IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #25 on: Jul 07, 2017, 12:05 AM »
Truman glanced at the cleric, giving him an unimpressed expression.

"And here I was trying to do something nice. Remind me not to do you any favors."

He turned his attention forward again, and motioned toward the eastern side of the building.

"Go check the east wing."

Without waiting for a reply, Truman started on his way toward the west wing.





This kid is going to get someone killed. Truman thought to himself.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2017, 06:29 AM »
Yoshiko readied her glass for the wine as she observed the painting once more as light gleamed at an angle towards it.

It still looks crappy in a dim lighting.

The painting's slapdash brushstrokes reveal no secrets, and no deeper truth. They simply form an impressionistic portrait of a woman cuffed to chains that dangle from the ceiling. An ominous black door looms in the background. It would all be almost erotic if it weren't so blah.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #27 on: Jul 07, 2017, 10:48 AM »
Favor? Is this guy being serious? If anything, only I am allowed to say I've done a favor for them keeping them alive!

"So, what part of "Divide... And Conquer" didn't you get-Hey!" He barked, as Truman completely ignored him and went on his way "Alright fine, you... You..." Followed by a word in Sylvan "[Jerk]!"
Luis stormed off in the direction the other had instructed to search.

This guy is going to get himself killed.

...

Slowly coming to a stop, it didn't last long before his conscience, and perhaps Monomythica too, started attacking him.
Tried his best to shake the feeling of remorse. Obviously easy to say but hard to do, try as you might fighting the voice of a godess, and see how that works for one.
He groaned loudly, as he turned around. But Truman was out of sight...

Luis facepalmed, messing with his hair for a bit.

Bones with vermin... He cursed inside his mind.

The options were trying to find this jerk again, or continue the search for Aaron. He quickly processed that the other would be able to handle himself if anything were to happen to him. Bugbear fuzzy friend would be then.
Continued his way, mumbling as he repeated the words Truman had used on him. "[Favors my tail...]"

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 10:57 AM by elge »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2017, 08:39 PM »
In the Rafter Room:

There's a sudden dull click, and a wooden beam in the corner slides out of place, revealing a hidden crawlspace, giving way to darkness. Braddock, Seth, and Sharis are startled by the secret door opening in their presence, but Yoshiko and Lai Shan remain unfazed.

Braddock dribbles his honeywine. "What the-!! Aaron, is that you in there?" the old man calls out.

OOC
Aaron's stealth check vs all passive perceptions
@cuteapoot:  1d20+2  = (12)+2 = 14

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #29 on: Jul 07, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Aaron coughs quietly. "Sorry guys, I uh... got distracted." He sheepishly holds up a book, The Exhaustive Abridged History of Voidheim's Subterranean Humanoid Cultures.

He looks around briefly before blurting, "Where are Bluis and the avoidant one?"

OOC: Aaron is horrible at names and tends to use personal descriptions instead. Luis only has a nickname because it was funny enough to stick and they've been acquainted for a while.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #30 on: Jul 07, 2017, 09:39 PM »
Yoshiko addressed the Bugbear in the room in a nonchalant fashion.

"Ohhey Aaron, dn't see y'there.Th'went off t'find you, actually."

She took a sip of Honeywine... and clutched her cheek with her free hand, her face curled up in an expression of pleasure. This wine would do very fine.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2017, 10:25 PM by Jiisuri »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #31 on: Jul 07, 2017, 10:04 PM »
"Well, that's simply foolish," replies Aaron nonchalantly, "I'm here now, ain't I?"

He slumps to the floor with a soft, fuzzy thud and buries his face in his book.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #32 on: Jul 08, 2017, 03:15 AM »
Seth clicks his tongue in annoyance of the Bugbear making such an unexpected entrance in the room. Almost made him spill his honeywine.

"Yes but now we're missing two of our friends now, aren't we?"

He stands up from his seat and heads on over to the ladder.

"Someone should go fetch them. Don't have too much fun."

In other words, he certainly doesn't want to be in the same room when the others start getting drunk.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #33 on: Jul 08, 2017, 10:05 AM »
Sharis smacks the crate with a start, holding some of the drink in his other hand.

"Aaron! There you are! Come over here, join us! A touch of revelry before the job, to ease the nerves and raise the spirits!"

