IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #125 on: Jul 16, 2017, 05:31 AM »
Sharis tilts his head to the side, far enough to crack his neck.

"Hrm. My eyes don't work well in such dark. It might be better if one of you with sharper eyes take point. I'll guard the rear, and hold off whatever it is coming this way, if it catches up to us."

Sharis gives a toothy smile.

"If luck is on my side, I hope whatever it is walks fast.l
Minions, assemble!

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #126 on: Jul 17, 2017, 12:56 AM »
Yoshiko eyed the flickering light from the westward room.

"Th' foosteps b'comin' North. I'll check th'west door, see'sf a good spot t'ide... or f'there's goodies~"

She headed off towards the west door, keeping light on her toes, with intent to sneak close and check the door.

OOC: Yoshiko will be checking the door with her eyes, nose and ears to see if it looks like a dangerous door and get an idea of what is in it too. As quietly as possible.
perception: 1d20+4  = (6)+4 = 10
stealth: 1d20+6  = (1)+6 = 7

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 10:40 PM by Jiisuri »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #127 on: Jul 17, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Lai Shan proceeds into the room shortly after, keeping close to the east wall. Trying her best to stay out of sight of the north entrance, she checks the east door to see if it is unlocked.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #128 on: Jul 17, 2017, 10:48 PM »
Yoshiko:
You briefly hear footsteps as you enter, but they cease and you see nothing within the shadowy corner of the room.

As you round the curve you see that the opening to the West has no door, just a ten-foot wide arch leading into a circular room. The source of the periodic flicker is not physical torch, but a phantom light that circles the room at about 6-feet off the ground. Central to the room are carved stone cylinders of various heights. Their shadows sweep the room in a clockwise pattern. The wall features a faded fresco depicting silhouetted figures against a night sky. When the phantom light crosses the mural, it has the effect of a shooting star.

There is a closed door in the West and another ten-foot-wide arch to the North of the circular room. There is the muffled sound of metal scraping on stone from the room North of the circle, but that room seems decently lit.



The room of the main hall also has no door, its arched entrance reveals a long well-lit room. The door to the East (Corden is approaching) has a closed door of the same heavy material as the black door in Ashen's cell.

Suddenly, in the main hall and startlingly close to you, a deep female voice murmurs nearby as you survey the western room. "Hm...yes...it would be such a shame! To burn it all, and have nothing to show for it..."

A nine-foot tall figure steps out of a shadow, her hooves clomping on the stone floor. "Greetings, traveler," the dragon-like woman says, and bows her head, masses of tightly wound curls cascading from behind her great curved horns. As she emerges further from the shadow, she folds her blue wings behind her like a noblewoman's cape.

"I am Lady Crucem Capilli. Have you come to seek your fortunes, or are you fellow destroyers? If it is the former, best be about your work quickly, before this place is ended forever." She smiles widely. "This will be your only warning."

She looks south to wave to any visible party members.


(Lady Capilli is standing below the top central blue arrow in Room 2)
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 11:31 PM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #129 on: Jul 17, 2017, 11:47 PM »
Yoshiko's tail flared as she high tailed it into the west room, slipping in between the pillars and away from Lady Capilli's view.

"Capilli!? I'vner'eard o' it! Nay'seen th'likes o' an ugly things' you! Y'some ugly cat? Snake? What'cha on 'bout, destroyin' stuff?"

Yoshiko readied a flask of oil in her free hand, keeping an eye on the shadows for whoever approached.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #130 on: Jul 17, 2017, 11:55 PM »
Yoshiko:
Lady Capilli raises her hand and watches you dash away. "Oh my, what an interesting choice," she says with no small amount of fascination.



As shadows cross, you begin to feel the floor disappearing from under you! Your feline agility allows you to just barely leap up onto one of the stones as a gaping pit appears where the shadow lies.

@Jiisuri:  1d20 + 8 8 ACROBATICS BIATCH = (6)+8 = 14
@Jiisuri:  1d20 +4  = (1)+4 = 5
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2017, 12:08 AM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #131 on: Jul 18, 2017, 02:24 AM »
The sudden appearance of the ghost child caught Seth rather off guard as he nearly loses his grip on his bow and arrow. His cloak twitches a bit just as he turns to face the blue child, obviously annoyed.

