back against the wall. The silent statues rush forward, their black expressionless faces masking murderous intent.

Luis:
Your canine senses pick up on the various rich smells in this garden room and the rooms beyond. Mostly sweet fragrances, rotting wood, but also some other mammalian presences.

Yoshiko, Room 29:
The romantic statue sits on the bench even when you decide against it. It pats the bench seat, clearly expecting you to succumb sooner rather than later.

The thing in (Room 30), which is barred by fallen debris, makes a host of sordid grunting sounds that would surely make your more demure teammates (or at least Luis) blush.

The creature presses its face to the dim edge of the barricaded entrance, its face about level with yours. The creature's body is that of a pot-bellied hog 5-feet high, with a fat sweaty human face and protruding horns. The creature's beady eyes blink at you.


You begin to have flashes of vision--golden treasure troves, a lush private island, a nice little mansion to live out the rest of your days in comfort. You wonder if this creature knows how to acquire such things. You almost feel compelled to free the beast and find out...

In the next room, you hear a commotion, like something has agitated the statues. Your courtier statue rises from his seat and reaches towards you!

[OOC: Vines take 2 damage from Bonfire. Everyone roll Initiative please!
Bad Statue Initiative: @Mister Kent:  1d20  = (16) = 16)
Yoshiko, make a raw WIS save to resist removing the barricade from the grunting thing, which will take your first round).



Sovereign, Room 6:
Spoiler: show

King Sanguifluus grimaces as the three swords shift uncomfortably within his torso. The sword wounds do not bleed, and the blades themselves look like they can be easily removed from the King's body.

"The Medusa is timeless eons old, and has seen untold Armageddons sweep the World clean. I am not as old as she, but like her I am undying. Born of the Goddess Chronia Torn, one of the Triarchy, I do not cling to life! Life and I are merely stuck together," he laments.

"The Medusa destroyed my three most loyal servants, trapped their souls within me, and sealed them there with these swords. Removing the swords will free all of us from our misery." He groans again, more loudly.

"A word of warning," Sanguifluus adds in a quavering yet grandfatherly tone, as if having a sudden spontaneous moment of clarity from the pain, and reaches for your arm. "As you explore the Maze, you will see things of strange and terrible beauty, and things not of your world. The rooms and all their beings, torn from other places like cross-dimensional driftwood. Never wonder how such things came to exist in this Maze. To qualify for imprisonment in the Maze is to be a singularly dangerous entity, one that the Medusa has deemed a threat to the continued existence of the World out there. Vigilance, maiden! Do not be fooled!"

King Sanguifluus then lapses once more into ragged breaths and groans of pain.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 09:54 PM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #199 on: Jul 25, 2017, 10:47 PM »
Aaron/Luis/Yoshiko, Rooms 28-30 INITIATIVE:
Spoiler: show

Luis @elgesugha:  1d20+1  = (18)+1 = 19
Id Pig @Mister Kent:  1d20 initiative = (19) = 19 << First round spent eagerly awaiting removal of debris
Bad Statues @Mister Kent:  1d20  = (16) = 16 << These statues clearly want to mangle you all with their misshapen fists
Yoshiko @Jiisuri:  1d20+4 initiative = (7)+4 = 11 << First round used pawing at the creature's barricade
Aaron @Aaron Khuulurgrek Grok:  1d20  = 8 = 8

Yoshiko's WIS check vs the Id Pig @Jiisuri:  1d20+4 initiative = (7)+4 = 11
STR check on barricade @Jiisuri:  1d20+1  = (5)+1 = 6
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 11:04 PM by Mister Kent »

 

Newest Comments -

 
Astrodile icon

Ashlan vs. THE BEAST OF VOID
@ 11:54 PM Jul 21st

Wirecat icon

Crikey Dile vs. Terminal
@ 1:24 PM Jul 21st

Desichan icon

Queen of the Night
Cadenza

@ 9:47 AM Jul 21st

Julz icon

Harlow Ironlocke vs. Wictor
@ 7:45 PM Jul 20th

 

Newest Characters -

 
The Abominable Dr. HoangAshlanEgg DealerAstroleoAzu FloresSehemaThe ProfessorsTiffanyShmagicPudding WashingtonLumin KaiHarlow Ironlocke
 

Open Challenges -



Latest Topics -

 
Graeskar and Oswood Duo Incubator 
Last updated: GhostlyGhosti - Jul 21, 2018, 05:26 PM
Steampunk Jam 
Last updated: Badger - Jul 21, 2018, 04:23 PM
/[|| RETRIBUTION: Order vs Chaos ||]\ 
Last updated: Heathen - Jul 21, 2018, 12:36 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Jul 21, 2018, 11:00 AM
LGBT+ Jam 
Last updated: Dechado - Jul 20, 2018, 11:28 PM
 

Latest Members -


Users online -

 
52 Guests, 4 Users



Most Online Today: 73.
Most Online Ever: 1,050 (Aug 30, 2015, 03:43 AM)

 

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us