Sharis tosses back his own glass in a go, pulling it away with a satisfied look.

"And a wonderful pick from you, Braddock! I could go for something a bit stronger myself, but a fine taste none the less!"
Minions, assemble!

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #34 on: Jul 08, 2017, 10:22 AM »
Without looking up from his book, Aaron absentmindedly reaches out and pours himself a glass, mumbling some sort of unintelligible thanks that may have been in response to Sharis or may have just been a burp. He takes a sip, his face brightening as the flavor hits his taste buds. He downs the rest of the glass in one go, holding the drink in his mouth and letting the alcohol burn and the sweetness sink into his tongue before swallowing the drink with a satisfied gulp.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #35 on: Jul 08, 2017, 01:08 PM »
Luis - East Wing
In the search for Aaron, you turn a corner and come face-to-face with a pretty older half-elf woman--Lady Alexandria Reed, Chief Librarian, pushing a squeaky cart with a pile of books taller than you.

She raises a finger to her lips. "I heard you and your friend arguing, dear," she says in her usual hushed tone. "Heard it all the way from my desk. Besides needing to be much more quiet, you really ought to find a way to get along." She digs through her cart and presents a thin book, entitled The Fine Art of Friendship.

"Voidheim is a harsh, unforgiving place, and it would be wise to find allies where you can. Who knows? That man may save your life, one day." She smiles and begins to put her books on a shelf. "If you're looking for Aaron, I sent him upstairs some time ago, you may have just missed him. You should round up Mr. Truman and head back up..."

Truman - West Wing
As you search the west wing, you can hear Lady Reed's rickety book cart far behind you in the other wing. You find a small table amidst the stacks, where it looks like someone left a small stack of books out. One left open is written in some language you don't understand.

You observe three men weaving between rows, plain men in casual dress.

But you recognize these men, not personally but in the way they move. Less like looking for a good book to curl up with and more like clearing a warzone. They are obviously on the hunt. You know these to be the Queen's men...

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2017, 01:11 PM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #36 on: Jul 08, 2017, 02:59 PM »
Still angry at the recent event with Truman, Luis made eye contact with the woman who had been so kind to welcome them to her library. Irked, he wanted so badly to tell the lady to Mind her own business, after she started speaking and attacking and nagging...
But he knew better. He couldn't just flip off the Chief Librarian, much less in Aaron's home.

Inhaled deeply, struggling to calm himself down.

Exhaled.

"Apologies, Lady Alexandria..." He stopped making eye contact, turning his face to the side, and crossing his arms. Still frowning. You could still hear him breathing funnily.
She caught his attention again when a book was put in front of him, put of instinct, he took the book and looked at the title. "The Fine art of-..." Luis stopped himself at the last word, sighing with disgust.

He continued listening to the Chief Librarian, paying half attention, as the feeling of being lectured was overwhelming him, not to mention he was also thinking about what to even make out of the tome he was just handed.
She eventually mentioned Truman, and how they two should make up and keep the peace between them. His loud breathing returned, shivering a bit too. Why did HE have to make amends with that... That [tonto]*! The mere thought of doing so boiled his blood.

But he knew Lady Alexandria was right. He ruffled his hair, gnashing his teeth, before answering "I'll do as you say... Thank you..." Turned around, as he felt rage growing inside of him again.


Well. At least now they knew where Aaron was. Luis felt embarrased that he didn't detect his friend as he went to the meeting room. Wanted to blame his outburst who had nulled his other senses.


*Fool

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2017, 07:21 PM by elge »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #37 on: Jul 08, 2017, 03:14 PM »
Lai Shan sipped the last of her second glass of honeywine, the familiar fizzy buzz gracefully giving way to a fruity, sweet aftertaste.

"I suppose I'll check on our 'search party'. I'll have those two slackards to blame if this bottle is empty by the time I return."

She set down her glass down next to Yoshiko and rose from her seat. "Save me a glass, would you sweetie?"

With a parting wink from over her shoulder, she crossed the room and descended down the stairs to the library. Remaining at the base of the stairs, she glanced around and kept her ears open for any sign of the two.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #38 on: Jul 08, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Adrenaline begins to flow as Truman recognizes the Queensmen in front of him. He quickly darts behind a bookshelf, playing out every possible scenario in his head. After some calculation, he decides to approach. Most of Truman's gear was in a bag up in the hideaway, but he always kept his trusty disguise kit nearby, for occasions like these. After quietly taking off and reversing his jacket, he threw on a wig from the kit. He knew not to go overboard with disguises like this, careful not to draw too much attention to himself.