"Bloody kid..."

Hearing Ashen's comments on the child and the impeding arrival of whatever's to come, Seth decides to move on ahead into the next room. Seeing both Yoshiko and Lai Shan deciding to investigate both of the eastern and western side of the room, he heads on over towards the northern end. However, he stopped in his tracks upon seeing the blue dragon woman making her appearance. Another pretty face.

"Aren't you a gorgeous sight? I would be lying if I said your words weren't so...foreboding, however. What sort of business do you have here?"

OOC: Seth is checking out how Lady Capilli acts and see if she's a danger or not.
Insight: 1d20+2  = (15)+2 = 17

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #132 on: Jul 18, 2017, 02:31 AM »
Sovereign, upon seeing the commotion outside, goes instead to Ashen and asks, "Who is this now? One of your friends?" referring to the blue dragon-like lady outside.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #133 on: Jul 18, 2017, 04:42 AM »
Sovereign:
Ashen smiles hesitantly. "Ah, never met her before, but have heard what it sounds like when people aggravate her. I once had to rattle my own chains to try to drown out the screaming...If we're calm and courteous she won't tear us to pieces..."

Seth:
Your estimation of the Lady is that she is a bit arrogant but truthful. You sense an immediate ease at your presence.

Lady Capilli softens at your approach. "My position is strictly mercenary--I have little care to judge anyone, you do seem of a similar kind," Lady Capilli says casually. "However, my clients have tasked me with the destruction of this Maze, and with the retrieval of important personnel. I will carry this out. It"s just--

She pauses, and her large tail curls around her like a vine. "Well, I've been giving it some thought. My clients did not disclose to me the vast amounts of art in this place. Unique, ancient pieces, provocative and sometimes dangerous--why, as an art lover, I could never bring myself to destroy the Maze without salvaging the best works..."

She maintains her aloof demeanor overall, but hints a bit of regret at her duty.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2017, 04:57 AM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #134 on: Jul 18, 2017, 10:38 AM »
"A ghost child and a high priestess to long-lost goddesses," Aaron mutters to himself as he observes the impatient scurrying of his companions. He watches through the door, carefully observing any auras cast by his Detect Magic spell, and sees the dragon-like woman speak to Yoshiko and Seth. Wracking his brain for any mention of such a creature returns little to aid his appraisal of this newcomer.

OOC:
Arcana: @Aaron Khuulurgrek Grok:  1d20+4  = (5)+4 = 9)


Aaron leans pensively on his maul, its crudely attached crystal sparkling in the dim light coming from the rooms to the north.

"Lady Chanterelle," he says, his eyes scanning the room and his companions who have entered it, "tell me everything you know about this place and how you came to be a prisoner here." His voice, rough from its monstrous origin, takes on a deep, soothing rumble as he speaks to the priestess.

OOC:
Persuasion: @Aaron Khuulurgrek Grok:  1d20  = (17) = 17

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #135 on: Jul 18, 2017, 04:13 PM »
Aaron:
To your eye, Lady Crucem Capilli is equally draconic and demonic in her nature. After studying this new stranger, you see a very faint magic glow emanating from the circular room Yoshiko had previously burst into (Room 3), as well as the circular room Lai Shan is approaching at the East wall (Room 4).
"Lady Chanterelle," he says, his eyes scanning the room and his companions who have entered it, "tell me everything you know about this place and how you came to be a prisoner here." His voice, rough from its monstrous origin, takes on a deep, soothing rumble as he speaks to the priestess.
Ashen Chanterelle drifts to the back of the group nearest to Sharis. "I have already named for you the sections of this place as I know them--the Halls, the Gardens, the Almery, the Cells, and more." she says. "And I know how I got here. In my day, the Triarchy and the Saurid Empire were at war--a war so great some feared it would be the next Armageddon, if you can believe it. Conspiring with traitors from both nations, the Medusa stole away the leaders of both empires and threw them in her private prison."

She calmly adjusts her blouse. "I suppose the war seems rather pointless now, all things considered. But still, it's only right that the Goddesses be freed from their cruel captivity."

Seth:
Lady Capilli speaks loudly so all within (Room 2) as well as Yoshiko can hear.

The ghost boy looks shyly over at Lady Capilli, then floats closer to you and hides behind you. Lady Capilli looms over you both, but pays the ghost boy no mind.

"Hm. Perhaps an arrangement can be struck! If it is fortune you desire I shall give you gold in exchange for any of the Maze's fascinating artistic works. I do have a personal wishlist, but for our first transaction I will consider anything you bring me."

She places a hand on your shoulder. "Would you like to do this for me?" she asks, directed at you specifically.

Yoshiko:
Perched atop the stone, you see pits open as the shadows pass, and peering into the briefly revealed holes you see a skeleton's upper half decaying in the darkness, the bisected remains of some fellow explorer.


Lai Shan:
Skirting Lady Capilli's reach, you try the East door and find it opens in towards you. As you test it, you feel a slight tug from the other side, however.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2017, 01:58 PM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #136 on: Jul 18, 2017, 05:45 PM »
"S'sa deal, Blue Lady! Also don't creep up liddat, love! Nearly lost m'legs ere!"

Yoshiko took out a candle, some string and piton. Lighting the candle, she dangled it downward, with intent to see the effect of light on the shadow traps.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #137 on: Jul 18, 2017, 06:00 PM »
Yoshiko:
As the string swings and the candle dangles, your experimental light splits the shadows and makes more holes in the floor.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #138 on: Jul 18, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Yoshiko retrieved her items.

"By th'way, shadows on th'floor ere b'dangerous lads! S'like pits! 'Ny o'y'mage-y types git some path'o'light spell?"

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #139 on: Jul 18, 2017, 09:48 PM »
While Lady Capilli was occupied, Lai Shan took the opportunity to push open the east door just so, and slip inside.

[OOC: What does she find?]

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #140 on: Jul 18, 2017, 09:58 PM »


Lai Shan:
The door opens towards you, and you feel as if you are pulling up against gravity. You peer into the room and get a brief disorienting sensation--you feel as if you are above the room, staring in from the ceiling. You see stairs leading down about 30-feet to the place where three stairways appear to meet. They tangle like a knot hanging in the middle of empty space. Nothing supports this webwork other than the stairs themselves, and none of these staircases have railings.

From the central knot, there are two staircases that lead off to other exits. For sanity's sake, you can try to think of them as North and West, but it might be a futile attempt to keep things straight.

(OOC: DEX/Acrobatics check if you want to attempt to use the stairs, DC 15. Basically you got this situation on your hands)
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2017, 04:26 AM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #141 on: Jul 18, 2017, 10:43 PM »
Seth knew better than to judge a book by its cover, but rather by what its pages. Despite Lady Capilli's draconic appearance, she seemed like a regular lady, one he could easily handle and a great fine arts appreciator.

He couldn't help but notice the ghost child suddenly coming to his side, however. He was annoying the first time when he appeared in the room earlier but he wouldn't be lying if he was curious just what was up with the ghost kid.

"My Dear, I would do anything to help out a lady in need but I just have one question," He motions to the ghost kid behind him. "you wouldn't happened to know his business here, would you?"

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #142 on: Jul 19, 2017, 04:39 AM »
Lady Capilli acts like she notices the ghost being in this room for the first time. "Oh, him? He wasn't part of my brief, my dear, so I couldn't say. And also, I'd be hesitant to tell you even if I knew." Crucem shakes her head, and her curls flop along her shoulders.

"No," she says decisively. "I cannot share anything, I'm afraid. Each individual exploration of the Maze should be unspoiled, a personal aesthetic experience. The Maze itself is a work of art in need of first-hand immersion--I wouldn't dare rob you that!"

A sly smile crosses her face. "However, since I like you, I will say this. I always see him floating in from the East, so there's that to consider."
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2017, 01:56 PM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #143 on: Jul 19, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Aaron turns briefly toward Ashen and the rest of his remaining teammates. "We will free the three goddesses, My Lady." He turns back towards the room to the north. "For now, we must explore the labyrinth that lies ahead."