OOC: Truman's disguise check (deception)
1d20+7 = (18+7) = 25


After giving himself a quick once over, Truman confidently strides toward the Queensman he assumed to be the leader of the bunch.

With a friendly wave, he asked, "G'devenin', guv! Need 'elp finding somefing?"

He spoke in an accent he had heard once before, while people watching. Anyone who had worked with him prior would know that his ability to mimic voices was second to none.

His next move, however, would depend on the Queensman's reply.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #39 on: Jul 08, 2017, 04:51 PM »
Sharis leans against the crate, having at this point replaced his glass with a bottle. He waves it around with a laugh.

"There ya go now Aaron! Not everything in life can be told to ya by books! Some things, you have to enjoy for yourself."

Sharis throws his head back, taking a deep drink straight from the bottle. He waves it again towards Lai Shan as she leaves the room.

"Don't move to quick now! I don't get to enjoy a taste like this every day!" Sharis laughs again, taking another drink.
Minions, assemble!

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #40 on: Jul 08, 2017, 06:51 PM »
The West Wing - Truman

After giving himself a quick once over, Truman confidently strides toward the Queensman he assumed to be the leader of the bunch.

With a friendly wave, he asked, "G'devenin', guv! Need 'elp finding somefing?"

He spoke in an accent he had heard once before, while people watching. Anyone who had worked with him prior would know that his ability to mimic voices was second to none.

His next move, however, would depend on the Queensman's reply.

The tallest of the men, a bold high elf with a "mean schoolgirl" smirk, approaches without hesitation. "Hm? Yes~my companions and I seek some, rare volumes...tell me, could you direct me to the books on Art? Paintings especially..."



The weary tiefling in a monk's robe grumbles at his cohort, while the imposing man with the eyepatch remains silent. The high elf continues: "I have a running bet with my friends, see, and it involves this old work of art. My monk friend claims it was painted by Cassilo of St. Nguyen, but I just know it's one of Princess Therofera's early pieces...Care to help settle a bet?"

[OOC:Truman knows the Art section is the West Wing, where Luis is currently]
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2017, 07:32 PM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #41 on: Jul 08, 2017, 07:27 PM »
Yoshiko raised an OK sign at Lai Shan before she left as she continued savoring her glass of wine. She filled the other glass with a refill, prepping it for Lai Shan lest Sharis down the entire cache before she could return.

"By th'way, y'all seen'th edgy warlock'round? "

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #42 on: Jul 08, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Yoshiko:
"By th'way, y'all seen'th edgy warlock'round? "
Braddock shakes his head and takes another drink. "Not as such, no. But, I hope he gets here quickly. When the moon's in position, and provided this thing actually works, it's show time..."

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #43 on: Jul 08, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Leaning against the railing of the stairs, Lai Shan could hear voices coming from the west wing. Curiously, she makes her way slowly through the halls, keeping close to the walls and shadows to see if she can get close enough to hear...

OOC: Lai Shan's Stealth Roll
1d20+6 = (6)+6 = 12

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #44 on: Jul 08, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Lai Shan:
You creep ever closer, enough to hear a strange, unfamiliar voice conversing with a man about art.

Truman-in-disguise:
As you stand with the trio, the high elf's eyes dart towards a distant aisle, as if he's heard something else nearby. He turns back to you almost immediately, awaiting assistance.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2017, 08:41 PM by Mister Kent »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #45 on: Jul 08, 2017, 09:52 PM »
"Art section would be, dissaway, I b'lieve."

Truman begins his stroll toward the front of the building, with the trio in tow, around the poetry section making up the bulk of the building's center.



As they stroll, Truman points out various sections, stalling as much as he can afford to without raising suspision.

"Okay, so, from 'ere, Architecture is left and Art is forward. Or do I 'ave that twisted? One second."

Truman uses this moment to look down the aisle to see if Luis is clear from view yet.

"Say, I ain't much of a patron of t' arts, but I'm curious, what's t' name of t' paintin' you're lookin' for? Maybe I've read 'bout it?"

OOC: Pay no mind to the inconsistent accent, I was going for Cockney but I missed the mark.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #46 on: Jul 09, 2017, 12:48 AM »
Don't be afraid to be nice. Be yourself.


"Wait, which one? Can't do both" Luis thought, as he stopped to examine the sentence, bringing the book closer to his eyes, as if that would help him to understand it better.
He let out another one of his infamous groans, a subtle one too, as he knew   Lady Alexandria wouldn't enjoy him being loud again. And Luis, just thinking about getting lectured, was already feeling dreadful. It was obvious he regretted borrowing the book.

He continued walking as he scanned the pages, he'd need to be sitting down to actually care to read it properly. Took his eyes off of it for a moment, would probably end up crashing with someone or something if he walked mindlessly.



Luis soon noticed he was at the other side of the wing. Where Truman was supposed to be at... "...Where's that [pendejo]*?"

His nose detected several scents that stood out from books and dust. Could be Truman, or someone else. Maybe even Aaron, who came back looking for them.

Luis' Perception roll to acknowledge Lai Shan, Truman, and/or The Unknown Trio are nearby
1d20+2 = (11)+2 = 13


 
*Incredibly stupid; very offensive way to call someone a dumbass
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017, 05:29 PM by elge »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #47 on: Jul 09, 2017, 02:13 AM »
SOVEREIGN was running late, but eventually she arrives at the library.



Pushing open the door, she passes by the empty front desk and makes her way to the secret attic room, where the painting should be.

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #48 on: Jul 09, 2017, 03:55 AM »
Upon reaching the lower floor, Seth wandered through the shelves of the West Hall, keeping an eye out for either Truman or Luis. Whoever came first.

Just moments after passing by the 6th row of shelves, a group of men caught his eye - one of which happened to sound an awful like Truman. What is he up to now? he thought to himself as he narrowed his eyes at the group. Rather than confront the men and possibly set some chain response off, he'd rather go around and stick to the bookshelves as he passes through the Explorer logs, trying to watch in secret.

OOC: Seth's Stealth Check
1d20+5= (4)+5 =9
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017, 05:53 PM by fukur0 »

*
Re: IC - VOID PLAYS: Maze of the Blue Medusa / D&D 5E
« Reply #49 on: Jul 09, 2017, 07:05 PM »

Sovereign:
As you bound into the front reception area, you see three men following another man off to the right, where art references abound. The three men slow in their tracks, and the tall elf looks you over with great interest.

Truman:
The tiefling monk responds to you. "I doubt you've heard of the painting--False Chanterelle? Its artist remains unknown, and I remain unconvinced of its origin..."

As you lead the three queensmen towards the art section, you sense their pause behind you. And there stand Sovereign about to head up to the meeting.

The high elf clears his throat and addresses his cohorts. "You know, gents, our bet can wait for another evening. The hour grows late, and surely the Great Library will be closing its doors soon. Let us retire to the pub next door." With that, the three gather up to move to the exit.

The Rafter Room:
As the moon begins to rise in the night sky, anyone observing the painting can see a pale aura emanating from the brushstrokes.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2017, 07:49 PM by Mister Kent »

 

Newest Comments -

 
Crocostyle icon

Intro Story
Ashlan

@ 3:28 PM Jul 18th

Golden icon

Crikey Dile vs. Terminal
@ 5:22 AM Jul 18th

Heathen icon

Harlow Ironlocke vs. Wictor
@ 10:49 PM Jul 17th

 

Newest Characters -

 
AshlanEgg DealerAstroleoAzu FloresSehemaThe ProfessorsTiffanyShmagicPudding WashingtonLumin KaiHarlow IronlockeSebastian
 

Open Challenges -



Latest Topics -

 
Challenges Thread 
Last updated: Heathen - Today at 06:40 PM
DIOV CITY Tournament 
Last updated: Majikura - Jul 17, 2018, 11:15 PM
Pinstripe Jam 
Last updated: Desichan - Jul 17, 2018, 09:17 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Jul 17, 2018, 08:06 AM
Mentor and Trainee Trials 
Last updated: yarnwitch - Jul 15, 2018, 04:53 PM
 

Latest Members -


Users online -

 
73 Guests, 4 Users



Most Online Today: 86.
Most Online Ever: 1,050 (Aug 30, 2015, 03:43 AM)

 

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us