Aaron strides carefully into the room and approaches the dragon–demon woman. His footsteps echo in the wide room, louder than he expected, but then again the time for stealth had long past anyway.
OOC:
Stealth: @Aaron Khuulurgrek Grok:  1d20+2  = (4)+2 = 6


"My humble greetings, Mistress," Aaron bows briefly as he stops in front of Lady Capilli, "it is truly an honor to meet one of your high magical origin. Might I ask more about what brings you to be here with us at this precise moment? I am a student of the arcane, and I could never forego an opportunity to learn from such a rare creature as yourself."

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #144 on: Jul 19, 2017, 03:07 PM »
[OOC: Acrobatics to Navigate the Escher Room 1d20+6 = (20)+6 = 26]

Slipping through the doors, Lai Shan could feel her sense of balance shifting. Placing a hand on a nearby wall (floor?) for support, she looked upwards at the twisted, knotting stairs and immediately knew what was going on. Ha, I did an exercise just like this back at the Syndicate training hall!

Confidently she kicks off the wall, turns in midair and lands on the center mass of stairs. Readjusting her alignment, she stands up (sideways?) and walks nonchalantly towards the door to the West and opens it.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #145 on: Jul 19, 2017, 03:36 PM »
Aaron:
Lady Capilli nods. "Naturally you would. I am rather extraordinary," she agrees. "I have teleported a vast distance at the behest of my clients to retrieve the one who is known as "The Closer of the Gate", "The Burner of Books", and "The Mnemoclast"--the Demon King Dendrosathol. First prisoner of Psathyrella Medusae. Her father."

"Once I am satisfied that the greatest works have been preserved, I will continue my work, destructive as it is, and free Dendrosathol. The destruction of the Maze is an unfortunate but inevitable side-effect."

Lai Shan:
When you first enter the room you step out onto the landing, steady yourself, and find yourself standing horizontally, staring down into the mad architecture. It feels as if you are rappelling down a vertical cliff face without a rope.


*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #146 on: Jul 19, 2017, 05:07 PM »
Luis groaned loudly, exaggerating, so everyone could hear him complain.

"So much for staying close to each other..."
He continued rambling. Puffed when moving next to Sharis and Ashen, letting them know his presence.

"I'll be your eyes, Triton"

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #147 on: Jul 19, 2017, 05:17 PM »
Truman made his way to the front of the group, trying not to stare now that he had a good view of Lady Capilli.

"I have questions, provided you have answers. Let's start with: What happens when this place is destroyed? Does the maze simply crumble, or does the entire plane collapse?"

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #148 on: Jul 19, 2017, 06:07 PM »
Lady Capilli raises her arm to gesture at the great hall. "No, this sliver of a pocket dimension will not fold in upon itself immediately, but within a matter of hours I believe it will indeed collapse. I suspect there are in fact several ways to destroy the Maze--when the time comes, your chance to escape will be limited."

She looks saddened, then slightly annoyed. "There's no chance to test it! You can only destroy a thing once. Perhaps it folds back into proper space, whence it came? Who can say, truy? However, then all its contents would be freed upon your world. So much the worse for you lot."

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #149 on: Jul 19, 2017, 06:38 PM »
"Y'even know where e'is love? Th' Demon King o' yers?"

Yoshiko prepared a few candles and tied them to the sides of her boots, lighting them and  stepping down from the stone, prepping herself to leap back up if the shadow still engulfed her light foosteps. If this worked, she planned to  head to the door to the west and take a peek.

 

Newest Comments -


Newest Characters -

 
KindervampenCrocoRocioKotSister KiteriaGhostThe Abominable Dr. HoangAshlanEgg DealerAstroleoAzu FloresSehema
 

Open Challenges -

 
No Open Challenges
 


Latest Topics -

 
The Doc is in 
Last updated: Shen - Today at 02:08 AM
VTHEATHER - Livereading comics in a podcast! - Episode 3 Out! 
Last updated: Happy December 16th! -Reecer6 - Dec 15, 2018, 11:51 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Dec 15, 2018, 04:28 PM
ELECTION 2018 Art Jam 
Last updated: Pita - Dec 15, 2018, 12:31 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Dec 15, 2018, 01:49 AM
 

Latest Members -


Users online -

 
80 Guests, 3 Users


[]

Most Online Today: 102.
Most Online Ever: 1,050 (Aug 30, 2015, 03:43 AM)

 

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us